What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RTD Q&A -- Article published (1 Viewer)

Jene Bramel

Footballguy
Okay, this took a couple of days and a few thousand words longer than I expected with all the great questions submitted. Thanks to everyone for contributing.

RTD Q&A: What's Vexing You?

------​
I'd like to make next week's Reading the Defense a Q&A.

As usual, I'd rather not do team-specific advice, but questions on strategy, the recent tier articles, depth charts/position battles, OTA news, etc. are all welcome.

What's vexing you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jene,

One thing in your DL tiers stuck out to me. Unless I missed something I don't recall seeing Andre Branch ranked. It seemed like he heated up quite a bit in the latter half of 2013 and could be a young DE to target. Why the lack of love?

Thanks for all the great work.

hi jene,

we always hear about the importance of tiering players, but rarely hear about the process. could you elaborate on tiering in general, and any tinkering you do with it.?

appreciate your work,

what do you make of the Bears defensively? it seems like they are all over the place. Bostic vs DJ Williams. Jared Allen added. Rookie Vereen starting possibly over Conte (who was an abomination at the position).

Hi Jene,

I am wondering what yours thoughts on Jonathan Massaquoi are. He is listed as a DL in my league, Atlanta fans seem to value him highly, and it seems like he could get a lot of snap in Atlanta's new defense. I noticed he isn't represented in the projections currently.

Thanks,

Neil

To Dr. Jene the squirrel-whisperer....

How do you see Jurrell Casey faring this year with the switch to defensive end? Where would you rank him amongst the field? Top 25? Thanks in advance!!!

Who do you think are the most overrated (or overdrafted based on ADP) IDP players for 2014?

Ok, i have a few-

With whispers that Keenan Ribinson is getting first team reps at OTAs, can you remind us about the type of LB he is- my recollection is that he wiuld play on 3rd down, but it has been a while since he was fantasy relevant.

Cincy LBs- how is this all going to shake out on 3 rd down if Rey beats out Rey Maualuga at MLB? You have two very goid coverage LBs in Burfict and Lamur, and Rey is an asset on 3rd down as well.

Who will start opposite Carlos Dunlap at DE? My money is on Wallace Gilberry, but there are a lot of pieces there- maybe a combination of one guy on early diwns and another on 3rd?

I am curious about what is going to happen in Green Bay with Brad Jones. He played hurt last year, but underperformed. They didn 't bring in any competition, suggesting they actually think he will be good if healthy. Lattimore looked bad when given playing time, so i doubt he's real competition, but i can't seem to figurevthis one out.

Koa Misi seems to be a liability on passing downs in the past- has he improved or is this a wake up call to ellerbe and wheeler? Or do all three come off the field and they use Jelani Jenkins in that role?

Miami DE- i'm suspecting there will be a rotation with vernon, wake and Jordan, with wake fading out over the next couple if years? Your thoughts?

I loved the tape on Kyle Van Noy- seems like he is always around the ball. With a three down role, will he be valuable this season?

I assume this is a red shirt year for Dominique Easley due to the ACL tear? Seems like he is going to be full strength in 2015 rather than 2014.

Why was Demarrio Davis so disappointing last season? I think part of it is due to the strong line play, but if you believe PFF, some was also due to him underperforming. He seems like he may be in for more of the same this season, although David Harris' stats were respectable, so maybe it was more his play? Scheme?

In Baltimore it seems there are 3 puzzle pieces to fit into two slots at ILB, Brown, Smith and Mosely. Seems like Brown will play on 3rd downs only, who comes off if that is the case?

Any ideas about Dekota Watson? Seems like he is suddenly ticketed for an interesting Von Miller type role in Jax. He seems like a guy who may have a situational value, even though he has not been special to date.

Do the Raiders have two Khalil Macks in the real Mack and Sio Moore? This would seem to be a very interesting set of chess pieces for the DC, if they plan to use them similarly.

Was Manti Teo's 2013 due to performance or injury?j

Lots of buzz about the Atl rookie LBs (same as last year)- makes me worried that Worrilow will only play on 1st and 2nd down (hard to imagine that Weatherspoon will come off the field).

Is Bruce Irvin, the new "Leo", if so, shouldn't he be getting some love?

OK, just little rumblings around in my head to give you some fodder for discussion.

The DL1 w/ Elite Upside tier is huge as you know. Hopefully preseason will help narrow it down.

I realize the tier is top-down in order of highest floor. But could you offer additional early evaluation and gut feel as to who from this group is most likely to break out (return) to the Elite tier in terms of sacks (i.e. 15+)?

TIA

Is Brad Jones losing ground to Lattimore in Green Bay ?

Who's gonna play DE opposite to Dunlap in Cinci ?

Will Justin Durant really play MLB for the Cowboys ?

Is Woodyard gonna be a fantasy monster with the Titans (if he stays healthy) ?

OK, since I have a slow day at work, I looked up the Brad Jones thing. He is practicing with the first team D, but I keep reading hearsay things like this:

We know the Packers liked what they saw from linebacker Jamari Lattimore in a backup role last season. Otherwise, they would not have made him a $1.431 million restricted free agent offer (which he has yet to sign). Now, it appears they want him on the field more. He played a variety of roles in practice and appears to have slimmed down.

Then this (also from the same source Rob Demovsky, ESPN packers blogger):

Likewise, there could be additional roles for the inside linebackers. While Brad Jones and A.J. Hawk do not appear to be in danger of losing their spots, Jamari Lattimore could see the field more, too. He was featured prominently during Thursday's practice in a variety of roles.

​And I read from a different blogger that Jones has been practicing with the first team.

Maybe one more question- Sean Lee in the future- we know that multiple injuries eventually can start to take a toll, particularly if they are lower leg injuries. Any concerns with Sean Lee going forward, or have his injuries been enough of the variety that do not lead to long term effects on play?

I'm really interested in hearing what you think about Malik Jackson in Denver, both this season and going forward. A good dynasty pickup? Ceiling/Floor?

Having just lost Jurell Casey and Haloti Ngata to DE re-classification, in a DT required league, are there any sleeper DTs or newly assigned DTs one should be looking for?

Could you please explain the different role/responsibility and fantasy implication of SILB vs WILB in a 3-4 scheme?

In tackle-heavy leagues, LB value in a 4-3 scheme is typically straightforward: MLB > WLB > SLB. Talent aside, I've always struggled determining which ILB spot is more favorable in a 3-4 scheme. With new ILB's in Arizona, Cleveland and Pittsburgh moving Timmons from one ILB spot to the other (while adding Shazier) I find the distinction more important than ever.

Thanks in advance.

Okay, this took a couple of days and a few thousand words longer than I expected with all the great questions submitted. Thanks to everyone for contributing.

RTD Q&A: What's Vexing You?

I'll also leave a link in the first post of the thread.

Users who are viewing this thread