What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Paul Worrilow....who is he? (1 Viewer)

He has been 3-down the last few games. Played 100% of the snaps last week, 91% the week before. He's starting at SLB, with Akeem Dent at MLB, and fellow UDFA Joplo Bartu at WLB according to the gamebook. Worrilow and Bartu are the nickel LBs and both played 100% of the snaps last week. Dent played 62% which was an increase from the week before (54%).

All of this could go out the window soon, as the starting WLB Sean Weatherspoon could be back soon from the short term IR (might practice this week, week 11 vs Tampa return possible). When healthy, Spoon will be a 3-down LB. So which one of Bartu and Worrilow loses snaps there is up in the air. My bet is Bartu goes to the bench, but there may be a rotation.

If they moved Worrilow to MLB, which is where he originally was the backup, where he flashed in the preseason, and where he is easily the more complete LB than Dent, I would wholeheartedly say not a fluke, grab him ASAP. But at SLB, fluke seems more probable. And with SEA and TB upcoming, I'd expect more rushing than passing, meaning less nickel, more snaps for Dent, thus more competition for tackles.

But if he can do it again this week, by all means jump on the trend.

Paul Worrilow has earned the right to be the Atlanta Falcons ‘ starting linebacker when Sean Weatherspoon comes back from his foot injury. No matter who takes the third linebacker spot between Ake…

No one expected Atlanta Falcons undrafted rookie linebacker Paul Worrilow to start an NFL game this season, let alone lead the team with double-digit tackles in a game. So when Worrilow posted a care…

Paul Worrilow has earned the right to be the Atlanta Falcons ‘ starting linebacker when Sean Weatherspoon comes back from his foot injury. No matter who takes the third linebacker spot between Ake…
Thats an opinion piece ftr. That's the writer making his thoughts into a title.

So, please, coach Mike Smith, let Paul "The Warlock" Worrilow be the Falcons' starting middle linebacker for the long term. You won't be sorry.

Pretty sure Weatherspoon can't be activated until next week. He went on short term IR after Week 2, and must be on it for 8 weeks.

Dent has only one year remaining on his contract, which makes Worrilow a great stash if you have deep rosters. He's stashed on my Taxi Squad thanks to this here, fancy-pants IDP forum. :tebow:

I see some assumptions that have the potential to be misguided in the thread.

Take what I am about to post with a grain of salt and treat it as such if you will.

In the last three games Worrilow missed only about 10 snaps out of 200+.

The gamebook may call him an SLB, but the way I see it is that he lines up more like a WLB.

womb said:
I see some assumptions that have the potential to be misguided in the thread.

Take what I am about to post with a grain of salt and treat it as such if you will.

In the last three games Worrilow missed only about 10 snaps out of 200+.

The gamebook may call him an SLB, but the way I see it is that he lines up more like a WLB.
You're right. He was at WLB last week, at least on the few plays on film at NFL.com. Bartu replaced Spoon at WLB earlier this year, so I assumed they kept it that way after benching SLB Nicholas a few weeks ago. My bad.

Problem is this could mean Spoony is coming for him. Falcons should put him at MLB with Spoon and Bartu, but they seem to still like Dent. Does anyone know what their plans are here?

Don't know plans, but worrilow has been better in all phases, the season is over, dent only has one more year on his contract, while worrilow has three.

Atlanta would be crazy not to give him three downs.

Worrilow first came on my radar 2 years ago when I saw him play at Delaware. His instincts were impressive. I didn't realize he had walked onto that program until recently. Regardless, he was a tackle machine throughout his career for the Hens. He became one of my favorite draft prospects last year after his pro day performance.

Forty 4.59

Short Shuttle 3.94 Seconds

3-Cone 6.50 Seconds

Broad Jump 10'4"

Vertical Jump 34 1/2"

Bench Press 30

In addition to the elite physical characteristics, he averaged 10.7 tackles in his final season. I have the combine / pro day metrics for more than 1300 LB's that have gotten a shot in the NFL since 1999. From a physical perspective, he's one of the most gifted. If he continues to see the opportunity, I'll be surprised if he's not a future pro bowl caliber player.

After his 10 tackle performance in preseason I picked him up in all my dynasty leagues figuring there was now way they kept him off the field forever. Glad he's doing well now! My highest scoring player two weeks in a row now

This will be an interesting one to watch unfold. I have a waiver claim in for him this week -- just don't see how you put a guy on the bench that's playing as well as he is.

He's smaller and runs well so I assume the nickel is a good fit for him, what are the chances he retains 3 down responsibilities?

Mike Smith:

“He’s got very good instincts,” Nolan said. “He seems to make the right decision when it’s time to go find the ball and that’s a huge factor. Your really good players are not only talented, but they have that factor. That’s what helped him a lot. He’s shown that he’s a good tackler.”

Falcons coach Mike Smith gave Worrilow the ultimate compliment.

“It’s been a pleasant surprise to see him to continue to grow not only as a first and second down linebacker, but as a third down linebacker,” Smith said.

http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/atlanta-falcons/2013/nov/08/falcons-lb-paul-worrilow-his-19-tackle-performance/

Pretty sure Weatherspoon can't be activated until next week. He went on short term IR after Week 2, and must be on it for 8 weeks.
Falcons activated WLB Sean Weatherspoon (foot) from injured reserve/designated to return.

Coach Mike Smith announced on Monday that Weatherspoon will be ready to roll for Wednesday's practice. 'Spoon will presumably start Sunday's game against the Bucs, though it's possible he'll be on a snap count. Weatherspoon last played in Week 2.

so what happens this week?

I have a WW claim in and will roll the dice. I'm also concerned that they are playing TB with no run game but the guy is a stud...

I have a WW claim in and will roll the dice. I'm also concerned that they are playing TB with no run game but the guy is a stud...
but that's not really true -- they just ran the ball 30x in what was a fairly competitive game, and I don't see any reason to think atlanta will be up big early on anybody.

Answer: Head coach Mike Smith wouldn’t divulge the answer to this question during his Monday press conference, stating that it would be like giving away a competitive advantage to the Buccaneers. That doesn’t keep us from speculating, right? The scenario you described, Scott, seems possible in my eyes. Worrilow has experience at all three LB positions dating back to his Delaware days, so seeing him slide to the middle wouldn’t be overly surprising. That would make your corps: Sean Weatherspoon at weakside, Worrilow in the middle and Joplo Bartu at strong. But don’t be so quick to dismiss Akeem Dent. That’s the conundrum facing the Falcons coaching staff this week. How do you shoehorn four linebackers into three spots? If I had to guess, however, your scenario would be my choice.
http://blogs.atlantafalcons.com/2013/11/12/falcons-mailbag-fans-wild-worrilow/

No worrilow or weatherspoon in this week's projections. Only ATL LB in projections are Bartu and Dent (waaay down the list).

I havent seen Worrilow play at all this year. Would he be negatively impacted moving positions in ATL's scheme? Vincent Rey and Daryl Washington are available but right now I have Worrilow plugged in :shrug:

I havent seen Worrilow play at all this year. Would he be negatively impacted moving positions in ATL's scheme? Vincent Rey and

Daryl Washington are available but right now I

have Worrilow plugged in :shrug:
Daryl Washington is available!? He is a proven IDP beast, without question. Worrilow and Rey have done well recently, but they have playing time issues that could derail them. Washington has proven that he is one of the best IDP

linebackers in the NFL.

I havent seen Worrilow play at all this year. Would he be negatively impacted moving positions in ATL's scheme? Vincent Rey and

Daryl Washington are available but right now I

have Worrilow plugged in :shrug:
Daryl Washington is available!? He is a proven IDP beast, without question. Worrilow and Rey have done well recently, but they have playing time issues that could derail them. Washington has proven that he is one of the best IDP linebackers in the NFL.
Yes I understand that DW has proven history. This year he hasn't put up THAT great of numbers and Worrilow has been far exceeding him...at least in my leagues scoring system.

I would pick up Washington too, but I think it's a crime that FBG doesn't even have Worrilow ranked. What's up with that?

Bob Wiley said:
I would pick up Washington too, but I think it's a crime that FBG doesn't even have Worrilow ranked. What's up with that?
FBG's content updates have really been slow this year, but in general the "big" idp sites like FBG and PFF Fantasy seem to be hyper, hyper conservative about recommending anyone they didn't expect to be a factor at the beginning of the season. The PFF guys on the podcast almost sounded pained when they recommended picking him up as a "low end lb3 with upside" after his second 19 tackle week.

Bob Wiley said:
FBG's content updates have really been slow this year, but in general the "big" idp sites like FBG and PFF Fantasy seem to be hyper, hyper conservative about recommending anyone they didn't expect to be a factor at the beginning of the season. The PFF guys on the podcast almost sounded pained when they recommended picking him up as a "low end lb3 with upside" after his second 19 tackle week.
No #### lol. I think I'm sick "experts" using that term while being cautious. Pick a dam side. I guess this way they can never be wrong.

Bob Wiley said:
which pff podcast?

last idp one was last thursday, which was after 1 week.

if it's any consolation, these guys right here just peed themselves over rey after just 1 week.

the problem I have with worrilow is I have no clue what chair everybody gets when the music stops over there.

As a general rule of thumb I don't really look at the IDP rankings until Thursday or later. It seems they are the "real" ones. Wednesday - no Worrilow - I looked Thursday and he's ranked. It's the same with the DL and DB rankings as well. From Wednesday to Thursday there were guys ranked top 10 that dropped to 20 or lower, and low ones moved up. Just off the top of my head one that I remember was Sendejo - Wednesday he was ranked top 5; Thursday he dropped to 30 something (no injury or news between those days that I noticed).

Long story short, start to really pay attention to the rankings Thursday or later.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a general rule of thumb I don't really look at the IDP rankings until Thursday or later. It seems they are the "real" ones. Wednesday - no Worrilow - I looked Thursday and he's ranked. It's the same with the DL and DB rankings as well. From Wednesday to Thursday there were guys ranked top 10 that dropped to 20 or lower, and low ones moved up. Just off the top of my head one that I remember was Sendejo - Wednesday he was ranked top 5; Thursday he dropped to 30 something (no injury or news between those days that I noticed).

Long story short, start to really pay attention to the rankings Thursday or later.
Actually, this is Worrilows first appearance in the rankings. Sendejo probably dropped once it became clear Jamarca Sanford is going to play this week. With Sanford out, Sendejo has significantly more value.

No #### lol. I think I'm sick "experts" using that term while being cautious. Pick a dam side. I guess this way they can never be wrong.
I agree. Doesn't mean anything but I ranked Worrilow for the first time in Week 4....actually had Bartu ranked in Week 1. Ranked them both in my overall preseason ranks. I didn't have them very high, but they were both squarely on my radar. However, I tend to have a soft spot for the guys off the radar.

Actually, this is Worrilows first appearance in the rankings. Sendejo probably dropped once it became clear Jamarca Sanford is going to play this week. With Sanford out, Sendejo has significantly more value.
That's what I was saying. The first time I saw Worrilow was Thursday, which happens often. Sendejo was one example of many on the D side of the ball - I just picked his name out of many that moved Thursday. I'm not justifying anyone being ranked anywhere. I'm just saying it seems oftentimes the rankings before Thursday aren't really indicitive of the current week's matchups, for whatever reason. Sanford was speculated to come back before Thursday, yet it didn't reflect it on the rankings 'till after Wednesday.

10 points already for me

first time a fluke, second time a trend, thrid time............................

Users who are viewing this thread