What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Wife is upset because I don't want to have TG with strangers. (1 Viewer)

Should I...

• Go to her friend's house for Thanksgiving.

Votes: 66 43.7%
  • Stand my ground.

Votes: 13 8.6%
  • Bang the friend then tell my wife, "I told you this was a bad idea".

Votes: 65 43.0%
  • Tell her to go without me and spend Thanksgiving with a "friend".

Votes: 7 4.6%

• Total voters

Arizona Ron

Footballguy
My wife sprung this on me last night; she planned for the three of us (wife, daughter and me) to spend Thanksgiving at her friend's house from work.

I asked if this was some large event with lots of people planned? She said no, it would just be the three of us, her friend, friend's husband and daughter (I foresee lots of awkward, forced, trying to get to know each other moments).

While I think it's a nice gesture, I don't feel comfortable meeting people for the first time at the dinner table on Thanksgiving.

I'm not 100% into tradition but this just seemed weird to me. I didn't plan on cooking because I've been traveling non-stop these past few months and took 10 days off to decompress.

My plan was to eat out like we usually do or make something small at the house (e.g. I'm not cooking 10 side dishes).

The wife cooking isn't an option, she's a horrible cook.

She should have asked you first, but at this point, just suck it up and go. Tell her for the future, this is something she can't decide on her own. Oh, and sleep with the friend.

Ugh. I would hate having to spend Thanksgiving with strangers. But I agree that putting your foot down now may just create more problems.

But man, this would piss me off to no end. Be sure to take a long nap on their couch after eating, drunk and snoring preferably.

She should have asked you first, but at this point, just suck it up and go. Tell her for the future, this is something she can't decide on her own. Oh, and sleep with the friend.
You think it's worth potentially ruining a holiday? I don't know these people, I don't know what their religious beliefs are (or how strong), I don't even know if they drink.

Just find out if they are going to have the NFL games on TV and you should be good to go. If not, absolutely do not go. One time this happened to me and the people were watching 2 mules for sister sara. :toilet: I'm not kidding. minutes seemed like hours.

You think it's worth potentially ruining a holiday? I don't know these people, I don't know what their religious beliefs are (or how strong), I don't even know if they drink.
I assume since they work together that you are not traveling 8 hours to get there. Sure it may be a wasted afternoon, but not sure I would call it "ruining" a holiday.

I assume since they work together that you are not traveling 8 hours to get there. Sure it may be a wasted afternoon, but not sure I would call it "ruining" a holiday.
I agree that's taking it a bit far. I always feel like I'm in work-mode when I go to things like this. I'd prefer someone I knew to be a little more comfortable to let the drinks and jokes fly.

Being PC on a holiday is just un-American imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go and drink all of their booze. If you can't finish it all, bring the bottles home with you.

Go and have a good time. Don't be petty, life is too short. Its only a few hours right? Making wife happy will make you happy. Small sacrifice if you ask me.

I try to beat her to the punch and make TG plans first, even if it is to just stay at home and be low key. Works some of the time :shrug:

While I agree that your wife messed up by not talking to you about this before now, I also agree that it would be best for you to go.

Of course, if they don't drink and there is no football, you should have ipecac in your pocket to induce vomiting so you can leave early.

This has "didn't know my coworker's husband was black when I invited them to my home" potential.
My wife did this to me once when we were still dating. I had met her good friend (super white) but not her friend's husband (black). We were going to her friend's son's birthday party and they thought it would be funny to not tell me.

The payoff was the confused look on my face, something like "Am I at the right house?" when they opened the door. My future wife and her friend immediately broke out laughing at me. Jerks.

Would have been more interesting if the "rs" got lopped off the thread title.

This has "didn't know my coworker's husband was black when I invited them to my home" potential.
My wife did this to me once when we were still dating. I had met her good friend (super white) but not her friend's husband (black). We were going to her friend's son's birthday party and they thought it would be funny to not tell me.

The payoff was the confused look on my face, something like "Am I at the right house?" when they opened the door. My future wife and her friend immediately broke out laughing at me. Jerks.
:lmao: Jesus.....

:lmao: Jesus.....
:lmao:

I can't decide how I feel about that story.

You should definitely ask your wife if her friend knows that you're black. And then ask "how black do they think I am?" This could have serious potential.

Considering everything else you guys do with strangers and friends I'm thinking eating turkey is a rather easy sacrifice to make. Plus you know the wife will be bored when her husband is all triptofaned out and sleeping in front of the tv.

If you're worried something won't be fun, Ron, make it fun. And then liveblog it in the FFA so we all have something better than a Detroit/Chicago game to look at.

Personally, I can't imagine a situation where I went to a someone's house I didn't know and being confused because the person who answered the door wasn't white.

Personally, I can't imagine a situation where I went to a someone's house I didn't know and being confused because the person who answered the door wasn't white.
True, but in this case the chick was super white.

True, but in this case the chick was super white.
almost clear

Users who are viewing this thread