What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TV Deals Thread (1 Viewer)

scottybo

Footballguy
I will update this thread at least once a week with updated deals. I will only post TVs that get good ratings/reviews.

Last edited by a moderator:
Circuit City just declared bankruptcy and is going out of business. I imagine in the near future you'll find some real good deals there.

There was a 37" Sharp Aquios LCD at dell.com last week for $699 (free shipping). Awesome deal, but not sure if it still around.

Circuit City just declared bankruptcy and is going out of business. I imagine in the near future you'll find some real good deals there.
:lmao:Liquidators will ensure no deals.
Only one I saw was the Samsung 32" A330 which is regular 599.99 marked 10% off to $530, which is the best price out there for that TV, though it's a lower-end model and I was looking for something mid-range, was hard to pass it up.

:yes:Liquidators will ensure no deals.
Only one I saw was the Samsung 32" A330 which is regular 599.99 marked 10% off to $530, which is the best price out there for that TV, though it's a lower-end model and I was looking for something mid-range, was hard to pass it up.
You would probably do better to go to Sears. They will pricematch and give you an extra 10% off, so that would drop that set to sub 500.

:thumbup:Liquidators will ensure no deals.
You would probably do better to go to Sears. They will pricematch and give you an extra 10% off, so that would drop that set to sub 500.
Think they would honor liquidation prices?

:thumbdown:Liquidators will ensure no deals.
Think they would honor liquidation prices?
If they have it in stock (i.e. CC has to have one on the floor available to buy). Other people have reported success with it. I haven't tried it, and it probably depends on the manager at the Sears store.

w00t has a tv today.

Philips 47" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV with Perfect Pixel HD Engine

$899.99

+ $5 shipping

Condition: Recertified

Keep watching Slickdeals as you'll usually see at least a deal or two in the range you are looking for per week. Don't rush, any time you are buying technology, waiting is your friend.

whitecorner

Looking for a TV soon...that woot deal today almost has me going ahead...but I know people that have had issues with returning faulty woot stuff in the past so I'm not going that route.

I've come to the conclusion that right now is the worst possible time to be in the market for one of these. GDB.

Posted this in another thread...

So now that CC is closing.

What other B&M stores are good for buying television. I refuse to go to Best Buy.

The Twitter near us closed down and I don't know of any Mom and Pop stores around here.

I'm looking for a 42" 1080p with a decent contrast ratio, specifically. There are no good deals right now. Target put a pretty good Philips on sale this week for $698, which is solid, except they refuse to stock the thing, so basically it's a ploy to get people into the store and sucker them into a different TV. Also forces Walmart to stop stocking this model since they have to price match Target's sale.

Two things going on right now.. people are getting their tax returns so they have some disposable cash, and dumb people are frantically shopping for new sets because they've been suckered into thinking they have to by everyone from Comcast to the government, stores and manufacturers.

Bottom line is, it seems like a bad time to be buying.

Posted this in another thread...So now that CC is closing.What other B&M stores are good for buying television. I refuse to go to Best Buy.The Twitter near us closed down and I don't know of any Mom and Pop stores around here.
ABT? Costco?

Would anyone consider a Refurb?
I never understood this. People are just plain dumb, I guess.I mean, they might be worth a shot if the prices were way, way lower (less risk). But the price drop never ever seems to make up for the increased risk. My best guess is that teh price points work for the quantity they need to sell, which indicates that there be a lot of dumbards out there. Or maybe just that others like to gamble more than I do. (Like hard drives. Refurbished hard drives? No, thanks. That's just nutty, unless it's just an external for pr0n.)

:hey: Liquidators will ensure no deals.
These sales always blow. I go now and again, and am utterly impressed by the number of folks who believe that something's a bargain because the store told them it's a bargain. Oh well.

I'm looking for a 42" 1080p with a decent contrast ratio, specifically. There are no good deals right now. Target put a pretty good Philips on sale this week for $698, which is solid, except they refuse to stock the thing, so basically it's a ploy to get people into the store and sucker them into a different TV. Also forces Walmart to stop stocking this model since they have to price match Target's sale.Two things going on right now.. people are getting their tax returns so they have some disposable cash, and dumb people are frantically shopping for new sets because they've been suckered into thinking they have to by everyone from Comcast to the government, stores and manufacturers.Bottom line is, it seems like a bad time to be buying.
Try Sears? They price match as well + 10%.

I'm looking for a 42" 1080p with a decent contrast ratio, specifically. There are no good deals right now. Target put a pretty good Philips on sale this week for $698, which is solid, except they refuse to stock the thing, so basically it's a ploy to get people into the store and sucker them into a different TV. Also forces Walmart to stop stocking this model since they have to price match Target's sale.Two things going on right now.. people are getting their tax returns so they have some disposable cash, and dumb people are frantically shopping for new sets because they've been suckered into thinking they have to by everyone from Comcast to the government, stores and manufacturers.Bottom line is, it seems like a bad time to be buying.
Try Sears? They price match as well + 10%.
Thanks for the info.. I don't think they carry that one but I'll swing by and check it outI was able to get a raincheck on this from Target even though they say on the ad they aren't providing them. I chewed the guy out a little and he gave me one. Who knows if they'll actually honor it.

BUMP

I'm on the market for whatever the largest LCD is that I can get before the huge jump up in price -- in other words, best size value in the 52"-65" range. I think right now the sweet spot may be at around 52", but I'd really love to get something at 60" or even bigger. However, I don't want to spend more than 3 grand or so. Any good choices out there? Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Does anyone know if these screens are good enough for running an Xbox on? I'd like to incorporate my whole setup into a single display.

Also, I'm considering a bluray player. Far as I can tell, I just have to make sure I have a 1080p, 120Hz LCD and blu ray should look fantastic?

BUMPI'm on the market for whatever the largest LCD is that I can get before the huge jump up in price -- in other words, best size value in the 52"-65" range. I think right now the sweet spot may be at around 52", but I'd really love to get something at 60" or even bigger. However, I don't want to spend more than 3 grand or so. Any good choices out there? Any recommendations? Thanks.
52" is best. Anything above that bumps the price up considerably. Don't forget to add shipping cost to your total. Some online dealers like to bump up shipping charges for larger items.

BUMPI'm on the market for whatever the largest LCD is that I can get before the huge jump up in price -- in other words, best size value in the 52"-65" range. I think right now the sweet spot may be at around 52", but I'd really love to get something at 60" or even bigger. However, I don't want to spend more than 3 grand or so. Any good choices out there? Any recommendations? Thanks.
52" is best. Anything above that bumps the price up considerably. Don't forget to add shipping cost to your total. Some online dealers like to bump up shipping charges for larger items.
Thanks -- I figured 52" was the value spot right now. The prices at Walmart in my edited post above confirm as much. Frankly, as big as the room is, the couch will still be 6-8 feet from the TV, so I probably don't need any bigger. And I assume the move up from 42" to 52" will be significant.

Do they only sell flat screen type televisions now? I have some bilingual monies to spend for my classroom, and was wanting something like a 26" screen or bigger tv/dvd/(possibly vcr, too) combo. But it would probably need to be a fat one that wouldn't tumble off a tv cart when it was rolled around. Do they make things like that anymore?

Does anyone know if these screens are good enough for running an Xbox on? I'd like to incorporate my whole setup into a single display.Also, I'm considering a bluray player. Far as I can tell, I just have to make sure I have a 1080p, 120Hz LCD and blu ray should look fantastic?
120Hz, 1080p and a high contrast ratio are the top features to look at. The 52" Samsung looks perfect for your needs. 50,000:1 Contrast Ratio, 120Hz and 1080p. It's also their "Touch of Color" top of the line model. 4ms response time is very good,too.Winner. :)

Do they only sell flat screen type televisions now? I have some bilingual monies to spend for my classroom, and was wanting something like a 26" screen or bigger tv/dvd/(possibly vcr, too) combo. But it would probably need to be a fat one that wouldn't tumble off a tv cart when it was rolled around. Do they make things like that anymore?
Of course. Wal-Mart still carries them, though they're usually off to the side away from the LCD/Plasma's.

You can get great CRT TV deals on Craig's list.The biggest problem with the larger TV CRT's is their weight.

You can get great CRT TV deals on Craig's list.The biggest problem with the larger TV CRT's is their weight.
Well, this is for a classroom. And it will sit on a tall tv cart with wheels. And I'm pretty sure that no one on craigslist will accept a purchase order for payment.

Does anyone know if these screens are good enough for running an Xbox on? I'd like to incorporate my whole setup into a single display.

Also, I'm considering a bluray player. Far as I can tell, I just have to make sure I have a 1080p, 120Hz LCD and blu ray should look fantastic?
120Hz, 1080p and a high contrast ratio are the top features to look at. The 52" Samsung looks perfect for your needs. 50,000:1 Contrast Ratio, 120Hz and 1080p. It's also their "Touch of Color" top of the line model. 4ms response time is very good,too.Winner. :goodposting:
Yeah? Samsung a solid name?There's also a 55" Vizio for $1750. Seems like the same specs as the Samsung more or less with 3 extra inches of screen real estate.

50,000:1 contrast ratio seems to be common for the TVs in this price range. I'll set that as the target.

Any brands I should stay away from, or brands I should focus on? Far as I know most of these panels are made by the Chinese and Taiwanese and are just repackaged with electronics by the big names -- but they all have more or less the same LCD panels.

Well, this is for a classroom. And it will sit on a tall tv cart with wheels. And I'm pretty sure that no one on craigslist will accept a purchase order for payment.
I understand about the P.O. problem and probably nobody in school mgmt is willing - yet - to think about buying used TVs on craigslist instead of new ones.In the meantime, you may be able to find a used TV place in town you could buy from... it would still be significantly less than buying new.

I remember those tv carts... the are pretty sturdy but still will have some max rating for weight. Hopefully they also have a safety strap on them.

Users who are viewing this thread