What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Romo possibly hurt again (1 Viewer)

Courtweeks87

Footballguy
I have no links and am taking this with a grain of salt at the moment. I have seen a couple posts on twitter that Romo was hurt again and then he missed practice today. I Know it's probably a veterans day off. Just wondering if anyone else has heard anything that would substantiate this? What happens to dez if romo goes down? Murray? Thoughts?

It's not unusual for romo to take days off during the regular season. He did it a lot last season. I wouldn't read too much into it. On another note the Cowboys offensive line is legit so the biggest concern with Murray is can he stay healthy.

ProFootballTalk.com - NFL News and Updates
There were whispers on Monday that Tony Romo is injured again. We couldn't corroborate them. He didn't practice Wednesday (back).
Tim MacMahon - ESPNDallas.com, Sportswriter
Tony Romo on back tightness: "It's gonna pop up. I'm sure it'll happen throughout the rest of the season. You'll see a day here or there."
Charean Williams - NFL Reporter
Tony Romo says he sat out Wednesday's practice just as a precaution. He says he will be back tomorrow.
Calvin Watkins - ESPNDallas.com, Cowboys Beat Writer
Tony Romo did not practice due to tightness in his back.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that line looks like back in the early 90s just let them maul the defense and Murray has the vision and patience I see him finishing top 3 if he holds up all year

I know that line looks like back in the early 90s just let them maul the defense and Murray has the vision and patience I see him finishing top 3 if he holds up all year
Um no...No it does not. No line looks like that early 90's Cowboys line...ever.

It's not unusual for romo to take days off during the regular season. He did it a lot last season. I wouldn't read too much into it. On another note the Cowboys offensive line is legit so the biggest concern with Murray is can he stay healthy.
He typically takes Sunday and Monday off though.

Romo is 34 and he's got a bad back and he's been erratic in turning the ball over at crucial moments in games.

Jerry Jones has openly pined for Johnny Manziel.

This week NFL draft guru Rich Gosselin made this suggestion to Cleveland Browns GM Ray Farmer:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-cowboys/headlines/20140908-gosselin-if-i-m-cleveland-browns-i-m-calling-jerry-jones-today-and-offering-johnny-manziel.ece

Gosselin: If I'm Cleveland Browns, I'm calling Jerry Jones today and offering Johnny Manziel
Dallas can't 'groom' 32 year old Brandon Weeden to be their future QB so if Romo is hurting and aging to the point he's missing mid-week practice... I dunno. Gosselin seems to dialed-in and this isn't a far-fetched suggestion especially if Brian Hoyer continues to play good nuff and if Romo struggles on the field or is ailing with a bad back.

Romo Sits Out With Back Tightness; Still 'Good To Go'
While sitting out of practice became a normal procedure for Tony Romo during training camp this year, Wednesday was the first time in the regular season the Cowboys have held a practice without their starting quarterback.

Tightness in his back popped up in between a morning walk-through and the late-morning practice. Romo did not practice, but said he plans on returning by Thursday and will be on hand for the rest of the week. And certainly, he’s expecting to start once again Sunday in St. Louis.

By having surgery last December to repair a herniated disk, Romo knows the attention that has been placed on this injury and his rehab. With every pass that isn’t a tight spiral, or an underthrown ball, Romo’s back injury becomes a topic of conversation.

While the tightness is something new – at least for the regular season – it doesn’t seem to be an issue with which Romo is concerned.

“It’s going to happen. It’s going to pop up. I’m sure it’ll happen throughout the rest of the season,” Romo said on Wednesday. “You’ll see a day here or there. It’s the same as the arm. Sometimes your arm gets … you know. It’s just obviously more talked about because of having surgery on the back.

“You play this game. It’s a very violent, physical game, and you throw the ball a lot and you do all of these things. Sometimes it’s just that tightness stuff comes up. You prefer obviously to do everything 100 percent of the time, but you can’t always do that. I’ll be fine. I’ll be good to go tomorrow.”

Romo also said the tightness wasn’t exactly bad enough to keep him off the field, making the decision to sit out more precautionary.

“I think the tightness just happens based off volume of things you’ve done. Obviously a lot of throwing we’ve done over the last few weeks. That part of it. And then just wanting to have the ability to always make sure that you feel good going into the rest of the week. I’ll be back tomorrow. I’m good to go.”

While Wednesday’s practice is typically the day for installing the upcoming game plan, Romo said the meetings and walk-through still provide him with enough time and exposure to get ready for the Rams.

“Wednesday is a lot of our run game stuff. The installation part of it, though, you have that stuff down before you go out on the field,” Romo said. “It’s not like you’re just catching on when you’re out there. I’ve had plenty of meetings and communication and walk-throughs.”

Is it me or does it seem like Romo hasn't really been taking deep shots this year down field like he normally would? He missed Terrance Williams wide open down the field to throw to a triple covered Dez and that's the first thing that came to my mind during the niners game was his back must not be 100%

As a Cowboys fan I wish we had this O-line several years ago. Im wondering if it's too late for Romo to take advantage of.

He's fine. A bad back usually heals quickly with a heating pad and a couple Alleve, plus Romo's only 34. High-end QB1 with upside IMO.

He's fine. A bad back usually heals quickly with a heating pad and a couple Alleve, plus Romo's only 34. High-end QB1 with upside IMO.
no dude. Way off.More like 34 year old with back of 45 year old with no strength to get balls down field to WRs. With same erratic nature. Equals coaches and staff concentrating on their line to protect Romo and pound the ball to take load off tony and terrible D.

Romo is a low end 1 and that's being generous. Think he's driving the bus Dilfer style right now.

no dude. Way off.More like 34 year old with back of 45 year old with no strength to get balls down field to WRs. With same erratic nature. Equals coaches and staff concentrating on their line to protect Romo and pound the ball to take load off tony and terrible D.

Romo is a low end 1 and that's being generous. Think he's driving the bus Dilfer style right now.
I think he's faking it, so opposing defenses will focus on stopping the run. Then once they play some better teams, BLAMMO he unleashes the RomoCannon.

dschuler said:
Is it me or does it seem like Romo hasn't really been taking deep shots this year down field like he normally would? He missed Terrance Williams wide open down the field to throw to a triple covered Dez and that's the first thing that came to my mind during the niners game was his back must not be 100%
He hasn't been. I was reading the other day that someone in the media had fielded the same thought and that Romo had explained it as having not so much to do with his back as with his foot placement and the rotation of his hips required to make those turns and deep shots down the field.

There aren't many examples to look at this year but if you go back to last year, you can definitely see a difference where he does not look as fluid snapping his torso back around.

To me, I would think that IS connected to the back but have to also realize it could very well be rust and footwork and maybe a lack of strength at this point (not so much a back "problem" but just getting back to it).

At any rate, the COwboys seem to have done a good job with this line they have put together and may not need to throw 45 times a game right now but they have some teams on their schedule you have to imagine have the opportunity to be high throwing games.

Romo, over the past several years, has been sneaky good top QB material. Always overlooked but generally good for a top 10-12 finish with a few huge games. Now I think he is more likely to be a solid guy you don't prefer as your #1 but can live with and he will toss in a couple of really good game, depending on the opponent. WIth that in mind, look at his fantasy schedule during the playoffs: Bears, Eagles, Colts. If you can get to the playoffs with him, you can win your league with him.

Hopefully you didn't draft him as your #1 QB. For any team that has him as your #2, I think you are fine, and just giving him a little time. I paired him with Cutler, and feel good about his prospects later on in the year.

I see you have never had a bad back. when it's bad it's hard just to put your socks on. and when you have a bad back, it never gets better, only worse. rest is the best cure. that and steroid injections and ultrasound therapy. but no matter what you do, it flares up again and again. at 34 years of age, Romo isn't recovering like he used to. it does not take much to tweak it. he can hurt it non-contact in practice. that's how backs go when they are already damaged.

Yeah, last thing I would do is gamble my season on Romo being clutch in December.
You are confusing media-driven reality with fantasy football.

Last week in the money weeks (15 and 16), he was #10. Ahead of Luck, Cutler, Ryan, Newton, Wilson, Stafford.

Behind only Manning, Foles, Dalton, Brees and a couple of guys nobody would draft as guys they wanted leafing their playoff fantasy teams (Alex Smith, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Matt Flynn).

Just because the real-life Cowboys have December struggles doesn't mean Romo can't carry you.

I see you have never had a bad back. when it's bad it's hard just to put your socks on. and when you have a bad back, it never gets better, only worse. rest is the best cure. that and steroid injections and ultrasound therapy. but no matter what you do, it flares up again and again. at 34 years of age, Romo isn't recovering like he used to. it does not take much to tweak it. he can hurt it non-contact in practice. that's how backs go when they are already damaged.
While you are saying things that might be true to a lot of people, it doesn't mean it's true to all and to athletes who have the benefit of trainers and physical therapists and doctors the way they do and to Romo, specifically.

You or I may tear an ACL playing Tennis and then MIGHT be pretty close to what we were after a year and a half. These guys are back in 6-9 months. If you or I get our necks smashed up, we are avoiding pot holes on the street the rest of our lives. Guys like Manning and Bradshaw just get back out there and do as good as they ever were.

Your statement is true in general but I wouldn't let the general thought form my opinion on Tony Romo specifically.

While you are saying things that might be true to a lot of people, it doesn't mean it's true to all and to athletes who have the benefit of trainers and physical therapists and doctors the way they do and to Romo, specifically.

You or I may tear an ACL playing Tennis and then MIGHT be pretty close to what we were after a year and a half. These guys are back in 6-9 months. If you or I get our necks smashed up, we are avoiding pot holes on the street the rest of our lives. Guys like Manning and Bradshaw just get back out there and do as good as they ever were.

Your statement is true in general but I wouldn't let the general thought form my opinion on Tony Romo specifically.
Agree that athletes are on another level than you or I. That they get the very best treatment that money can buy. I have a seriously messed up back, have been to multiple top notch back surgeons, including the same Doc that handles the Buccaneers. The jist of all my conversations with him are that back pain management is an inexact science and remedies and corrective actions vary from patient to patient. But the main thing I got from all that was that there really is no way to improve a back to its earlier condition. You just live with the flare ups and wince through the pain. Get treatment, rinse/repeat. Doc never said it would be 100% again, and never promised the flare ups would go away either.

Now back to Romo, what I notice is he doesn't seem to have the arm strength he had before. I don't think it has anything to do with his arm perse. It may be he just can't torque his body on the follow thru. I'd imagine the trainers have him on a core strengthing program, because that's what really helps stabilize bad backs.

Sorry, thought my sarcasm was clear there. I should know better, given some of the whoppers that get slung around in here with regularity.Yeah, it's well known that back issues tend to be chronic and debilitating and 34 is getting old in football. I took Romo off my board this year.

Yeah, last thing I would do is gamble my season on Romo being clutch in December.
You are confusing media-driven reality with fantasy football. Last week in the money weeks (15 and 16), he was #10. Ahead of Luck, Cutler, Ryan, Newton, Wilson, Stafford.

Behind only Manning, Foles, Dalton, Brees and a couple of guys nobody would draft as guys they wanted leafing their playoff fantasy teams (Alex Smith, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Matt Flynn).

Just because the real-life Cowboys have December struggles doesn't mean Romo can't carry you.
Yeah, I was starting Fitz. Romo was clearly ####ting the bed by then and I wanted better than #10 in the playoffs.

Sorry, thought my sarcasm was clear there. I should know better, given some of the whoppers that get slung around in here with regularity.Yeah, it's well known that back issues tend to be chronic and debilitating and 34 is getting old in football. I took Romo off my board this year.
sorry, my sarcasm meter is in the shop today.

Watching his play the last two weeks, I felt I had no option but to go pick up Kirk Cousins or Geno Smith this week as backups. There are certainly red flags with his performance.

Okay maybe I'm just so used to seeing god awful lines Dallas has had over the last 15 years I am over excited!
It may not be the 90s line but it ain't that far. Watch the replays of runs where the guards pull and drive downfield. You'll see huge athletic big men just engulfing the defensive players. After the whistle the defenders are all slower to get up then the Oline.

Pass protection is still a work in progress but the running aspect is just mauling folks.

Plus having 300+ pound men toss him around and drive him into the ground on Sundays is like getting free back massages (which are also good for you when you have a bad back).

dschuler said:
WIth that in mind, look at his fantasy schedule during the playoffs: Bears, Eagles, Colts. If you can get to the playoffs with him, you can win your league with him.
We're talking about the same guy that chokes and wilts past November?

I have him as a QB1 in two leagues. Coming into the season, I was locked in on Ryan, Romo and Cutler being extremely solid and reliable. I'm 2 for 3 and own the one I was wrong on. :rant:

Forget Johnny Football, I'd like to see the Cowboys pickup RGIII. I think he's a great fit for that offense and a read option with DeMarco would be nasty.

I think he's faking it, so opposing defenses will focus on stopping the run. Then once they play some better teams, BLAMMO he unleashes the RomoCannon.
I like your use of the word "BLAMMO".

dschuler said:
WIth that in mind, look at his fantasy schedule during the playoffs: Bears, Eagles, Colts. If you can get to the playoffs with him, you can win your league with him.
We're talking about the same guy that chokes and wilts past November?
Again, don't confuse reality and fantasy. He was top 10. I know everyone wants top 2-3 guys but if you have a TEAM that got you to the ff playoffs, you can be fine with ROmo in those matchups.

Okay maybe I'm just so used to seeing god awful lines Dallas has had over the last 15 years I am over excited!
It may not be the 90s line but it ain't that far. Watch the replays of runs where the guards pull and drive downfield. You'll see huge athletic big men just engulfing the defensive players. After the whistle the defenders are all slower to get up then the Oline.

Pass protection is still a work in progress but the running aspect is just mauling folks.
I know we are tongue in cheek and kidding here but go back and watch that line from the 90's. That was other-wordly.

I have him as a QB1 in two leagues. Coming into the season, I was locked in on Ryan, Romo and Cutler being extremely solid and reliable. I'm 2 for 3 and own the one I was wrong on. :rant:

Forget Johnny Football, I'd like to see the Cowboys pickup RGIII. I think he's a great fit for that offense and a read option with DeMarco would be nasty.
Vomit

Is there any report that Romo is actually hurt again? If not can we either change the title or talk about Romo's prospects in another thread?

Tony Romo (back) returned to Cowboys practice on Thursday.
Romo sat out Wednesday with "tightness" in his surgically-repaired back, but it's not a concern for his Week 3 status. Still rounding into form as the Cowboys go run heavy, Romo is on the QB1 borderline against the Rams. Sep 18 - 1:48 PM

He should already be doing this, isn't Murray the leading rusher in the NFL?

Users who are viewing this thread