What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anybody get laser surgery on your eyes? (1 Viewer)

ghostguy123

Footballguy
I got the surgery done about 5 and a half years ago. I forger the exact type, but my eyes were horrific (-8) and they apparently did the type where they just burn right through my cornea rather than cut a flap (sorry but my eye anatomy knowledge is for ####).

Reason I am asking is that my eyes are actually getting worse again. When I got the surgery I did get the lifetime warranty, so if I ever need the surgery again it is supposed to be free of charge.

Has anyone had to get the surgery again? And if so, how bad did your eyes need to be?

Stupid. My mom got the damn surgery over 20 years ago, the kind where they did one eye at a time and she had to wear a patch for like a week, and he eyes are perfect still.

I got PRK 12 years ago and my eyes are still fine. Best thing I ever did. My wife still refuses to get it which I think is nuts.

I think i got PRK also.

Anyway, everything WAS perfect except it was slightly harder to see at night time, which they told me was pretty likely

But my 20-20 vision is certainly no longer 20-20 and i wanna punch a kitten in the neck because of it.

I think i got PRK also.

Anyway, everything WAS perfect except it was slightly harder to see at night time, which they told me was pretty likely

But my 20-20 vision is certainly no longer 20-20 and i wanna punch a kitten in the neck because of it.
lucky for the kitten you wouldn't be able to see it.

I think i got PRK also.

i would imagine its pretty important to know exactly what surgery you have performed ...just sayin

I had lasik surgery about 11 years ago, at which point they told me I'd eventually need reading glasses, at some point after I turned 40.

I'm 41 now, and recently got a pair of glasses.

I had lasik surgery about 11 years ago, at which point they told me I'd eventually need reading glasses, at some point after I turned 40.

Same here. Lasik at 30. Reading glasses at 44.

Distance vision is still fine though.

Best $$ ever spent.

I did about 10 years ago and it was one of the better decisions I've made. I'm 42 now. My distance vision is still great. My eyes do get strained a little when I stare at a computer all day (who's don't?) but no need for reading glasses yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did LASIK a few years ago and love the results still. Mine were razor sharp right after I got it done and I think my eyes have come back just a tiny bit (nothing dramatic) but would still do it all over again in a heartbeat.

My dad had more similar problems as the OP. He's had to have his corrected numerous times unfortunately. Sometimes it's just how your body takes to the surgery and sometimes it comes down to the amount of material the surgeon has to work with as well.

Had Lasik a dozen years ago.

They told me at the time that the muscles that do the focusing for your eye will change in strength over time, so it's quite possible you'll still need glasses again when you get older. The laser surgery if fixing the lens itself, it won't keep the muscle from being less able to focus.

Which has happened. My distance vision is worsened a little, my close up vision not as much but the day is coming. I got glasses this year mainly for driving.

I had RK done in 1991....the old kind where they actually put slits in the cornea to re shape it upon healing, no laser involved....I was 20/15 after and stayed that way til about 2005 when I was evaluated at 20/30 or so. I also need reading glasses now and actually got a pair of regular glasses which I use only for night driving. I also have fairly poor night vision and get the halo effect with street lights at night so hence the glasses for less glare and sharper night vision. If I remember right it cost about 1K per eye way back then as it was still a fairly new proceedure and hence expensive....best $ I ever spent after having glasses/contacts for the prior 20 or so years....

So has anyone or do you know anyone who had to get the corrective surgery done again?

Everything was excellent for a few years but the last two years i have had a definite worsening in my vision. Squinting to see street signs blows. Day or night.

I had Lasik done about 10 years ago. Put me in the 'best money I've ever spent category.'

They told me then the surgery helps nearsightedness & farsightedness because it curves your cornea(?) to the optimal shape for vision. It has nothing to do with the part of the eye needed for reading. Reading glasses were still a possibility in the future.

Reading glasses were still a possibility in the future.
Yeah, they did say pretty much anyone who would need reading glasses later in life would still need them whether they get the surgery or not.

I still put it in the "best money I ever spent" category, assuming the lifetime warranty would grant me another surgery if this progresses more.

Would love to get it done but always find other things around the house to spend the money on.

:cry:

Would love to get it done but always find other things around the house to spend the money on.

How much do you spend on contacts/solution/glasses/appointments/time and gas getting to appointments.......................................

Turns out I must me "that one guy". Nobody on here has needed it done again, and none of you have even mentioned anyone you know of you has needed it done again.

I have never talked to anyone who has needed it again, and never talked to anyone who even knows anyone who needed it again.

Glad I am probably part of the 0.1%. ####

My friend and I had it done on same day. She is starting to regress a bit but not to the point where she's ready to get it done again. She has mentioned she believes she will eventually have to though.

It was about $2600 when I got it done. They offered 12 month interest free. I asked and they agreed to 18 months. I think I had to set aside $75 a pay to have it paid off before the interest compounded.

My friend and I had it done on same day. She is starting to regress a bit but not to the point where she's ready to get it done again. She has mentioned she believes she will eventually have to though.

It was about $2600 when I got it done. They offered 12 month interest free. I asked and they agreed to 18 months. I think I had to set aside $75 a pay to have i paid off before the interest compounded.
I paid about $3,300 when all said and done, which included the lifetime warranty.

I also got the most expensive surgery they were offering because my eyes were so bad I could only get one certain kind)

I remember seeing the most basic was something like $999 for both eyes.

This was at Clear Choice in Brecksville, Ohio. I know a few other people who got it done there before me, and they are all doing great just like I was....for a while that is. I am sure my regression has nothing to do with the quality of the surgery.

I went to Canada and got mine done in 98. I have had no problems, and I have a lifetime warranty. However, I'm a dip#### and didn't keep records, and have no clue who did the procedure.

Fat Drunk and Stupid said:

i had lasik in 1998, age 27, and got corrective lenses again about 10 years later. Bifocals at 40.

If I knew at the time I would get exactly 10 years worth of good vision for $3,000 and not have to wear glasses or contacts, then either have to go back to glasses/contacts or pay for another surgery, I would still have gladly done it.

Getting rid of the glasses/contacts has been INCREDIBLY awesome.

However, it's only been 5 years. If I had to pay again that would not be worth it. Gotta get me an appointments and see whats what with this lifetime warranty crap.

BustedKnuckles said:
Fishboy said:
Fat Drunk and Stupid said:

Same here. Lasik at 30. Reading glasses at 44.Distance vision is still fine though.

Best $$ ever spent.
how much?
Don't remember exactly, but it was $1500-$1700 if memory serves.

I had it done in 2001 and now my right eye is getting blurry.

Problem is I dont remember the name of the place that did my surgery. It was some big LASIK mill in Tampa

Same here. Lasik at 30. Reading glasses at 44.Distance vision is still fine though.

Best $$ ever spent.
how much?
insurance cover any of it?

Has Anyone ever gotten Lasik twice? Is it possible? Doesn't seem like a good idea, but I'm curious. I had Lasik surgery on my eyes about 12 years ago ... Best thing ever - but I'm noticing decreased long sight vision. At the time of surgery Doc told me I may need glasses again after about 10 years, so im not surprised. Just wondering if anyone has had laser eye surgery twice ... Seems like a bad idea, but I also don't want to have to depend on glasses or contacts again.

Best $$ ever spent.
how much?
Nope. Its elective.

But they are happy to keep paying for glasses and contacts. Weird

Has Anyone ever gotten Lasik twice? Is it possible? Doesn't seem like a good idea, but I'm curious. I had Lasik surgery on my eyes about 12 years ago ... Best thing ever - but I'm noticing decreased long sight vision. At the time of surgery Doc told me I may need glasses again after about 10 years, so im not surprised. Just wondering if anyone has had laser eye surgery twice ... Seems like a bad idea, but I also don't want to have to depend on glasses or contacts again.
I read up on it and you can, but risks go up. I will have an appointment in maybe a couple weeks and ask a lot of questions about this.

Turns out I must me "that one guy". Nobody on here has needed it done again, and none of you have even mentioned anyone you know of you has needed it done again.

I have never talked to anyone who has needed it again, and never talked to anyone who even knows anyone who needed it again.

I had mentioned above that my dad needed to do so multiple times.

My stepmom and I only needed it once each, but he's done it at least 4-5 times. The only personal advice I could offer was that we all got what we paid for. My stepmom thinks she got lucky using the cheap surgeon that my dad did. I paid more, but had the best surgeon in town do mine and I've never had any issues whatsoever.

Best $$ ever spent.
how much?
Absolutely none of it. It was 15 years ago so some may cover it now but highly unlikely. Set money aside in a flex spend account if your company offers one. At least get the tax benefit.

Jayded said:

I had mentioned above that my dad needed to do so multiple times.

My stepmom and I only needed it once each, but he's done it at least 4-5 times. The only personal advice I could offer was that we all got what we paid for. My stepmom thinks she got lucky using the cheap surgeon that my dad did. I paid more, but had the best surgeon in town do mine and I've never had any issues whatsoever.
I had a top end guy in the area also.

Unfortunately my eyes are regressing. Has nothing to do with him though. Sucks. Can't even sue :moneybag: :moneybag: :moneybag: :moneybag: :moneybag:

ghostguy123 said:
Ray Barboni said:
I read up on it and you can, but risks go up. I will have an appointment in maybe a couple weeks and ask a lot of questions about this.
So when they say there's a lifetime guarantee, if subsequent procedures are that much more riskier, what are they actually guaranteeing?

ghostguy123 said:
Ray Barboni said:
So when they say there's a lifetime guarantee, if subsequent procedures are that much more riskier, what are they actually guaranteeing?
The guarantee is that if you regress (which something like 3% of people do, not sure if that is what it was, but a small %), that they will do another surgery free.

Multiple surgeries would not be a good idea. A second surgery????? We'll see what they say. I wouldnt wanna go get 4-5 of them

I think it's specific to each case and your anatomy. When I had mine done in 2006, the surgeon said i could never get it again. Recently since i've been beating up my eyes...extreme sessions at my desktop, lack of sleep, stress, I've noticed my nearsightedness coming back. It's especially noticeable at the end of the day or if I'm particularly tired. :shrug: still way better than per-surgery and still don't need glasses to drive and read

Anyone with extreme myopia ever get it (or know someone who did). I checked about 15 years ago whether I was eligible and they said my myopia was too extreme and that I should wait. I don't have an astigmatism (surprising for someone with the vision I have I'm told). I can see almost 20/20 with contacts so haven't pushed it, but it would be nice to go without.

My contacts are -12.00/-12.50 so figure my vision is -12.50/-13.00.

Users who are viewing this thread