What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Texans 2014 off & pre season thread (1 Viewer)

coolnerd

Footballguy
I am really late and really wrong for just starting this thread, but after being asked by at least three people (all nicely) I am going to start the off seasonish thread.

Off season roster post 172

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know much about the Texans, but after Andre and Hopkins, who do they have at WR? Homers, is this thought of locally as an area of need to address in the draft?

Don't know much about the Texans, but after Andre and Hopkins, who do they have at WR? Homers, is this thought of locally as an area of need to address in the draft?
Good question. I don't think 4th Round pick Keyshawn Martin will win the slot position in O'Brien's offense. He has terrible hands. 3rd rounder Devier Posey didn't show much last year in return from his Achilles injury. Granted, boneheaded Kubiak didn't play him much. But I'm not sure he's fast enough to play the slot either. Behind that, we have unproven guys in Alan Bonner and Alex?Lemon I think. Lemon looked good in preseason but went on IR. Bonner, 6th rounder in 2013, got hurt early and never played. He supposedly runs good routes, but that's all we know. I imagine Bill O'Brien will try to find his Edelman late in the draft. But I posed this question in the other texans thread: if Allen Robinson is there at the top of the 3rd (unlikely) should the Texans spend that pick on him? There are many other positions of much greater need, but the kid thrived under O'Brien. Could Robinson play the slot? It would give the Texans a loaded WR corps, and double their chances of finding an heir to Andre Johnson, with hopefully Hopkins or Robinson reaching a high tier. I doubt they'll take a WR before round 5 though.

I can't claim enough of an informed opinion about Robinson vs the other players who might be available there to offer much of an opinion. I'm not against taking a WR there if they think that's the best player at the pick. We are not going to have too many more years of Andre Johnson unfortunately, and with Owen Daniels gone, another receiving option is even more important.

That said, if it was between a WR and a RT they have ranked equally, I'd rather go RT this year and get the O-line in place and time to gel together.

Good question. I don't think 4th Round pick Keyshawn Martin will win the slot position in O'Brien's offense. He has terrible hands. 3rd rounder Devier Posey didn't show much last year in return from his Achilles injury. Granted, boneheaded Kubiak didn't play him much. But I'm not sure he's fast enough to play the slot either. Behind that, we have unproven guys in Alan Bonner and Alex?Lemon I think. Lemon looked good in preseason but went on IR. Bonner, 6th rounder in 2013, got hurt early and never played. He supposedly runs good routes, but that's all we know. I imagine Bill O'Brien will try to find his Edelman late in the draft. But I posed this question in the other texans thread: if Allen Robinson is there at the top of the 3rd (unlikely) should the Texans spend that pick on him? There are many other positions of much greater need, but the kid thrived under O'Brien. Could Robinson play the slot? It would give the Texans a loaded WR corps, and double their chances of finding an heir to Andre Johnson, with hopefully Hopkins or Robinson reaching a high tier. I doubt they'll take a WR before round 5 though.
You answered this well. O'brien has stated directly that he does not have a slot WR (versus 3rd) on the squad now. Whether that means he needs dudes to play better or he does not like the people in play was not clear. I can speculate them drafting that type of guy and maybe even higher than we suspect.

Team visits

1. Bortles
2. Manziel
3. Bridgewater
4. Clowney
5. Khalil Mack
6. Greg Robinson
7. Lonnie Ballentine, S Memphis
8. Chaz Sutton, DL, South Carolina
9. Logan Thomas, QB, Virginia Tech
10. Jason Verrett, DB, TCU
11. Dee Ford
12. Demetri Goodson, CB, Baylor
13. Stephon Tuitt, Defensive End, Notre Dame
14. Jimmy Garoppalo, QB
15. Blake Annen, TE, Cincinnati
16. Jimmie Ward, DB, Northern Illinois

contacts

Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State (COM)
Aaron Donald, DL, Pittsburgh (COM)
C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE, Iowa (PRO)

Demetri Goodson%, DB, Baylor (LOC) (COM)
Ra'Shede Hageman, DL, Minnesota (SR)
Allen Hurns, WR, MIami (PRO)
Jon Krause, WR, Vanderbilt (PRO)
James Logan, WR, Ole Miss (PRO)

Zach Mettenberger, QB, LSU (COM)
Jack Mewhort, OL, Ohio State (SR)
Stephen Morris, QB, Miami (SR)

Ryan Shazier, LB, Ohio State (COM)

Jordan Tripp, LB, Montana (SR)

My guess is Texans stay at 1.01 and take Clowney or trade back to 5-10 or so. Clowney goes 1.01 to someone. If trade back, they don't take a QB.

Texans trade up from 2.01 (33) into late 1st to take a QB to take advantage of 5th year option deal, plus multiple QB's will have come off the board and they get antsy.

Theoretically, if Derek Carr drops to the 2nd round, is he off the table?
I believe so. The Texans have said differently publically, but I just don't see bringing in another for the fan base not to give him a fair shake. he would have to be All-Pro level from his 1st pass.

My guess is Texans stay at 1.01 and take Clowney or trade back to 5-10 or so. Clowney goes 1.01 to someone. If trade back, they don't take a QB.

Texans trade up from 2.01 (33) into late 1st to take a QB to take advantage of 5th year option deal, plus multiple QB's will have come off the board and they get antsy.
I was thinking this too but more and more I think they would only trade back up if they've already traded down. While a 5th year option is nice, I don't think its worth the 3.01 or even the 4.01. You can get very good players with those picks on either line or a DB or a RB.

Plus spending the 2.01 on a QB and having him turn out to not be the answer is not necessarily a regime killer if your other picks and performance on the field are positive. Spending valuable picks trading up for a guy and him failing would be IMO.

I totally agree with you but I think that's too logical an approach. If they pass on QB at 1.01, they are likely in love with some QB's and if those start to go off the board or they get a sense that they can't get the exact one they want at 2.01, they will trade up to ensure they get him.

Trading a 3rd or 4th to move up seems like madness, but it happens all the time.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Adam Schefter indicated on SportsCenter Friday that Buffalo OLB Khalil Mack may still be in the mix to go No. 1 overall to the Texans.
"I do not believe Khalil Mack can be dismissed from the conversation at the No. 1 pick," were Schefter's words. Mack has never been truly dismissed from the discussion, but the commonly held expectation is Houston will select South Carolina DE/OLB Jadeveon Clowney. It's worth noting Mack might be a better scheme fit than Clowney for Romeo Crennel's 3-4. In April, SI's Peter King reported a "friend" of Houston GM Rick Smith told him Smith prefers Mack over Clowney. The Texans also shocked the world in 2006 when they picked Mario Williams over Reggie Bush at No. 1, though Smith wasn't their GM at the time.

Related: Texans

I'd have never thought the Texans could have the #1 overall pick I'd feel as ambivalent as I do at this point. It isn't the lack of options, it's the lead up has been way too long. I hope they move the draft back up to its normal time after this.

Read somewhere that HOU has their guy picked already for the 1 spot. Any insight to that?
They have their board set, but I think trading down is what they intend, as long as someone is willing to give up enough.

I'd still guess Clowney if they make the pick and keep the player. Very possible anyone they do draft will be traded to a team who takes a player they want assuming one's still available.

Rotoworld:

Former Texans GM Charley Casserly said Friday on NFL Network's "NFL AM" that Houston isn't sold on South Carolina edge rusher Jadeveon Clowney due to scheme fit.
"I don't think they're sold on Clowney to fit in the '34' defense," Casserly said. Casserly thinks the Texans might be higher on Buffalo OLB Khalil Mack, but would only take him if they can trade down a few spots. Mack, a 3-4 OLB in college, "is a better fit in the '34' than Clowney," said Casserly. If the Texans can't work out a trade, according to Casserly, "they're going to take" Clowney.

Source: NFL.com

Rotoworld:

Former Texans GM Charley Casserly said Friday on NFL Network's "NFL AM" that Houston isn't sold on South Carolina edge rusher Jadeveon Clowney due to scheme fit.

"I don't think they're sold on Clowney to fit in the '34' defense," Casserly said. Casserly thinks the Texans might be higher on Buffalo OLB Khalil Mack, but would only take him if they can trade down a few spots. Mack, a 3-4 OLB in college, "is a better fit in the '34' than Clowney," said Casserly. If the Texans can't work out a trade, according to Casserly, "they're going to take" Clowney.

Source: NFL.com
That would pretty much put to rest the Clowney vs. Mack debate. It really isn't much of a debate to begin with, though.

Screw the scheme...get the best players and tailor your scheme to their strengths (didnt O'Brien allude to this somewhat in his introductory presser?)

I don't recall the exact number right now, but I previously posted in one of the threads that the Texans were in 4 man fronts (nickel and dime) for 70% of the plays last year. Surely they can make due with him on the other 30%.

Put me on the record as NOT being a fan of selecting Clowney. I still want us to somehow get Bridgewater. Maybe not at #1 overall, but if he truly does fall (I doubt he's out of the top 10) then I would absolutely be willing to trade up for him In the 20's.

Home Run if we trade down and still get Mack.

I don't recall the exact number right now, but I previously posted in one of the threads that the Texans were in 4 man fronts (nickel and dime) for 70% of the plays last year. Surely they can make due with him on the other 30%.
O'brien has said that he expected them to be in some sort of nickle/dime package 65 to 70 percent of the time. 3/4 versus 4/3 debate is actually overrated in that sense.

Put me on the record as NOT being a fan of selecting Clowney. I still want us to somehow get Bridgewater. Maybe not at #1 overall, but if he truly does fall (I doubt he's out of the top 10) then I would absolutely be willing to trade up for him In the 20's.

Home Run if we trade down and still get Mack.
Big fan of the trade down option, especially if we end up with Bridgewater somewhere in there

Screw the scheme...get the best players and tailor your scheme to their strengths (didnt O'Brien allude to this somewhat in his introductory presser?)
McClain was beating this stupid scheme fit drum all offseason until he finally pulled his head out of his ###. He even went so far as to say Watt doesn't fit Romeo's 3-4 scheme either.

I forget who said it when I posted the quote in the previous 2013 thread, but it was basically "Show me a defensive coordinator who can't fit Watt and Clowney into his defense and I'll show you a bad defensive coordinator"

I'm all for a trade down as well but it takes 2 to tango. We got skewered for the Mario pick and one of the many arguments blasting us back then was we should have traded down. Then surprise surprise, Casserly comes out months later and admits they talked to every team behind them and no one was interested. Part of that was due to the old CBA but I think it's still a valid point.

Texans owner: If best player in draft is a QB, first overall pick is easy

Rotoworld:

Texans owner Bob McNair said South Carolina DE Jadeveon Clowney is "obviously the best player in the draft."
"But he's a defensive end," McNair continued. "He's not a quarterback. If he's a quarterback and the best player it's easy, but that's not the case. So can that defensive player have a greater impact on the success of your team than one of these quarterbacks? It's not a sure thing that he is." McNair is on the same page with GM Rick Smith that he'd rather see a trade down from the No. 1 spot in order to get more picks. Clowney is the heavy favorite to go No. 1.

Source: FOX 26 Houston

Rotoworld:

After speaking to "people who know" Texans GM Rick Smith, NFL Network's Ian Rapoport tweeted late Sunday that he "no longer believe(s) it's a certainty" Houston uses the No. 1 overall pick on Jadeveon Clowney.
SI's Peter King, who wrote two weeks ago that people close to Smith believe the Texans' general manager prefers Buffalo's Khalil Mack over Clowney, chimed in on Twitter Sunday, writing "I should say I absolutely don't know who Houston will pick. But I hear the same as Ian." Rapoport added the Texans are "willing to trade" -- which we already knew -- but also called Mack "a name to watch this week," perhaps as a sleeper to go No. 1 overall. On Friday, ESPN's Adam Schefter stated on SportsCenter, "I do not believe Khalil Mack can be dismissed from the conversation at the No. 1 pick." If Clowney slipped to the Rams at No. 2, St. Louis would almost certainly auction the selection to the highest bidder.

Related: Texans, Rams

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

So the Texans have hinted at taking Clowney, Mack or a QB at the 1st overall spot. I bet they've known for a while now who they're taking if they keep the 1st pick. They're just trying to scare the teams in the 2-5 spot to trade up. I can't wait until Thursday to see how wrong all the predictions are.

So the Texans have hinted at taking Clowney, Mack or a QB at the 1st overall spot. I bet they've known for a while now who they're taking if they keep the 1st pick. They're just trying to scare the teams in the 2-5 spot to trade up. I can't wait until Thursday to see how wrong all the predictions are.
I agree. They are taking Clowney at 1 if they can't trade. The problem is they want to trade the pick and raising the demand of other players increases the value of their position. I'm betting Atl is the only team coming to the table right now and they want more leverage to get a RG4 deal.

So the most likely scenarios seem to be the following:

-Stay at number one and draft Clowney, Manziel or Mack

-If you take Clowney, possibly trading him to a team that can select the player they want if he falls to that team

-Trading down and probably taking a QB, or maybe a tackle if Robinson or Matthews fall. Clowney and Mack will probably not be there if the Texans trade down.

Which one do you prefer?

Since this is a deep draft, I prefer the trade down. If I had to guess what the Texans are going to do, I think they are going to trade down and take Bortles because he is the kind of QB O'Brien supposedly likes. I think the trade down

will not bring as much in return as previous trade downs have. The Texans will be ridiculed by the national media for not getting enough.

And Charlie Casserly should be prohibited from ever being able to speak about the Texans ever again, as penalty for some of the awful draft picks he made.

My favorite scenario is taking Clowney and having Bridgewater slide to a place where we can get him too....cant imagine we'd be so lucky so I wouldnt mind a trade down either

-If you take Clowney, possibly trading him to a team that can select the player they want if he falls to that team

-Trading down and probably taking a QB, or maybe a tackle if Robinson or Matthews fall. Clowney and Mack will probably not be there if the Texans trade down.

Which one do you prefer?

Since this is a deep draft, I prefer the trade down. If I had to guess what the Texans are going to do, I think they are going to trade down and take Bortles because he is the kind of QB O'Brien supposedly likes. I think the trade down

will not bring as much in return as previous trade downs have. The Texans will be ridiculed by the national media for not getting enough.

And Charlie Casserly should be prohibited from ever being able to speak about the Texans ever again, as penalty for some of the awful draft picks he made.
I would hate to be Rick Smith if they end up with a disappointing Bortles who gets crushed twice a year against the Jags' Clowney..

Which one do you prefer?

I would hate to be Rick Smith if they end up with a disappointing Bortles who gets crushed twice a year against the Jags' Clowney..
Agreed, but I don't see any way the Jags end up with Clowney in that scenario. If the Texans have traded down, then the team they traded with probably took Clowney. If they didn't take Clowney, then I could see the Rams trading down with a team that wants Clowney (or taking Clowney themselves).

BTW, Charlie Casserly's mock draft has only two QB's going in the first round, Bortles and Carr. With this many teams needing QB, I don't see it. If he is right, I will give him mad props. If he is wrong, I will lambast him for being the idiot I think he is.

BTW, Charlie Casserly's mock draft has only two QB's going in the first round, Bortles and Carr. With this many teams needing QB, I don't see it. If he is right, I will give him mad props. If he is wrong, I will lambast him for being the idiot I think he is.
Casserly is terrible. The NFLN should be embarrassed to employ him.

1 4th and 1 6th to TB for Glennon. So says me.
Interesting. So they would then probably take Clowney or Mack number 1, or trade down and hope Matthews falls to them. Then they can probably pick up more quality picks by trading down from 33 on day 2.

I would not mind this as a way to go, if Glennon is someone that O'Brien thinks he can work with.

Casserly is terrible. The NFLN should be embarrassed to employ him.
Video Link:

Charley Casserly: I have Johnny Manziel out of first round

02:49 – With the 2014 NFL Draft right around the corner, Charley Casserly explains why he has the intriguing Johnny Manziel falling out of the first round.
FYI Casserly hedges his bets by stating that the Rams could be "wild card contenders" to take Manziel, and he also hedges by stating that all bets are off if an NFL team owner steps in and tells the front office to take a QB in the first round.

Very little chance we are spending a top pick on a guy to play right tackle. The Robinson & Mathews talk is just to drum up trade interest IMO.

But it is the draft, stranger things have happened.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Adam Caplan stated on NFL Insiders Tuesday that Texans owner Bob McNair "loves" Johnny Manziel, but is "leaving (the No. 1 overall pick) up to the coaching staff."
Caplan reported the Texans have "done a ton of work" on Manziel over the last two weeks, but it's believed new coach Bill O'Brien would prefer a prototypical-looking passer as his first face of the franchise. Manziel stands just under 6-foot and 207 pounds. We wouldn't totally rule out Houston taking Manziel, but ultimately expect the Texans to draft Khalil Mack or Jadeveon Clowney.

Users who are viewing this thread