What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ray Rice APPEALS suspension (1 Viewer)

I think he has a good case. The nfl screwed the pooch on this one. Ray Rice may be a low life, but he does seem to be suffering the result of politics as the nfl was embarassed and tried to save face with a second suspension

So he saw all the injuries today, and figured someone would be desperate enough to sign him. I can see a few teams desperate enough. Can't blame him for trying.

According to their own brand new policy a player in these circumstances is supposed to get 6 games. It was never explained to my satisfaction why this was disregarded and it went from two to the whole year.

According to their own brand new policy a player in these circumstances is supposed to get 6 games. It was never explained to my satisfaction why this was disregarded and it went from two to the whole year.
As far as I know it went from two to "until further notice" or "indefinite".

I'm quite sure lying to the commish during an investigation warrants something, don't you?

I'm quite sure lying to the commish during an investigation warrants something, don't you?
Reference/citation to what you are referring to, both the lying and the rule regarding the resultant punishment?

Double jeopardy seems like a solid argument here.
Yeah seems like textbook double-jeopardy argument to me. Especially if there's a record that he told Goodell the truth in their meetings (which I expect he did since Goodell has very carefully danced around that question and never said he was mislead). I scooped him off the WW in a half-dozen dynos because it seemed like this was pretty likely.

It would still require a team to pick him up, but someone will need a RB soon enough.

Reference/citation to what you are referring to, both the lying and the rule regarding the resultant punishment?
I honestly think it is more likely that he was completely honest, and commish is the liar here.

Good for him. Not only was he suspended TWICE for the same infraction but he also got an indefinite suspension when the league just passed a new deal calling for six games.

Do you really need someone to do this? You go into the office and lie to the boss, there are going to be consequences.

That is a criminal law thing, not a "you can't play in our league" thing.
But you're wrong.
How so? Double Jeopardy is a protection from being charged by the government with the same criminal offence twice. That has nothing to do with banning a player from playing in a league.
But you're wrong.
How so?

But you're wrong.
How so? Double Jeopardy is a protection from being charged by the government with the same criminal offence twice. That has nothing to do with banning a player from playing in a league.
But you're wrong.
How so?
Because there's a DJ clause in the CBA.

Under Article 46, Section 4 of the collective bargaining agreement governing 'One Penalty,' it states that, "The Commissioner and a Club will not both discipline a player for the same act or conduct. The Commissioner’s disciplinary action will preclude or supersede disciplinary action by any Club for the same act or conduct."

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-sources-ray-rice-nflpa-contemplating-legal-grievance-options-20140914,0,905928.story#ixzz3DL6nkW5I

You go into the office and lie to the boss
Link? Goodell has ham-handedly dodged this question IMO.
"This video shows a starkly different sequence of events from what you and your representatives stated when we met on June 16, and is important new information that warrants reconsideration of the discipline imposed on you in July," Goodell wrote in the letter."Based on this new information, I have concluded that the discipline imposed upon you in July was insufficient under all the circumstances and have determined instead to impose an indefinite suspension."

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-sources-ray-rice-nflpa-contemplating-legal-grievance-options-20140914,0,905928.story#ixzz3DL6yHw9H

The problem will be that even if he wins his appeal or a court case, he still won't have a job and no one will pick him up anytime soon.

But you're wrong.
But you're wrong.
How so?

Under Article 46, Section 4 of the collective bargaining agreement governing 'One Penalty,' it states that, "The Commissioner and a Club will not both discipline a player for the same act or conduct. The Commissioner’s disciplinary action will preclude or supersede disciplinary action by any Club for the same act or conduct."

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-sources-ray-rice-nflpa-contemplating-legal-grievance-options-20140914,0,905928.story#ixzz3DL6nkW5I
That isn't double jeopardy though, exactly.

Goodell claims the video shows a starkly different sequence of events from what Rice had claimed.

However, Goodell did not list the specific discrepancies in Rice's story.

As much as I think Ray Rice should get the Sonny Corleone treatment, the league absolutely mishandled this and I'd think his appeal has a very high probability of success.

You go into the office and lie to the boss
Link? Goodell has ham-handedly dodged this question IMO.
"This video shows a starkly different sequence of events from what you and your representatives stated when we met on June 16, and is important new information that warrants reconsideration of the discipline imposed on you in July," Goodell wrote in the letter."Based on this new information, I have concluded that the discipline imposed upon you in July was insufficient under all the circumstances and have determined instead to impose an indefinite suspension."

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-sources-ray-rice-nflpa-contemplating-legal-grievance-options-20140914,0,905928.story#ixzz3DL6yHw9H
This is what opens the door for Rice to appeal. Terribly worded and doesn't differentiate the fact that he's getting extra time solely for lying about what happened, which influenced the original punishment.

Odd are, because of this, he wins his appeal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Goodell claims the video shows a starkly different sequence of events from what Rice had claimed.

However, Goodell did not list the specific discrepancies in Rice's story.
Wow. Rodger is stone cold lying IMO.

You could have saved some trouble and pointed that out several posts ago. That being said the changing the penalty handed out is not the same as the commish and the club disciplining a player. I don't see how that clause applies.

The problem will be that even if he wins his appeal or a court case, he still won't have a job and no one will pick him up anytime soon.
we forgive everyone
The point being, if he sat for a year and got reinstated or if he was cut and no one signed him for a year there would be no financial difference. He has no way to proove that he is out game checks, as he had no contract and no salary to base it off of.

I agree that he has a case of getting his indefinite suspention overturned, but I don't see him being able to recoup any money (unless he gets some sort of penalty on the league money).

I agree, that is not a double jeopardy clause, that's a different thing.

But since many people feel Goodell handled it terribly and may have lied/be lying, going through all of it with an appeal seems to be something that can only end badly for the commish/league

Once the Ravens cut Rice, he was no longer considered a player in the NFL...hence, the NFL didn't have to follow any of their agreements with NFLPA.

Obviously, this sure smells funny...and while this is just my opinion (no proof), I've been under the impression since the video came out that the the NFL and Ravens conspired to try and make this problem go away.

I honestly think it is more likely that he was completely honest, and commish is the liar here.
Yup.

Once the Ravens cut Rice, he was no longer considered a player in the NFL...hence, the NFL didn't have to follow any of their agreements with NFLPA.

Obviously, this sure smells funny...and while this is just my opinion (no proof), I've been under the impression since the video came out that the the NFL and Ravens conspired to try and make this problem go away.
I believe the NFL added punishment before the official Ravens release.

And again, adding to the punishment is not the same as the club and the league punishing him separately. The "double jeopardy" clause you cited isn't "double jeopardy" and does not apply in this situation.

And you are wrong, he was cut then suspended.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11489134/baltimore-ravens-cut-ray-rice-new-video-surfaces

And again, adding to the punishment is not the same as the club and the league punishing him separately. The "double jeopardy" clause you cited isn't "double jeopardy" and does not apply in this situation.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11489134/baltimore-ravens-cut-ray-rice-new-video-surfaces
:shrug:

That's not the way the news broke.

That is the way the text alerts from ESPN came to me, about half an hour apart.

Incorrect. He was cut first, then the league changes the suspension to indefinite. The news broke that way too.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Ray Rice already looked used up? Even if by some miracle he becomes eligible to play again this season, who is he supposed to beat out on the field? He doesn't have it anymore. Ray Rice has become fantasy insignificant just as much by his lack of ability on the football field as he does with the off the field transgressions.

Incorrect. He was cut first, then the league changes the suspension to indefinite. The news broke that way too.
I've been mistaken before. Probably will be again.

But you're wrong.
But you're wrong.
How so?

Under Article 46, Section 4 of the collective bargaining agreement governing 'One Penalty,' it states that, "The Commissioner and a Club will not both discipline a player for the same act or conduct. The Commissioner’s disciplinary action will preclude or supersede disciplinary action by any Club for the same act or conduct."Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-sources-ray-rice-nflpa-contemplating-legal-grievance-options-20140914,0,905928.story#ixzz3DL6nkW5Ihttp://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...options-20140914,0,905928.story#ixzz3DL6nkW5I
How did The Club discipline Rice? They cut him.

But you're wrong.
But you're wrong.
How so?

Under Article 46, Section 4 of the collective bargaining agreement governing 'One Penalty,' it states that, "The Commissioner and a Club will not both discipline a player for the same act or conduct. The Commissioner’s disciplinary action will preclude or supersede disciplinary action by any Club for the same act or conduct."Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-sources-ray-rice-nflpa-contemplating-legal-grievance-options-20140914,0,905928.story#ixzz3DL6nkW5I
How did The Club discipline Rice? They cut him.
Yep, no team will touch him. Vick had a tough road to travel, Rice.....foget 'about it

Users who are viewing this thread