What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****Steak, Steakhouse, Side Dish Thread**** (1 Viewer)

fantasycurse42

Footballguy Jr.
How about a happy thread that can't result in arguing...

Scenario; Steakhouse for dinner with the wife/date/etc., both of you are eating steak... Drinking and eating like animals, you split two sides out of below:

Onion Rings

Creamed Spinach

Grilled Asparagus

Haricots Verts gremolata

Mashed Potatoes

Truffled Mashed Potatoes

French Fries cilantro mayonnaise

Potato Skins

Idaho Baked Potato fully loaded

Potato Gratin

Stuffed Mushroom Caps

Hen of the Woods Mushrooms

What are you going with?

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume you mean Au Gratin Potatoes. We'd go with those and probably the spinach. But you do realize that steak sides are an indicator of political affiliation so don't be surprised if this thread doesn't go the way you were hoping.

With my wife? Probably the asparagus and the hen of the woods mushrooms.

If I called the shots? Keep the mushrooms and add creamed spinach (which is my platonic ideal of a steakhouse side).

Medium rare and medium are acceptable temps. Nothing above. Less than medium rare, I wouldn't order it that way but have eaten rare-ish steaks before.

Loaded tater.

The vegetable selections suck, so we'd go with asparagus by default.

Medium rare and medium are acceptable temps. Nothing above. Less than medium rare, I wouldn't order it that way but have eaten rare-ish steaks before.
This is BLT Steaks definitions, I'm actually curious to taste blue, but I could never order that:

Steak TempsBlue: Very Red, Cold Center

Rare: Red, Cool Center

Medium Rare: Red, Warm Center

Medium: Pink, Hot Center

Medium Well: Dull Pink Center

Well Done: Dull Gray

This is BLT Steaks definitions, I'm actually curious to taste blue, but I could never order that:

Steak TempsBlue: Very Red, Cold Center

Rare: Red, Cool Center

Medium Rare: Red, Warm Center

Medium: Pink, Hot Center

Medium Well: Dull Pink Center

Well Done: Dull Gray
Commonly I think most people consider that definition of Medium to be Medium Rare and the definition of Medium Rare to be Rare.

I assume you mean Au Gratin Potatoes. We'd go with those and probably the spinach. But you do realize that steak sides are an indicator of political affiliation so don't be surprised if this thread doesn't go the way you were hoping.
The only problem I run into is that they always come out so hot that you finish your steaks and they're still too hot to eat.

Loaded tater.

The vegetable selections suck, so we'd go with asparagus by default.
Loaded tater or the skins.

Agree on the veggie options sucking. Stuffed shrooms would usually be the way to go, but with the taters too? Kinda heavy. We'd go with the gremolata of those, but would try to write in garlic shrooms and tomatoes.

jon_mx said:
No Hashbrowns?
No kidding. That is why I go to Denny's to get real steak.
Denny's huh? You got a raise at work I see

You've never had hashbrowns at a steakhouse? Murray's and Manny's have great hashbrowns
Strip House has a dish called Goose Fat Potatoes, basically a delicious take on hash browns.. Dish is delicious, here is a pic:

http://www.urbanspoon.com/rph/144/920387/1055937/florida-keys-strip-house-goose-fat-potatoes-yum-photo

Any list that does not include some variation of Potatoes Lyonaise / hashbrown almost like a dinner version of home fries had not been to the right steakhouse

I've seen hash browns at Charlie Palmer steak, Morton's, and Smith & Wollensky's. I don't really do potatoes with my steak, but it seems pretty ubiquitous.

I've seen hash browns at Charlie Palmer steak, Morton's, and Smith & Wollensky's. I don't really do potatoes with my steak, but it seems pretty ubiquitous.
You mean those aren't breakfast joints? They will never be successful with hash browns as a side option. Somebody better let the chefs at these places know that Butcher boy and eoMMan do not agree with offering hash browns. I bet when these chefs find out that those two don't agree with hash browns as a side offering, they will change their menu

Last edited by a moderator:
No Lobster Mac and Cheese? Pretty much best reason to go to Capitol Grille.
I used to order Mac and Cheese a lot as a side with my steaks, but of all the heavy dishes accompanying a steak, I just found this one to be the heaviest.

Obviously delicious though... Del Frisco's does this one right.

I had to google haricot vert. Why not just call them green beans?

I'd go with scalloped potatoes and roasted cauliflower.

jon_mx said:
No Hashbrowns?

You've never had hashbrowns at a steakhouse? Murray's and Manny's have great hashbrowns
Strip House has a dish called Goose Fat Potatoes, basically a delicious take on hash browns.. Dish is delicious, here is a pic:

http://www.urbanspoon.com/rph/144/920387/1055937/florida-keys-strip-house-goose-fat-potatoes-yum-photo
Fingerling potatoes cooked in goose or duck fat. So very good...

jon_mx said:
No Hashbrowns?

If you don't know what hashbrowns are in this context, there is no other answer than you are either not a real man and/or a complete idiot.

HOWEVER, there's good news - that can easily be changed. Go to Palm Steadhouse, they have them all over. I believe Mortons (which sucks cause its not dry aged, but good sides) has it too. Peter Lugers can sometimes get a little dry, but still really good with a little Luger sauce mixed in.

jon_mx said:
No Hashbrowns?

If you don't know what hashbrowns are in this context, there is no other answer than you are either not a real man and/or a complete idiot.

HOWEVER, there's good news - that can easily be changed. Go to Palm Steadhouse, they have them all over. I believe Mortons (which sucks cause its not dry aged, but good sides) has it too. Peter Lugers can sometimes get a little dry, but still really good with a little Luger sauce mixed in.
Isn't their signature potato dish the German Potatoes, more like home fries, no?

Users who are viewing this thread