What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stan Musial passes away at the age of 92 (1 Viewer)

Brady Marino

Footballguy
Link
One night after his longtime friend and teammate Red Schoendienst was honored on his upcoming 90th birthday, fellow Cardinals Hall of Famer Stan Musial died quietly at age 92 at 5:45 p.m. Saturday at his St. Louis County home under Hospice care.Musial’s family members who did not live here had gathered in the last day when Musial’s health had deteriorated. A family spokesman made the announcement.Musial, who turned 92 in November, has been in declining health for the last several years, including being afflicted with Alzheimer’s disease. Lillian Musial, his wife of more than 70 years, had died last May 4.Considered the greatest Cardinal of them all, Musial also likely was the most popular Cardinal of them all, continuing to make his home in St. Louis after his retirement in 1963.Playing his entire 22-season career with the Cardinals, Musial is the franchise leader in virtually every category, including hits at 3,630, splitting them evenly at 1,815 at home and 1,815 on the road.Selected to play in a record-tying 24 All-Star Games, Musial won seven National League batting titles.Signed to a professional contract by the St. Louis Cardinals as a pitcher 1938, Musial was converted into an outfielder, where he made his major league debut in 1941.At the time of his retirement, Musial held or shared 17 major league records, 29 National League records, and nine All-Star Game records. In addition to overseeing businesses such as Stan Musial and Biggie’s restaurant, Musial served as the Cardinals' general manager in 1967 and then quit after his team won both the National League title and World Series that year.Musial was selected to the Major League Baseball All-Century team in 1999 and President Barack Obama presented Musial with the presidential medal of freedom, the highest honor that can be bestowed on a civilian, at the White House on Feb 15, 2011.A bronze statue has stood outside the last two Busch Stadium facilities, now residing on newly-dedicated Musial Plaza. The inscription reads, “Here stands baseball’s perfect warrior. Here stands baseball’s perfect knight.”
The man was called "Baseball's Perfect Knight" for a reason. A world-class human being through and through. RIP Stan the Man. You'll be missed. :cry:

One of the more underrated of the all-time greats. He outlived his wife of 70 years by only nine months.

One of the more underrated of the all-time greats. He outlived his wife of 70 years by only nine months.
Agreed, but you'll never find a guy more universally revered by a fan base. This guy was the embodiment of what Cardinals baseball means to a lot of people.

Agreed, but you'll never find a guy more universally revered by a fan base. This guy was the embodiment of what Cardinals baseball means to a lot of people.
True but Musial wasn't mythologized by the National media like Mantle, Mays and Yogi. He never had the mystique of Williams or Koufax. Aaron had his record. Clemente and Robinson had social significance. Musial was a ballplayer in St. Louis.

True but Musial wasn't mythologized by the National media like Mantle, Mays and Yogi. He never had the mystique of Williams or Koufax. Aaron had his record. Clemente and Robinson had social significance. Musial was a ballplayer in St. Louis.
No argument there. And that's a shame, because Stan Musial represented a lot of what is right with baseball.

RIP. My mom met him as a young girl and had an autographed baseball which was lost sometime in the last 55 years. Wish we still had that.

Funny that when polled, Cubs fans would point to Musial as their all-time favorite and not one of their own. What a sad thought that (an) idiot on this board has the thought of F the Cardinals at the passing of a true gentleman who's contributions to the game far exceeded his enormous talent on the field.

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny that when polled, Cubs fans would point to Musial as their all-time favorite and not one of their own. What a sad thought that (an) idiot on this board has the thought of F the Cardinals at the passing of a true gentleman who's contributions to the game far exceeded his enormous talent on the field.
Link?

'Tremendous Upside said:
Link?
It was an anectdote I heard during the eulogy - possibly completely unfounded - but it got me to thinking of the way he transcended being a Cardinal. Yes he is revered by the Cardinal fans (sorry, no link, you'll have to take my word for it) - but bigger than that is what he did once he was done playing. He was a gentleman and a "perfect knight".

'Tremendous Upside said:
Link?
It was an anectdote I heard during the eulogy - possibly completely unfounded - but it got me to thinking of the way he transcended being a Cardinal. Yes he is revered by the Cardinal fans (sorry, no link, you'll have to take my word for it) - but bigger than that is what he did once he was done playing. He was a gentleman and a "perfect knight".
I can't think of a player more universally loved or respected.

Users who are viewing this thread