What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Passed Out and Totaled My Truck (1 Viewer)

Chadstroma

Footballguy
Some of you who have been around a while may or may not remember me. Those that are newer likely have no idea who I am as I have not been on as much as I use to over the last couple of years. It looks like there will be more posts from me in the next few days.

Last night, I woke up with my skin feeling like it was on fire, a red rash and feeling extremely bloated. I basically decided to go to the nearest Urgent Care. At the time, I did not feel light headed or dizzy or otherwise impaired or worried that I might pass out. On the way, I did pass out. My F-150 went into the embankment on the side of the road and flipped.

I came to as I was crashing... though I did not comprehend at the time that I was crashing. When I finally realized that I had crashed, I began to try to find my cell phone. As I was doing that 3 separate cars drove by me without stopping. This was around 2am and though the road I was on is a often frequented road, not as much at 2 in the morning. I could not find my cell phone so the only thing I thought of was turning on the emergency lights (side note, the truck was still running without a problem) as a sign that I needed help.... not that seeing a truck on it's side does not already scream that. Finally, the 4th person stopped. He looked into the truck while on the phone and gave me a sign to hold on. Shortly after a cop showed up. Asked if I was ok, where I was hurting, etc.... at this point, I was hopelessly shaking in shivers and was unsure if that was another symptom of not feeling well or if it was being in shock. Not too long after that the firefighters showed up and began the process of helping me. They cut the roof of the truck and used the jaws of life to open it up like a tin can and pulled me out. I asked for my phone but was told in the ambulance that they could not find it.

I got to the hospital and they did their thing. I was in a neck brace immobilized for hours from being pulled out, having X-Rays, CatScans etc done on me and then finally getting the results that everything was fine. In the meantime, I was trying to remember my wife's phone number. I never really knew it even though it was the same number she has had since I first met her about 9 years ago. I guess that is the curse of speed dial. Never knew my home number either. All my phone numbers are on my phone. I asked them to look up my name for the phone but no dice. Asked them to look up my father in law. Nope. So, they asked me if I wanted a cop to go to my house to inform my wife. Man, that was the last thing I wanted to do because you know when a cop comes to your door at an odd hour that it is not good news. However, apparently the cop that was the first responder already did that and my wife had spirited my kids off to her parents and made her way to the hospital. My poor wife had to experience the police officer coming to the door, the dog barking, the kids waking up crying and her fearing her husband was dead.

So, no broken bones. No internal problems. Everything checks out. I am in a hella lot of pain from legs on up to my head. An interesting side note, it amazes me how much dogs know. When we got home, my dog greeted me at the garage entry door as he normally does but did so without his normal excitement and jumping around. You could honestly see his concern for me and he has not left my side since.

The truck is totaled. My FIL said to go to the place that they towed it to and get the tires as they are newer and good quality, so before the insurance takes possession I can retain them. I need to get my phone from the truck. Not sure if there are any other suggestions amongst those in the know of such matters, but I am all ears.

Here is a fun twist- my unit was just sold to another institution last month. My understanding was that insurance was good until the end of this month. In fact, my old employer sent my last incentive check earlier this month and took out money for my insurance. I have no idea when the new insurance is suppose to go into place but since we are enrolling in that this month, I don't see how it would already be in place. Luckily I have medical on my car insurance so I guess either way I will be OK rather than the worried about being Scrooged McDuck with a large bill for services rendered.

So, now I am on my back. A little pain if I don't move and sometimes a whole lot of pain if I do. I got a couple of muscle relaxers though I was surprised no Vicodin was given.

Sorry for the length of the post and the detail that perhaps at times was useless.... but I am bored and the only thing I have it my laptop. :)

So, the red rash and passing out was never addressed?
The belief is that it was some Niacin pills that I have been taking for a while now. They must have reacted badly with something I ate or cold medicine and did a "flushing" which is in line with the symptoms. The passing out apparently would have been from my blood pressure dropping quickly because of that reaction. I am not sure if it was because the adrenaline/shock of the incident or just because it likely took about 30 minutes to have responders and then another 30 minutes to pull me out (so I am told, time went by fast for me) that it just dissipated but by the time I was pulled out all those symptoms were gone.

Good that they didn't find anything more serious. Trucks can be replaced. I'm happy you're okay.

The belief is that it was some Niacin pills that I have been taking for a while now. They must have reacted badly with something I ate or cold medicine and did a "flushing" which is in line with the symptoms. The passing out apparently would have been from my blood pressure dropping quickly because of that reaction. I am not sure if it was because the adrenaline/shock of the incident or just because it likely took about 30 minutes to have responders and then another 30 minutes to pull me out (so I am told, time went by fast for me) that it just dissipated but by the time I was pulled out all those symptoms were gone.
All this new age flushing and cleansing... Almost killed you. Go back to healthy eating... Eggs and bacon, steaks... Pizza... MAN FOOD! Good to hear from you... I wish you a speedy recovery!

Scary. Glad you're OK man. Did you ever figure out what were the initial issues that you experienced that made you go in the first place? Told the doctors about that and what did they say?

Wow. That's rough, but glad you're okay.

In every case that I've seen, employers won't cancel prior medical coverage until the new plan starts. Often the new plan will go into effect the 1st of the next month after enrollment, but if so, I'd think that you're likely covered under the old plan. I'd check with HR, or whoever handles employee benefits at your company.

Glad you're alive Chad. You're a fine poster and you always seemed like a decent guy. Hope everything works out for you from this point forward.

My poor wife had to experience the police officer coming to the door, the dog barking, the kids waking up crying and her fearing her husband was dead.
I'm glad you're ok. Did you tell your wife you were going to urgent care?

Scary. Glad you're OK man. Did you ever figure out what were the initial issues that you experienced that made you go in the first place? Told the doctors about that and what did they say?
Answered above.

Glad your OK.

All this new age flushing and cleansing... Almost killed you. Go back to healthy eating... Eggs and bacon, steaks... Pizza... MAN FOOD!Good to hear from you... I wish you a speedy recovery!
The "flushing" is something you want to avoid not the purpose of taking Niacin. But regardless, I won't be taking that anymore.

Here is a funny thing though....The firefighters said that likely because I have extra weight that it helped me in the accident with extra 'padding'.

Wow. That's rough, but glad you're okay.

In every case that I've seen, employers won't cancel prior medical coverage until the new plan starts. Often the new plan will go into effect the 1st of the next month after enrollment, but if so, I'd think that you're likely covered under the old plan. I'd check with HR, or whoever handles employee benefits at your company.
My insurance did not go through at the hospital and at CVS for the meds. It will be a pain to figure out so I am putting it on hold until I feel better. In the meantime, knowing I have the medical on the car insurance puts my mind at ease.

That Niacin flushing feeling is crazy. Happened to me about 20 years ago and I stopped taking the stuff. Freaked me out.

Really glad you are OK.

That Niacin flushing feeling is crazy. Happened to me about 20 years ago and I stopped taking the stuff. Freaked me out.

Really glad you are OK.
Yeah, I get it if I drink an entire 5 Hour Energy drink. It actually warns you on the bottle.

Way to cheat death. Hope you have a speedy recovery.
Absolutely feeling like I cheated death.... not only that but I cheated a whole lot more. I am so happy that I did not hit anyone. Man, I don't know what I would have done if I had hurt someone.

As for me.... sure, I am sore as heck right now but no broken bones or any internal problems. A sore body and a few scrapes is all that happened to me. ALL. I would have been going a good 40-50 mph at the time and I didn't have my seatbelt on (something that I almost always wear). I could have easily hit a tree (they are all along the area I was in) and at different spots along the route there are bodies of water.

My wife said in the hospital... "This is a wake up call." and I asked "for what?" and she was saying about stressing about things and that type of thing. I said to her "what do I stress about?" and then she (what I think now more of a confession) said that it was maybe a wake up call for her. I think that that may have been more about 'us' than about stressing about small stuff as our relationship has been better in the past. I wonder if feeling like a bit when the cop came up that she lost me kind of hit her hard and made her think.

My poor wife had to experience the police officer coming to the door, the dog barking, the kids waking up crying and her fearing her husband was dead.
I'm glad you're ok. Did you tell your wife you were going to urgent care?
Yes. I don't recall exactly but she said that she said something about taking me. I don't want to say that I don't recall because I do not want her to feel bad because whether she did or not- I would not have let her. At the time, the only symptoms I had were the rash, burning feeling and bloating. I did not feel dizzy or lightheaded or anything else that would make me think I was in danger of passing out. I did not want to wake up my 3 year old and 11 month old and take them to urgent care at 2am. Obviously a bad call in hindsight but like I said, I had no reason to think I was going to pass out. Also, this was literally the only time I have ever passed out in my life.

Really glad you are OK.
Yea, I read about the flushing but waking up from a dead sleep burning and then my face looked weird (I say like a bulldog and my wife says like a Klingon) along with redness- I freaked out. I think if I was awake and it happened, I would have realized it was maybe the Niacin and looked up on the internet. No more Niacin for me.

Wow, scary. Glad you're ok. Next time have your wife drive you to urgent care or call an ambulance. Especially if it is 2am.

Last edited by a moderator:
I cant believe 3 people drove past a flipped truck. If it was just a regular accident that didnt look very bad and you were in a hurry I can understand not getting involved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Read an article on Niacin this morning and people having reactions. Glad you're OK

Glad to hear you're ok.

Missed you around here, you were always one of my favorite posters.

Get well.

Users who are viewing this thread