What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

LB T.Smith JAX or CLE LB C.Kirksey (1 Viewer)

elchicano

Footballguy
Having a hard time choosing between either one.

Was leaning towards Smith but read he could switch to S, seems small for a LB, but can beef up.

And Kirksey will play in same role as K.Alonso BUF did last year.

I currently have the 1.28 pick and took over a disaster of a team.

If TE Jenkins is on the board might take him, this is a deep IDP League with Mosley, Mack, Clowney, Barr, Shazier all gone.

Also available is Dee Ford, it is a huge play league.

Depends on your style - gambler, Smith. Conservative, Kirskey. Cleveland expects Kirskey to be a 3 down sideline to sideline type for a while. Jacksonville thinks Smith can be their answer at will. I bolded the key words. If Smith hits he'll be better than Kirskey, but - 'if.'

Lol. so basically i'm back to square one, lol
I'd pick Smith. I'm also in leagues in which I am usually able to uncover LB's in the bottom of the barrel. They're not shallow leagues (40+ player rosters), but I'm aware of deeper leagues. If I were in a league so deep I don't think I can find LB's by my usual method then I may trend towards Kirskey. Most leagues aren't setup like that though.

My LB starting lineup's are usually guys cemented into high production roles, but I take more chances when it comes to my bench. Throw a bunch of darts and a few of them will stick. Turnover starter's as the darts hit to fill other holes or add early draft picks, rinse and repeat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd pick Smith. I'm also in leagues in which I am usually able to uncover LB's in the bottom of the barrel. They're not shallow leagues (40+ player rosters), but I'm aware of deeper leagues. If I were in a league so deep I don't think I can find LB's by my usual method then I may trend towards Kirskey. Most leagues aren't setup like that though.

My LB starting lineup's are usually guys cemented into high production roles, but I take more chances when it comes to my bench. Throw a bunch of darts and a few of them will stick. Turnover starter's as the darts hit to fill other holes or add early draft picks, rinse and repeat.
Thanks for your input, i was leaning towards Smith as well, this year will be a write off for my team anyways, as i am taking over a garbage roster, and looking to rebuild.

Thanks for your input, i was leaning towards Smith as well, this year will be a write off for my team anyways, as i am taking over a garbage roster, and looking to rebuild.
I'amlso gonna try to snatch up Preston or Barrow late, love both of these guys late.

I've been actively avoiding Smith in my IDP drafts.

I love his attitude, athletic ability, and mean streak. What makes me avoid him is his size. He'd have to bulk up to play SS regularly much less what he needs to do to be a WLB. And from what I have seen of his build I'm not convinced he can add enough mass.

That means he's going to get washed out of plays if even OGs and TEs get their hands on him, much less OTs. OC are going to aim runs right at him and I'm concerned he'll end up as so much of a liability against the run that he'll end up a situational player. I think that's why someone who has so many positive attributes fell to the 5th round. You just can't coach size, and at a point size does matter for NFL LBs.

If JAX creates some kind of hybrid SS position for him I think he'll be able to acquire enough mass to be effective. But playing in the front 7 I've just got too strong of a concern.

Love Barrow and then Preston in that order late in drafts.

Get Barrow while you can. Word is starting to leak out that he's looked very good so far and very well may be a contender for a starting 3 down MLB spot in DEN. That would allow Miller to put his hand in the dirt on passing downs and slide Wolfe or Jackson to the inside. If he's the answer to what is a current missing piece of the puzzle his upside is massive.

I love his attitude, athletic ability, and mean streak. What makes me avoid him is his size. He'd have to bulk up to play SS regularly much less what he needs to do to be a WLB. And from what I have seen of his build I'm not convinced he can add enough mass.

That means he's going to get washed out of plays if even OGs and TEs get their hands on him, much less OTs. OC are going to aim runs right at him and I'm concerned he'll end up as so much of a liability against the run that he'll end up a situational player. I think that's why someone who has so many positive attributes fell to the 5th round. You just can't coach size, and at a point size does matter for NFL LBs.

If JAX creates some kind of hybrid SS position for him I think he'll be able to acquire enough mass to be effective. But playing in the front 7 I've just got too strong of a concern.
I have the same concerns, but if not for the failed drug test he had a round2-3 grade, even with his size.

Thoughts on Kirksey?

Maybe ill take DE Lawrence then try to get Barrow late.

Heres what's left:

DT: Everyone but Donald

DE: Everyone

LB: T.Smith, C.Kirksey, Van Noy, Borland, Attaochu, Barrow, Fort, P.Brown, Bradford..

CB all but Gilbert

S all but Pryor and HaHa.

I don't see the upside in Lawrence. Eventually he may be an uninteresting #2. If I'm going the developmental route I want high ceiling guys, he isn't it. If he's out there in December and you have a keeper spot open take the flier and see how is outlook is going into next year. That's what I did with Damontre Moore last year. Just not a fan of sitting on low upside developmental guys as rook's that I almost certainly won't start.

I don't see the upside in Lawrence. Eventually he may be an uninteresting #2. If I'm going the developmental route I want high ceiling guys, he isn't it. If he's out there in December and you have a keeper spot open take the flier and see how is outlook is going into next year. That's what I did with Damontre Moore last year. Just not a fan of sitting on low upside developmental guys as rook's that I almost certainly won't start.
So my pick is next with all the defensive players mentioned, should i got T.Smith or Kirksey or take my chances on Lawrence. Or i can always go with WR Landry MIA, or RB I.Crowell?

I have the same concerns, but if not for the failed drug test he had a round2-3 grade, even with his size.

Thoughts on Kirksey?

Maybe ill take DE Lawrence then try to get Barrow late.

Heres what's left:

DT: Everyone but Donald

DE: Everyone

LB: T.Smith, C.Kirksey, Van Noy, Borland, Attaochu, Barrow, Fort, P.Brown, Bradford..

CB all but Gilbert

S all but Pryor and HaHa.
Has to be between the 2 you listed and Bucannon. Seems like a 32 teamer, which might mean a good safety is worth something.

Did Telvin blow his knee and achilles out during camp or something? Was he busted hanging out with Blackmon? Something has to be wrong because I just picked him up at the 4.05 spot in a 16 teamer. I'm concerned. He's been going late 2nd/late 3rd in all the other drafts I've done. :mellow: :ph34r:

Defensively I prefer talent over situation. Give me Telvin. I like where Kirksey is but situations can change so much from year to year and I think Smith has more talent. His size does worry me, though.

Warpig said:
Did Telvin blow his knee and achilles out during camp or something? Was he busted hanging out with Blackmon? Something has to be wrong because I just picked him up at the 4.05 spot in a 16 teamer. I'm concerned. He's been going late 2nd/late 3rd in all the other drafts I've done. :mellow: :ph34r:
Maybe people are strting to realize that he is UP to about 20 lbs too little

For me it's Smith by a long shot. Smith has something that I love to see in a possible future MLB star and that's the simply intensity and mean streak style to him. The same thing you could see in guys like LT and Ray Lewis early in their careers. It just seems like if he isn't tackling someone, he's only a step or two from them because the guy just loves hitting people and that drives his nose for the ball. After every play you see him screaming and jumping and smacking his own helmet, chest, etc. Despite all his amazing measurables and actual talent the biggest thing for me with him is that I honestly watch him play and think "Jesus, this kids a psychopath" and in my experience that's an attribute you want in a guy at his position.

Having a hard time choosing between either one.

Was leaning towards Smith but read he could switch to S, seems small for a LB, but can beef up.

And Kirksey will play in same role as K.Alonso BUF did last year.

I currently have the 1.28 pick and took over a disaster of a team.

If TE Jenkins is on the board might take him, this is a deep IDP League with Mosley, Mack, Clowney, Barr, Shazier all gone.

Also available is Dee Ford, it is a huge play league.
could I get a link on that?

buffalo played a lot of dime with alonso on the field surrounded by db, and I would've assumed that would be dansby

It looked like Craig Robertson's team tonight.
Really? Poor in coverage (again) and, bigger issue, a couple of missed run fits. Kirskey was brought in to hopefully replace him immediately in passing subpackages. Eventually on all downs, ideally, but he needs development. If Robertson's play slips vs. the run then that transition will happen sooner rather than later.

Kirksey looked better against the run than I thought he would but Craig Robertson was starting and got all of those reps.

I don't think Kirksey is a legit challenger to assume the starting role right now, maybe later in the season but right now Robertson is getting first team work.

MAC_32 said:
dahabi said:
Really? Poor in coverage (again) and, bigger issue, a couple of missed run fits. Kirskey was brought in to hopefully replace him immediately in passing subpackages. Eventually on all downs, ideally, but he needs development. If Robertson's play slips vs. the run then that transition will happen sooner rather than later.
Robertson got ran over by Evan Royster on that touchdown run of his. Robertson is 234(+/-)...Royster is 207(+/-). Doesn't bode well.

MAC_32 said:
dahabi said:
I meant in terms of snap count/playing with 1st team D

Robertson got ran over by Evan Royster on that touchdown run of his. Robertson is 234(+/-)...Royster is 207(+/-). Doesn't bode well.
EDIT: The title of the thread made me transpose Kirksey with Robertson.

Maybe I didn't see that play correctly but from my memory the Browns D-Line was shifted to the left of Washington's O-Line leaving no CLE D-Lineman to the right of the LOS. EDIT: Kirkesy (Craig Robertson) and a DB were lined up to the backside of the play and the RB had a couple of yards head start. The DB went low and got trucked, EDIT: Kirkesy (Craig Robertson) came in and the DB was low on the ground so he had to come-in high to try and warp up the tackle but the RB was able to get lower and he had momentum.

It wasn't a simple case of EDIT: Kirkesy (Craig Robertson) being bowled over, least that is how I saw that play.

EDIT: The title of the thread made me transpose Kirksey with Robertson.

Maybe I didn't see that play correctly but from my memory the Browns D-Line was shifted to the left of Washington's O-Line leaving no CLE D-Lineman to the right of the LOS. EDIT: Kirkesy (Craig Robertson) and a DB were lined up to the backside of the play and the RB had a couple of yards head start. The DB went low and got trucked, EDIT: Kirkesy (Craig Robertson) came in and the DB was low on the ground so he had to come-in high to try and warp up the tackle but the RB was able to get lower and he had momentum.

It wasn't a simple case of EDIT: Kirkesy (Craig Robertson) being bowled over, least that is how I saw that play.
LOL! Thanks for the clarification. The effort is appreciated. :)

here's the snaps

ILB Chris Kirksey 40 54% 5 tackles, 3 assists (8 combined).

ILB Craig Robertson 34 46% 2 tackles, 3 assists (5 combined). 1 fumble recovery.

ILB Karlos Dansby 32 43% 1 tackle, 4 assists (5 combined).

ILB Zac Diles 30 41% 1 tackle, 5 assists (6 combined). 1 pass defended.

ILB Tank Carder 16 22% 1 assist (1 combined).

Heads up.

Browns LB Christian Kirksey is going to be spliting PT with Craig Robertson according to HC Mike Pettine.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/08/defensive_end_desmond_bryant_c.html

Platoon system

The coach views Craig Robertson and rookie Chris Kirksey as "both starters" at inside linebacker next to Karlos Dansby.

Unlike the battle at quarterback, the competition brought out the best in Roberston and Kirksey.

"Its going to be based on what package we're in and what personnel grouping the opponents have," Pettine said.

I drafted Telvin Smith but eventually dropped him early in the season. Thinking about burning my #2 waiver priority on him, since we're a keeper league that rewards keeping IDP rookies.

Not sure how he is being used. He's not listed as a starter. Stats have been up and down. Is he being rotated a lot? Seems like they have a hodge podge at LB since Poz went down.

Not sure how he is being used. He's not listed as a starter. Stats have been up and down. Is he being rotated a lot? Seems like they have a hodge podge at LB since Poz went down.
I believe he only sat one play last week.

telvin?

yeah, up until indy he was a rotational guy getting half the snaps over the last few weeks, but he played the whole game against indy

Another solid double digit tackling performance from Telvin Smith with 8 solos and 2 assists. Hope he can keep this up for my playoff run.

Users who are viewing this thread