What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2014 St. Louis Rams Thread *** (1 Viewer)

Bob Magaw

Footballguy
WIth the start of the official league calender and the 2014 free agency period just days away, time for a 2014 thread.

With the Rams first big move in the offseason, they announced they will be releasing Cortland Finnegan (not unexpectedly).

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/05/cortland-finnegan-says-his-goodbye-to-st-louis/

Cortland Finnegan says his goodbye to St. Louis

Posted by Darin Gantt on March 5, 2014, 3:31 PM EST

"When coach Jeff Fisher took over the Rams, bringing in Cortland Finnegan was an obvious hire, to add the kind of toughness he thought the Rams needed.

With his recent play and his salary, getting rid of him was just as obvious.

Finnegan just tweeted out what appears to be his goodbye to the Rams, saying thank you for your letting me play for a classy franchise and coach fish nothing but love thank you all.

Finnegan had a $3 million roster bonus coming due next week, and was going to count $10 million against the cap. That would have been fine if he hadnt played so poorly last season.

As much as he likes Fisher and Fisher might like him, that made this one a bit of a no-brainer."

Rams contingent at the Tuesday and Wednesday pro days for Greg Robinson and Jake Matthews, respectively, Sammy Watkins is Thursday. It is very possible their first pick in the 2014 draft is one of these three players.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000331038/article/rams-show-interest-in-jake-matthews-greg-robinson-at-pro-days

Last edited by a moderator:
I tell you what, two picks in the Top 13 is nice, should really be able to help this team.

Rd 1, Pick 2 (2)

Rd 1, Pick 13 (13)

Rd 2, Pick 12 (44)

Rd 3, Pick 11 (75)

Rd 4, Pick 10 (106)

Rd 5, Pick 13 (141)

Rd 6, Pick 12 (172)

Rd 7, Pick 11 (203)

2014 Opponents---

Home - Arizona, San Francisco, Seattle, Dallas, NY Giants, Denver, Oakland, Minnesota

Away - Arizona, San Francisco, Seattle, Philadelphia, Washington, Kansas City, San Diego,Tampa Bay

They could also add day two picks with a trade down or two from the first rounder/s, and are also expected to add a few compensatory picks. Likely in the late rounds, but that could give them the flexibility to move up with their own picks (since compensatory picks can't be traded), like they did last year to snare Stacy.

A bit out of the box thinking on this mock, but I am very curious to hear your takes on this...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24471102/nfl-mock-draft-rams-make-bold-play-for-wrol-combo
Too much of a gamble at such an important position (LT).

What would they need to pay to move up anyway?
It might only cost about a third?

It would be more palatable if they trade down from the 1.2 first, but if they go to 1.6, Watkins likely gone.

Getting Robinson or Matthews and Watkins was always my ideal, but that will realistically be hard to pull off.

If they can trade down, add the ATL second (for starters) and get one of the LTs, than I hope they take HCD at 1.13.

They could trade DOWN from 1.13, too, but starting to think he could be a real missing piece of the puzzle-type player on that defense, and not worth risking losing (no need to get greedy if they already traded down once). He isn't Earl Thomas, but could play that kind of role.

They would than also have two of the top 12 picks in round two (also ATLs).

One of my favorite guard/OTs is XSF from UCLA, he usually doesn't make it to the STL second round pick, but might to ATLs. A higher priority, if they get HCD and not Dennard or Gilbert with the 1.13, might be a CB if one falls in the second. Probably available at their pick is a FS/nickel CB I like a lot (no idea if STL does?), Lamarcus Joyner.

In the third or fourth, STL could look at important depth, maybe players like RB Tre Mason (he could go in the second) and QB Aaron Murray.

Another interesting guard/OT is Clemson's Brandon Thomas, who could go anywhere from the second to fourth round.

Christian Jones is a versatile LB that has about a second to third round grade, but not sure how much they prioritize LB, it will probably depend on whether they re-sign Dunbar, who did play for new DC Williams in NO. Van Noy another possibility, expected to go in the top half of round two.

The Rams lost or are expected to lose two OL that split time at LG, Chris Williams (signed BUF?) and Shelley Smith.

No free agents of note STL was linked with were signed, DBs Byrd and Verner, or guards Asomoah and Schwartz.

Byrd was pricey (about $9 mil. per year), Verner not as much, no idea if Verner ever was interested in the Rams, despite the Fisher/Williams dot connecting.

They certainly weren't going to be signing BOTH DBs, and they can get HCD or Dennard if 1.13 if they want to. I think they are both very good players. Depending on what they do with the 1.2, with a trade down or not, Zach Martin could be in play there, and Donald could be the BPA at that spot.

Guards Williams and Smith were scrap heap type players, and can be replaced the same way.

Guard Davin Joseph is visiting. Bad year last season, but returning from 2012 knee injury, he is 30 and 2 X Pro Bowler, last as recently as 2011, season before his knee injury, so he could have something left in the tank.

The consensus seems to be Saffold got a lot of money and was a questionable signing, so not sweating that.

I already thought they were leaning towards LT early. Perhaps Saffold leaving increases the chance of taking one early, but I think they could still take Clowney or Watkins if they want to.

From the Twilight Zone files.

Saffold failed his physical with OAK and has agreed to terms on a five year deal - with STL.

Great signing, I thought it was virtually inevitable he was gone, but was still disappointed to develop a player to the point he could play guard at a high level, only to get nothing for him. If they add Robinson or Matthews in the draft, OL could be a strength for the first time in a long time.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/12/report-rodger-saffold-returns-to-rams-after-failing-physical-with-raiders/

State of the STL OL and possible draft implications

At times some Rams fans have talked about an aging, breaking down OL with Long, Wells and Dahl starting last year. Below is a look at what it could look like in 2014-2105, with the unexpected return of Saffold, two of the first 13 picks (and three of the first 44) and reserve Barrett Jones possibly able to start at center in the near future.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Long (28, three years left on contract) - ? - Wells (33) - Saffold (25, five year contract) - Barksdale (26, signed through 2014)

Key reserve - Jones (23)

Draft - Robinson (21), Matthews (22), Martin (23), XSF (23)

Hypothetically, if they draft Robinson or Matthews and insert them at LG initially, and Jones takes over for Wells in 2015, the average age of the OL would be:

29 + 23 + 24 + 26 + 27 = 129/5 = 25.8 average age

There are some ifs here, working from left to right: can Long hold up, do they draft one of the top LTs, will Jones be ready (or do they keep Wells another year) and does Barksdale get re-signed?

But nothing too far fetched in itself, maybe the combo off all of them won't hit.

Does Saffold's prodigal son return take getting an OL like XSF off the table with the second round pick (or even if we add a second), IF we add Robinson or Matthews?

If the starting lineup is the above with Robinson or Matthews inserted in place of the question mark, than do you take a player like XSF to maybe sit on the bench for a few years, with other holes in the secondary? Maybe not, unless they are prepared to move on from Long in 2015 (Fisher obviously likes vets, but if he doesn't return to form or breaks down, he may have no choice). Than Robinson or Matthews would slide over to LT, and XSF could be inserted at LG (that would make the average age under 25, amazing how STL could go from "aging and breaking down" to under 25 in one year! :) The other possibility, per the above, is Martin or XSF could be taken later, if for instance they draft Clowney or Watkins.

Some have assumed the Rams would need to draft an OT and guard with two of the first three or four picks, but maybe one will suffice with Saffold back in the fold? STL could still add depth inside and outside later, on day three.

Some have assumed we would need to draft an OT and guard with two of the first three or four picks, but maybe one will suffice with Saffold back in the fold? We could still add depth inside and outside later, on day three.
What's the plan at center with Wells?

Some have assumed we would need to draft an OT and guard with two of the first three or four picks, but maybe one will suffice with Saffold back in the fold? We could still add depth inside and outside later, on day three.
What's the plan at center with Wells?
He is under contract and the incumbent starter.There was speculation earlier they could cut both Dahl and Wells (I thought they would probably keep one to preserve continuity, and Wells more likely). They already cut Dahl, but Wells appears to be in the plans for at least one more season.

I don't know why, but the Rams fascinate me this year. For whatever reason everything just seems to be falling their way.

As of now, with the Saffold deal done, I think they may go Watkins if clowney is gone and grab lewan at 12.

I don't know why, but the Rams fascinate me this year. For whatever reason everything just seems to be falling their way.

As of now, with the Saffold deal done, I think they may go Watkins if clowney is gone and grab lewan at 12.
Getting DC Williams and guard Saffold back under such unusual circumstances makes me wonder if this will be a charmed season.

Watkins is certainly a possibility, but Jake Long's contract is structured in such a way that they can walk away in 2015 without too much of a hit, and RT Barksdale isn't signed beyond this year. I think they may have been leaning to Robinson or Matthews, if so, not sure this will change their strategy. They also may want to trade down, say to 1.6 if they have the opportunity, and take Robinson, Matthews or Watkins. Watkins could go 1.4 to CLE, and now OAK may want a LT (though I heard Saffold was going to play guard and Watson LT, so not sure about that). As long as JAX didn't take an OT or Watkins (which could cause CLE to shift to LT or OAK to WR), at least one of the three should make it to them, with HOU projected to take Bortles and ATL Clowney in this scenario. JAX just took LT Joeckel in 2013, though Robinson and Matthews could play RT (Matthews did opposite Joeckel at Texas A&M), so Watkins probably the better risk. If the Rams trade the pick to a team looking for a QB, or just take Robinson, I think JAX would take Clowney. If ATL trades up for him, maybe they would take another defensive player like Mack. Kind of high for a LB, but DEN took Miller very high just a few years ago.

Actually, JAX, CLE and OAK could all be candidates to trade down, too (though Soulfly thinks CLE will take Watkins or a LT). If so, that would be better for STL if teams are moving up for a QB and not LT or WR.

IF the Rams opt for a LT and don't want to risk losing their choice, it won't surprise me if they just pick at 1.2. The trade down option is speculative, anyways, who knows if ATL is that enamored with Clowney to make such a move. It would be tempting for STL, though, if the opportunity is there, since likely Matthews would be there if not Robinson (increasingly I'm hearing buzz that Robinson is going to be the second highest graded prospect on some team's boards after Clowney). The thought of adding 1-2 day two picks in maybe one of the deepest drafts in the past decade or two is appealing.

LB Jo-Lonn Dunbar re-signed today for 2 years/$3.5 mil., perhaps not a big surprise as he played under new DC Williams in NO. This could decrease the chance they take a LB, if they do at all, before day three.

Backup QB Kellen Clemens has signed with SD. I thought before it was highly likely they draft one (Aaron Murray developmental-type good enough to spot start if pressed into action), this could only increase the chance. They may look at adding another vet, to complement a prospective rookie.

Cortland Finnegan signed with MIA for a two year deal.

That is important because STL gets up to $3 mil. of cap relief for whatever another team pays him this year. Based on the amount I heard (up to $11 mil. total but not sure, can't confirm at this time), sounds like they will get the max cap relief.

STL added three compensatory picks, a sixth and two sevenths.

They now have 12 picks: two firsts, one each in the second through fifth, two sixths and four sevenths.

The awarded picks can't be traded, but give flexibility to trade the other picks in those rounds to maneuver in the draft.

STL signed DL Alex Carrington, details TBA.

He has good size for a DE and could move inside in third down passing situations, and be part of a rotation inside or outside.

Reportedly PIT and CLE were among the interested teams.

Also a few minor signings, a small CB with return skills coming off two ACL injuries, and a nondescript LB.

What about the indication that supposedly Britt has a 50/50 chance of signing with the Rams?

It is buzzkill . . .

for the Rams.

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/7040/rams-add-solid-dt-depth-in-carrington

Rams add solid DT depth in Carrington
By Nick Wagoner

"The St. Louis Rams finally dipped their toes into the free-agent waters Tuesday afternoon, coming to terms on a one-year deal with Buffalo defensive lineman Alex Carrington.

Unlike the recent additions of cornerback Greg Reid and linebacker Etienne Sabino, Carrington is the first player the Rams have added in free agency who has played in the NFL for a different organization. He's also a sound, logical pickup for a team that has clearly coveted more depth on the interior of the defensive line.

The Rams showed early interest in Carrington, Henry Melton and Antonio Smith, even going so far as hosting the latter two on visits. When Melton chose Dallas and Smith opted for Oakland, the Rams concentrated their search for help behind starters Michael Brockers and Kendall Langford on Carrington.

Based on all that movement, the Rams clearly viewed additional help on the interior rotation as one of free agency's main priorities. And rightfully so. Backup defensive tackles Jermelle Cudjo and Matt Conrath didn't provide much help behind the starters in 2013. Cudjo had a strong enough 2012 to earn a contract extension last offseason but followed with 11 tackles and not much else in his 209 snaps in 13 games in 2013. Conrath got opportunities to contribute last year as well, playing eight games and 129 snaps with seven tackles and a sack.

Defensive ends William Hayes and Eugene Sims were actually better options behind the starters when they moved inside but that left Robert Quinn and Chris Long taking on larger than expected workloads every week. Adding another piece to the middle should allow more breathers for Long and Quinn.

In Carrington, the Rams are getting just the type of versatile piece that defensive line coach Mike Waufle likes to groom. At 6-foot-5, 301 pounds, Carrington has lined up all over the line in his four years in Buffalo, though playing end in a 3-4 alignment has been his most consistent spot. That spot is common in terms of translation to defensive tackle in a 4-3 front and, in fact, is the same move Langford made with the Rams after coming over from Miami.

Originally a third-round draft pick out of Arkansas State, Carrington played 44 games in four seasons with the Bills. He posted 52 tackles, four sacks and a forced fumble in that time.

The Rams have been patient in free agency and are the last team to sign an outside free agent. And while this one may not make much of a splash on the surface, it looks the part of another under-the-radar defensive line move the Rams have made under coach Jeff Fisher and general manager Les Snead (the Hayes signing). Hayes was a fifth-round pick without much on his résumé when he departed Tennessee and has blossomed under the guidance of the well-respected Waufle.

Carrington actually has even less tangible production than Hayes did when he came to St. Louis but it wouldn't be much of a surprise if Waufle and a talented and competitive defensive line group has a similar effect on Carrington."

Backup QB Shaun Hill signs a one year deal, which should be an upgrade over Kellen Clemens (now in SD).

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/7071/rams-finally-get-their-man-in-qb-hill

Rams finally get their man in QB Hill
By Nick Wagoner

Two years after they first pursued him, the St. Louis Rams finally landed veteran quarterback Shaun Hill on Wednesday as he agreed to terms on a one-year deal as first reported by ESPN Insider Adam Caplan.

Hill visited with the Rams more than a week ago and departed St. Louis without coming to terms on a contract as he apparently spent time considering a return to Detroit. He went through a similar decision-making process in 2012 when the Rams attempted to sign him away from the Lions before he ultimately re-signed in the Motor City.

This time, the allure of St. Louis was apparently too much for Hill to ignore. Hill keeps a home at the Lake of the Ozarks and is also close with Rams quarterbacks coach Frank Cignetti after they worked together in San Francisco.

In landing Hill, the Rams get the veteran backup for starter Sam Bradford they wanted. Hill replaces Kellen Clemens, who signed with San Diego early in free agency.

The 34-year old Hill originally entered the league as an undrafted free agent with Minnesota in 2002 but didn't get the chance to throw a pass in a regular season game until 2007 with the 49ers.

For his career, Hill has played in 34 games with 26 starts, throwing for 6,381 yards, 41 touchdowns and 23 interceptions while completing almost 62 percent of his passes for a passer rating of 85.9. Coincidentally, some of Hill's best games have come against the Rams. He's started four games against St. Louis, all victories, and posted a passer rating better than 100 in three of those contests.

While Hill doesn't come to St. Louis with the same knowledge of coordinator Brian Schottenheimer's offense that Clemens had, he does represent a clear upgrade in talent and demonstrated production throughout the course of his career. Considering his ties to Cignetti, Hill should be able to get up to speed quickly and offer a solid alternative behind Bradford.

And though Hill is likely to handle the No. 2 duties in 2014, this probably won't preclude the Rams from using one of their 12 picks in May's draft on a quarterback. The Rams have maintained throughout the offseason that they'd like to add a young quarterback capable of growing into a top backup role behind Bradford. Having Hill for a season would allow whoever that rookie is to come in and learn for a season before having to jump into action should something happen to Bradford.

Likewise, Hill provides early-season insurance in case something goes wrong with Bradford's recovery from ACL surgery.

Much like the team's Tuesday addition of defensive lineman Alex Carrington, Hill is a solid, logical addition who isn't going to break the bank. The Rams have remained patient in free agency and though the approach has kept them from filling some of their major holes, it's starting to pay off in the form of solid depth at positions of need.

Rotoworld:

NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah reports QB Derek Carr has five team workouts scheduled.
Those five teams include the Titans, Browns, Raiders, Vikings and the Rams. The last team listed is an interesting one, along with the Browns, since both teams have tow first-round picks in may's draft. Jeremiah believes four quarterbacks will be selected in the first-round, with Carr being one of them.

Source: NFL.com

Fisher sounds as if Rams will pass on Watkins

By Jim Thomas

ORLANDO, FLA. • Make no mistake, Rams coach Jeff Fisher likes Sammy Watkins, the gifted wide receiver from Clemson.

“He’s very, very explosive,” Fisher said. “I mean, he’s good with the ball. He’s good without the ball. He’s one of those guys that can pluck a ball at his ankles running full speed. He’s gonna be a very, very good pro.”

The question is: Does Fisher like Watkins enough to pluck him at No. 2 overall in the draft? It could be a smokescreen, but it doesn’t sound like it.

“I think with what we have on the roster right now, we can provide (quarterback) Sam (Bradford) with the talent to where we can win a lot of games,” Fisher said. “We’re expecting improvement. We’re still seeing improvement from (receivers), for example, Brian Quick, Chris Givens who are going into their third year.

“We expect significant improvement and more contribution from Tavon (Austin) and Stedman (Bailey). And I’m not disappointed in any way in what Austin Pettis has done in a backup role.”

The vibe all along from Rams Park this offseason has been that offensive line and the secondary are higher priorities than wide receiver. And Fisher’s comments seem to fit in with that premise.

The Rams have taken four receivers in the their two drafts under Fisher and general manager Les Snead, picking one in each of the first four rounds: Austin in the first (2013), Quick in the second (2012), Bailey in the third (2013), and Givens in the fourth (2012).

Perhaps the thinking is that that’s enough investment in one position over the short term, and that continued patience is needed. If you throw in Pettis, who was taken in the third round in 2011 during the Steve Spagnuolo-Billy Devaney regime, that’s five wideouts. And if the Rams end up signing Tennessee Titans wideout Kenny Britt, that’s six. The team might think it has enough at the position.

Then again, if the team passes on Watkins and he turns out to be the best wide receiver to come out in several years as some draftniks have proclaimed, the Rams might regret the decision.

Either way, there are plenty of options at No. 2 overall, and Fisher spoke freely about them at the NFC coaches breakfast Wednesday.

For starters, he didn’t dismiss the possibility of taking South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney at No. 2, even though the team is stacked at defensive end.

“I’ve learned over the years that you never have enough pass rushers,” Fisher said. “And I think not only us, but other teams that are in our situation, are creative enough to find ways to get (Clowney) on the field and put him in position to make plays.”

Fisher didn’t regard Clowney’s lack of sack production last season (three) as a red flag.

“Not if you watch the games, it’s not,” Fisher said. “Because the effort’s there. You’ve got to give offenses credit, too. I mean they were aware of where he was. They turned the center towards him. When the ball came out, they’d check out with backs just like we do in our league with good rushers.

“So no, you see a lot of other really big plays throughout the year. Consistent big plays, whether they’re chase plays down the field or plays against the run.”

The Rams certainly are taking a long look at the top three offensive tackles in the draft: Greg Robinson of Auburn, Jake Matthews of Texas A&M and Taylor Lewan of Michigan. Lewan is more likely under consideration at No. 13 overall — the second of the Rams’ two first-round picks — although he might not last to 13.

A lot of the media mock drafts have Robinson as the Rams’ pick at No. 2.

“He’s young. I believe he’s got tremendous upside,” Fisher said. “Probably has not taken as many snaps in a pro-style offense as Lewan, the Michigan tackle. But he’s very athletic and he has flexibility — he could move in, play guard or the other tackle as well. Probably gonna take him a little more time.”

But don’t forget about Matthews, the son of Hall of Fame offensive lineman Bruce Matthews — who once played for Fisher. Fisher thinks Jake is as competitive as his father and will be as durable and versatile in the pros.

But is Jake as athletic as his father?

“I’ll have to tell you after the private workout,” Fisher said. “Don’t know. I would assume so.”

Besides the upcoming private workout, the Rams held a formal, or “suite” interview with him last month at the NFL scouting combine. Both the private workout and suite visit are indicators of strong interest by a team in a player.

As for Lewan, Fisher said: “Very well-coached. Very consistent. Finishes plays. What you see on tape, that’s what everybody would look for — that type of tackle.”

Lewan currently has some legal issues — he faces an arraignment April 8 on three charges related to a fight outside an Ann Arbor, Mich., restaurant last Dec. 1.

“It certainly is gonna require that you do a little bit more background and research on him,” Fisher said.

Of course, when draft day rolls around, some of these options might be out of play if the team trades down from No. 2. So far it’s quiet on that front.

‘We’ve not really had any discussion with anybody,” Fisher said. “That doesn’t mean to say we won’t.”

Britt signs a one year deal. Snead and Fisher expressed confidence he would land in STL. Wagoner reports a $1.4 mil. base contract ($550,000 guaranteed) worth up to $2.9 mil. with incentives.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/122895/rams-taking-a-chance-on-kenny-britt

Rams taking a chance on Kenny Britt

By Nick Wagoner

Whenever Rams coach Jeff Fisher or general manager Les Snead have been asked about the potential to add help at wide receiver this offseason, both have reverted to the vote of confidence method, choosing to express their faith in the team's current crop of young receivers.

Apparently that confidence only goes so far, as ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter reported Monday evening that the Rams agreed to terms on a one-year deal with former Tennessee wide receiver Kenny Britt. According to Schefter, the deal with Britt is for one year and $1.4 million with $550,000 guaranteed and could be worth as much as $2.9 million with incentives.

In every sense of the word, the contract is a "prove it" deal which will give the perennially underachieving Britt a chance to establish himself and take another bite of the free-agent apple again next year. If there's any place where Britt can get his once promising career on track, St. Louis would seem to be it.

Kenny Britt

After a promising start to his career, Kenny Britt has struggled the past three seasons.

Britt entered the league as a first-round pick of Fisher's Titans in 2009 and had his two most productive seasons under Fisher as a rookie and in 2010. That familiarity almost certainly made the Rams appealing to Britt as he searched for a fresh start.

Beyond that, the Rams also offer Britt a world of opportunity for a bounce back on the field. The Rams' young receiving corps has yet to produce a consistent performer capable of being quarterback Sam Bradford's top target week in and week out. At 6-foot-3, 223 pounds, Britt has the size and has occasionally flashed the potential to become that player in the past.

There are also reasons why adding Britt doesn't make much sense, either.

Back in January, Snead made it clear that for the Rams to add help at receiver they'd want that player to be a clear upgrade over the players already in place so as not to take away much-needed reps from the youngsters.

"A guy like that always can help your team," Snead said. "Heres' what you've got to weigh: If you think this particular player is close and the only way to get from close to there is play, when you bring in ... he's not going to play as much. You're still waiting. I think what seals the deal, if the process works, all these guys get experience, they grow together and guess what, at the end of the year you have more than seven wins and if that's the case everybody goes OK it's worked out."

Whether or not Britt fits the bill as a clear upgrade is certainly up for debate. Since entering the league, he's had no shortage of off-field troubles, enough to earn him a one-game suspension in 2012. He's also had his share of injury troubles, tearing an ACL and MCL in 2011 and battling with persistent knee troubles the past few seasons.

Be it injury issues or off the field incidents, Britt's on-field production has taken a major hit since Fisher left Tennessee. In two years under Fisher, Britt had 84 catches for 1,476 yards and 12 touchdowns. In three seasons since, he's posted 73 grabs for 974 yards and seven touchdowns as drops and penalty issues became a factor.

By the end of the 2013 season, Britt's struggles earned him a place on the game day inactive list in three of the final four games.

Where Britt fits with the Rams remains to be seen but it seems like a pretty large leap to expect someone who has produced so little in recent years to come in and take over the No. 1 duties despite past flashes of potential.

In five years, Britt has never had more than 45 catches or 775 receiving yards in a season, numbers that hardly put him in the discussion of a proven wide receiver. In fact, those numbers actually fit in quite nicely with the rest of the Rams' current crop of receivers.

Fortunately for the Rams, Britt's not being compensated in a way that requires No. 1 type of production.

It's fair to wonder if Britt, who is only 25, can ever reach the potential he once flashed in Tennessee, and if his presence could be a negative for an impressionable group of young receivers. Of course, if anyone can get Britt's career back on track, it's probably Fisher.

Like the rest of the Rams' free-agent moves this offseason, adding Britt is a low-risk proposition. But it's also one that shouldn't come with the great expectations that Britt's career once carried.

I think Britt is a waste of cap/roster space, especially with the WRs they have on their team. Why displace reps for your young guys? It just delays their development. Austin/Bailey/Quick/other guy I forgot is a fine bunch of young WRs, and they don't get better by watching Kenny Britt. Best case IMO is Britt goes quietly into the WR5 spot so the existing WRs will start to really impress this season.

Will Britt make it to the final roster? Odds?
Yeah, he may not right? Cheap bonus. Austin/Givens/Bailey/Quick are automatic. Pettis was useful last year, it seems Fisher would want him back. Who is Veltung? He was promoted from the PS last season, but I know nothing about him. I know if you play in a certain min # of games you can't go back on the PS, but I don't know what that number is or if Veltung reached it.

Will Britt make it to the final roster? Odds?
Yeah, he may not right? Cheap bonus. Austin/Givens/Bailey/Quick are automatic. Pettis was useful last year, it seems Fisher would want him back. Who is Veltung? He was promoted from the PS last season, but I know nothing about him. I know if you play in a certain min # of games you can't go back on the PS, but I don't know what that number is or if Veltung reached it.
Yeah, if St. L also drafts a WR early then the odds only get more slim. It's a strange move IMO. I guess Fisher likes him and is willing to give him a last chance to turn his career around. Seems like a loooong shot to me.

McCourty (per below article) has been one of the better CBs in the league and I forgot he went to Rutgers with Britt.

Britt now represents the best combination of size and experience on the roster.

If he is damaged goods because of the knee, than that is a moot point.

The thing is, surgical and rehab technique are for more advanced than Gale Sayers in Brian's Song, a torn ACL isn't typically a death blow to an NFL career (especially in their early 20's). I have to admit I was puzzled by the steep, precipitous decline since 2011, but some people chalked it up to him maybe not being diligent in his rehab.

In 2012 he could still have been recovering, and he obviously fell out of favor in 2013, so maybe that is a red herring.

If he is right physically, he had a lot of talent. He had off field problems, but may have matured, I think Britt was one of the youngest players in the league when drafted.

IF he is right physically, and improbably has the same skills intact that he flashed in 2010 and early in 2011, his first round pedigree is legit, and he would be an upgrade over the likes of Givens and Quick, and would be a good complement to the smaller Austin and Bailey.

They could carry six WRs and not cut Pettis, or add a WR and cut Pettis but keep Quick, so this move doesn't need to radically alter the positional landscape for STL. The contract makes it a classic low risk, high upside move.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/jeff-gordon/tipsheet-britt-may-not-be-lost-cause/article_3b542a1d-92fe-55b5-bfdc-a994f0bcb3d7.html

Tipsheet: Britt may not be lost cause
• By Jeff Gordon

"New Rams receiver Kenny Britt has been one of pro football’s most egregious underachievers.

Dropped passes, clashes with his coaches, multiple run-ins with the law, a serious knee injury . . . Britt checked all the boxes while washing out for the Titans. The 30th overall pick of the draft became a classic NFL failure.

His signing with the Rams elicited more groans than cheers in these parts. Many fans were hoping the Rams would go a different direction and use a high draft pick to select an elite receiving prospect.

Britt's arrival was hardly a free agency blockbuster. But the Newark Star-Ledger found a guy who believes Britt could finally fulfill his vast promise.

“He's maturing,” Titans cornerback Jason McCourty told the newspaper. “Kenny came in the league real young. We came in together and you can see him continue to grow.”

McCourty played with Britt at Rutgers. He saw Kenny flash great potential before his knee injury.

Last season he saw Britt working hard on the scout team after falling out of Tennessee’s playing rotation.

“As defensive backs, we hated it because he gave you 110 percent every day in practice," McCourty said last week. “But he got us ready for every game each week so I appreciated the hard work that he continued to give no matter what was going on with the season.

“I definitely think that was a huge step for him to go through that type of adversity and still be able to persevere and continue to fight and practice hard.”

Rams coach Jeff Fisher drafted Britt in Tennessee and still believes in him. After all, Britt did catch nine TD passes in 2010 – a staggering total compared to Brian Quick’s non-production here – and he had 42 receptions in two different seasons.

“I truly believe he can be a No. 1 receiver in this game.” McCourty said. “That's just from competing with him all throughout practice and camp through these past five seasons. I just think a new scenery will be huge for him. To get back with Coach Fisher, the coach that drafted him, I think that would be a huge opportunity.”

It also may be his last opportunity, given the steady flow of receiving prospects from the college ranks to the NFL.

“He knows he has a family to support and the whole nine,” McCourty said. “I definitely think he understands the process. Sometimes it takes a little while for us to understand the business side of the NFL and I think he's poised and he's ready to go.

“That guy can still go get it. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what he does this upcoming season.”

So are we. For the sake of the Rams and their long-suffering Rams, let’s hope he plays with more urgency than another former Titan, Jared Cook, demonstrated after signing a big free agent deal here."

I don't usually post material like the following, which I have no way to verify, but I found a ring of plausibility, so pass it along for what its worth. I thought there may be a potential discrepancy between points 3 and 5. If STL drafts Clowney, they may not end up with LT Robinson, Matthews or Lewan, unless they were to trade up from 1.13.

some info from inside the org

"For those of you that don't know me, I don't post often, I worked for an NFL team and have a coaching contact and a senior scout contact with the Rams. They don't typically look at these boards during the season, but they do occasionally during the off-season, and here is some recent info from them. To say they are "amused" at some people's opinions is putting it nicely, but I guess that's the punch line of a board like this, and the internet in general for that matter, anyone can participate. But on to the info:

1. The Britt signing was a coup. Getting a potential #1 receiver for only $500K-ish of guaranteed money is simply a great deal. Its a flyer with minimal risk. If he acts up or can't perform, he's gone with minimal cap damage. That's why the signing took so long. Britt wanted a 2-year deal and more guaranteed money, but Demoff held firm, they knew he wanted to play for Fisher. He is not going to take a roster spot from someone they really like longer term. And anyone that thinks a one-year deal with a troubled receiver influences the Rams' draft plans is insulting their intelligence.

2. Fisher has no interest in Chris Johnson. The best aspect of having previous experience with players is that you have a better understanding of a player's heart, work ethic, and character (the most difficult things to judge from afar). He thinks Britt has it if he can get is off-field act together, but not Chris.

3. Clowney is the #1 player on their board currently and its not close. If he is available at #2, they are currently very split in the organization as to whether they take him and make it work, or use the opportunity to trade back. Having him and Quinn off the edge in passing situations and kicking Long and Hayes inside is very intriguing to the D staff, particularly with the mobile QB's in their division.

4. They like Watkins, but there is really a lot of talent in the draft at WR. For example, they don't have a great deal of grade separation currently between Watkins, Evans and Beckham. I did not get the feeling that there was any chance Watkins would be taken at #2. They intend to run the ball, and can get good receivers that fit their system later.

5. They feel they need to fix the OL first and foremost. They are all-in with Bradford, who is obviously coming off a big injury, and with that they absolutely need to protect him better, everything starts with that. They are very happy Saffold is back, but they don't want him at OT. That weakens the interior and he is just slightly better than average at OT. They will come out of this draft with either Robinson, Matthews, or Lewan. Fisher really likes Matthews, if they trade down from #2 he is the likely target. If Long is healthy they put him at ROT and groom him, if Long is not healthy then he is at LOT

6. They like Dix and obviously need a ball-hawking safety, but feel like 13 is too high for him. He is a target if they trade down.

Again, I'm just the messenger, but wanted to pass along. I don't read the board a ton, so I don't know how all of this jives with prevailing opinions, but from what I briefly read, I think people are pretty off-base with the Britt signing criticism. There is no risk here from a cap perspective or a draft perspective."

* Addendum

"The guys I talked to REALLY love Kahlil Mack as a football player, but he is just not a great scheme fit for them in the 4-3. But if Clowney is gone, they think the trade down possibility will be either for another team wanting Mack or Manziel."

to me it has nothing to do with the money - it's about what you do now in the draft and how you develop other receivers. It's also about chemistry. They guy got ran out of town for a reason - ask any Titans fan if they are sad to see him go.

to me it has nothing to do with the money - it's about what you do now in the draft and how you develop other receivers. It's also about chemistry. They guy got ran out of town for a reason - ask any Titans fan if they are sad to see him go.
I'm more interested in what Fisher thinks than Titans fans. Not to compare them as talents or their respective body of work, but Randy Moss supposedly had a leg injury, got traded from OAK, no doubt the fans weren't sad to see him go wither, than he proceeded to ressurect his career.

If his problems are physical and not correctable, he is probably gone. If his problems are mental and he doesn't correct them, he is probably gone. If his physical issues are behind him, and behavior correctable (being allowed to walk and not getting anything more than a one year contract could have been huumling?) he could be worth salvaging. I don't see much risk, and find the little there is outweighed by the potential upside.

I saw this yesterday, but don't agree.

Fisher signed a five year contract. I think Kroenke values the stability and competitiveness Fisher and Snead have brought to the organization. Not sure, but I think he was the longest tenured HC through 2010 (16 years). He tailed off, but that was a long run.

It will be disappointing if they don't get over the hump, but short of a total collapse (and they retained Saffold and Dunbar, made a few strategic free agent additions in Hill and Carrington and will have a lot of help on the way through the draft), don't view this as a hot seat year.

Next year (2015) could be a different story.

Can't see the Rams taking a wideout at #2 - if they were going to take Watkins, then why waste 1/2 million on Britt??

Can't see the Rams taking a wideout at #2 - if they were going to take Watkins, then why waste 1/2 million on Britt??
Maybe both start, or Britt could play an important non-starter role, cheap insurance?

It was not an expensive contract, and I haven't confirmed it, but he may cost less than the reported $550,000 if he doesn't make the roster. It wouldn't make sense to not draft Watkins because of a player not even a lock to make the team.

That said, I'm leaning towards them taking Clowney ahead of him if avail and they pick at 1.2, and if they trade down, Matthews or Robinson. But if THEY like Watkins, IMO there is no way Britt would in any way impact that. MAYBE it is a sign of a preemptive move because they don't intend to use a high pick in the draft, but we have no way of knowing that now.

Magaw, I highly respect your opinion (IMO one of the top 5 posters here), but I can't see them wasting a second (or a buck) with Britt if they had designs on drafting Watkins. Austin is still in the slot, and Bailey looks to be a keeper. That's a decent top three for any team.

Maybe Ram's problem is the QB? Although I don't see anyone I'd like Ram to take this year, but they have a good chance to draft high again next year.

I will be very disappointed if they takes a WR, hopefully they can find a trade partner. Their records of drafting WRs are terrible. Spending the 2nd pick on WR, they will become the new Detroit Lions.

Magaw, I highly respect your opinion (IMO one of the top 5 posters here), but I can't see them wasting a second (or a buck) with Britt if they had designs on drafting Watkins. Austin is still in the slot, and Bailey looks to be a keeper. That's a decent top three for any team.
Thanks, duane,

and you shouldn't take things on faith, any argument should stand on its own merits, and not supersede a more coherent one due to "authoritativeness". I follow the team and league, but so do a lot of other people here. I always look forward to Lyon and Lott's Fingertip weighing in and their insights.

I think we just have philosophical differences here. Maybe you are right?

I already agreed I don't think they draft Watkins. Also that signing Britt COULD mean they don't intend to take a WR, I just don't think we can know that now.

I know even if I intended to draft Watkins, I would still add Britt on a cheap, low risk contract. He could start with Watkins. If he returns to form, he brings things to the table Bailey doesn't (and I am one of Bailey's biggest proponents). Austin doesn't play every down, so Britt could be a WR2 or WR3 on the field with Watkins and Bailey at times. All four (Austin, too) could be on the field in four WR sets. Teams need more than three WRs, and if Britt returns to form that would represent a big upgrade over the likes of Givens and Quick. Sometimes players get injured (look no further than Austin, who missed the last three games last year, it is possible they keep him on some kind of pitch count due to his stature, he can't block in the run game, etc.). Maybe Fisher would be kicking himself if Austin gets hurt again, or Bailey, and he passed on the opportunity to add a first round pedigree WR that he drafted, and had some success under him. Austin, Bailey and Givens don't have ideal size, and may be limited in the red zone, so Britt could help situationally in the red zone, in addition to whatever else he does (Quick has good size, but hasn't always played to his size). There could be a thousand things we aren't thinking of?

Watkins is a great prospect, but I'm not sure with Austin and Bailey that is a decent top 3 for any team. I'm very high on Watkins, Austin and Bailey, but they aren't exactly proven. I could totally understand if Fisher was hedging his bets here. The use of the word decent was telling. They have to be a lot better than decent, SEA and SF may be the two best defenses in the league, and ARI probably top 5-10. Not sure Britt helps, but he was cheap, and has upside if he can turn his career around. They need to get better and take advantage of whatever edge they can in such a competitive division, and as the incumbent cellar dweller.

What if in a WR4 role, Britt makes a few TD catches that are the difference in those games, the difference between 8-8 and 10-6, the difference between not making and making the playoffs?

I don't think Fisher is on the hot seat, YET. But that could change as soon as next year? It makes sense to field as deep a roster across as many position groups as he can. Even if Britt represents depth, we shouldn't underestimate the importance of that. Last year, SEA didn't have Harvin or Rice, but ostensible WR4/WR5-types like Baldwin and Kearse played important roles in the regular season and playoffs in a Super Bowl campaign.

excellent post, as usual.

The issue is that Britt has warts. Ask Titans fans - I am sure that most (if not all) of them said good riddance. I don't think the Rams need to roll the dice on a guy with off field issues, a questionable (at best) work ethic, and questions about his knee.

I don't think he will be a factor, but we will soon see.

Thanks again,

I hear what you are saying. I trust Fisher more than the TEN fans, that is a lot more authoritative and carries more weight with me. Maybe he can push buttons and motivate him in a way Munchak couldn't. It would be great if he was as self-motivated as Jerry Rice and Walter Payton, but the bottom line is, if he plays great and helps them win for whatever reason, that is all I care about. If he was like that, he would still be with TEN, maybe they don't even take Hunter last year (or maybe they do, hard to say, I'm a big Hunter fan, too). TEN fans no doubt wanted him gone because of his apparent eroding skills and decline in play. If he had played better, they would feel differently. This is an obvious experiment and gamble, but a cheap, low risk one. If he does play better, it worked, if not, jettison him.

But the question wasn't should they have added Britt. It was since they have, does that potentially impact a decision to add Watkins in the draft.

As to the off field issues, ex-HC Spagnuolo had his four pillars, seemed to restrict his draft picks to those that didn't pose character risk and he bombed. Fisher (and Snead) seem to be more comfortable taking on off field risks like CB Jenkins and LB Ogletree, and it has worked for them (so far).*

Some STL fans are concerned that Britt takes reps from the youngsters. I agree if he plays poorly, than that is bad. But if he plays better than them, it isn't bad. I trust Fisher to do the right thing thing there, and only play Britt if it is warranted.

Referencing SEA again, they have risen to the top because of Carroll's culture of competition (he would try and recruit the top 2-3 RBs in the nation when he was at USC, got away with it at times, and that was one reason he was so successful - which in turn helped him recruit the following season :) ). If not for that, maybe Matt Flynn is still the starter, Wilson is on the bench (or never drafted in the first place?) and SEA doesn't win the Super Bowl.

Lastly, Britt is HIMSELF a youngster. Maybe it doesn't seem like it because he has been in the league a while and is a little shopworn with the knees, but he entered the NFL as one of the youngest players in the league (20 when drafted). He is only 25, Givens and Quick are 24, not a big difference. He is going to be a sixth year player, but incredibly is only about two and a half years older than WR Kelvin Benjamin, who hasn't even been drafted yet!

* Since we agree in liking Watkins, Austin and Bailey, personally I'm not worried about him being a bad influence. A - hopefully they ARE self-motivated enough to be impervious to that, and B - if that happens he is gone.

Maybe Ram's problem is the QB? Although I don't see anyone I'd like Ram to take this year, but they have a good chance to draft high again next year.

I will be very disappointed if they takes a WR, hopefully they can find a trade partner. Their records of drafting WRs are terrible. Spending the 2nd pick on WR, they will become the new Detroit Lions.
Bradford is fine, his issues have been injuries (to him, to multiple Olineman every year, to multiple WRs most years). It's been insane what bad luck with injuries the Rams have had for several years. Like historically bad insane.

Regarding their pick being high again.... their pick is #13, middle of the pack, and that was with the 57th best NFL QB starting for half the season. I think they'll be middle of the pack again, but that is due to their brutal division and overall tough schedule.

I don't want the Rams to take a WR at #2, but regarding Detroit taking a WR high over and over... well, they did end up with Calvin eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread