What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

U2 - Songs of Innocence (1 Viewer)

Ghost Rider

Footballguy
This is the new U2 album. It was released yesterday for free to all iTunes users, which was a great idea by Apple.

Anyway, I'm on my second listen now and it's sounding pretty darn good. Definitely sounds like a U2 record.

This is the new U2 album. It was released yesterday for free to all iTunes users, which was a great idea by Apple.

Anyway, I'm on my second listen now and it's sounding pretty darn good. Definitely sounds like a U2 record.
which U2 record?
sounds like their older stuff in a lot of parts. It really harkens back and channels the days of the ramones and the clash. went back to thier roots in a way. heavy bass lines and raw guitar throughout.

people will rip it just because it is U2 (without even listening to it) but the album is really good.

Anyone who has an iTunes account can just listen to it. it was automatically loaded into everyone's library.

which U2 record?
sounds like their older stuff in a lot of parts. It really harkens back and channels the days of the ramones and the clash. went back to thier roots in a way. heavy bass lines and raw guitar throughout.

people will rip it just because it is U2 (without even listening to it) but the album is really good.

Anyone who has an iTunes account can just listen to it. it was automatically loaded into everyone's library.
Its not in my library - I can only listen to it on iTunes itself...

which U2 record?

you can go to itunes store - recently purchased music - not on this iphone/ipad - various. It is sitting there.

My review seems to keep evolving, though I couldn't give the album anything higher than a B at this point.

The production is flawless, the playing is excellent throughout, and Bono's voice hasn't sounded this good in years. But I'm having problems with the songs, the strength of the hooks, and that element of playing it too safe that their last few albums have had. After two complete and focused listens, I'd say the track listing is an issue for me; I don't care for the front half of the album, but I really, really enjoy the back half. The first four songs feel very Middle of the Road—safe, overly calculated, mid-tempo, and eager to please . . . someone. Starting with track five, Iris, it starts to get good. The three-track punch of Iris, Volcano, and Raised By Wolves is my favorite sequence on the record in these early days; all three tracks remain definitive U2, but they explore the sounds of their past in ways that they hadn't before, as if they went back in time and took a different path, rather than the left turn of The Unforgettable Fire. After that phase, the album downshifts a bit for me, but Sleep Like a Baby, This is Where You Can Reach Me, and The Troubles are all good, if not quite great, after just two listens. And I will listen more.

Overall, yeah, I'd give it a B. Lyrically, and thematically, it's a look at their very early past, and an artist with their history should do that every once in a while. But, given they've recorded enough material for 4 or 5 albums since the last one, it feels a bit like they've sifted through that material to find the songs that fit together, give them a quick polish, and put it out to shut fans up while they finish Songs of Experience, which is supposedly coming out next Spring.

Last edited by a moderator:

which U2 record?

I'll rip it because of the title. I'm probably one of the bigger U2 fans here and I think they need to hire a new "Album Titler". Come on...could that be any more pretentious?

which U2 record?

you can go to itunes store - recently purchased music - not on this iphone/ipad - various. It is sitting there.
yeah this is all for free on itunes, pretty cool. I just downloaded it to my ipad.

I don't think it is has any sort of expiration on it.

nope. it is full on free. For the consumer. I can't imagine what kind of money was transferred behind the scenes between Apple and Universal.

which U2 record?

I'll rip it because of the title. I'm probably one of the bigger U2 fans here and I think they need to hire a new "Album Titler". Come on...could that be any more pretentious?
:lmao: I'll give you that. I had a first listen to the first few tracks a little bit ago. Not too shabby. :thumbup:

which U2 record?

yeah, I had to download it - I figured it should have downloaded by itself, or at least been in my iCloud storage

Very solid disc. I continue to be amazed at U2's ability to keep churning out fantastic sounds, disc after disc.

My favorite cuts at the moment - 2, 3, 5-8

Best Band in the world!! I'm so happy. Love the album. Love that there is finally new music after 5 and a half years!!

which U2 record?

Not a William Blake fan?

Big u2 fan. Listened today, didn't love it or hate it. It was just ok. I hope they tour I would live to see them a third and possibly last time

Is U2 the band with the longest tenure with all the original members? I can't think of anyone who is remotely close.
They all seem relatively comfortable with their own roles, and the roles of the band mates within the confines of the band. While none are are outspoken as Bono, they seem to not be offended by the political nature of his commentary. Obviously, musically they have had a chance to explore so many different sounds in their career, so while they have all done some solo stuff, I doubt any of them feel constrained by being part of a band with one unique sound.

Is U2 the band with the longest tenure with all the original members? I can't think of anyone who is remotely close.
They all seem relatively comfortable with their own roles, and the roles of the band mates within the confines of the band. While none are are outspoken as Bono, they seem to not be offended by the political nature of his commentary. Obviously, musically they have had a chance to explore so many different sounds in their career, so while they have all done some solo stuff, I doubt any of them feel constrained by being part of a band with one unique sound.
Apparently they do rein Bono in though. They won't let him go too far in any one direction. For instance there has been a lot of resistance to songs that are overly politically preachy or overly religious.

The liner notes, which are also part of the download, offer an interesting perspective into the beginnings of U2 - being drawn to bands like The Ramones, and The Clash, and a bit of a personal perspective from Bono, about growing up in Ireland, and the loss of his mother.

which U2 record?
sounds like their older stuff in a lot of parts. It really harkens back and channels the days of the ramones and the clash. went back to thier roots in a way. heavy bass lines and raw guitar throughout. people will rip it just because it is U2 (without even listening to it) but the album is really good.

Cool, thanks for posting this. Didn't even know I had it.

Agree that U2 is going to get a bad rap from certain people no matter what, b/c they're U2. I really enjoy their entire collection, but wouldn't consider myself a die hard. Listened to this new one a few times and I'm digging it.

Rush.....LOL. 40 plus years and still going strong.

Going to give the album a listen today. I have always been a U2 fan. I have enjoyed all the releases that came after the 2 album sink hole known as Zooropa and Pop.

My top albums are

1. Achtung Baby

2. The Joshua Tree

3. The Unforgettable Fire

4. War

5. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb

No Line On The Horizon and All That You Can't Leave Behind are also very solid efforts IMO.

Neil Peart is not an original Rush member, but he joined before the tour for their first record, so he is all but an original member. I think ZZ Top is the only band still going with the original members with longer tenure than U2.

Ghost Rider said:
Neil Peart is not an original Rush member, but he joined before the tour for their first record, so he is all but an original member. I think ZZ Top is the only band still going with the original members with longer tenure than U2.
Technicality!!!!

I cry foul.

My review seems to keep evolving, though I couldn't give the album anything higher than a B at this point.

The production is flawless, the playing is excellent throughout, and Bono's voice hasn't sounded this good in years. But I'm having problems with the songs, the strength of the hooks, and that element of playing it too safe that their last few albums have had. After two complete and focused listens, I'd say the track listing is an issue for me; I don't care for the front half of the album, but I really, really enjoy the back half. The first four songs feel very Middle of the Road—safe, overly calculated, mid-tempo, and eager to please . . . someone. Starting with track five, Iris, it starts to get good. The three-track punch of Iris, Volcano, and Raised By Wolves is my favorite sequence on the record in these early days; all three tracks remain definitive U2, but they explore the sounds of their past in ways that they hadn't before, as if they went back in time and took a different path, rather than the left turn of The Unforgettable Fire. After that phase, the album downshifts a bit for me, but Sleep Like a Baby, This is Where You Can Reach Me, and The Troubles are all good, if not quite great, after just two listens. And I will listen more.

Overall, yeah, I'd give it a B. Lyrically, and thematically, it's a look at their very early past, and an artist with their history should do that every once in a while. But, given they've recorded enough material for 4 or 5 albums since the last one, it feels a bit like they've sifted through that material to find the songs that fit together, give them a quick polish, and put it out to shut fans up while they finish Songs of Experience, which is supposedly coming out next Spring.
Iris is a fantastic track, IMO. Guitar work is very nostalgic - I can close my eyes and almost imagine that I'm back in the 80s.

Todem said:

Going to give the album a listen today. I have always been a U2 fan. I have enjoyed all the releases that came after the 2 album sink hole known as Zooropa and Pop.

My top albums are

1. Achtung Baby

2. The Joshua Tree

4. War

No Line On The Horizon and All That You Can't Leave Behind are also very solid efforts IMO.
ARE YOU ####### KIDDING ME?

Zooropa was awesome - I still listen to it to this day (have the whole album on my phone). Pop - well, you have a point there although I do like Discotheque.

The two biggest flops (to me) were How to Build and Atomic Bomb (which was OK) and No Line On The Horizon (which was really bad).

Really digging this latest, though.

Thought it was really good after first listen. Liked the last 3 tracks the best : Sleep like a baby tonight, The Troubles, Volcano.

Couple tracks I was kind of indifferent to, overall liked it quite a bit.

My top albums are

1. Achtung Baby

2. The Joshua Tree

4. War

ARE YOU ####### KIDDING ME?

Zooropa was awesome - I still listen to it to this day (have the whole album on my phone). Pop - well, you have a point there although I do like Discotheque.

The two biggest flops (to me) were How to Build and Atomic Bomb (which was OK) and No Line On The Horizon (which was really bad).

Really digging this latest, though.
Different strokes for different folks. Coming off the brilliant and very best album they ever made (imo) Achtung baby, Zooropa and Pop reeked of pompus wanna be techno babble. Over produced and no soul.

Achtung Baby was an amazing sonic feast. It had the tech like nuances without going overboard, the cold, dark feel of the German mess hall they recorded most of the album, and without a doubt for me personally the best collection of U2 songs ever recorded front to back.

Thus far I have listened to the new album 2 times. I think track 4,5,6,7 and 8 are the true strength of the album. The first 3 songs are forgettable, safe attempts at pop rock...something I never thought U2 were good at (see Zooropa and Pop). Like another poster pointed out they have gone back to some roots here before the path started anew on The Unforgettable Fire (which I loved as the 3 album run of Fire, Joshua and Achtung was U2 at their creative peak).

It's a decent record, but nothing charting any new ground for the band. Sonicaly it is a treat. I just wish the songs were better. I look forward to their next release which I hope is more challenging and rewarding with repeated listens.

As far as your assessment of Atomic Bomb and No Line.....could not disagree anymore. Atomic Bomb has some instant classic U2 songs in Miracle Drug, Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, City Of Blinding Lights and Crumbs From Your Table.

No Line On The Horizon really went back to some Achtung Baby Roots in many spots Songs like the title track, Magnificent, Moment Of Surrender, Unknown Caller, I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Crazy Tonight and White as Snow.

Great U2 albums....and both of those I can say are far better than this new release. Songs of Innocence does not feel fully realized at all. Some really cool moments on tracks 4-8...but not much else....but it's only been 2 listens.

No Line took me 4-5 listens and then I was fully into it and to this day I still love that record.

Hey it's subjective....I am sure there are U2 fans who swear by Pop!!!

I didn't like Zooropa at all for a long time, but I've come around to liking it, although the material is spotty. The title track, Stay, the live version of Lemon, and Dirty Day are all really good.

Pop sounds overdone, and the fact that the band had to hurry the finish of it since they had already announced their tour dates hurt the end product, but there is still a certain charm to it. I like it, even though it is majorly flawed.

No Line on the Horizon has some great stuff, but the sound is horrible. The loudness wars have hurt the sound of way too many CDs in the 21st century, and this one is one of the worst offenders. It's like the sound is being suffocated by the mix, instead of it being allowed to breathe. Whomever signed off on it being released like that should be punched in the nads.

All That You Can't Leave Behind and How to Dismantle... were similar for me: a few really good/great songs, a handful of good songs, and a few throwaway songs. Good, solid records.

Upon further listening, it is pretty good. There are some sure clunkers on here, but also more than a few songs that will sound great inserted into their touring setlist.

Users who are viewing this thread