What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How do you feel about Orton now? (1 Viewer)

switz

Footballguy
After the Cutler/Orton trade, a number of people were predicting Denver would move up and grab Mark Sanchez (or at least draft another QB to start this year.) That dind't happen, in fact their drafting of Brandstater was late, and he's probably practice squad material.

Does anyone still doubt that Orton will be the Broncos starter? If so, why?

lots of upside in that offense. I didn't expect the Broncos to draft a QB so my opinion hasn't changed at all really.

The draft did not change my opinion of Orton in the least. Orton seems to me like a guy with upside that will have a good shot at the starting QB position. I tend to think he will beat Simms (I am an Orton fan, to be honest) but I still do not see that as a given based on anything that happened this weekend.

Orton is smart, has a good work ethic (now), and he usually won't hurt you. I think now that he has some tools he will be consistently decent, but never great. If you don't need to throw 3 TDs to win, you can win with him. If you do, you won't.

I don't know that Denver knows what kind of team they are or want to be right now, so as a caretaker QB that can do some good things for you, Orton is fine. But stash away those SB dreams, he's not that guy without a lot of other superior pieces in place.

I am a big Simms guy. I think he is going to beat out Orton and be a very solid QB this year, if in fact, the competition between them in training camp is truly open. As such, I am not surprised Denver didn't go QB in the draft.

I'm not so much down on Orton as I am high on Simms. I think he is a tough kid with a great arm. Unfortunately, I'm not convinced that the competition between them is in fact going to be truly open. Too much at stake after how the Cutler thing went down.

It doesnt look like it is going to matter whom the qb is. RUN RUN RUN FORREST RUN!

haha winner will be a nice back up to own I guess if bye week works for your starter.

If your depending on Ortin or Simms to win you football leagues your gonna be bumbing.

Orton's OK but no franchise QB.

I think McDaniels is a bigger doosh than before. He took over a team with a good offense and bad defense, undid much of their strength and didn't do much to fix their weakness.

I'll tell you MY theory....(of course, I'm sure it will be rediculed)...but, here goes....

Denver already had MOST of their offensive pieces in place

At the 2009 auction...they picked up the #1 RB available...they then went defense.

They already have their receiving corps in place....

They now have what SHOULD be a running game...

OL...decent...

My theory is that they go with this in 2009

The QB class of 2010 is MUCH more promising than it was in 2009

They won't be great this year so they'll have a relatively low draft placement in 2010

They will use their extra picks....move up...and grab a QB from the class of 2010 then get defense with their few other picks

After the 2010 draft they will have Defense...WR, RB, OL, and QB all covered for a run in 2010 or 2011.

Ok...fire away!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll tell you MY theory....(of course, I'm sure it will be rediculed)...but, here goes....Denver already had MOST of their offensive pieces in placeAt the 2009 auction...they picked up the #1 RB available...they then went defense.They already have their receiving corps in place....They now have what SHOULD be a running game...OL...decent...My theory is that they go with this in 2009The QB class of 2010 is MUCH more promising than it was in 2009They won't be great this year so they'll have a relatively low draft placement in 2010They will use their extra picks....move up...and grab a QB from the class of 2010 then get defense with their few other picksAfter the 2010 draft they will have Defense...WR, RB, OL, and QB all covered for a run in 2010 or 2011.Ok...fire away!!
As a Bronco fan, that sounds good to me. Do you know what picks they have in 2010? They traded their #1, but they still have Chicago's #1. I guess we have to root against Chicago this year so that pick will be better. What other extra picks do they have to trade up in 2010? What are the QB prospects in 2011? I guess I'd rather see them shore up the defense with the first pick in 2010.

I'll tell you MY theory....(of course, I'm sure it will be rediculed)...but, here goes....

Denver already had MOST of their offensive pieces in place

At the 2009 auction...they picked up the #1 RB available...they then went defense.

They already have their receiving corps in place....

They now have what SHOULD be a running game...

OL...decent...

My theory is that they go with this in 2009

The QB class of 2010 is MUCH more promising than it was in 2009

They won't be great this year so they'll have a relatively low draft placement in 2010

They will use their extra picks....move up...and grab a QB from the class of 2010 then get defense with their few other picks

After the 2010 draft they will have Defense...WR, RB, OL, and QB all covered for a run in 2010 or 2011.

Ok...fire away!!
They traded away their first so their bad 09' won't earn them a low first. So maybe in the 2nd or with the or the Chicago pick, they grab a QB. However I think it would be embarrassing if they used there picks to move up to a draft pick, since in your scenario they would have a bad 09' and would essentially be moving up to a pick that they already gave away this year knowing that they were not going to be very good.

I'm just saying that they (and a lot of other people) were not impressed with the QB's of this year's draft.

Even the "best" QB wasn't that great.

I don't think that any of the top 3 were a good fit for Denver.

However...the "best" RB was that good....good enough to take...even though Defense was the #1 priority.

The 2010 draft will have ...Tim Tebow...Colt McCoy....Dan LeFevour...Sam Bradford (grad in '11)...Jevan Snead (grad in '11)

If Denver can grab one of these....the picture may be complete...on offense anyway.

Aaron Rudnicki said:
lots of upside in that offense. I didn't expect the Broncos to draft a QB so my opinion hasn't changed at all really.
Orton managed to throw 21 td's last year with the junk they had at WR, I think he'll do pretty good, especially considering how bad that denver D is..He's gonna HAVE to throw.

I think if you're following Orton you have to feel good about his chance to start. I think Simms is a gutsy kid who has accomplished a lot just by coming back, but Orton should have every chance to win that job.

I don't think Denver will be any good this year so I don't think it matters much. Denver is a "stay away" team for me in my drafts. I'll risk losing out on whatever Royal can do and go with someone on a better team.

Never bought into the Sanchez thing.

And I don't buy that they make a move for some rookie stud next year.

I think if Josh McDaniels thought he needed a stud flamethrower, he would have kissed Cutler's booty, and he didn't. McD figures his system can make a stud QB out of a guy that has certain qualities. We shall see if it's true, and if Orton has those qualities.

I really have no idea who the strater will be, but the story that the Bears were able to make the deal because they had orton seems to make it clear that McD is gonna give him a real good shot.

I'm just saying that they (and a lot of other people) were not impressed with the QB's of this year's draft.

However...the "best" RB was that good....good enough to take...even though Defense was the #1 priority.

The 2010 draft will have ...Tim Tebow...Colt McCoy....Dan LeFevour...Sam Bradford (grad in '11)...Jevan Snead (grad in '11)

If Denver can grab one of these....the picture may be complete...on offense anyway.
I don't agree with that. The QB's this year weren't overall #1 pick worthy but that doesn't mean they aren't that great. Who in any draft these days is worth over $40million guaranteed?I like Sanchez, just not where he was picked.

I am targetting Orton as my 2nd QB in all non dynasty leagues this year. Has good weapons and McDaniels schemes well as long as the QB can handle the playbook, which is the one area where I think Orton may have an advantage over Cutler.

I don't agree with that. The QB's this year weren't overall #1 pick worthy but that doesn't mean they aren't that great. Who in any draft these days is worth over $40million guaranteed?I like Sanchez, just not where he was picked.
Sanchez started only one season in college..To me (and many others) Sanchez was THE biggest question mark of the draft.

I was so releived when Denver didn't go up to get him...

I'd take Bradford or McCoy right now over Sanchez...

Sanchez started only one season in college..To me (and many others) Sanchez was THE biggest question mark of the draft.

I was so releived when Denver didn't go up to get him...

I'd take Bradford or McCoy right now over Sanchez...
Sanchez started 3 games in 07 too. 16 games in all. You'd take 2 guys that aren't even in the draft? That's a cute trick.

Sell high
Do you feel Simms will beat him out? Do you think they'll still bring in another QB?I don't think Orton has that high of value currently to sell high... I'm guessing you feel he won't play at all? Curious.
No, Orton will start this yr... the only way he'll be benched is if they go 0 - 4 or just plays terrible. However, I expect the Broncos to be finish around .500, maybe less. I will say this, unless Denver gets into the playoffs this yr, I expect them to draft a QB with either their 1st or 2nd in 2010; maybe even trade for one next off-season. Orton is a good back-up, hes a decent game-manager, but hes not a good NFL starter, he can't make all the throws.So if I got offered a late 1st for him, maybe early 2nd... I would take it. Or Hold him and pray for a big game 1 or 2.

My opinion hasn't changed. He's a better than 50% bet to start the season as the stater, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if Simms wins the gig. Either way, I wouldn't expect either to play well enough [or the Broncos to be good enough as a team] to hold off the other for a full season.

It's too early to talk in definites in regard to the DEN QB situation. I think it is likely that Orton is the favorite to take the job, but I don't think his upside is that great, even if forced to pass a lot. He has quite a bit of trouble going down field effectively, but is a decent game manager. I see him as a QB that can keep teams in games, but shouldn't be asked to win them... maybe not a great fit with Denver's defense.

He has plenty of upside IMO. Denver's defense is still going to be awful, so Orton will be forced to throw a lot. Teams will continue to focus on keeping Marshall under wraps, so McDaniels will design plays to get Royal in space. I like his odds in that type of system. I think it works for this year at least. The dump offs to Moreno (ala Kevin Faulk with better skills after the catch) will certainly help as well. OL was solid last year, and it's a young unit so no reason for a decline that I can see

I can't believe they didn't address their defensive front 7 more in the draft

Sell high
Do you feel Simms will beat him out? Do you think they'll still bring in another QB?I don't think Orton has that high of value currently to sell high... I'm guessing you feel he won't play at all? Curious.
No, Orton will start this yr... the only way he'll be benched is if they go 0 - 4 or just plays terrible. However, I expect the Broncos to be finish around .500, maybe less.

I will say this, unless Denver gets into the playoffs this yr, I expect them to draft a QB with either their 1st or 2nd in 2010; maybe even trade for one next off-season.
They don't have a first in 2010.
Orton is a good back-up, hes a decent game-manager, but hes not a good NFL starter, he can't make all the throws.

So if I got offered a late 1st for him, maybe early 2nd... I would take it. Or Hold him and pray for a big game 1 or 2.
:moneybag: Are we talking about the same player?

Sell high
No, Orton will start this yr... the only way he'll be benched is if they go 0 - 4 or just plays terrible. However, I expect the Broncos to be finish around .500, maybe less.

I will say this, unless Denver gets into the playoffs this yr, I expect them to draft a QB with either their 1st or 2nd in 2010; maybe even trade for one next off-season.
They don't have a first in 2010.
Orton is a good back-up, hes a decent game-manager, but hes not a good NFL starter, he can't make all the throws.

So if I got offered a late 1st for him, maybe early 2nd... I would take it. Or Hold him and pray for a big game 1 or 2.
:moneybag: Are we talking about the same player?
Don't they have the Bears' 2010 1st, and no... he can not make every NFL throw needed in Josh's system. He doesn't have tom Brady's arm and I would even consider Cassel a stronger arm... like many have said; he has problems getting down the field.

Orton is gonna have to out-perform Simms, but I think he can and will be the starter.

The QB competition will be close however and we could easily see Simms in for Orton for injury or under-performance in Week 3 or 4....

He doesn't have tom Brady's arm and I would even consider Cassel a stronger arm... like many have said; he has problems getting down the field.
Brady doesn't really have a strong arm, neither does Cassel. And if you can overthrow Devin Hester, you have to have some arm strength. Orton's problem going downfield hasn't been about getting the ball far enough, he's just not been accurate. Go
, he's got a good enough arm. As for McDaniels system, it doesn't really call for tough throws at all. That's why a guy like Cassel can step in and be successful.I'm not so sure Orton is the long term answer in Denver myself, but feel he is going to be the starter, and be decent.

He doesn't have tom Brady's arm and I would even consider Cassel a stronger arm... like many have said; he has problems getting down the field.
Brady doesn't really have a strong arm, neither does Cassel. And if you can overthrow Devin Hester, you have to have some arm strength. Orton's problem going downfield hasn't been about getting the ball far enough, he's just not been accurate. Go watch some film, he's got a good arm. As for McDaniels system, it doesn't really call for tough throws at all. That's why a guy like Cassel can step in and be successful.I'm not so sure Orton is the long term answer in Denver myself, but feel he is going to be the starter, and be decent.
1) I think WAY too much emphasis is put on 'arm strength' by fans, particularly given the fact the vast majority of us don't really know who has strong arms and who doesn't because we don't break down film or talk to coaches2) A weak arm can be a detriment, but the truth is very few NFL QBs that see playing time suffer from that problem3) Aside from unfounded declarations on message boards, I've never seen a credible source say Orton had a weak arm. In fact, a quick Google search of "Kyle Orton arm strength" will reveal plenty of declarations by coaches [his own and opposing] saying just the opposite. Orton's weaknesses as an NFL QB don't include having a weak armSwitz is much more optimistic about Orton than I am, so we'll continue to debate whether he's going to make a positive impact in Denver. But I did have to concur with him that there seems to be this mythic belief that "Captain Neckbeard" is an undersized, noodle armed QB. He's neither. He's 6'4", 226 pounds with plenty of arm.He just can't do a lot with that arm. ;)

Brady doesn't really have a strong arm, neither does Cassel. And if you can overthrow Devin Hester, you have to have some arm strength. Orton's problem going downfield hasn't been about getting the ball far enough, he's just not been accurate. Go
He may have a stronger arm than many will concede (including me), but if he isn't accurate down field, it doesn't matter all that much how far he can chuck it. But again, I think he is a decent QB and game manager, just not a guy I would want to ask to win games for my team. - All of that said, you make a good point about McDaniel's system not calling for a ton of downfield stuff... this could be key for Orton's chances of success. But if DEN is down late often in 2009, I would have big concerns as a Broncos fan that Orton can make enough big plays at the end of the game.

After the Cutler/Orton trade, a number of people were predicting Denver would move up and grab Mark Sanchez (or at least draft another QB to start this year.) That dind't happen, in fact their drafting of Brandstater was late, and he's probably practice squad material.Does anyone still doubt that Orton will be the Broncos starter? If so, why?
Nothing has changed my view, I still think he is a below average NFL starting QB

Aaron Rudnicki said:
What did you make of them drafting a RB in the first round, with all those RB on there roster?

After the Cutler/Orton trade, a number of people were predicting Denver would move up and grab Mark Sanchez (or at least draft another QB to start this year.) That dind't happen, in fact their drafting of Brandstater was late, and he's probably practice squad material.

Does anyone still doubt that Orton will be the Broncos starter? If so, why?
Nothing has changed my view, I still think he is a below average NFL starting QB
:lol: Agreed. He's decent and will likely beat out Simms (although I wouldn't be shocked if Simms ended up the starter either).

The fact that Denver didn't move up to take a QB, when they would have had to move into the top 5 to get ahead of the Jets could simply mean they didn't want to give up that much - especially if they believed the best RB in the draft would still be there at 12.

My point is that the "average/decent" label which would apply to Orton/Simms is not even applicable to their RBs - they're even weaker at RB than at QB. Yes, they should have addressed defense, but the fact that they got Moreno says more about the weakness of their RBs than the strength of their QBs, imho.

I think this is the best thing that could have happened to Orton. He will be teaming up with the best offensive coach he has had in his pro career, and a coach that I think will be able to work with and finish developing Orton. The bears have always seemed to have horrible position coaches on offense, and never develop players very well. I think McDaniels will be able to work Orton into his system, and obviously felt there was some value in him or he wouldn’t have added him to the trade. I believe Orton can run the system much like Cassel did last year and he will for once in his pro career have some WR's that are worth anything.

As far as Orton being able to improve with coaching, anyone who has looked at him since is rookie season has seen huge improvement with minimal team support. His first year in the league he would miss wide open players 10 yards past the line of scrimmage by about 5 yards give or take. This last year, he showed some reasonable accuracy especially in the short to medium throws and was working on his long throws.

Basically I think Orton will win the starting job, and will probably look like a pretty decent starting QB. I think he does well enough to play himself into a starting role where Denver does not draft a high quarterback next year, and instead concentrates on rebuilding defense which is sorely needed.

Maroney=Speed said:
Aaron Rudnicki said:
What did you make of them drafting a RB in the first round, with all those RB on there roster?
love Moreno but it was a terrible pick given the team needs and the money they spent in free agency already.

Orton played better than expected last year before his ankle injury, averaging 238 yrds/game that included games of 268, 283, 286 & 334 (out of 7 total). He was no where near the same QB afterwards, averaging 171 and only eclipsing 200 twice (out of 7 total).

Additionally, he has accuracy issues from time to time, especially when passing deep.

Go watch some film, he's got a good enough arm
I've watched a ton of Orton, i've broken down tapes. I've done so because I like the guy and want to see him succeed. His arm is not strong enough, its not weak, but its not strong enough to be a high end pocket passer. He has to wind up too much to deliver a deep strike, which takes too long and is inaccurate. That is part of having an arm not strong enough.Arm strength isnt a question of being able to throw the ball 50 yards through the air- there are ten thousand washed out college QBs that can do that. It's about delivering the ball on a rope to a receiver in stride or on his breaks. That requires more than just lofting it far enough, it requires having zip on the ball so it gets there accurately and timely. Orton's deep balls are inaccurate (he most have missed or underthrown wide open Hester 10 times this season) and don't have zip. You have to be able to make those throws off balance or moving. That's why Brett Favre was a specimen, he could make throws falling down that Orton couldn't make standing along in an empty stadium.You can beat Orton by collapsing the pocket on him. Do that and he will dump it off, or take the sack. He won't burn you on the go route or find time with his feet. Any QB that can't do one of those two things is not going to be a top 15 NFL QB. Nobody is worried that he's going to take a 2 or 3 step drop and throw it over the defense- he can't do that without setting up, and that's the difference between Tony Romo and Kyle Orton.

I'll tell you MY theory....(of course, I'm sure it will be rediculed)...but, here goes....Denver already had MOST of their offensive pieces in placeAt the 2009 auction...they picked up the #1 RB available...they then went defense.They already have their receiving corps in place....They now have what SHOULD be a running game...OL...decent...My theory is that they go with this in 2009The QB class of 2010 is MUCH more promising than it was in 2009They won't be great this year so they'll have a relatively low draft placement in 2010They will use their extra picks....move up...and grab a QB from the class of 2010 then get defense with their few other picksAfter the 2010 draft they will have Defense...WR, RB, OL, and QB all covered for a run in 2010 or 2011.Ok...fire away!!
:lol: If only it was that simple. Just because you draft certain positions does not mean they will not bust at those positions. That D was so bad at every position except Champ Bailey, that it will take a lot of luck and hard work to improve it. By the time you add the other pieces (assuming they even are decently successful), Champ Bailey himself will be getting so much older. Also, it is unknown how good Marshall and Eddie R really are without Cutler now. And finally, Marshall is a walking time bomb when it comes to off field transgressions. Much easier to build a team around a QB than without one.

Orton's OK but no franchise QB. I think McDaniels is a bigger doosh than before. He took over a team with a good offense and bad defense, undid much of their strength and didn't do much to fix their weakness.
Lots of "non-franchise" QBs have won super bowls.If you really analyze Denver's offense, they were not really good, and they needed fixing. Red zone? Poor scoring. The reason they put up so many yards was that they always had to go 88-90 yards due to poor special teams and defense. They had to put up those yards just to be semi-competitive.The new ball control, spread attack, with a freakish RB in MOreno, will open up the offense more and the dizzying crossing pattern's of Urban Meyer's NFL version of the "spread" will drive defenses crazy. That alone will keep the Denver Def off the field and rested.

It's silly to say "he can't make all teh throws". He actually can. He could throw teh ball 72 yards while still in high school, that's why Purdue took him. He was at a Drew Brees QB camp, they inked him right then and there.He can throw deep, short, drags.... he just never had real WRs. All his WRs in Chicago were converted DBs and would drop the ball when he would zip it in there. He had to slow his velocity down so they could catch the ball.You are going to be surprised with this kid. Watch Marshall and Royal will both have 100 catches in 2009.

I've watched a ton of Orton, i've broken down tapes. I've done so because I like the guy and want to see him succeed. His arm is not strong enough, its not weak, but its not strong enough to be a high end pocket passer. He has to wind up too much to deliver a deep strike, which takes too long and is inaccurate. That is part of having an arm not strong enough.Arm strength isnt a question of being able to throw the ball 50 yards through the air- there are ten thousand washed out college QBs that can do that. It's about delivering the ball on a rope to a receiver in stride or on his breaks. That requires more than just lofting it far enough, it requires having zip on the ball so it gets there accurately and timely. Orton's deep balls are inaccurate (he most have missed or underthrown wide open Hester 10 times this season) and don't have zip. You have to be able to make those throws off balance or moving. That's why Brett Favre was a specimen, he could make throws falling down that Orton couldn't make standing along in an empty stadium.You can beat Orton by collapsing the pocket on him. Do that and he will dump it off, or take the sack. He won't burn you on the go route or find time with his feet. Any QB that can't do one of those two things is not going to be a top 15 NFL QB. Nobody is worried that he's going to take a 2 or 3 step drop and throw it over the defense- he can't do that without setting up, and that's the difference between Tony Romo and Kyle Orton.
Bro, I live in Chicago and have watched every Orton game since college. The dude has a superior arm. Much stronger than Brady and Manning. The furthest Favre could ever throw was 74 yards. Orton threw it 72 yards while still in high school. Let's not make up information and just repeat what idiots in the media say. We are smarter than that. The dude can throw hard and far. Now he has a nice offense and lots of real offensive toys to play with.... not to mention the best pass blocking line in the NFL.

love Moreno but it was a terrible pick given the team needs and the money they spent in free agency already.
:lmao: What? Wow, color me very surprised. He could be one of the best backs in the NFL for years to come. The free agency money will pale in comparison to that return.

I don't see this extreme obsession with blue chip QB's you guys have rubbing off on McDaniels. He is a supposed QB guru so I could see any of the QBs on the team as starters at some point. Remember, the Broncos are a system team now not a star driven team. I think intelligence is key to who is going to win the starting job. The broncos are either going go trade the Chicago pick or go defense with it. I don't see them picking up such a risk as a first round QB. Brandstarter or w/e is more than likely the future if Orton or Simms don't work out and McDaniels gets him to run the system efficiently.

Go watch some film, he's got a good enough arm
I've watched a ton of Orton, i've broken down tapes. I've done so because I like the guy and want to see him succeed. His arm is not strong enough, its not weak, but its not strong enough to be a high end pocket passer. He has to wind up too much to deliver a deep strike, which takes too long and is inaccurate. That is part of having an arm not strong enough.Arm strength isnt a question of being able to throw the ball 50 yards through the air- there are ten thousand washed out college QBs that can do that. It's about delivering the ball on a rope to a receiver in stride or on his breaks. That requires more than just lofting it far enough, it requires having zip on the ball so it gets there accurately and timely. Orton's deep balls are inaccurate (he most have missed or underthrown wide open Hester 10 times this season) and don't have zip. You have to be able to make those throws off balance or moving. That's why Brett Favre was a specimen, he could make throws falling down that Orton couldn't make standing along in an empty stadium.

You can beat Orton by collapsing the pocket on him. Do that and he will dump it off, or take the sack. He won't burn you on the go route or find time with his feet. Any QB that can't do one of those two things is not going to be a top 15 NFL QB. Nobody is worried that he's going to take a 2 or 3 step drop and throw it over the defense- he can't do that without setting up, and that's the difference between Tony Romo and Kyle Orton.
:goodposting: Cutler will not miss those throws. There will be more big plays down the field this year.

Bro, I live in Chicago and have watched every Orton game since college. The dude has a superior arm. Much stronger than Brady and Manning. The furthest Favre could ever throw was 74 yards. Orton threw it 72 yards while still in high school. Let's not make up information and just repeat what idiots in the media say. We are smarter than that. The dude can throw hard and far. Now he has a nice offense and lots of real offensive toys to play with.... not to mention the best pass blocking line in the NFL.
Doesn't really matter how far Orton can throw it when he misses wide open receivers. The guy just isn't accurate, especially deep. But of course, it's probably the fault of all those DBs converted to play WR. :goodposting:

Users who are viewing this thread