What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sean Weatherspoon done for the season (1 Viewer)

Young 8

Footballguy
Falcons WLB Sean Weatherspoon suffered a ruptured Achilles' tendon on Tuesday, and is out for the season.

Bump Worrilow

MAC_32 said:
jonboltz said:
can Bartu handle WILB?
nobody on the roster can do what he does.
supposedly they were moving shembo to ILB before this injury and he was expected to be a part of that ILB rotation. they feel he has the skillset to handle it *and* give them an interior pass rush too. maybe worrilow tackles but not much else.

MAC_32 said:
jonboltz said:
can Bartu handle WILB?
supposedly they were moving shembo to ILB before this injury and he was expected to be a part of that ILB rotation. they feel he has the skillset to handle it *and* give them an interior pass rush too. maybe worrilow tackles but not much else.
Shembo's the only one that has my attention, but a lot is going to have to click quickly for him to be productive this year. It's possible, but I think they drafted him with the intention to have him as plan B in case they couldn't re-up Spoon long term. Thrusting him into a feature role too quickly is asking for trouble. I'm betting it's a very messy rotation you don't want a part of, but if there is a dart to throw it is Shembo but just that - a dart. He's a watch list guy only in shallower leagues.

MAC_32 said:
jonboltz said:
can Bartu handle WILB?
Shembo's the only one that has my attention, but a lot is going to have to click quickly for him to be productive this year. It's possible, but I think they drafted him with the intention to have him as plan B in case they couldn't re-up Spoon long term. Thrusting him into a feature role too quickly is asking for trouble. I'm betting it's a very messy rotation you don't want a part of, but if there is a dart to throw it is Shembo but just that - a dart. He's a watch list guy only in shallower leagues.
i agree that there isn't much to like about the ATL front seven. i am a little higher on shembo than you, i think, following the injury to 'Spoon. if - and it is a big one - he is able to stick as the other ILB then I think he could do some good things. worrilow puts up good numbers tackling but that's it. shembo, paired alongside him, could put up respectable tackling numbers and a few big plays too.

ETA - looks like Bartu for now. Quote from Smith on PFT..

“The two guys who ended up playing a bunch of games and snaps for us last year, have improved and matured, Paul Worrilow and Joplo Bartu,” Falcons coach Smith said. “If you would have told me this time last year that those two guys, one was going to be our leading tackler and the other was going to play over 70 percent of the snaps, I would have looked at you and said ‘I don’t think so.’ They are much more mature. We went through some growing pains with them last year and that is going to pay some dividends going forward.”

Last edited by a moderator:
there are some points to be had on this defense. someone has to tackle someone at some point, right? so who gets them?

My take from this week's RTD Q&A (which will hopefully be ready shortly)

WHAT ARE THE FALCONS TO DO WITHOUT SEAN WEATHERSPOON? WHO PLAYS ALONGSIDE PAUL WORRILOW? IS THERE AN IMMEDIATE PICKUP HERE?
[ via @JeneBramel ]

Hopefully, the old saying that things happen in threes means that Sean Weatherspoon, who is likely done for the season after tearing his Achilles tendon this week, is the last of the every-down linebackers to see his season end before training camp begins.

It's already been a season of change for the Falcons, who made moves in free agency and the draft suggesting that they'd line up in a 3-4 front on base defensive downs this season, then confirmed that suspicion by showing that look often in OTAs. Weatherspoon was expected to play every down at strong inside linebacker, with Paul Worrilow the heavy favorite to play every down at weak inside backer.

There are two possible options to replace Weatherspoon, with one being much more likely than the other.

First, the unlikely option. There's already speculation that rookie Prince Shembo will get a serious look at stepping into the lineup immediately. Unfortunately, he wasn't an inside linebacker at Notre Dame and his best attribute is probably his pass rushing ability. I think it's unlikely that he transitions smoothly, if at all, and I doubt we'll see him take many snaps inside until midseason, at the earliest.

The other option is a known commodity and, barring a surprise veteran signing, the much likelier option. And that's Joplo Bartu. But, with the change to the 3-4 base front, this isn't as simple as sliding Bartu into Weatherspoon's slot as the Falcons did last year. Bartu weighs 230 pounds and while he wasn't terrible at shedding blocks and holding the point of attack at LOLB last year, it's not an ideal role. His best fit would be at weak inside backer, with Worrilow moving into a strong inside role. That's not a bad band-aid, but it's likely not what Mike Nolan had in mind.

Another consideration would be to scrap the 3-4 base and go back to last year's ROLB - LOLB setup. The defensive line / outside linebacker depth chart would support that decision, but additions Paul Soliai, Tyson Jackson and Ra'Shede Hageman are best suited to the 3-4 and the Falcons are hoping for a splash from Jonathan Massaquoi (more on that in a later question) at outside linebacker. And Mike Smith seemed committed to staying the course when addressing the media on Weatherspoon's injury.

So the add here is clearly Bartu, but I wouldn't expect LB2 upside despite the potential to hold down an every-down WILB gig.

Read just recently they are looking at Angerer and Vilma. Angerer has injury issues as well and Vilma just isn't that good in mho. But they could do something to not rely solely on a rookie or 2nd year guy.

Add Angerer to the mix. May be the best bet to start next to Worrilow but I'd guess that he would come off on 3rd down for Bartu?

Add Angerer to the mix. May be the best bet to start next to Worrilow but I'd guess that he would come off on 3rd down for Bartu?
I'm not sure Angerer is anything more than quality depth. They were really pretty pleased with Bartu from what I read last year. I picked up Bartu off the WW and stayed up on him throughout last season. I think Angerer is not likely a starter here.

Users who are viewing this thread