What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sean Payton critical of extra-short week (1 Viewer)

just_want_2_win

Footballguy
"You know, Thursday night games are one thing, but to play on a Sunday night game and then come back and play on a Thursday ... you can't really [complain publicly] because first off, it's not an excuse for your players, you don't want it to be. But I would say it's crazy. It's silly, all right? It shouldn't happen," Payton said.

Later, he added: "It's foolish. You got three guys that are hurt in there right now. To play a Sunday night and travel is foolish."

According to Elias Sports Bureau, only four times in the last 20 years had an NFL team been forced to play a Thursday road game following a Sunday night contest. Only one team, Miami in 2003, had won both.
I think it's a valid point. Player safety my ...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11795016/sean-payton-new-orleans-saints-critical-sunday-night-thursday-night-turnaround

Pretty much all players and coaches in The NFL have been critical of Thursday night games,citing the points Payton makes. It took the league 50 years to admit there was a concussion issue involving player safety and health. Thursday's make money so the league won't listen to the concerns of it's participants.

Boo freakin hoo, play 2 whole football games in 5 days. Cry me a river, its a game not flying to the moon.
this. not to mention it's a 4 hour difference from playing a sunday afternoon game
When a team's only getting 92 hours between the end of one game and the beginning of the next (assuming there's no overtime), 4 more hours is significant. And if the NFL had a policy that teams playing on Thursday always got an early game on Sunday, it'd be a 7.5 hour difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Boo freakin hoo, play 2 whole football games in 5 days. Cry me a river, its a game not flying to the moon.
this. not to mention it's a 4 hour difference from playing a sunday afternoon game
When a team's only getting 92 hours between the end of one game and the beginning of the next (assuming there's no overtime), 4 more hours is significant. And if the NFL had a policy that teams playing on Thursday always got an early game on Sunday, it'd be a 7.5 hour difference.
So the Chargers play a home game at 10am? Looks like there's a policy that if you're away on TNF, you're at least home the Sunday before. Good enough, get over it Payton

So the Chargers play a home game at 10am? Looks like there's a policy that if you're away on TNF, you're at least home the Sunday before. Good enough, get over it Payton
Payton is 100% right here. If the NFL is going to make these guys have a quick turnaround and play on Sunday evening they should have an early game the Sunday before.

The NFL is the epitome of corporate America...all they care about is making an extra buck...to have these games makes any discussion about player safety the farce that it is...what I don't understand is why they don't align most of these games up with byes...I'm sure they could figure out how to avoid most of these Sunday-Thursday turnarounds pretty easily...

I don't understand why the NFL doesn't just go to an 18 week schedule, still with 16 games, and just give everyone an extra bye week. Have teams play Thursday night games when coming off bye weeks, and then you have teams play their London games (we all know more are coming) before their other bye. It gives a lot more flexibility and it is obviously better for the players. We already have too many 1pm ET starts so this will help alleviate some of that bunching, and the networks get an extra week of Sunday games to show.

The downside of course is extending the season another week, or getting rid of the two weeks between the Championship games and the Super Bowl, but this seems like the pros are worth the cons.

I think his gripe was that not only was it a Sunday night-Thursday night, but they also had to travel to Carolina. That really lessens the prep time. Sunday night, these guys are getting home at midnight, then getting back to work on Monday morning. They have 2 days (in which they are really sore) to practice and then they have to have a travel day to get to Carolina, get adjusted, etc.

I think the NFL should look into making sure that teams that play Thur night games have home games the week before. This seems like a good solution.

Actually, it worked out great for the Saints. They won a tough road game, and now have a long time to recuperate before their next game. So I'm very glad to see Payton speak out against it when it worked, rather than whine about it after a loss.

I think his gripe was that not only was it a Sunday night-Thursday night, but they also had to travel to Carolina. That really lessens the prep time. Sunday night, these guys are getting home at midnight, then getting back to work on Monday morning. They have 2 days (in which they are really sore) to practice and then they have to have a travel day to get to Carolina, get adjusted, etc.

I think the NFL should look into making sure that teams that play Thur night games have home games the week before. This seems like a good solution.

Actually, it worked out great for the Saints. They won a tough road game, and now have a long time to recuperate before their next game. So I'm very glad to see Payton speak out against it when it worked, rather than whine about it after a loss.
I'd rather him not whine at all and just win like a Ronnie Lot finger chopping tough ###. Why are football players such pansy Hershey kisses melting in the sun. They are supposed to inspire toughness and give us stories of greatness to ponder. We get enough moaning and complaining from our daily lives/wives.

I'd rather him not whine at all and just win like a Ronnie Lot finger chopping tough ###. Why are football players such pansy Hershey kisses melting in the sun. They are supposed to inspire toughness and give us stories of greatness to ponder. We get enough moaning and complaining from our daily lives/wives.
Because the NFL is about competitive balance. Lou Groza and Alex Karras played on Sundays only, same fields, same rules. Now some teams play three men down with no real nights off, and some lose a home game to some neutral, sloppy field 6 time zones away.

The point is not whether it is fair or unfair. The point is I don't want to hear it from the team. Plenty of analysts and fans can plead a teams case. Their role is to fight through it and be tough while doing it, build a legacy. Leave it to the sirens the jesters and the bards to tell the amazing tale of how grown well paid professional men played TWO freaking games in 92 hours or whatever amazing feet it was. Place their busts in Canton ... "The 53 who did the 92" caption under each bust. "They gave up the extra 7.5 hours of normal recuperation time for their sacrifice."

Didn't stop him from feeding Mark Ingram who is apparently nursing a shoulder issue
Not like he had much of a choice with Thomas and Robinson out.

I think Payton has a legitimate argument here. The NFL obviously likes to show its marquee teams in the SNF/MNF/TNF showcases, but at least make it reasonable for the teams involved.

Didn't stop him from feeding Mark Ingram who is apparently nursing a shoulder issue

I think Payton has a legitimate argument here. The NFL obviously likes to show its marquee teams in the SNF/MNF/TNF showcases, but at least make it reasonable for the teams involved.
The good news for Saints fans is that despite the really tough start to the season, they have a relative cakewalk schedule for the rest of the year. Beginning with three in a row at home in the next three weeks.

Because the NFL is about competitive balance. Lou Groza and Alex Karras played on Sundays only, same fields, same rules. Now some teams play three men down with no real nights off, and some lose a home game to some neutral, sloppy field 6 time zones away.
ironic when the complainant benefits from playing Coaching in the worst division in football.

The point is not whether it is fair or unfair. The point is I don't want to hear it from the team. Plenty of analysts and fans can plead a teams case. Their role is to fight through it and be tough while doing it, build a legacy. Leave it to the sirens the jesters and the bards to tell the amazing tale of how grown well paid professional men played TWO freaking games in 92 hours or whatever amazing feet it was. Place their busts in Canton ... "The 53 who did the 92" caption under each bust. "They gave up the extra 7.5 hours of normal recuperation time for their sacrifice."
and received an extra 7.5 hours the next week.

Maybe if the players were concerned with their own safety (and their fellow players) then the owners might get serious also. But to take the league to task as the party overwhelmingly at fault while players actively take unnecessary risks and intentionally utlize poor techniques seems awfully disingenuous.

I don't understand why the NFL doesn't just go to an 18 week schedule, still with 16 games, and just give everyone an extra bye week. Have teams play Thursday night games when coming off bye weeks, and then you have teams play their London games (we all know more are coming) before their other bye. It gives a lot more flexibility and it is obviously better for the players. We already have too many 1pm ET starts so this will help alleviate some of that bunching, and the networks get an extra week of Sunday games to show.

The downside of course is extending the season another week, or getting rid of the two weeks between the Championship games and the Super Bowl, but this seems like the pros are worth the cons.
This is the future, 18 weeks, London, 2 bye weeks, the whole thing.Makes a lot of sense...

Totally see the league's POV -- NFL is so lucrative, spreading out to more games over the week means more TV revenue, and helps alleviate the inventory of 8 games Sunday AM. They have the biggest professional sports cash cow, milk it for all it's worth.

Totally see Payton's POV -- forget about the hours of gameplanning and practice forfeited, NFL is a brutal sport and I bet the day off (and medical treatement) players often get Mondays is a big part of why we don't see even more injury attrition through the year.

Will be interesting to see how these POVs clash over time -- the less prepared and healthy teams are for TNF, the crappier the product, the less people watch, the less profit for the NFL.

Coming off a (easy) win, I don't think Peyton comes off as nothing more than #####ing and moaning. Which is his style.

Coming off a (easy) win, I don't think Peyton comes off as nothing more than #####ing and moaning. Which is his style.
To be fair, he's saying it after two wins in 4 days. If they had lost both or split, I think he'd look more like whiner. I see his point that it's tough to rebound on Thursday after a very late game on Sunday night, not just Thursday night in general.

He's totally right. Especially having to then travel. I mentioned this to my friends when they played Sunday night thinking it's odd since they then have to go on the short week.

Oh the irony.

The good news for Saints fans is that despite the really tough start to the season, they have a relative cakewalk schedule for the rest of the year. Beginning with three in a row at home in the next three weeks.
Three at home vs SF, Cin and Balt who currently are a combined 13-8-1. Home or not that isn't a cake walk.

Three at home vs SF, Cin and Balt who currently are a combined 13-8-1. Home or not that isn't a cake walk.
Relative cakewalk. Saints suck on the road and are superheroes at home, and have played 5 of their road games already. And after SF, Cin, and Bal, they play the Steelers on the road, followed by teams that are a combined 9-21-1 to end the season - the Panthers, Bears, Falcons, and Bucs.

doesn't really matter when the rest of your division has a .260 winning percentage.

Says the guys that's obviously sat on the bench and watched his teammates play.

Valid point by Payton. You basically cut out a whole day of treatment and have to travel. Bad move by NFL.

He's totally right. Especially having to then travel. I mentioned this to my friends when they played Sunday night thinking it's odd since they then have to go on the short week.
And do you think this would happen to the Pats or the Steelers or the Giants???? No.

Relative cakewalk. Saints suck on the road and are superheroes at home, and have played 5 of their road games already. And after SF, Cin, and Bal, they play the Steelers on the road, followed by teams that are a combined 9-21-1 to end the season - the Panthers, Bears, Falcons, and Bucs.
Not to splith hairs but relative to what? Three 6-1/6-2 teams? They play great at home but that lineup is not a cake walk relative to anything.

Valid point by Payton. You basically cut out a whole day of treatment and have to travel. Bad move by NFL.
he has a valid point, but it's not like the league is taking a day away. It's just making them do 2 games in 5 days, then recover for 9 days.

but yes, there are better ways to schedule.

Not to splith hairs but relative to what? Three 6-1/6-2 teams? They play great at home but that lineup is not a cake walk relative to anything.
Relative to their opening schedule, which included five road games including the Cowboys (6-1 division leaders), Lions (6-1 division leaders) and Browns (4-3 and one game out of division lead), and the Packers (5-3 and one game out of the division lead) at home.

More home games are always better for the Saints (and most teams) and getting the tough opponents at home makes a big difference. The best team they have to face on the road in the second half of the schedule is the Steelers - who lost to the Bucs at home thanks to the incredible arm of Mike Glennon. I feel pretty okay about that game.

I've been noticing it all season. I think it's already happened a couple times.

Teams playing Thursday nights should have a bye the week prior.
This makes a lot of sense to me, except that there are no byes for the early and late weeks.
There's no Thursday game in week 17, and for week 1, they're coming off training camp/preseason and not a game the prior Sunday...so that knocks out two of the weeks where there's an issue.

And remember his main point isn't that Thursday games shouldn't be played at all (although I'm sure he'd happily argue that). But that when you do play, the league should do whatever possible to have you in an early game that prior Sunday. It's really not that big of an ask.

Same thing happened with Denver last week. They played Sunday night and then Thursday night.

he has a valid point, but it's not like the league is taking a day away. It's just making them do 2 games in 5 days, then recover for 9 days.

but yes, there are better ways to schedule.
You're taking a LOT of time away making them play Sunday night and have to travel. Guys that get done at 4p have all day for treatment and recovery routines. Getting done at midnight, not so much. Then you force them into their travel routine, which eats up another 1/3 of a day.

You're taking away a lot of time, when compared to their opponent, which is amplified during a shortened week.

You're basically taking away 1/3 of a day for recovery and 1/3 of a day for game prep. Someone has to travel, it's never fair, but it shouldn't be the team that played Sunday night for Thurs games.

Same thing happened with Denver last week. They played Sunday night and then Thursday night.
How did the oldest QB in the league possibly survive the short recovery time, without complaint? Sure he was at home, but he still only had 92 hours. What's in that Papa John Pizza? :X

Users who are viewing this thread