What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Job Interview-"We'll let you know either way" they don&#3 (1 Viewer)

Northern Voice

Footballguy
What do you do in this scenario?

I had an interview last Wednesday, they told me I'd hear from them the end of last week or beginning of this week. I've received no word. Many possibilities here:

1) I'm not getting it, they don't want to make that call

2) Tuesday was Canada day, lots of places took a 4-day weekend, timeline may be off

3) No decision made yet.

4) Offered job to someone else, want to make sure he accepts before throwing me aside.

5) ???

My question here is at what point you contact your HR contact at the employer to see what the deal is. I'm not talking about the "thanks for the interview, blah blah blah" follow up, but the "haven't heard anything what's the deal" follow-up. Is sending that e-mail ever a good idea, if so what time past when they said they'd contact you do you allow to pass.

My main issue is the company I was working for (which was B2B sales, so for those in that other thread, it ain't perfect) "restructured" about 5 weeks ago and my territory was moved to inside sales and I was gone. Having no job, I've thrown resumes here, there and everywhere, gone to some interviews, and could potentially be offered 1 or 2 decent jobs next week... but the one above that I haven't heard back from is the one I really want.

Last time I went through this, about 5 years ago, I went a couple weeks without hearing from the job I really wanted, assumed I wasn't getting it. So, I accepted one of the "decent" jobs. Then, a week later, I received a call offering me the one I really wanted, which made for an awkward situation, would like to avoid that this time around.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you could potentially be offered two jobs within the week, I'd recommend waiting. The hiring process always takes longer than any employer says. Once you hopefully have at least one other offer by next week, then you can go back to them, let them know, and apply some pressure. You'll find out quickly in that scenario where you stand.

Good luck!

Three days, contact the recruiter. You'll hear back if you are in the running. Most likely you won't hear back. Sorry. I just went through this and was shocked at how dismissive and rude recruiters are if you aren't the eventual hire. Seems like the kind of job where being connected to as many people as possible would be a benefit.

What do you do in this scenario?

I had an interview last Wednesday, they told me I'd hear from them the end of last week or beginning of this week. I've received no word. Many possibilities here:

1) I'm not getting it, they don't want to make that call

2) Tuesday was Canada day, lots of places took a 4-day weekend, timeline may be off

3) No decision made yet.

4) Offered job to someone else, want to make sure he accepts before throwing me aside.

5) ???

My question here is at what point you contact your HR contact at the employer to see what the deal is. I'm not talking about the "thanks for the interview, blah blah blah" follow up, but the "haven't heard anything what's the deal" follow-up. Is sending that e-mail ever a good idea, if so what time past when they said they'd contact you do you allow to pass.

My main issue is the company I was working for (which was B2B sales, so for those in that other thread, it ain't perfect) "restructured" about 5 weeks ago and my territory was moved to inside sales and I was gone. Having no job, I've thrown resumes here, there and everywhere, gone to some interviews, and could potentially be offered 1 or 2 decent jobs next week... but the one above that I haven't heard back from is the one I really want.

Last time I went through this, about 5 years ago, I went a couple weeks without hearing from the job I really wanted, assumed I wasn't getting it. So, I accepted one of the "decent" jobs. Then, a week later, I received a call offering me the one I really wanted, which made for an awkward situation, would like to avoid that this time around.
I'm really surprised the company even told you when you should expect to hear back. I think scenario 4 is very possible.

My experience has been that if they "settle on a candidate" that says no, they don't go to the next choice in line but rAther keep interviewing until they find someone that they like as much or more as the person that turned them down.

If I'm really interested in the job, I contact them just a day or two after the date they said they would contact me.

I'll just let them know I'm checking in to see if a decision has been made yet because I'm very interested in the job. I don't see how it can hurt. I've always thought it would be received positively by the prospective employer(especially for a sales position) because it shows that you follow up.

Even if a decision hasn't been made yet, at least you aren't left to just wonder about the outcome.

I do a lot of hiring but there is always the run it past a couple other people part. Given the holiday and all that I would say nothing unusual in the delay. And really if someone sent me a "what's the deal" email they better word it pretty nicely or the deal would be "thanks but no thanks". I'm not really on your schedule although I appreciate the anxiety that goes with waiting. Things take time though.

My experience has been that if they "settle on a candidate" that says no, they don't go to the next choice in line but rAther keep interviewing until they find someone that they like as much or more as the person that turned them down.
That depends on how much they like the 2nd choice and how quickly they want to fill the position.

Yeah, see I wonder about this as well. I know that when I've been offered a job where I've tried to negotiate salary/vacation/benefits, they always "need to hear from me quickly because they have another qualified candidate".

No idea, but sorry to hear that you lost your job. :(
Thanks :thumbup: I have 42 weeks of Employment Insurance that I can collect, and I've paid so much into it over the years I feel little guilt taking it, so it's not a lose my house sort of situation. It's more a bored out of my mind, want to get back out there situation.

I knew it might happen, the European company I worked for sold their Canadian division to a Quebec company in January. We all knew there would be some changes, but I loved my job, my numbers were good and I didn't think they would eliminate as much (~75%) of the sales force as they did. Looking back now, they clearly bought the company for its customer base.

In my experience, no news is not good news and scenario 4 seems likely. That, or they've already completely moved on and just neglected to inform you.

At this point, I think it's fine for you to contact them. They've had enough time to contact you and are just being inconsiderate by not following up at all.

Given the holiday, delay is expected here. Be patient, follow up politely by phone on Tues or Weds.

I am always stunned by how little regard HR recruiters have shown me when it comes to basic follow up.

I have a tendency to swing for the fences and go for jobs double my current pay scale. I communicate and interview very well. Twice I have been told the company would like me to come in for round two of interview and then had the HR and company go silent and not return my phone call?

Three weeks ago, I applied for a job with an HR recruiter who I have communicated with for 10 years. He placed me in a job 10 years ago and he calls me to catch up a few times a year on industry news and opportunities.

He had a job that was a stretch and I asked him to consider me. Sent him my resume, followed up 4 times.....silence.

WTF!? I can handle rejection...just say I am not experienced enough and move on with life. Seems like a better option than throwing away a ten year relationship?

If I'm really interested in the job, I contact them just a day or two after the date they said they would contact me.

I'll just let them know I'm checking in to see if a decision has been made yet because I'm very interested in the job. I don't see how it can hurt. I've always thought it would be received positively by the prospective employer(especially for a sales position) because it shows that you follow up.

Even if a decision hasn't been made yet, at least you aren't left to just wonder about the outcome.
My advice is to always follow up. I'd call Monday. You've got nothing to lose.

Canada Day? I mean, to celebrate what exactly?
To celebrate the day in 1867 when Canada came into existence by turning three British colonies into one country.
Did Britain even put up a fight?
They were still under British rule afterword IIRC.
Meh. So Britain downsized the terriitory from 3 governors to 1. Big deal. Happens every year in Fortune 500 companies.

I am always stunned by how little regard HR recruiters have shown me when it comes to basic follow up.

I have a tendency to swing for the fences and go for jobs double my current pay scale. I communicate and interview very well. Twice I have been told the company would like me to come in for round two of interview and then had the HR and company go silent and not return my phone call?

Three weeks ago, I applied for a job with an HR recruiter who I have communicated with for 10 years. He placed me in a job 10 years ago and he calls me to catch up a few times a year on industry news and opportunities.

He had a job that was a stretch and I asked him to consider me. Sent him my resume, followed up 4 times.....silence.

WTF!? I can handle rejection...just say I am not experienced enough and move on with life. Seems like a better option than throwing away a ten year relationship?
Surely it's not your overbearing arrogance that's making them not want to have further contact with you.

Given the holiday, delay is expected here. Be patient, follow up politely by phone on Tues or Weds.
This is the correct answer, screw sending an email. I've been in recruiting for 20+ years and there could be any number of explanations. I would call and be very polite. You might have to leave a voice mail although I would call 2-3 times to get the HR/Recruiter live and only leave a message after the third time to voice mail. Simply say you are following up to see if they have made a hiring decision and that you remain very interested in the opportunity.

If you are a candidate that are still considering or want, you can expect to receive a call back. It sounds like the role is sales focused. I hire a ton of sales people and frankly if I didn't receive follow up from a candidate it would make me question if they were right for the job.

Surely it's not your overbearing arrogance that's making them not want to have further contact with you.
You have me confused with someone else. Arrogance. Absolutely!But not overbearing :P

When I was last out of work I was also amazed at how many placed just totally ignored submissions to them and not a token call or card saying too bad so sad. Horrible practice.

When I was last out of work I was also amazed at how many placed just totally ignored submissions to them and not a token call or card saying too bad so sad. Horrible practice.
When we put up anything looking for workers we get a lot of resumes. I don't really have time to write personal responses to them all. If you didn't hear from us we weren't interested.

NCCommish said:
The Big Guy said:
When we put up anything looking for workers we get a lot of resumes. I don't really have time to write personal responses to them all. If you didn't hear from us we weren't interested.
I get what you are saying and understand, but at the same time it is just plain decency to send a form email or letter saying a simple thanks for applying but no thanks and some random crappie about keeping the resume on file for 60 days or whatever line of hooey that you want to add.

Good luck with the job. My husband had an experience like this about 10 years ago when we were dating. He applied for a job in August l, had to interview in October, then take a test in December, for a job that started the next August. He never got the call so he kept his old just assumed he didn't get the job. The next July almost 2 years later he got the call for the job.

Good luck with the job. My husband had an experience like this about 10 years ago when we were dating. He applied for a job in August l, had to interview in October, then take a test in December, for a job that started the next August. He never got the call so he kept his old just assumed he didn't get the job. The next July almost 2 years later he got the call for the job.
What was the job, monitoring glaciers? Was he still interested?

Thanks :thumbup: I have 42 weeks of Employment Insurance that I can collect, and I've paid so much into it over the years I feel little guilt taking it, so it's not a lose my house sort of situation. It's more a bored out of my mind, want to get back out there situation.I knew it might happen, the European company I worked for sold their Canadian division to a Quebec company in January. We all knew there would be some changes, but I loved my job, my numbers were good and I didn't think they would eliminate as much (~75%) of the sales force as they did. Looking back now, they clearly bought the company for its customer base.
:oldunsure: I think I know that company...

Thanks :thumbup: I have 42 weeks of Employment Insurance that I can collect, and I've paid so much into it over the years I feel little guilt taking it, so it's not a lose my house sort of situation. It's more a bored out of my mind, want to get back out there situation.I knew it might happen, the European company I worked for sold their Canadian division to a Quebec company in January. We all knew there would be some changes, but I loved my job, my numbers were good and I didn't think they would eliminate as much (~75%) of the sales force as they did. Looking back now, they clearly bought the company for its customer base.
It's possible, the company has/had no US presence at all, other than a strategic partnership with the 4th or 5th biggest player in the States. They're very big in France/UK, most of Europe.

Anyway, still no word, but two interviews tomorrow.

I get that when you're talking about the initial stage of receiving hundreds of resumes, but usually you're only going to interview a half dozen or so of those at most, it should be common practise not to leave them hanging once they've spent a couple hours meeting with you.

I get that when you're talking about the initial stage of receiving hundreds of resumes, but usually you're only going to interview a half dozen or so of those at most, it should be common practise not to leave them hanging once they've spent a couple hours meeting with you.
I tell people straight out that I'll be calling back the candidate I'm interested in. I have also spoken to people I wasn't interested in, but who called back to see if I was. I'm honest with them.

I just remembered a really dooshy thing a guy who wanted to hire me did. I was 18-19 and the manager of a rite aid wanted to give me an evening shift a few nights a week. He called and offered the job and told me the schedule. I asked him if I could call him back in less than 5 minutes because I needed to make a call to be sure one of the nights wouldnt be a problem for me. He said sure.

I called about 4 minutes later to tell him that I would be able to work the shifts. Hetes what happened

" I made sure that I could free up that night and it turns out ill be able to work the hours you need so I will be able to take the job"

" im sorry but I gave the job to the next person on the list"

" what do you mean? You said I could call you back in 5 minutes after I checked if I could free up one of the nights you needed"

" if someone turns down the position I go to the next person on the list"

" I didnt turn down the job. I made it clear I was checking my schedule so that I wouldnt say yes if I couldnt commit to those hours. If you thought I was turning it down why did you say I could call you back in 5 minutes"?

" the way I do it is if someone turns the job down I call the next person on the list"

" I didnt turn the job down. I was freeing up my schedule so that I could give you an honest answer. If I didnt want the job why would I ask to call you right back? That doesnt make any sense"

" like I said if someone turns the offer down I go to the next one on the list. I gave the job to them. Ill keep you in mind if another position opens up"

" no thanks. I dont want to work for someone as stupid as you. Go F--- Yourself"!

Click

One of the most dumbfounding things I can recall

Last edited by a moderator:
the manager of a rite aid wanted to give me an evening shift a few nights a week.
I would pay money to see you and Eminence in some kind of low-level drugstore employee contest. Who gets price checks the fastest? The better aisle clean-upper. Better cart gatherer. Who rocks the bow-tie and apron more stylishly?

the manager of a rite aid wanted to give me an evening shift a few nights a week.
I would pay money to see you and Eminence in some kind of low-level drugstore employee contest. Who gets price checks the fastest? The better aisle clean-upper. Better cart gatherer. Who rocks the bow-tie and apron more stylishly?
Id smoke him.

After reading the conversation what is your opinion of the manager I spoke to?

I just remembered a really dooshy thing a guy who wanted to hire me did. I was 18-19 and the manager of a rite aid wanted to give me an evening shift a few nights a week. He called and offered the job and told me the schedule. I asked him if I could call him back in less than 5 minutes because I needed to make a call to be sure one of the nights wouldnt be a problem for me. He said sure.

I called about 4 minutes later to tell him that I would be able to work the shifts. Hetes what happened

" I made sure that I could free up that night and it turns out ill be able to work the hours you need so I will be able to take the job"

" what do you mean? You said I could call you back in 5 minutes after I checked if I could free up one of the nights you needed"

" I didnt turn down the job. I made it clear I was checking my schedule so that I wouldnt say yes if I couldnt commit to those hours. If you thought I was turning it down why did you say I could call you back in 5 minutes"?

" the way I do it is if someone turns the job down I call the next person on the list"

" I didnt turn the job down. I was freeing up my schedule so that I could give you an honest answer. If I didnt want the job why would I ask to call you right back? That doesnt make any sense"

" like I said if someone turns the offer down I go to the next one on the list. I gave the job to them. Ill keep you in mind if another position opens up"

" no thanks. I dont want to work for someone as stupid as you. Go F--- Yourself"!

Click

It is not that dumbfounding. Apparently you did not give the impression you wanted the job bad enough, so he gave the job to someone who he thought did.

Click

It is not that dumbfounding. Apparently you did not give the impression you wanted the job bad enough, so he gave the job to someone who he thought did.
Thats BS. I told him I did want the job but he needed me to work on one of the nights I didnt put down as available for. I was clear with him that I needed to make sure I could work that night and he said I could call him right back. That was the right thing to do on my part and he should have appreciated that instead of me saying yes without thinking.

I told him I wanted it. If he didnt think I did why would he say I could call him back within 5 minutes? What would have been the point of that ?

But of course im the one at fault. Im always the one at fault. Its not possible that the guy is either an idiot or a complete ##### who couldnt wait 5 minutes for his top choice to do the right thing and open their schedule? How could anyone read that exchange and not see that the guy completely screwed me?

Thats what I get for doing the right thing. Im at fault on that one arent I? I should have just said yes without thinking and just not shown up to work that night

Yup Jason is ALWAYS the one at ####### fault!!!!!

The hiring process always takes longer than any employer says.
NV, not sure where you stand in the process, but this sentence is so true. Even when companies say they need to fill a spot right away, if often takes longer than what they indicate. Especially during the summer when decision makers may be on vacation, etc.

It could be any of those scenarios you mentioned, but don't discount that while the job is everything to you, companies don't feel the same pain if they just drag the process out.

Click

Thats BS. I told him I did want the job but he needed me to work on one of the nights I didnt put down as available for. I was clear with him that I needed to make sure I could work that night and he said I could call him right back. That was the right thing to do on my part and he should have appreciated that instead of me saying yes without thinking.

I told him I wanted it. If he didnt think I did why would he say I could call him back within 5 minutes? What would have been the point of that ?

But of course im the one at fault. Im always the one at fault. Its not possible that the guy is either an idiot or a complete ##### who couldnt wait 5 minutes for his top choice to do the right thing and open their schedule? How could anyone read that exchange and not see that the guy completely screwed me?

Thats what I get for doing the right thing. Im at fault on that one arent I? I should have just said yes without thinking and just not shown up to work that night

I am not blaming you, it was kind of a jerk move. But he is the boss. When a potential employer asks if you can start on Monday at 9, the correct answer is not, "Can I check my schedule to see if I can squeeze you in?" The correct answer is, "yes I can".

Click

Thats BS. I told him I did want the job but he needed me to work on one of the nights I didnt put down as available for. I was clear with him that I needed to make sure I could work that night and he said I could call him right back. That was the right thing to do on my part and he should have appreciated that instead of me saying yes without thinking.I told him I wanted it. If he didnt think I did why would he say I could call him back within 5 minutes? What would have been the point of that ?

I am not blaming you, it was kind of a jerk move. But he is the boss. When a potential employer asks if you can start on Monday at 9, the correct answer is not, "Can I check my schedule to see if I can squeeze you in?" The correct answer is, "yes I can".
I did not say "ill see if I can squeeze you in". I had a previous obligation on that night and the first thing he asked after offering me the job was if I could work that night despite me not putting it as an available evening on my application.

That means he liked me enough to even call me and ask despite what the application said. Thats why the whole thing didnt make wny sense.

When I do the wrong thing on wrong.

When I do the right thing im still wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread