What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The tuck rule, continuation rule, complete the process rule (1 Viewer)

Da Guru

Fair & Balanced
Too many rules are ruining the NFL!!

Let the players play the game. Calvin Johnson makes a great play for a game winning TD but it is over ruled because the process of continuation. Have Calvin ran the ball in and the same thing happened....TD!!

Last edited by a moderator:
If one knee equals two feet then two feet and a butt cheek have to be worth something other than an incompletion.

That was the biggest robbery in the history of the game.
Can't argue with that. Let's see. RB dives over goalline and crosses plane: TD, doesn't matter if he flips the ball over his shoulder before hitting the ground.WR jumps up and catches the ball across the line, comes down with both feet, ### hits ground also, ball hits ground in hand, WR lets go...Incomplete pass. Yep that makes sense.The fact the the head of officiating was defending it makes them a joke.

That was a preposterous call. If the rules really dictate that that was an incompletion, then the rules are stupid and it's another Bert Emmanuel play.

Serious question.....say that a WR makes a catch in the back of the end zone....clearly in possession of the ball, gets 2 feet inbounds. He falls out of bounds and the ball comes loose when he hits the ground.....is that not a TD anymore?

This is a rule that needs to be addressed right away. A RB can leap over a pile and lose control of the ball in mid-air, come down empty handed without touching the ground..but if he crossed the goal line it is a TD.

So a WR catches the ball with two feet in bounds (like megatron did)...why wouldn't you then cheap shot and cut his legs out? If he drops it on when he hits the ground it's incomplete...right?

Serious question.....say that a WR makes a catch in the back of the end zone....clearly in possession of the ball, gets 2 feet inbounds. He falls out of bounds and the ball comes loose when he hits the ground.....is that not a TD anymore?
By Rule, if he is contacted by a defender in the air then No that would not be a TD.If he falls on his own, then it's a TD.C. Johnson was clearly down, in my book. His knee was even down before the ball came close to the ground. after the knee hits, his hand with the ball touches the ground. In what can only be called a premature celebration, Johnson believes he just caught a game winning TD and leaves the ball on the ground to celebrate.. Dumb move on Johnson's part, but, IMO, wrong interpretation of the rule.

If a guy catches the ball in the endzone and falls to the ground, then rolls around in circles for 15 minutes, and drops it as he's standing up 15 minutes later, is that an incompletion? I think this rule says it is...

By Rule, if he is contacted by a defender in the air then No that would not be a TD.If he falls on his own, then it's a TD.C. Johnson was clearly down, in my book. His knee was even down before the ball came close to the ground. after the knee hits, his hand with the ball touches the ground. In what can only be called a premature celebration, Johnson believes he just caught a game winning TD and leaves the ball on the ground to celebrate.. Dumb move on Johnson's part, but, IMO, wrong interpretation of the rule.
So if he has two feet inbounds and is pushed out by a defender and the ball comes loose when he hits the ground, it's not a TD? But if he falls because his momentum carries him out of bounds and the ball comes loose, it's TD? :angry:

These rules are not cut and dried. They are tricky and need to be interpreted properly. The tuck and Calvin's play today were both interpreted poorly. You people talking about a rule is a rule and the correct call was made, ignore that the rules need to be interpreted properly.

If Calvins catch was ruled a TD I do not think any Chicago fan would have even blinked or complained.

It was aTD...but the continuation of the process of the catch was not complete, yet if that happened outside the end zone it would have been ruled a catch and the ground caused a fumble.

If Calvins catch was ruled a TD I do not think any Chicago fan would have even blinked or complained. It was aTD...but the continuation of the process of the catch was not complete, yet if that happened outside the end zone it would have been ruled a catch and the ground caused a fumble.
It can't be a fumble until he has possession.

If Calvins catch was ruled a TD I do not think any Chicago fan would have even blinked or complained. It was aTD...but the continuation of the process of the catch was not complete, yet if that happened outside the end zone it would have been ruled a catch and the ground caused a fumble.
If that play would have been on the first play of the fourth quarter, could Calvin Johnson have lain there on the ground, with the clock running, for fifteen minutes and gotten up with the ball after time expired?

By Rule, if he is contacted by a defender in the air then No that would not be a TD.If he falls on his own, then it's a TD.

C. Johnson was clearly down, in my book. His knee was even down before the ball came close to the ground. after the knee hits, his hand with the ball touches the ground. In what can only be called a premature celebration, Johnson believes he just caught a game winning TD and leaves the ball on the ground to celebrate..

Dumb move on Johnson's part, but, IMO, wrong interpretation of the rule.
No, the contact from the ground caused the ball to slip out of his hand.

Not by the rule:Item 1: Player Going to the Ground. If a player goes to the ground in the act ofcatching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain controlof the ball after he touches the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. Ifhe loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control,the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground,the pass is complete.

This is a rule that needs to be addressed right away. A RB can leap over a pile and lose control of the ball in mid-air, come down empty handed without touching the ground..but if he crossed the goal line it is a TD.
Because he maintained control (possession) of the ball until it crossed the goal. Likewise if a receiver catches the ball at the one and crosses the goal line and then loses the ball it is a td. On a throw into the endzone, since the ball is in the air as it crosses the goal there is no possession until the pass is complete.

Not by the rule:Item 1: Player Going to the Ground. If a player goes to the ground in the act ofcatching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain controlof the ball after he touches the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. Ifhe loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control,the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground,the pass is complete.
Calvin had control of the ball after he touched the ground and maintained control all the way until the ball touched the ground and he subsequently released it.

Calvin had control of the ball after he touched the ground and maintained control all the way until the ball touched the ground and he subsequently released it.
Released it, lost control of it. Fine line.

That was the biggest robbery in the history of the game.
Tuck rule was way worse. That decided the NFL champion.The Lions and Bears will likely both be out of it by December.
The tuck rule cost the Raiders a possible Super Bowl win. This was a complete disgrace. Brien Billick said "If that is not a TD..I don`t know what is"
The GSOT would have destroyed the Raiders. Be glad it saved them the embarrassment.

That's just it. I think he released it, not lost control. apparently the refs felt he lost control. I only saw it once but what I saw I can see how they would make that call. I could also see it going the other way. Either way I think it's a crap rule. You catch the ball and touch two feet to the ground in the endzone...td.

I think he lost control when the ball hit the ground. But the fact is he had control through both feet touching the ground, a knee touching the ground, his ### touching the ground, his other hand touching the ground. He only lost control after his catching hand hit the ground. He clearly had control of the ball 'after he touches the ground', which is exactly what the rule states. The rule was not meant to apply after possession was established with two feet down. This was more meant for a receiver diving for a ball or getting hit in the air, IMO.

He clearly had control until the ball touched the ground. That's when the rule ends. Terrible ruling both on the field and in the booth.

I think he lost control when the ball hit the ground. But the fact is he had control through both feet touching the ground, a knee touching the ground, his ### touching the ground, his other hand touching the ground. He only lost control after his catching hand hit the ground. He clearly had control of the ball 'after he touches the ground', which is exactly what the rule states. The rule was not meant to apply after possession was established with two feet down. This was more meant for a receiver diving for a ball or getting hit in the air, IMO.
FTR: the knee and the ### both equal 2 feet.So thats 6 steps plus a hand.
Calvin Johnson would have been called traveling call in an NBA all-star game after all that.

Correct. By the current definition, you need to catch it, drive home, mow your lawn, drive back to the stadium and hand it to the official maintaining possession throughout. Sounds absurd, but the above is not far from the truth. It's close to where you need to catch it, stand up and hand it to the official.

Too many rules are ruining the NFL!! Let the players play the game. Calvin Johnson makes a great play for a game winning TD but it is over ruled because the process of continuation. Have Calvin ran the ball in and the same thing happened....TD!!
I thought by now they'd have changed that rule. They got it right by the rule, but it's absurd that you can catch the ball, get two feet, a knee, a hand, a hip and an ### plus a palmed football on the ground in bounds and still not get a catch. Major, major bad rule that should've been changed a long time ago.

Too many rules are ruining the NFL!! Let the players play the game. Calvin Johnson makes a great play for a game winning TD but it is over ruled because the process of continuation. Have Calvin ran the ball in and the same thing happened....TD!!
I thought by now they'd have changed that rule. They got it right by the rule, but it's absurd that you can catch the ball, get two feet, a knee, a hand, a hip and an ### plus a palmed football on the ground in bounds and still not get a catch. Major, major bad rule that should've been changed a long time ago.
What part of after hitting the ground is confusing. The rule does not say after you hit the ground for the sixth time. The call was wrong by rule and facts.

Chicago Tribune Bear Fan Poll......80% say it was:

A. A catch

B. Not a catch

Reguardless, by rule the play was dead....The ump had his hands in the air signalling TD and Johnson had the ball. After that point nothing else matters.

Because he maintained control (possession) of the ball until it crossed the goal. Likewise if a receiver catches the ball at the one and crosses the goal line and then loses the ball it is a td. On a throw into the endzone, since the ball is in the air as it crosses the goal there is no possession until the pass is complete.
:rolleyes: This is the answer to a lot of questions/silly comments in here.

Just saw it on replay. Correct call by rule. He didn't release the ball. He lost it when he came to the ground.

Amazing that in 40 years of watching NFL football games Ive never seen anything close to this happening before today. The more i watch the replay the more i see a great TD catch! About as outrageous a call/rule that could be. QBs hold the end of the ball over the goal line when there body is yards away from it then have it slapped out of there hands and its a TD. Players can be almost five yards out of bounds flying in the air Reggie Bush style but if the end of the ball in an stretched out hand goes over the pylon its a TD all the while barely having control at all and the ball gets dropped the sec he crosses the line!...how in the world can Calvin's play not be a TD also? He caught the ball..transferred to one hand like he would had he caught it with one hand..went down and used the ball as an extension of his hand bracing himself and simply let it go out his hand..all this AFTER he caught the dam ball!..WTF is going on with that? It almost looked like he caught it twice really and then just downed himself while dropping the ball...like a spiked ball after a TD! Ya it cost me a few FF points..but had I had big multiple parley wager going with only needing Det to win outright to win big bucks id be freaking wildly and you can bet there were many who had that exact thing happen to them today..bridge jumping time for sure..someone may have done a swan dive off the stratosphere today after the BS play!! Something must be done to make sure that nonsense never happens again..change the rule..like yesterday!

I'm convinced that the league has these ridiculous rules in place in order to manipulate the scoreboard, and they need a certain level of incompetence from their officials to give them cover.

It's disgraceful.

I have felt this way ever since I saw the Pitt v. SD Game when Troy Polamalu scored a TD as time expired, as the Steelers were lining up to kick the extra point, the replay official buzzed in, called for review, they overturned the TD, and said the game was over. WTH??

In the end the Steelers won, 11-10. But the final score should have been 17-10 or -- pending an extra-point kick that never happened -- 18-10. The result was significant because Pittsburgh was favored by 4 points.

The postgame explanation by game referee Scott Green, who admitted Polamalu's touchdown was erroneously taken away from the Steelers, is sure to anger some bettors and raise concerns about the integrity of NFL officiating.
http://www.lvrj.com/sports/34571674.html

Amazing that in 40 years of watching NFL football games Ive never seen anything close to this happening before today. The more i watch the replay the more i see a great TD catch! About as outrageous a call/rule that could be. QBs hold the end of the ball over the goal line when there body is yards away from it then have it slapped out of there hands and its a TD. Players can be almost five yards out of bounds flying in the air Reggie Bush style but if the end of the ball in an stretched out hand goes over the pylon its a TD all the while barely having control at all and the ball gets dropped the sec he crosses the line!...how in the world can Calvin's play not be a TD also? He caught the ball..transferred to one hand like he would had he caught it with one hand..went down and used the ball as an extension of his hand bracing himself and simply let it go out his hand..all this AFTER he caught the dam ball!..WTF is going on with that? It almost looked like he caught it twice really and then just downed himself while dropping the ball...like a spiked ball after a TD! Ya it cost me a few FF points..but had I had big multiple parley wager going with only needing Det to win outright to win big bucks id be freaking wildly and you can bet there were many who had that exact thing happen to them today..bridge jumping time for sure..someone may have done a swan dive off the stratosphere today after the BS play!! Something must be done to make sure that nonsense never happens again..change the rule..like yesterday!
Who thinks of rules like this?? It makes the game way more complicated than it should be.

Just saw it on replay. Correct call by rule. He didn't release the ball. He lost it when he came to the ground.
He did not lose control when he came to the ground. He lost control when he was getting up off the ground. Horrible rule. Horrible call.Go Bears!

Who thinks of rules like this??
People who want to manipulate and control the game on the field

What part of after hitting the ground is confusing. The rule does not say after you hit the ground for the sixth time. The call was wrong by rule and facts.
Glad to see you're as far from being right in the SP as you are in the FFA. I hate the rule, but the refs got it right. Worst rule in sports IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread