What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WSL 3 Draft Commentary (2 Viewers)

rzrback77

IBL Representative
Predictably Adrian Peterson, coming off an incredible season and still in what some would consider a recovery period is the top pick.That is followed up by a Raven fan headed to the Super Bowl taking the multi-talented Ray Rice second, so we are still looking for a surprise pick.I encourage all of the WSL 3 drafters to participate in this thread and share your logic about drafting as well as your player evaluations. There are really only two rules. The first is to NOT discuss players not yet drafted and the second is just to be a good neighbor. :football:

Last edited by a moderator:
Believe it or not, I was struggling with two others in addition to Rice. I guess homerism broke the tie.

Regarding The Rice pick, I have read sufficient comments from you to recognize thoughtful and intelligent insight, so I did not insinuate blind homerism. However, the attractiveness of Rice combined with your team affiliation left no doubt for me.

Preferred Doug Martin as the pick here as his all-around involvement in the Tampa Bay offense, both running for an average of 20 times per game and being heavily involved in the passing game consistently placed him above the rest for me.I am not surprised that the first four picks have all been running backs primarily because the pool of those players that are consistently and frequently used is rather small.

Preferred Doug Martin as the pick here as his all-around involvement in the Tampa Bay offense, both running for an average of 20 times per game and being heavily involved in the passing game consistently placed him above the rest for me.I am not surprised that the first four picks have all been running backs primarily because the pool of those players that are consistently and frequently used is rather small.
Considered Martin at #3 versus Foster... Over all I think Houston's offense provides more opportunity than TB's offense with a ? at QB for next season

I'm going to have very limited access most of tomorrow. WHo can take a list for me for tommorow (won't send it until late tonight or early AM tomorrow)

TRR in the house.I have access to the forums at work.I can assist with lists.I don't have any of WSL 3 in my phone, just a bunch of 1 and 2 s.PM if you need help.peace

Should I pick when Busman's timer expires or wait since its the first round? I think historically we move the expired clock drafter to the bottom of the round, but I'll wait for a ruling before picking.

Should I pick when Busman's timer expires or wait since its the first round? I think historically we move the expired clock drafter to the bottom of the round, but I'll wait for a ruling before picking.
Here is my opinion. Busman and valence have both been active in the leagues for years.Busman s well aware of the rules.But his body of work is good.50% says to let him ride unitl the clock is off at midnight50% says he knows the rules and valence should pick anytime after 8:07 PMLast year, i picked when the timer expired on Rudnicki in the first round...i regret that.Up to you Valence. I will back you either way.Peace

'teamramrod said:
'valence said:
Here is my opinion. Busman and valence have both been active in the leagues for years.Busman s well aware of the rules.But his body of work is good.50% says to let him ride unitl the clock is off at midnight50% says he knows the rules and valence should pick anytime after 8:07 PMLast year, i picked when the timer expired on Rudnicki in the first round...i regret that.Up to you Valence. I will back you either way.Peace
some food for thought
BusMan Last Active: Jan 18 2013 09:09 AM

'teamramrod said:
'valence said:
some food for thought
BusMan Last Active: Jan 18 2013 09:09 AM
I agree Hell, you are an active guy as well. Benefit of the doubt for first round only here.peace

Yeah...I don't see a real need to push it in the first round of a WSL.That said....I'm not going to send a list out this far away. I'll try to check early AM and maybe send one, but it might have to wait until I get home from a clinical at 8 PM

I've never felt a need to push it in the WSLs so it's cool with me. I'm west coast and off tomorrow so I may not check in until after 8am PST. Hopefully busman has shown up by then

Sorry Busman. Don't hate me.Lots of options at 1.05 but I felt Lynch was the safest of them and safe is what I want in a top 5 pick; especially in a WSL

Sorry Busman. Don't hate me.Lots of options at 1.05 but I felt Lynch was the safest of them and safe is what I want in a top 5 pick; especially in a WSL
Lynch is definitely going to be highly involved in the Seattle offensive game plan, but with the maturity of their rookie QB, will the team increase his involvement, particularly in the passing game.Speaking of a safe pick, Rodgers at 1.6 is a solid pick there. It is about this spot that the top quarterbacks start coming off the board. How many will be highly ranked for 2013 and how quickly will all the top guys go?

At 1.06 the remaining running backs have to much risk IMHO to warrant a first round pick.Went with a safe pick in Aaron Rodgers and wont I be getting sniped at that position. :boxing:

At 1.06 the remaining running backs have to much risk IMHO to warrant a first round pick.Went with a safe pick in Aaron Rodgers and wont I be getting sniped at that position. :boxing:
Completely agree. Had come to the same conclusion and chose Brees before looking in this thread.

Kind of hoped Brees would slip. Really feels like a pretty significant drop-off across the board at my pick.

Been more wrapped up in the Jets soap opera than ranking players this offseason - BTW, Unsually a Darksider but, I'm 100% happy with this offseason, GM Firing / Hiring so far regardless of the media angles on everything NYJ. That said, peeked in on this draft and unlike some years, saw a lot of options at the Turn around - QB, TE, RB, WR - My choice. Also surprised to see Shady on the board and figured he would be the least likely to make it back. Will be interesting to see Shady in the Chip Kelly offense - hopefully a better all around offense and play calling brings him back to stud range!!!* Pm'd Busman - not sure he's been around :confused:

Been more wrapped up in the Jets soap opera than ranking players this offseason - BTW, Unsually a Darksider but, I'm 100% happy with this offseason, GM Firing / Hiring so far regardless of the media angles on everything NYJ.

That said, peeked in on this draft and unlike some years, saw a lot of options at the Turn around - QB, TE, RB, WR - My choice. Also surprised to see Shady on the board and figured he would be the least likely to make it back.

Will be interesting to see Shady in the Chip Kelly offense - hopefully a better all around offense and play calling brings him back to stud range!!!

* Pm'd Busman - not sure he's been around :confused:
thought in all of these, this was one of the early steals where you got him....

No worries on bumping me to the bottom, guys. I thought the draft was going to start on Sunday for some reason. Glad I thought to check in today. I don't think I've ever drafted from the turn in one of these survivor leagues. Should be interesting.As for my two first round picks:TE Jimmy Graham, New Orleans SaintsWR Julio Jones, Atlanta FalconsI usually wait on TEs in this format, but that never seems to work out for me. With the best options at RB and QB gone, I decided to go TE and WR. Julio might be the slightest of reaches here, but his ability to be the #1 WR scorer on any given week was too tempting to pass up.Love the WSL (and all the SLs) for keeping my FF iron sharpened all year long.:heartyouguys:

No worries on bumping me to the bottom, guys. I thought the draft was going to start on Sunday for some reason. Glad I thought to check in today. I don't think I've ever drafted from the turn in one of these survivor leads. Should be interesting.As for my two first round picks:TE Jimmy Graham, New Orleans SaintsWR Julio Jones, Atlanta FalconsI usually wait on TEs in this format, but that never seems to work out for me. With the best options at RB and QB gone, I decided to go TE and WR. Julio might be the slightest of reaches here, but his ability to be the #1 WR scorer on any given week was too tempting to pass up.Love the WSL (and all the SLs) for keeping my FF iron sharpened all year long.:heartyouguys:
Really glad that you checked in. Drafting on the ends is always a little more of a challenge because you have to wait for 30 picks until your time comes around again. With that difficulty lying ahead of you, it sure seems like you had a dynamite beginning and the move downward to #16 doesn't appear to be much of a punishment.

Regarding The Rice pick, I have read sufficient comments from you to recognize thoughtful and intelligent insight, so I did not insinuate blind homerism. However, the attractiveness of Rice combined with your team affiliation left no doubt for me.
No worries - I didn't take it that way. I was leaning hard towards Shady McCoy with Chip Kelly coming in (Foster was the other). Bernard Pierce is a worry in that he'll cut into Rice's opportunities, but I like the way Caldwell's calling games and I think there will be plenty of touches for Rice.

Wow, Sorry for my delay. I have the flu and it treated me like Seven Ridley yesterday.That has to be made into a verb somehow....peace

So Fullback Fro says....[paraphrase on]I am going to the superbowl, sorry, please take over my team..[paraphrase off]Come on Fro, treat us like the FootBallGuys that we are....[should have said] I AM GOING TO NOLA- you aint!!!I AM GOING TO WATCH THE GAME LIVE- you aintI AM GOING TO FIND ONE OF THOSE FOUR OLD GUYS WHO WENT TO EVERY GAME AND LAUGH AT THEM IN THEIR FACE-you aint!!![should have said off]Enjoy FBF.Peace

Had Chris Johnson along with Roddy White at the top of my list for my 2nd round selection. I just did not see any reason that Johnson should have slipped that low, but I was not anxious to start the draft RB-RB. I probably would have done it though because of his consistent involvement in the Titans' offensive game plan.I am glad to get Roddy White though as he has been one of the highest targeted wide receivers over the past five seasons. Even sharing with Julio Jones and Gonzalez, he has been a consistent steady producer. If Gonzalez does decide to ride off into the sunset after the outstanding year that he had in 2012, then White and Jones should have additional opportunities.

My first two picks were attempts at "safety"- figured Brees shows no signs of slipping, and Dez is on the rise. Not sure when the time will be to take big risks - I'm guessing not far from now though.On another note, first time I have drafted using purely my own rankings (meaning not starting with someone else's list and then tweaking it, purely from scratch) in probably 8 years. Liking that part for sure.

My first two picks were attempts at "safety"- figured Brees shows no signs of slipping, and Dez is on the rise. Not sure when the time will be to take big risks - I'm guessing not far from now though.On another note, first time I have drafted using purely my own rankings (meaning not starting with someone else's list and then tweaking it, purely from scratch) in probably 8 years. Liking that part for sure.
I grabbed dez in wsl1 but not feeling like it was a safe pick. seems like one of the riskier picks in the first few rounds.

'Fiddles said:
'kardplayer said:
I grabbed dez in wsl1 but not feeling like it was a safe pick. seems like one of the riskier picks in the first few rounds.
I'm a big believer that for most guys, the system is a big factor. No data behind that, just gut. Looking at the guys after him, a lot have new HC's or OC's, so I avoided them (Forte for example). I possibly should have taken Aaron Hernandez instead, but I actually had narrowed to Dez and Cobb, and just figured Dez outplayed Cobb by too much this year to risk that Cobb would close the gap entirely.

'Fiddles said:
'kardplayer said:
I'm a big believer that for most guys, the system is a big factor. No data behind that, just gut. Looking at the guys after him, a lot have new HC's or OC's, so I avoided them (Forte for example). I possibly should have taken Aaron Hernandez instead, but I actually had narrowed to Dez and Cobb, and just figured Dez outplayed Cobb by too much this year to risk that Cobb would close the gap entirely.
Dez has Bill Callahan calling plays now which is a change but really what I meant was hes a bonehead and its a long offseason. Still hes hard to pass up seeing how he performed this year.

'Fiddles said:
'kardplayer said:
Dez has Bill Callahan calling plays now which is a change but really what I meant was hes a bonehead and its a long offseason. Still hes hard to pass up seeing how he performed this year.
Doh! Didn't count on the bonehead factor. Great... now I have to worry all offseason!

Curious as to why Renesauz would even question drafting Colston late in the third because that is solid value.I see now and that is an interesting beginning to say the least. Not many will be able to compete with you wide receivers.

Curious as to why Renesauz would even question drafting Colston late in the third because that is solid value.I see now and that is an interesting beginning to say the least. Not many will be able to compete with you wide receivers.
Yeah...a little worried I've drafted myself into a corner. So many ???? on the RBs I had a hard time pulling the trigger on one. IN the fourth, almost took Mathews, but still felt like WR value was better. Went QB instead because it's even more dangerous.Still...my WR value is SIIIIICCCCKKK if I can get a couple viable RBs and a relatively safe QB2.

Old Milwaukee takes an early second quarterback, hoping to either greatly out produce others at that position or force everyone to follow suit and take them early to leave some value at other positions.He is the only two QB guy and 13 have been drafted.We still have one without an RB and 20 are gone, ten teams with one & five teams with twoVariety is the theme at WR with 23 gone. Two teams with none, seven teams with one, five teams with two, and two teams have already grabbed three. Renesauz with Andre Johnson, A J Green & Colston. Me with Roddy White, Vincent Jackson & Steve Johnson.Tight ends dragging behind with only 5 taken and one of those was really a surprise pick IMO.Also surprised at how early Robert Geiffin has been taken.

Headed out of town this evening and will not have as much access to the internet, so the updates will be less frequently made.Upside is that we have slowed down enough that frequent updates are not necessary. :football:

QB Russell WilsonRB Frank GoreRB Mikel LeshoureWR Julio JonesWR Cecil ShortsTE Jimmy GrahamDidn't love either of my last picks. Guess its that part of the draft.

Regretting taking Brees in the first. Feeling better about the QB's that were available in the last few rounds than the RB's. Probably should have taken McCoy #1. My RB's now are like a greatest hits of "wasn't that guy supposed to be good"?QB BreesRB Matthews GreeneWR Bryant CrabtreeTE Olsen

4.04 Joe Flacco6.04 Andy Dalton1.13 AJ Green2.04 Andre Johnson3.13 Marquis Colston5.13 BenJarvis Green-EllisObviously about as strong a WR start as is possible. I've been stuck at QB in WSL's before....always 4 or 5 QB situations in the air. Wasn't going to be stuck there again. Flacco and Dalton individually are pretty boring, but as a pair is pretty strong, IMO.Still a lot of TE's on the board. I won't have a stud, but can still draft a solid group.Obviously the danger is at RB. Few clear starters left, and my top pick at the position is hardly a RB1, or even perfectly safe as the starter on his own team. I'll have to spend an extra pick or two at the position and hope a mid-late round pick catches fire.

Users who are viewing this thread