What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*--* 2014 Seattle Seahawks Thread *--* (2 Viewers)

Hooper31

Footballguy
Its good to be the king. Who knows how long it will last? In today's NFL the obvious answer is much shorter than longer. Starting lists of possible player changes. I don't know them all. Will update as people point out my errors.

Unrestricted Free Agents:

DL Michael Bennett

WR Golden Tate

CB Walter Thurmond

CB Brandon Browner

K Steven Hauschka

DT Clinton McDonald

DT Tony McDaniel

QB Tavaris Jackson

OG Paul Mcquistan

OT Breno Giacomini

TE Anthony McCoy

S CHris Maragos

TE Kellen Davis

OC Lemuel Jeanpierre

LB O'Brien Schofield

?? FB Michael Robinson ?? -unsure of his status

Focus here for me is the D-line. Bennett and both the McD's are priority one in my book. I think Tate is entertained. He has voiced his hope of staying in Seattle on twitter letting the team know he will take less money. Pretty sure his agent had an aneurysm at that moment. Wouldn't be surprised to see Browner and Thurmond both return as their off field issues will cause other teams to shy away. No idea what QB Tavaris Jackson is thinking. Does he see himself as a starter in this league? Don't we all sort of hope he feels like he has a home as WIlson's backup? I see it as a huge comfort knowing we have a backup that can win games.

Restricted Free Agents:

WR Doug Baldwin

S Jeron Johnson

LB Mike Morgan

Baldwin likely a 2nd round tender. I have serious doubts anyone gives up a second for Baldwin given the incoming draft class is so strong at WR.

Potential cap casualties:

WR Sidney Rice ($7.3 million in savings in cap space)

DE Chris Clemons ($7.5 million in savings in cap space)

DE Red Bryant ($5.5 million in savings in cap space)

TE Zach Miller ($5.0 million in savings in cap space)

Egos are going to be hurt. Life in the NFL I guess. Will be curious to see how the team handles this. In the past we watched the team pay players for past performance. That time is over if Schneider and Carroll hold true to their beliefs. I can't see more than one of these players getting paid (Bryant IMO). Perhaps Miller, but I have my doubts. I think Rice's likelihood of resigning with the team went up when he got hurt. Won't be surprised to see the team wait until the last moment before cutting him and then renegotiating. He probably realizes he won't find a better landing spot than here in Seattle. Play for one year and then look for his last big contract. That said, no receiver is likely to post big numbers in Seattle. I just think he'll look to show he can still play.

Players eligible for contract extensions:

S Earl Thomas

CD Richard Sherman

LB KJ Wright

Interesting stuff going on here. They can renegotiate with Thomas and Sherman and talk extension. However, all three of these guys hit escalators in their contracts for the coming season. Sherman and Wright's contracts have automatically more than doubled due to the escalators. I think this is the toughest call for Schneider. I'm sure he doesn't want to bruise any egos here by focusing on one of the three.

Potential free agents to grab:

DE Brian Orakpo would fill in nicely at the LEO. I don't think any of the potential free agent WRs look appealing to me. My guess is they wait a few rounds and take one in the draft.

NFL Draft:

WR will be the talk, but I think they go offensive line or defensive line. That will change depending on who stays or gets cut.

For people that like to follow this closely I highly recommend reading Davis Hsu. He regularly posts on Twitter and at Field Gulls. You'll be hard pressed to find another fan that knows more about the Seahawks cap situation.

Another thought that will factor into the defensive line... Both Jesse Williams and Jordan Hill are potential guys in the rotation. We knew going into the draft last season that it was likely that none of the draft picks would see significant playing time. I don't see either of those two players being busted picks. I just don't think there wasn't room for them in the rotation. Hard to argue with the results.

Very nicely laid out and basically everything you've stated sounds right. Here are a few of my thoughts...

DBs:

Re-signing Earl Thomas needs to be priority number 1. The defense is designed around his unique ability to read the play and react with his speed. He will also get paid as the top FS in the league and he deserves every penny.

Re-signing Richard Sherman should be a must as well, however he might have priced himself out of our range. He actually graded out as top 5-6 but is looking for #1 money for sure. He will need to realize that scheme was part of his success and may need to take a slight discount to stay. I personally hope he does because I love the guy: I think he is a leader and an example of hard effort and studying that can make the rest of the CBs great. He'll be the reason we can rotate in and out CBs on the other side.

We can re-sign Browner (once eligible) or Thurmond if they come back for 1-year deals on the cheap due to their suspensions, but if not I feel great about Maxwell, Lane, and even Shead to fill the role. I think the FO has plans to take the Seahawk-prototype CBs late every year in each draft, and I'm more than fine with it since we keep grabbing great fits (we're now at 6 excellent examples over four years).

LBs:

I think you're correct that Wright is an RFA. Him, along with Wagner, Smith, and Irvin seem like a formidable group with speed and solid tackling fundamentals. As the years go by I think this is the group that will rotate the most with nobody getting big contracts. It's hard to do, but somewhere we need to be thrifty and this is a place where the draft and UDFAs will fill in. Having said that, I can see us retaining Wagner with a contract.

D-line:

While I think Tony McDaniels and Clinton McDonald were huge in the past season it's worth remembering we have Jordan Hill and Jesse Williams so they will need to come back on team friendly terms. This seems like a space where we need to keep it reasonably cheap because we need to find a way to re-sign Michael Bennett. He wants to stay and I know he's earned it. He wants top player money and I think $8.5 MM a year does the trick.

I agree both Clemons and Bryant will need to take pay cuts. They are part timers and we simply can't pay them as much as they are making to play essentially one position. It's too bad we can't afford them as Bryant has been a team captain and Clemons looked great toward the end of the season--remember his ACL was torn just over a year ago.

Also, although a project I really thought Benson Mayowa showed promise.

O-line:

Here's where we will need major work in the off-season. This group never met expectations and part of the problem was the whiff on Carpenter. It appears we have two strong young players in Alvin Bailey and Michael Bowie who might excel given the additional off-season to prepare and learn. But Okung and Unger played like they were injured most of the season. McQuistan filled in nicely but he is at or below replacement level. I think Giacomini walks unless he takes the league minimum to stay.

We need to draft here for G and RT.

WRs:

We will start with simply saying we have under our control Harvin, Baldwin, and Kearse (along with Lockette, Bryan Walters, and PSers Phil Bates and Arceto Clark) at team-accepted prices. Rice will need to re-negotiate his contract to stay and I don't think that will happen. I think Tate is going to be an alright price and we should re-sign him if possible.

TEs:

I love the work ethic and attitude Zach Miller brings, but I am so entirely pained to watch him sprint--he's lost two steps. He's a fantastic inline blocker that has made up for our O-line struggles so it's difficult to see him go but I'm pretty sure this will happen. I would like to see Anthony McCoy come back on a minimum deal but I'm not sure if that will happen. Ideally we draft ASJ at the end of the 1st and let Miller walk.

RBs:

Nothing major to report here--we expect Lynch around for at least the next year but even his 2015 salary ($5.5 MM) is reasonable. The big issue is his legal issues and that he's at 1,000+ carries in the past three years. At some point, his physical style will catch up with him. I wonder if the team will re-sign Michael Robinson, but to do so would likely mean one of Spencer Ware or Derrick Coleman would need to go.

QBs:

Wilson has one more year before we need to renegotiate. We will pay him for certain because he is the face of the franchise and we can only hope it isn't a team-breaking contract. But no matter what we need to keep him. Jackson is one of the top backups in the league and I don't know if he'll get an opportunity somewhere to possibly push a struggling starter. BJ Daniels showed promise to be a competent backup to Wilson as well.

Coaching staff: I suspect all of our coaches will get a look next year given what happened in the Super Bowl. Bevell is likely gone and I think we might need to replace Dan Quinn as well. I don't see Cable leaving quite yet (I think the Raider stink is still on him a bit) but he may only have two more years as well before his name is called. And let's not forget that Carroll is due for a contract extension soon as well--maybe this off-season. As much as I would like to keep the band together I think it might be tough. But as long as we have Carroll and Schneider together I think we'll find success.

My thoughts for round one would be one of the following (in no particular order):

1) Kelvin Benjamin

2) Brandon Coleman

3) Cyril Richardson

4) Ra'Shede Hageman

My thoughts for round one would be one of the following (in no particular order):

1) Kelvin Benjamin

2) Brandon Coleman

3) Cyril Richardson

4) Ra'Shede Hageman
I want to add Austin Seferian-Jenkins here. I don't think if that would be a consideration but given the price of Zach Miller I think this is reasonable.

Another thought that will factor into the defensive line... Both Jesse Williams and Jordan Hill are potential guys in the rotation. We knew going into the draft last season that it was likely that none of the draft picks would see significant playing time. I don't see either of those two players being busted picks. I just don't think there wasn't room for them in the rotation. Hard to argue with the results.
Both were injured before/during the season. It's hard to break into a rotation if you're injured in pre-season.

Both were injured before/during the season. It's hard to break into a rotation if you're injured in pre-season.
Add humble thug to that list. I think we clearly let browner go and don't resign Thurmond.

DL Michael Bennett- I would sign like to see a "prove it contract" IIRC he didn't have a lot of interest from other teams last year, and I am wary this season was a fluke.

WR Golden Tate - I appreciate the hometown discount, but his agent will talk him out of it. He won't be worth the price, for what he brings to the table.

CB Walter Thurmond- I think we low ball him because he's one suspension away from a long vacation, but he will leave to be a starter and get starter money.

CB Brandon Browner- Unable to play next season due to suspension, I think his career may be over.

K Steven Hauschka- The guy was money and I would like to see him re-signed.

DT Clinton McDonald- Hope we can get him signed with a cap friendly contract.

DT Tony McDaniel- Hope we can get him signed with a cap friendly contract

QB Tavaris Jackson- I don't know much about B.J. Daniels so really depends on that situation, and what TJ is willing to settle for to stay.

OG Paul Mcquistan- Re-sign on the cheap, or let him go.

OT Breno Giacomini- I think he has come a long way and continues to get better. I would be willing to do whatever it takes to keep him.

TE Anthony McCoy- Coming off of an injury, we should be able to keep him on the cheap.

S CHris Maragos - Good on special teams and that's about it, if he finds a better deal let him walk.

TE Kellen Davis- Good blocker, keep him on a vet minimum contract.

OC Lemuel Jeanpierre- If Unger is going to stay at center, let him walk. Unger was drafted as a guard, and excelled at the position.

LB O'Brien Schofield- I would pay him what he's worth based on playing time. I think he's good but doesn't get a lot of snaps.

?? FB Michael Robinson ?? -unsure of his status- He signed a one year deal. I think it's time for him to ride off into the sunset. Coleman is our FB and can provide depth.

Restricted Free Agents:

WR Doug Baldwin - I think he is very underrated and we should get a deal done. I would rather have him than Tate if we had to make a choice between the two.

S Jeron Johnson- He can walk.

LB Mike Morgan- He can walk.

Potential cap casualties:

WR Sidney Rice ($7.3 million in savings in cap space)- I appreciate what he brings to the table when he plays, but his knees are shot and he's overpaid. He will be cut for sure.

DE Chris Clemons ($7.5 million in savings in cap space)- Age has caught up with him, he will be cut.

DE Red Bryant ($5.5 million in savings in cap space)- We have depth, he will be cut.

TE Zach Miller ($5.0 million in savings in cap space)- What most fans don't realize is that Miller has basically been playing tackle the last two seasons. I would keep him until we get our O-line issues resolved.

Do what it takes to get Thomas re-signed. He is the best safety in football, and I think without him and Kam our CB's flaws would be exploited. We're not going to be able to afford Sherman, and trust me he's going to go for the money. Again, with our safety's we can afford to play someone else at CB for a lower price.

Draft- Need to find some solid O-line players, and perhaps another TE. Going to need to draft a CB, D-Line and some WR's to shore up the depth.

I would pass on Austin S.F. Sure, he's local and that feels good and all, but having watched him play I don't buy into his athleticism. I think he plays too stiff. Just not fluid when I watch.

I would be for resigning Baldwin at the expense of Tate.

I hear you on Hill, but I'm not sure I buy injured as in "really injured" for Williams. I think it was just convenient for the team to put Williams on injured reserve for the season to give his knee a whole year to heal. Not sure on Hill's status late in the year, but they certainly didn't need him to hurry back.

I hear you on Hill, but I'm not sure I buy injured as in "really injured" for Williams. I think it was just convenient for the team to put Williams on injured reserve for the season to give his knee a whole year to heal. Not sure on Hill's status late in the year, but they certainly didn't need him to hurry back.
I agree on Williams. I think he was a convenient IR for this year and he'll have competition for 2014, but I also think if healthy he has the ability to be in the rotation. Same with Hill, and the team certainly felt good enough about him to keep him on the roster, even if he was a gameday inactive.

Overall, the D-line is in better shape than I think people give it credit for given the number of FAs or potential salary cap casualties. Besides, we aren't taking into account the number of players in FA that will be looking for one year prove-it deals a la Bennett. It is entirely possible this defensive scheme keeps replenishing talent from the scrap heap with players looking to play in a system they can excel in.

Bringing Bennett back seems like it should be a priority, Hauschka also seems like a guy to want back but there are always good kickers out there. Having the McDs would be nice also, at least one of them. #1 priority is inking Earl Thomas to a long-term deal though, he is the center of of that defensive universe and even though he gets a good amount of ink, I think he's generally overshadowed by Sherman and Chancellor. I think he's the most valuable player on D. Pay him, make sure he's in a Seahawks uniform during all of his prime years.

I disagree that we are set at RB, Turbin looks like he regressed and we just don't know enough about Michael. Since the offense goes through Lynch, I think you have to make sure you have the right depth here so grabbing another RB later in the draft seems logical.

I think TE not WR should be the main focus in FA among skill position players, Miller is a nice #2 but bringing in a bigger downfield threat for Wilson here really opens up the offense. The WRs with Baldwin, Kearse, and Harvin as the base seems better than most think and giving Baldwin an extension as your long-term possession receiver is a god idea. Drafting a TE or WR fairly early is advisable, although I think taking something on either line in the first round is the best move. You can never have too many good D-Line or O-line guys.

Backup QBs are a dime a dozen, plenty of quality options out there.

I don't know if Thomas should be the first one signed over Sherman. Thomas had made WAY more money than Sherman up to this point, and it would make sense to get Sherman paid before him. Thomas is scheduled to make about 9x more than Sherman is in 2014 already.

If worst came to worst, franchising a FS would also cost a lot less than a CB.

I disagree that we are set at RB, Turbin looks like he regressed and we just don't know enough about Michael. Since the offense goes through Lynch, I think you have to make sure you have the right depth here so grabbing another RB later in the draft seems logical.
This is one of those situations where I don't think we can know - but I do think that PCJS can know. They've seen him practice every day for a season. They know what they have. I think we'll know their opinion of it by their treatment of RB in the draft/FA.

I don't know if Thomas should be the first one signed over Sherman. Thomas had made WAY more money than Sherman up to this point, and it would make sense to get Sherman paid before him. Thomas is scheduled to make about 9x more than Sherman is in 2014 already.

Resigning Thomas could provide some cap relief this season that won't exist with Sherman.

Thomas is slated to make a shade under $5.5 million after an escalator kicked in for next season. The team could conceivably drop that cap number as long as whatever bonus money they shell out doesn't average more than $5 million per year over the life of the contract. Even if the cap number for Thomas goes up it will be fairly minor by comparison.

Sherman's cap number will be about $1.3 million after his most recent escalator kicked in. A new contract for Sherman will be guaranteed to jump his cap number well above $1.3 million.

Last edited by a moderator:

Resigning Thomas could provide some cap relief this season that won't exist with Sherman.

Thomas is slated to make a shade under $5.5 million after an escalator kicked in for next season. The team could conceivably drop that cap number as long as whatever bonus money they shell out doesn't average more than $5 million per year over the life of the contract. Even if the cap number for Thomas goes up it will be fairly minor by comparison.

Sherman's cap number will be about $1.3 million after his most recent escalator kicked in. A new contract for Sherman will be guaranteed to jump his cap number well above $1.3 million.
Doesn't a lower cap number for next year also mean a higher cap number for years following it? Why would we want Thomas to have an astronomical cap number on years we'll need to sign Wilson, Wagner, etc?

Also, I thought Sherman's escalators raised his cap number to 1.3 for last year and not this upcoming one?

It would be pretty sweet to be able to sit in on some of these meetings where the front office talks about what they plan to do to stay under the cap for the next 2-3 years.

1) Kelvin Benjamin

2) Brandon Coleman

3) Cyril Richardson

4) Ra'Shede Hageman
Coleman? In round 1?
Yup. I know it seems a reach based on current drat projections but I'm anticipating a good combine, and also have a hunch the hawks like him. I do as well.
It's a reach based on the fact that he's a tall guy who isn't a good WR.

WR Golden Tate - I appreciate the hometown discount, but his agent will talk him out of it. He won't be worth the price, for what he brings to the table.
I would be for resigning Baldwin at the expense of Tate.

Echoing these sentiments. I would be all for keeping Tate, but there are too many other important pieces this season and/or next (Bennet, Thomas, Sherman, and Wilson). I think he will become the first Carroll drafted casualty cap guy of note.

I also agree with those who think Thomas should be the priority to re-sign. We can alleviate some short term cap money and lock up the best free safety in the league for another 3-4 years. Sherman will get his big pay day; but it just doesn't make much sense to do it this year until Sherman and Bennet are taken care of. Sherman becomes a bit of a victim oh being drafted in the 5th, but he becomes priority 1b next year after Wilson.

Doesn't a lower cap number for next year also mean a higher cap number for years following it? Why would we want Thomas to have an astronomical cap number on years we'll need to sign Wilson, Wagner, etc?
This is the way all NFL contracts are constructed. How often does any NFL player see the final years of their contract? NFL players know they're getting paid up front in bonus money. The years and dollar amounts are meaningless for all involved except the media and the fans.

Also, I thought Sherman's escalators raised his cap number to 1.3 for last year and not this upcoming one?
According to Davis Hsu at Fieldgulls: LINK

Richard Sherman recently achieved an incentive in his contract (not sure if it was for total snaps or being named to the Pro Bowl) that raised his 2014 base salary from $645k to $1.389M.

1) Kelvin Benjamin

2) Brandon Coleman

3) Cyril Richardson

4) Ra'Shede Hageman
Coleman? In round 1?
This has been the reaction to the Hawks' 1st round draft picks lately
They've been considered reaches, but still players with talent. Coleman would be lucky to crack most people's top-12 at WR this year, and that's even at 6'6".

Why do I not see Seattle taking a WR in round 1? Just seems like a big longshot to me.

edit.............then again, I suppose you guys don't really have any "needs".

1) Kelvin Benjamin

2) Brandon Coleman

3) Cyril Richardson

4) Ra'Shede Hageman
Coleman? In round 1?
They've been considers reaches, but still players with talent.

Coleman would be lucky to crack most people's top-12 at WR this year, and that's even at 6'6".
"most people"? experts like EBF ( :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: )? You? Bleacher report? The three hundred mock drafters that CBS apparently employs? McShay and Kiper?

1) Kelvin Benjamin

2) Brandon Coleman

3) Cyril Richardson

4) Ra'Shede Hageman
Coleman? In round 1?
They've been considers reaches, but still players with talent.

Coleman would be lucky to crack most people's top-12 at WR this year, and that's even at 6'6".
"most people"? experts like EBF ( :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: )? You? Bleacher report? The three hundred mock drafters that CBS apparently employs? McShay and Kiper?
Anybody with a passing interest in the draft, who watches college football.

Do you have an argument for Coleman not sucking that you'd like to put forth? Or are you trying to make some larger point and using my unrelated argument as a jumping-off point? Because if that's the case, I'm not interested.

One argument I saw that makes a lot of sense is how there seems to be a lot of star power from the WR position in the late 1st-2nd round. It is one of the positions where Seattle has a good shot at striking gold at the 32 mark, especially when you consider all the talent there this year.

1) Kelvin Benjamin

2) Brandon Coleman

3) Cyril Richardson

4) Ra'Shede Hageman
Coleman? In round 1?
They've been considered reaches, but still players with talent.Coleman would be lucky to crack most people's top-12 at WR this year, and that's even at 6'6".
Someone that researches the draft a lot closer than you or I is mocking Coleman to the Hawks.

http://seahawksdraftblog.com/focus-on-what-a-player-can-become-not-what-he-is-right-now

Here are some highlights, he certainly looks the part of a 1st rounder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zhPTLZ3Tdc

Lots of players look like 1st rounders in a highlight reel. That's why NFL teams don't just watch the best film from a prospect.

1) Kelvin Benjamin

2) Brandon Coleman

3) Cyril Richardson

4) Ra'Shede Hageman
Coleman? In round 1?
They've been considered reaches, but still players with talent. Coleman would be lucky to crack most people's top-12 at WR this year, and that's even at 6'6".
Just one of the few possibilities I see. Fwiw I got Christine Michael correct, and Russell Wilson correct.

I don't see us doing anything in the draft except go BPA. I don't see why we would need to draft for need at all--just go with the board they put together and let the competition play out.

I'm a little curious about the defensive players hitting FA with down years and need a one year "prove it" deal within our system.

ConnSKINS26 said:
Lots of players look like 1st rounders in a highlight reel. That's why NFL teams don't just watch the best film from a prospect.
Not true at all
I have to agree with Conn here. There's more to a prospect than clips of their best plays. Things like character and potential for their body to get bigger around their frame don't always show up on clips.

Besides that, I have serious doubts Seattle chases an early round WR. There are several that will be available in rounds 3 through 5 with some size that they covet.

ConnSKINS26 said:
Not true at all
I have to agree with Conn here. There's more to a prospect than clips of their best plays. Things like character and potential for their body to get bigger around their frame don't always show up on clips.

Besides that, I have serious doubts Seattle chases an early round WR. There are several that will be available in rounds 3 through 5 with some size that they covet.
It was a joke, of course front office teams don't just look at highlight tapes.

What do you think Seattle will look for in the 1st?

What do you think Seattle will look for in the 1st?
I think it will depend on what happens with the defensive line between now and then. Who's getting cut? Who's getting signed? That said, I think they take the best player available. They are deep enough on this team for this concept to apply. Remember last year when we were talking about none of the draft picks contributing? Same could be true this year as well. Realistically they might be drafting a player with the idea that he contributes in 2015 much like Christine Michael or Jordan Hill (if at all).

I've heard several talking heads on TV use the same line a few times with regard to Pete Carroll. Wondering how true it is.

"Pete wants to win getting off the bus"

its a reference to the idea that he looks for physical attributes in terms of intimidating size/speed combinations. I'm not sure if I buy this. Don't all coaches want this? Does it somehow apply more to Carroll more than it does every other coach?

I've heard several talking heads on TV use the same line a few times with regard to Pete Carroll. Wondering how true it is.

"Pete wants to win getting off the bus"

its a reference to the idea that he looks for physical attributes in terms of intimidating size/speed combinations. I'm not sure if I buy this. Don't all coaches want this? Does it somehow apply more to Carroll more than it does every other coach?
I've heard that a lot and I think it is just emphasized at the difference between PCJS and when Ruskell was GM. For years Seattle was the undersized team on the field, and then once Carroll and Schneider came onto the team, size/speed was an emphasis.

Noticing the intense media pull on the team recently. Wonder how long that's going to take before it eases off. Guys on Kimmel last night. Different guys on NFL AM every day this week. Throw in the extra commercials several will be filming and its going to add up.

Haven't been able to keep up on local papers / talk radio so this thread has been a source of good info.

Saw Bennett is going for top dollar. Cap experts out there, is there anyway he can stay now?

Cap experts out there, is there anyway he can stay now?
I'm no cap expert, but I'd say there is a possibility. It depends on a multitude of factors in dominos falling including who the Hawks sign/extend first and the market demand for DEs this year. My guess is the Hawks extend Earl Thomas and then go from there. The primary reason the Hawks got Bennet on the cheap last year was because the DE market demand was 'surprisingly' low.

The whole hometown discount proclamation thing is almost completely irrelevant IMHO. If a team is going to overpay for either Bennett or Tate, that team is going to get them. If Seattle is amongst teams offering similar deals, then Seattle probably has an advantage.

Cap experts out there, is there anyway he can stay now?
I'm no cap expert, but I'd say there is a possibility. It depends on a multitude of factors in dominos falling including who the Hawks sign/extend first and the market demand for DEs this year. My guess is the Hawks extend Earl Thomas and then go from there. The primary reason the Hawks got Bennet on the cheap last year was because the DE market demand was 'surprisingly' low.

The whole hometown discount proclamation thing is almost completely irrelevant IMHO. If a team is going to overpay for either Bennett or Tate, that team is going to get them. If Seattle is amongst teams offering similar deals, then Seattle probably has an advantage.
It would be nice to keep Bennett for sure, I was just assuming that he would be someone who played their way out of town via contract Seattle wouldn't want to match. Managing that cap around keeping Thomas, Sherman and of course Wilson is the key. Schneider is the man at this stuff, it's so nice having confidence in the front office to get stuff done in the right way.

Is Matthews the next big find for Seattle?

But Matthews could be one of those seemingly out-of-nowhere finds by Seattle GM John Schneider that ends up blossoming into a quality NFL player.

At 6-5, 225, Matthews has the size the Seahawks are looking for to add to its receiving corps. Matthews played the last two seasons with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, where he was the CFL Rookie of the Year in 2012.

Matthews caught 81 passes that season for 1,192 yards and seven touchdowns, but he spent most of the 2013 season with nagging injuries and didn’t play much.

Matthews, 24, is from Long Beach, Calif. and spent two seasons and Los Angeles Harbor Junior College before playing his final two college years at Kentucky. He caught 93 passes for 1,279 yards and 12 TDs for the Wildcats against the tough SEC competition.

Matthews isn’t the fastest guy around, but he’s known for making the tough catch in traffic and playing physical.

If Rice is released as expected, it will free up more than $7 million in salary cap space for the Seahawks.

Seattle is likely to draft a big receiver sometime in the first two or three rounds of the May NFL draft, but Matthews could become the next surprising find by the Seahawks staff.

Wide receiver Chris Matthews will get a guaranteed $10K bonus on his futures contract with the Seahawks, according to Brian McIntyre (via Twitter). Matthews is one of just a few futures signees to see guaranteed money on their deal.

Looks like Sidney Rice will be released shortly (or by some news already has been released). Do you think the Seahawks have enough faith in Kearse as a replacement, or do we get someone in FA or through the draft to fill his role? On a happier note, this makes me believe Tate will be re-signed as Rice's departure certainly opens up a lot of extra cash.

Users who are viewing this thread