What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lawyer guys.........DA's with no morals (1 Viewer)

IC FBGCav

Footballguy
I understand that most DA's have a bad job, they deal with the scum of the earth every day. But what I want to know is how many of them are moral human beings. I would guess most are but all need to be moral.

When you see a DA on a case TV that they prosecuted and won and then the physical evidence show that they prosecuted the wrong person, what is up with them sticking to their guns? It is the lowest thing you can do in the legal system. Do you know DA's or Judges like this?

If the guy is innocent, the DA/ADA was wrongly getting someone imprisoned and has to begin to doubt a pretty major thing he did. Same with judges. There's a lot of denial and hubris involved in doing these jobs, or you'd hate yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the guy is innocent, the DA/ADA was wrongly getting someone imprisoned and has to begin to doubt a pretty major thing he did. Same with judges. There's a lot of denial and hubris involved in doing these jobs, or you'd hate yourself.
I can understand that but you can't let it get in the way of doing what is right. When you do it goes from a mistake to a crime IMO.

I can understand that but you can't let it get in the way of doing what is right. When you do it goes from a mistake to a crime IMO.
It's not a conscious thing.

I think there's a fine line these lawyers walk. When the DNA on a murder victim is finally tested and it doesn't match the person who was arrested for the crime, the DA can say that just because DNA doesn't match, doesn't mean that their suspect necessarily didn't do it. As for actually knowing that an accused person didn't commit a crime and pursuing the charge anyway, that definitely should be a crime.

Early in my career I had to prosecute a guy for a brawl he started in a strip club, He ended up breaking the door man's arm. The guy was 6'7" and 285 lbs. He was blond with his hair down between his shoulder blades. He was the embodiment of Thor here on earth. A perfect specimen and there cannot have been two like him on the planet in the last 10,000 years.

There were multiple witnesses, grainy video, and the guy was apprehended 1/2 mile from the club in a black F-150, the same vehicle witnesses saw the guy get into and flee in. He was found guilty rather quickly by the jury, though he professed his innocence throughout.

The next day, after being convicted and sent to jail he walked into my office. Turns out the guy had a doppleganger. Not a twin, just a coincidence. He did not know the other guy, but knew of him. He wanted to confess. He felt bad for the innocent guy. Fortunately he was willing to do so in Court. I asked him to go before the judge who presided. The judge told him he should consult with an attorney. He refused. He insisted upon confessing.

Before he confessed I had to call the Defense Attorney who had represented Thor. Even he did not believe it.

Early in my career I had to prosecute a guy for a brawl he started in a strip club, He ended up breaking the door man's arm. The guy was 6'7" and 285 lbs. He was blond with his hair down

between his shoulder blades. He was the embodiment of Thor here on earth. A perfect specimen and there cannot have been two like

him on the planet in the last 10,000 years.

There were multiple witnesses, grainy video, and the guy was apprehended 1/2 mile from the club

in a black F-150, the same vehicle witnesses saw the guy get into and flee in. He was found guilty rather quickly by the jury, though he professed his innocence throughout.

The next day, after being convicted and sent to jail he walked into my office. Turns out the guy

had a doppleganger. Not a twin, just a coincidence. He did not know the other guy, but knew of him. He wanted to confess. He felt bad for the innocent guy. Fortunately he was willing

to do so in Court. I asked him to go before the judge who presided. The judge told him he should consult with an attorney. He refused. He insisted upon confessing.

Before he confessed I had to call the Defense Attorney who had represented Thor. Even he

did not believe it.
Love stories like these.

I've spoken and known prosecutors who have wrongly convicted innocent men. I can't imagine the guilt they must feel.

Most prosecutors, like most people, are good people. As much as I sometimes get frustrated with them they have an equally tough job.

I've spoken and known prosecutors who have wrongly convicted innocent men. I can't imagine the guilt they must feel.

Most prosecutors, like most people, are good people. As much as I sometimes get frustrated with them they have an equally tough job.
I have never known any prosecutor to convict anybody, ever.

Ditkaless Wonders said:
Early in my career I had to prosecute a guy for a brawl he started in a strip club, He ended up breaking the door man's arm. The guy was 6'7" and 285 lbs. He was blond with his hair down between his shoulder blades. He was the embodiment of Thor here on earth. A perfect specimen and there cannot have been two like him on the planet in the last 10,000 years.

There were multiple witnesses, grainy video, and the guy was apprehended 1/2 mile from the club in a black F-150, the same vehicle witnesses saw the guy get into and flee in. He was found guilty rather quickly by the jury, though he professed his innocence throughout.

The next day, after being convicted and sent to jail he walked into my office. Turns out the guy had a doppleganger. Not a twin, just a coincidence. He did not know the other guy, but knew of him. He wanted to confess. He felt bad for the innocent guy. Fortunately he was willing to do so in Court. I asked him to go before the judge who presided. The judge told him he should consult with an attorney. He refused. He insisted upon confessing.

Before he confessed I had to call the Defense Attorney who had represented Thor. Even he did not believe it.
The universe has a strange sense of humor.

Ditkaless Wonders said:
Zow said:

Exactly...

People give prosecutors too much credit. They are only as good as the investigation completed by the police and their investigators--bottom line. The evidence is reviewed and the appropriate charges are filed. They present their case and a judge/jury either believes it or they don't. If the facts presented in the police report are all they have, then that is what they charge with and those are the witnesses they call. If the witnesses or officers are proven to be in error later on, then that's not on the DA. They are simply just doing their job with the facts they have.

Ditkaless Wonders said:
Zow said:
I've spoken and known prosecutors who have wrongly convicted innocent men. I can't

imagine

the guilt they must feel.

Most prosecutors, like most people, are good

people. As much as I sometimes get frustrated

with them they have an equally tough job.
Fair enough. Prosecuted.

I may have been a few drinks deep when I wrote that last night.

Last edited by a moderator:
FatUncleJerryBuss said:
I understand that most DA's have a bad job, they deal with the scum of the earth every day. But what I want to know is how many of them are moral human beings. I would guess most are but all need to be moral.

When you see a DA on a case TV that they prosecuted and won and then the physical evidence show that they prosecuted the wrong person, what is up with them sticking to their guns? It is the lowest thing you can do in the legal system. Do you know DA's or Judges like this?
Yes, this happens, it's not the rule but it happens. It might depend greatly on where you are from.

Henry Ford said:
Two words for you: Harry. Connick,

{The DA of course}

Ditkaless Wonders said:
Zow said:
I've spoken and known prosecutors who have wrongly convicted innocent men. I can't

imagine

Fair enough. Prosecuted.

I have no problem with having prosecuted a person who turns out to be innocent. But I will not prosecute a person if the evidence doesn't make me believe the person committed the crime. A reason we give all evidence to the defense is to get the right result, justice doesn't work if we're too concerned with "winning" each trial.

Prosecutors are falable people like anyone else, but there is an ethical duty we all need to live by.

Ditkaless Wonders said:
Zow said:

imagine

Fair enough.Prosecuted.

We all knew what you meant GB. I was being a bit of a #####, and needlessly so. Sorry.

Ditkaless Wonders said:
Zow said:

imagine

Fair enough.Prosecuted.

We all knew what you meant GB. I was being a bit of a #####, and needlessly so. Sorry.
No, you actually make a good point. I'm good with the correction.

Ditkaless Wonders said:
Zow said:

imagine

Fair enough.Prosecuted.

I have no problem with having prosecuted a person who turns out to be innocent. But I will not prosecute a person if the evidence doesn't make me believe the person committed the crime. A reason we give all evidence to the defense is to get the right result, justice doesn't work if we're too concerned with "winning" each trial.

Prosecutors are falable people like anyone else, but there is an ethical duty we all need to live by.
I'm curious. Ever poll your counterparts to see what standard they apply to determine whether to push forward? I've asked a few and have gotten some pretty significantly different answers.

Ditkaless Wonders said:

Some good homoerotic tension in this story. :pickle:

Ditkaless Wonders said:
Zow said:

imagine

Fair enough.Prosecuted.

I'm curious. Ever poll your counterparts to see what standard they apply to determine whether to push forward? I've asked a few and have gotten some pretty significantly different answers.
I have. Our discussions were confidential, but standards varied. I'm sure you know the answers. At times we are all frank.

Ditkaless Wonders said:
Zow said:

imagine

Fair enough.Prosecuted.

I have. Our discussions were confidential, but standards varied. I'm sure you know the answers. At times we are all frank.
And yet it's luck of the draw for any given defendant as to which prosecutor he gets.

Ditkaless Wonders said:

Some good homoerotic tension in this story. :pickle:
He was a singularly beautiful man, except not so since there were two of him. I was going for homoerotic yet Midwestern uptight repressed at the same time.

Ditkaless Wonders said:
Zow said:

imagine

Fair enough.Prosecuted.

And yet it's luck of the draw for any given defendant as to which prosecutor he gets.
And which judge, and which defense attorney as well. Folks might be very surprised that the cost of defense counsel often has no correlation to their skill. Reputations in the general public are quite different from reputations in the profession. I know that were I in trouble I would not employ any of the 20 biggest reputations in my area. I'd have two or three in the next tier on my short list.

If you live in Williamson County, Texas, you might do 25 years for the murder of your wife, which you did not commit. These things happen, but the prosecutor (who later became a judge) fought tooth and nail against the DNA testing of a bloody rag found at the scene. It was eventually tested, and the blood did not belong to victim or accused. The right guy was eventually convicted, no thanks to that pig-####er of a prosecutor. There isn't a level of Hell low enough for him.

Ditkaless Wonders said:
Zow said:

imagine

Fair enough.Prosecuted.

I have no problem with having prosecuted a person who turns out to be innocent. But I will not prosecute a person if the evidence doesn't make me believe the person committed the crime. A reason we give all evidence to the defense is to get the right result, justice doesn't work if we're too concerned with "winning" each trial.Prosecutors are falable people like anyone else, but there is an ethical duty we all need to live by.
We've discussed the issue plenty and I'm in a position right now where I get to see various philosophies over a dozen jurisdictions. We're mostly on the same page though at times with different answers on specific cases.

Our structure is a bit different than yours, and the prosecutor doesn't make the final decision nor is he the senior attorney involved. By the time a decision is made the discussions usually lead to a more consistent result.

however, we're also under a lot of scrutiny right now from congress which can lead to us taking cases to trial we might not have years ago, especially in the realm of sex crimes.

Ditkaless Wonders said:
Zow said:

imagine

Fair enough.Prosecuted.

I have no problem with having prosecuted a person who turns out to be innocent. But I will not prosecute a person if the evidence doesn't make me believe the person committed the crime. A reason we give all evidence to the defense is to get the right result, justice doesn't work if we're too concerned with "winning" each trial.Prosecutors are falable people like anyone else, but there is an ethical duty we all need to live by.
And which judge, and which defense attorney as well. Folks might be very surprised that the cost of defense counsel often has no correlation to their skill. Reputations in the general public are quite different from reputations in the profession. I know that were I in trouble I would not employ any of the 20 biggest reputations in my area. I'd have two or three in the next tier on my short list.
Not to mention jury.

Ditkaless Wonders said:
Zow said:

imagine

Fair enough.Prosecuted.

I have no problem with having prosecuted a person who turns out to be innocent. But I will not prosecute a person if the evidence doesn't make me believe the person committed the crime. A reason we give all evidence to

the defense is to get the right result, justice doesn't work if we're too concerned with "winning" each trial.

Prosecutors are falable people like anyone else,

but there is an ethical duty we all need to live by.
And which judge, and which defense attorney as well. Folks might be very surprised that the cost of defense counsel often has no correlation to their skill. Reputations in the general public are quite different from reputations in the profession.

I know that were I in trouble I would not employ

any of the 20 biggest reputations in my area. I'd have two or three in the next tier on my short list.
All true (save for judges b/c my jurisdiction has a rule which allows for an unquestioned strike so a defendant theoretically has some control). I find it funny too since going private just how much the perception of me changes by prospective clients. Even ones I've represented as a public defender. Certainly I appreciate the change b/c it permits me to make more money, but it makes me laugh b/c I'm basically the same lawyer (with a little moe experience) yet without investigators on staff and immediate access to expert funds.

Ditkaless Wonders said:
Zow said:

imagine

Fair enough.Prosecuted.

There is case law stating that prosecutors have a higher ethical duty than other lawyers, meaning the defense bar.

In Colorado the case law indicates that a prosecutor should not take a matter to trial absent a good faith belief he or she has sufficient evidence to obtain a conviction. That standard is described as exceeding the standard for establishing probable cause. Tension comes in when there is clearly probable cause, the Victim(s) and the Police want the matter prosecuted, the Press is involved seeking whatever they think is justice or will sell ads, and the Office is exerting pressure because it is getting pressure from Outside political arenas and yet the Prosecutor may doubt, in good faith, that they can obtain a conviction. What then? Dismiss the case? Seek a pleas bargain? Try the matter.

I have seen some prosecutors figure they should just try the matter, allowing the judge or jury to sort it out. I have seen some seek advice from their boss. The rules of professional conduct provide an out here in that if the boss wants the matter tried, they, by virtue of their position and experience are deemed the more accurate judge of what should be done, so the assigned Prosecutor can take refuge there and worry no more.

One answer is to request follow up investigation by the Police and to contact the victims and witnesses for further interviews and exposition. That does not always resolve the quandary.

Some Prosecutors I know rely on the fact that Defendants are represented, and when pro se that the Judge is looking out for their rights no matter what the judge may claim. They rely on the inherent protections of due process to insure and safeguard a just result.

I do note that having some doubts about the ability to convict at trial is not the same as having a good faith belief that you will not be able to do so.

All of this does not occur, of course, in a vacuum. Prosecutors have personality traits and various abilities and ambitions. Some worry about conviction rates, some about appearing soft by dismissing matters. Some love being in trial, others clearly are marking time before going into private transactional work at Daddy's firm. These matters should not effect ethical decisions but Prosecutors are people, by definition imperfect.

The personality of Defense Counsel also has an effect. Some can graciously assist in moving matters towards a dismissal, and some can be so offensive that they generate resistance at every turn, doing their client no favors.

Ditkaless Wonders said:
Zow said:

imagine

Fair enough.Prosecuted.

I have no problem with having prosecuted aperson who turns out to be innocent. But I will not prosecute a person if the evidence doesn't make me believe the person committed the crime. A reason we give all evidence to

the defense is to get the right result, justice doesn't work if we're too concerned with "winning" each trial.

Prosecutors are falable people like anyone else,

but there is an ethical duty we all need to live by.
I'm curious. Ever poll your counterparts to seewhat standard they apply to determine whether to push forward? I've asked a few and have gotten some pretty significantly different answers.
I have. Our discussions were confidential, but standards varied. I'm sure you know theanswers. At times we are all frank.
And which judge, and which defense attorney as well. Folks might be very surprised that the costof defense counsel often has no correlation to their skill. Reputations in the general public are quite different from reputations in the profession.

I know that were I in trouble I would not employ

any of the 20 biggest reputations in my area. I'd have two or three in the next tier on my short list.
All true (save for judges b/c my jurisdiction has a rule which allows for an unquestioned strike so a defendant theoretically has some control).I find it funny too since going private just how much the perception of me changes by prospective clients. Even ones I've represented as a public defender. Certainly I appreciate the change b/c it permits me to make more money, but it makes me laugh b/c I'm basically the same lawyer (with a little moe experience) yet without investigators on staff and immediate access to expert funds.
I would not hire defense counsel that had not worked in the P.D.'s Office or in a Prosecutor's Office. The latter is often a bone of contention with P.D.'s and some defense firms. They can be closed to the idea that former Prosecutors can make excellent Defense Attorneys, and yet those Prosecutors have a world of trial experience, know the system intimately, and know the directives, protocols, and machinations of Police Departments with an intimacy that no Public Defender or private Defense Attorney ever will. ( There is a bit of mental conversion that has to occur, but the trick is usually successfully turned in a couple of months.) I know some defense firms that hire lawyers right out of law school. I actually started my career that way, but frankly if someone wants to learn to be a defense attorney there is not better teacher than work as a P.D. (Actually I know dozens of Prosecutors who moved into the Defense bar. Other than myself I know of no one who started in Defense and moved into Prosecution, though I am certain it has happened. Leave it to me to screw up my career path. It took me a quarter of a century to earn in a year as a Prosecutor what I made during my second year in a Defense firm.

Users who are viewing this thread