What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pink Floyd -- there's never been anything better, ever (1 Viewer)

Otis

Footballguy
Happy to hear argument to the contrary, but I have a hard time believing that the rock genre has ever offered anything more beautiful and contemplative than this. This is artistry at its absolute best.

Last edited by a moderator:
In terms of albums, DSOTM and the Wall are epic, obviously. DSOTM is probably my favorite 45 minutes or so of music ever.

I'm also a huge, huge fan of Animals, Wish you were here, and Meddle.

Good grief this stuff is incredible.

Really can't say I have a favorite. Depends on so much and SO much of their stuff is mind bogglingly good.

Fat Old Sun is awesome. The whole Atom Heart Mother album. #### every album just about.

Echoes is amazing.

Final Cut has some great tunes.

I have somewhere a cd of live set your controls for the heart of the sun they was otherworldly.

Had the opportunity to see Roger Waters: The Wall when they came to Tampa a few years back. Although it wasn't "Pink Floyd" it was still an amazing experience. I would say Comfortably Numb is probably my favorite, I get lost in that song every time. What an amazing guitar solo.

I am going to be 28 next month and sometimes I wish I was older just so I could have seen some great bands live in person. Pink Floyd, Allman Brothers Band (have seen them twice although I wish it was at the Beacon in NYC and of course missing Duane and Berry Oakley), The Doors, Cream, Stevie Ray Vaughan...the list goes on.

Zeppelin for me, but yeah, they're great. Weird, seems like a thread Tim would start though.
If I had to rate them overall, I'd go Zep.

Thankfully. We don't have to. LZ was blues rock like we'd never heard and then some. Floyd had a range if operatic music and telling a novel through album as never had been done before or has been, since.

I amin a huge minority here, but I have a huge huge Floyd fan, and The Division Bell is my fav album. I think lyrically, it is thier best.

I have fav songs throughout the catalogue.

My favourite song is Coming Back to Life, but do love:

Fat old Sun

Set the Controls

Astronomy

Hey You

and my dark hose is "If"

Too many to really list.

I once thought listening to Gilmour play guitar was like a warm blanket that just makes you feel like you are wrapped up ready to relax

In terms of albums, DSOTM and the Wall are epic, obviously. DSOTM is probably my favorite 45 minutes or so of music ever.

I'm also a huge, huge fan of Animals, Wish you were here, and Meddle.

Good grief this stuff is incredible.
Just started listening recently?

Never been my favorite but I do like them. Got stoned to The Wall album at the Griffith Park Planetarium "Laserium" show back in the day.

Radiohead really reminds me of Floyd, especially songs like "Karma Police" and "Fake Plastic Trees".

Animals is one of the most underrated albums of all time. Love Dogs off of it.

David Gilmore is my favorite all time guitarist....

While not my favorite, Floyd has long been a top tier all-time band for me, so any argument that results in Floyd being the best is hard to argue with. :yes:

If David Gilmour is your favorite guitarist, you should probably know how to spell his name. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Happy to hear argument to the contrary, but I have a hard time believing that the rock genre has ever offered anything more beautiful and contemplative than this. This is artistry at its absolute best.
Serious question from a Pink Floyd fan: What exactly "rocks" about Pink Floyd?

shine on you crazy diamond
This came on the juke box a few weeks ago at the local dive bar, hadn't heard it in a decade, more than a few bourbons coursing through my veins, stopped me in my tracks. Amazing how some songs are forever ingrained in your mind. Makes me want to take a trip up to CO.

All 3 of my sons know to quiet down and turn up the volume whenever Comfortably Numb should pop up. That there is Glilmour at his finest, IMHO...

My first Floyd show was the DSOTM tour in '73 which featured quadraphonic-like sound and a friggin' plane on a wire that flew down from just to my right and plowed into the wall at the back of the stage. What more could a 16 year old want??

As just one easy example:

1. Go find the song Comfortably Numb

2. Go to the guitar solo

3. Rock

2. Go to the guitar solo

3. Rock
Or Echoes, or Pigs, or Astronomy, or the second half of Fat Old Sun, or Money, or Fearless. or.....

2. Go to the guitar solo

3. Rock
Or Echoes, or Pigs, or Astronomy, or the second half of Fat Old Sun, or Money, or Fearless. or.....
All this.

I won't say theyre the GOAT but they are top 5. Dark Side and the Wall are top 10 all time albums. Wish you were here has some of my favorite songs by them. Pigs is my all time favorite Floyd song. I dont think theres a more unique band that was an all time great.

LOVE this album.

For me, this would be exhibit #1 of what I have gained by being a member of FBG. Honestly never gave them much of a chance in HS/college, but through drafts and discussions here I decided to try some of their albums out with more of an open mind. Now I can't get enough. I get the love, but Dark Side doesn't do much for me, but I could listen to Animals, The Wall, Wish You Were Here, and Meddle on a loop.

Thanks FFA!

2. Go to the guitar solo

3. Rock
All this.
Except Money.

Luckily I'm not much of a lyric guy, because I don't think I could listen to more than about 10 minutes of Waters' outlook without wanting to jump off of a bridge. He makes Cobain sound as optimistic as Paul McCartney.

Luckily I'm not much of a lyric guy, because I don't think I could listen to more than about 10 minutes of Waters' outlook without wanting to jump off of a bridge. He makes Cobain sound as optimistic as Paul McCartney.
Probably not a great guy to party with.

Speaking of downer RW lyrics, anyone else really like The Final Cut? I don't think any of the members but Waters really put their hearts into it, but I've still listened to it a ton of times.

You are probably right that for contemplative rock music, Pink Floyd is right at the top. That isn' a trait that rock music naturally excels at.

Never tried mushrooms or LSD so I guess I don't get their music all that much. Good but way overrated imho.

You are probably right that for contemplative rock music, Pink Floyd is right at the top. That isn' a trait that rock music naturally excels at.
Funkadelic destroys Floyd in the "head music" category (Gilmour must have nightmares that he didn't write "Maggot Brain" since he's spent his entire career trying not to steal it), and does so with a sense of humor (so does Bootsy Collins, whose "Munchies For Your Love" dusts everything on DSOTM). Hell, Zappa - who I do not like much more than a little bit - does it better, though the camp factor gets old real fast.

That being said, "Wish You Were Here" is an undeniable classic. It's the only Floyd song that has an ounce of soul-instead-of-craft and one I'd have loved to hear Otis Redding give a shot at had he lived.

Users who are viewing this thread