What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2012 SF Giants Thread (1 Viewer)

Eephus

Footballguy
Key offseason issues #1:

Apparently the top priority is locking down the left side of the bullpen because Sabean just committed $13.5M to left handed relief. I can see exercising Affeldt's option or signing Javier Lopez to an extension but $9.25M for 100 innings in 2012 seems like mild overpayment at best, a misreading of priorities at worst. Lopez and Affeldt are both good on the mound and in the clubhouse but neither can get on base or drive in runs.

Maybe the team is going to spend their championship windfall and increase payroll but that's not what they're saying publicly. They're both classic Sabean moves: pay aging vets for their past performance rather than what they're going to produce during the contract. He's like a drunk at the bar buying drinks for his old cronies until he runs out of money and has to stumble home to his poor ugly offense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Key offseason issue #2Find another mediocre CF to replace Aaron Rowand.

The Kansas City Royals have traded outfielder Melky Cabrera to the San Francisco Giants for left-hander Jonathan Sanchez and another minor league pitcher.Sanchez was the Giants' best pitcher during the latter part of 2010, when they beat the Texas Rangers to win the World Series. But he was just 4-7 with a 4.26 ERA this season before missing the final month with a left ankle sprain.Cabrera hit a career-best .305 with 44 doubles, 18 homers and 87 RBIs in his first season with the Royals. By dealing him to San Francisco, Kansas City opens up a spot in its outfielder for hotshot prospect Lorenzo Cain, who hit .312 at Triple-A Omaha this season. The Royals also get left-hander Ryan Verdugo in the deal. He was 8-6 with a 4.35 ERA for Double-A Richmond this year.
Sabean hasn't quite grasped the whole "buy low, sell high" aspect of trading but then again, he's only been GM for 15 years.

You think Sanchez could have commanded a higher price on the trade market? There is little room for a guy who walks the team picture, when you try and play small ball.

I think that is a very nice deal for SF.

You think Sanchez could have commanded a higher price on the trade market? There is little room for a guy who walks the team picture, when you try and play small ball.I think that is a very nice deal for SF.
I didn't have a lot of illusions about J. Sanchez' trade value. He's a maddening guy to watch work. This organization knows pitching and if they're ready to cut bait, I'll trust them on that one.Melky isn't that good. His three years preceding acquistion (OPS+ = 93, 83, 121) are very similar to the three years Rowand had before Sabean signed him (OPS+ = 93, 86, 124). Rowand immediately settled back into his normal level in SF. I predict a similar fate for Melky.

I don't mind the deal. A flawed pitcher for a flawed, cheaper hitter. I'll take the hitter and the cash at this point if I'm the Giants.

Melky isn't that good. His three years preceding acquistion (OPS+ = 93, 83, 121) are very similar to the three years Rowand had before Sabean signed him (OPS+ = 93, 86, 124). Rowand immediately settled back into his normal level in SF. I predict a similar fate for Melky.
Oof. I liked the deal till I read those stats.Eephus, little hard on Sabean, eh?

Melky isn't that good. His three years preceding acquistion (OPS+ = 93, 83, 121) are very similar to the three years Rowand had before Sabean signed him (OPS+ = 93, 86, 124). Rowand immediately settled back into his normal level in SF. I predict a similar fate for Melky.
Oof. I liked the deal till I read those stats.Eephus, little hard on Sabean, eh?
I'm overcompensating for taking a year off from criticizing Sabean.

Key offseason issue #3Make amends with alleged murderers

The Giants have added former top prospect Angel Villalona to their 40-man roster. Villalona, who received a club-record $2.1 million signing bonus as a 16-year-old in 2006, hasn’t played professionally in over two years after being accused of killing a 25-year-old man in a Dominican Republic nightclub in September of 2009. Charges were eventually dismissed as part of a $139,000 settlement with the victim’s family, but Villalona sued the Giants for $5 million earlier this summer claiming they violated the terms of his contract following his arrest. After the two sides settled the lawsuit in September, the Giants were prepared to welcome him back in the organization. Villalona is currently at the Giants’ complex in the Dominican working his way into baseball shape, but he isn’t completely out of the woods yet. While Giants president of baseball operations Bobby Evans told Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News that he was removed from the restricted list about a month ago, he is still awaiting a work visa to return to the United States.
He's had two full years off and had contact issues before going away. I don't think a visa is a cinch and now he can't use being young for his minor league level as an excuse. It won't bother me when Villalona is out of the Giants organization.

Lincecum, Cain and Bumgarner. They are built to win now. Why not make a run at Fielder and get a guy who can hit anywhere?

Key off-season issue #4 - Appoint Brian Sabean General Manager for life

The Giants executed a pair of long-anticipated moves Tuesday by extending the contracts of general manager Brian Sabean and manager Bruce Bochy through 2013 with club options for 2014.The moves maintained the continuity that the Giants have enjoyed in their baseball operations department. Sabean, entering his 16th season in his position, is the longest tenured active general manager in the Major Leagues.Bochy, who piloted the San Diego Padres for 12 years before joining the Giants prior to the 2007 season, approaches his 18th consecutive season as a manager -- more than any of his counterparts, now that St. Louis' Tony La Russa has retired.

Lincecum, Cain and Bumgarner. They are built to win now. Why not make a run at Fielder and get a guy who can hit anywhere?
Ownership won't budge off of a $130M payroll with 19 to Zito and 12 to Rowand. I gotta think ownership is killing it financially. Be nice to see a big ticket, but Sabean said today "No big ticket signings this year"Eephus--I thought of you when the signings were announced :lol:

Ownership won't budge off of a $130M payroll with 19 to Zito and 12 to Rowand. I gotta think ownership is killing it financially. Be nice to see a big ticket, but Sabean said today "No big ticket signings this year"Eephus--I thought of you when the signings were announced :lol:
You've already had a great off-season when your big free agent signings are Zito and Rowand.

Key off-season issue #5: Trade a CF for a CF

The Mets agreed to send Angel Pagan to the San Francisco Giants for fellow center fielder Andres Torres and reliever Ramon Ramirez
I suppose Pagan is an upgrade over Torres, even based on their respective 2010 form. Torres is a likeable guy and was a nice story but it's pretty clear he was playing over his head during SF's championship season. I hope he experiences a revival in Queens. Similarly, Ramirez is coming off a great 1 1/2 stretch for the Giants, although I never had a lot of confidence in him. I would have hoped he'd bring a better trade return since the RP market is crazy again this year.Now the Giants have a full OF (well they had a full OF with Torres too) plus Huff, Belt and the potential of Gary Brown late in the year. They look to be out of the market for Beltran. The book is closed on his Giants career with 179 PAs against 7 years worth of Zack Wheeler. It was a defensible trade at the time it was made but it doesn't look so smart now Brian. At least they'll get compensation picks next year.

Giants ace Lincecum asks for $21.5 million

By JANIE McCAULEY AP Baseball Writer

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) Giants ace Tim Lincecum asked for $21.5 million in salary arbitration Tuesday and was offered $17 million by the club.

The two-time NL Cy Young Award winner's request neared the record amount sought in arbitration. Houston pitcher Roger Clemens asked for $22 million in 2005.

San Francisco's offer was the highest in arbitration history, topping the $14.25 million theNew York Yankees proposed for shortstop Derek Jeter in 2001.

"I'm overall optimistic that we'll find common ground without a hearing room," Bobby Evans, Giants vice president of baseball operations, said before seeing Lincecum's filing numbers. "It's a process that begins long before today in terms of conversations about possible deals that work for both sides. That process has continued in a mutual fashion. At this point we haven't reached a conclusion."

Lincecum, the winning pitcher in the Game 5 World Series clincher at Texas in 2010, earned $13.1 million last season and completed a two-year deal worth $23.2 million.

San Francisco's front office would like to lock up the 27-year-old Lincecum and fellow starter Matt Cain on longterm deals. Lincecum seems set on keeping his options open in the near future on a shorter contract.

"We know we'll at least have a one-year deal," Evans said. "I can't really predict where it will end up. In this process your two parties are always filing to try to come to a midpoint. The negotiation is really about the midpoint."

With Lincecum earning a hefty contract, Evans joked, "I usually leave off the final three zeroes because it's easier to calculate."

If the past is any indication, the sides will do their best to reach agreement before spring training and before an arbitration hearing.

In February 2010, Lincecum agreed to a $23 million, two-year contract ahead of the scheduled hearing. He had been set at that time to ask for $13 million.

That last contract was quite a raise for the undersized, hard-throwing pitcher his teammates call "Franchise" and "Freak" after he earned $650,000 in 2009.

"We're looking at different player contracts that give us an idea where we think Tim should be," Evans said. "There is not ever a player that's exactly like the one you have. Ultimately there is only one guy that looks just like him."

Lincecum - the 10th overall draft pick out of Washington in 2006 - has been an All-Star in each of the past four seasons. He went 13-14 with a 2.74 ERA last year for his first losing record. The Giants scored no runs while he was in the game in seven of 33 starts, had one run six times and two runs five times, according to STATS LLC.

Also Tuesday, the Giants reached one-year agreements to avoid arbitration with outfielders Melky Cabrera and Nate Schierholtz and reliever Santiago Casilla.

Cabrera agreed to a $6 million deal.

San Francisco, which sold out every game in 2011 but missed the playoffs, will have a payroll of around $130 million.

"Obviously the revenue that has been generated by our ownership and the support of our fans here makes the payroll level we have possible," Evans said. "We don't take that for granted. We know that with that kind of payroll comes responsibility and expectation."

Two-time NL Cy Young Award winner Tim Lincecum and the San Francisco Giants reached a verbal agreement Tuesday on a two-year contract worth $40.5 million.The deal includes a $500,000 signing bonus and salaries of $18 million this year and $22 million in 2013, a person familiar with the agreement said Tuesday, speaking on condition of anonymity because the terms were not announced.
The deal is just for his arbitration years but there's always the possibility of an extension happening between now and when he's eligible for free agency. Zito will finally be off the books by then except for his $7M 2014 contract buyout :bag:

Good line from McCC

Anyone can write a 10,000-word essay on the 2010 season, but they could also just write "Cody Ross", drop the mic, and let you write the essay in your own head.
Thanks for the memories Cody

It's time for Sabean's annual shortstop dumpster dive. For 2012, he's fished out Ryan Theriot for somewhere between $1.25M and $2M depending on incentives. It's not a terrible deal which says a lot about the general state of Giants' SS.

Clay Hensley signed too. He's just an arm but I'll always remember his Sept 2010 closing stint for Florida.

It's time for Sabean's annual shortstop dumpster dive. For 2012, he's fished out Ryan Theriot for somewhere between $1.25M and $2M depending on incentives. It's not a terrible deal which says a lot about the general state of Giants's SS
Where is Johnnie LeMaster when you need him?

It's time for Sabean's annual shortstop dumpster dive. For 2012, he's fished out Ryan Theriot for somewhere between $1.25M and $2M depending on incentives. It's not a terrible deal which says a lot about the general state of Giants's SS
Where is Johnnie LeMaster when you need him?
Johnnie Disaster is good people. :thumbup:I think Theriot is better than what we put out there last year :bag:

Matt Cain: Five year extension through 2017 for $112.5M with a 2018 vesting option
I love Cain but that seems pretty steep in years and cash. Seems Zito-ish to me. Maybe that's the new market rate, though. Foregone conclusion that Lincecum is gone ehen his deal is up, right? I'm figuring that the Giants will have gotten his best years, and theres no way they can drop 40-50 million a year on 2 SPs.

Matt Cain: Five year extension through 2017 for $112.5M with a 2018 vesting option
I love Cain but that seems pretty steep in years and cash. Seems Zito-ish to me. Maybe that's the new market rate, though. Foregone conclusion that Lincecum is gone ehen his deal is up, right? I'm figuring that the Giants will have gotten his best years, and theres no way they can drop 40-50 million a year on 2 SPs.
Seems like Lincecum is determined to test the free agent waters. Which probably increased the urgency around the Cain deal.I'm really of two minds regarding Cain's contract. Five years added on is a long time for a pitcher but seems to be the going length for multi-year pitcher deals. Cain will be 32 during his out year so it's not like paying a guy into his late 30s. He's never been uber-elite but has been a consistent workhorse. I worry about the number of innings on his arm but he doesn't have an injury history. Advanced pitching stats don't like him; he seems like the epitome of a situational pitcher. If you believe that's a talent in itself, it's probably one that would age well. On the other hand, is his margin for error so fine that he'll be useless if he loses a little bit of his stuff and command? I can go around and around on this and probably will for the next six years. As for now, I'm glad management is spending some of their loot and hoping for the best.

Wilson looked like anything but solid tonight in closing out the Rockies. Who will take over closing duties if he loses the job? I own Romo, but another owner in the league seems to think they will turn to Santiago Casilla before Romo.

Wilson looked like anything but solid tonight in closing out the Rockies. Who will take over closing duties if he loses the job? I own Romo, but another owner in the league seems to think they will turn to Santiago Casilla before Romo.
Wilson hurt his ankle today. He's not available Friday. Maybe that will provide a clue about Boch's direction.

Casilla got the chances last year while Wilson was down....

Any reason to keep beating my head against a wall w/ BBelt in leagues with no bench?
Glad to see the Giants show so much patience with him.A whopping 11 at-bats and he's relegated to the bench. What a waste of $17 in my NL-only 4x4 auction.

But that was because Romo was hurt at the same time.Tonight, in a tie game, in the 8th inning, they brought in Casilla. He would not have been there had there been a possible save chance in the 9th.Yes, I own Romo and I am praying he gets the job. :)

But that was because Romo was hurt at the same time.

Tonight, in a tie game, in the 8th inning, they brought in Casilla. He would not have been there had there been a possible save chance in the 9th.

Yes, I own Romo and I am praying he gets the job. :)
:confused: If Romo was hurt, then how did he get Holds in 3 of Casilla's 6 saves last year?

Tonight, in a tie game, in the 8th inning, they brought in Casilla. He would not have been there had there been a possible save chance in the 9th.

:confused: If Romo was hurt, then how did he get Holds in 3 of Casilla's 6 saves last year?
Romo was hurt when Casilla first got the job, when Romo returned Bochy didn't want to fix something that wasn't broke so he left Casilla in the 9th and slid Romo into the 8th.After seeing how Casilla was used last night I'm backing off a bit on my Casilla stance, but this is still a very fluid situation.

Romo was hurt when Casilla first got the job, when Romo returned Bochy didn't want to fix something that wasn't broke so he left Casilla in the 9th and slid Romo into the 8th.After seeing how Casilla was used last night I'm backing off a bit on my Casilla stance, but this is still a very fluid situation.
What he said. :) I am not saying that I think Casilla shouldnt, or even wont be the closer. I just hopoe they promote the 8th inning guy to be the 9th inning guy. :)

Five year extension for Bumgarner including options on his first two free agency years. Total value is $35/$40M depending on his Super Two status.

Brandon Crawford will probably never be much of a hitter but he's no worse offensively than the guys who've played SS recently. He puts the ball in play and has a little pop in his bat. He has four errors on defense already but I think that's a small sample size variation. He covers a lot of ground and looks pretty fundamentally sound. If Crawford can stay above the Mendoza line, he'll have some real-life value.

Brandon Crawford will probably never be much of a hitter but he's no worse offensively than the guys who've played SS recently. He puts the ball in play and has a little pop in his bat. He has four errors on defense already but I think that's a small sample size variation. He covers a lot of ground and looks pretty fundamentally sound. If Crawford can stay above the Mendoza line, he'll have some real-life value.
Sounds like Johnnie LeMaster.

LeMaster's .128/.180/.160 line for three different 100-loss ballclubs in 1985 is one of the more dubious seasons in Major League history.

LeMaster's .128/.180/.160 line for three different 100-loss ballclubs in 1985 is one of the more dubious seasons in Major League history.
How about Crawford sounds like Chris Speier?

Users who are viewing this thread