What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Smoke alarm won't stop chirping! (1 Viewer)

NeverEnough

Footballguy
Normally replacing the battery fixes this, but this time replacing the battery in all of them did nothing. These are hardwired FYI.
I replaced the detector that was the culprit, but that didn't fix it. The new detector still does the same thing. I even tried the hard reset per Firex's site with the breaker off & still changes nothing. These damn things beep even with the breaker off!!

I'm at a loss.

Check the expiration date on them. I had a similar issue and it turns out they were all old. You can try and vacuum them as sometimes dust gets into them.

My old man had the same issue. He is a tightwad so he messed around with them for a week before he ended up replcing all of them.

Good luck.

Check the expiration date on them. I had a similar issue and it turns out they were all old. You can try and vacuum them as sometimes dust gets into them.
Might want to read his post again.
I read it 3 times. You might to read mine as well. I just had a similar situation with my hard wired ones with battery backup. Turned out that they were all too old and needed to be replaced.

I had this same problem. Took forever to find out that there was a old detector between the wood ceiling and the drop ceiling. It had been put in before the basement was finished by the previous owner.

Every couple of minutes, I'd hear a chirp and swear it was coming from the room I wasn't in waiting for the chirp. There's hardwired ones in the drop ceiling that I'd replaced the battery, vacuumed, took down and unhooked completely trying to find the source. Drove me nuts.

I have this same problem actually - narrowed it down to one in the kid's rooms. Replaced that one and it was good for a little while, but now it's back. And we've had bad experiences with air horns.

brohan i think your house is probably just on fire so maybe get out of there take that to the bank brochacho

The detectors will still beep even when the hard-wired power is disconnected since they have battery back-up. Take the batteries out of all of them. Disconnect from the power. Try again.

If still beeping, at least one more of the detectors has failed. If these are CO detectors, that is likely the cause. Keep replacing them until the chirping stops.

I went through this. Turns out that detectors have a limited lifespan of maybe 10 years. Mine were programmed to chirp (and not stop) once they got too old. Hardwired together, battery backup - same situation as you. Had to replace every one of them to fix the problem. If you get the same brand, you'll have a much easier time with the wiring.

I found this stuff out in the depths of the company's FAQ/forums, so you might want to check there.

Stay with the same brand also. Hardwired detectors will probably be connected with each other so when one goes off, they all go off. They are probably ionization units which detect fast flare up fires quickly but more prone to false alarms. You may want to get a few photoelectric units with are better for smuldering fires and less prone to false alarms. You can also use a can of condensed air to clean out the detectors instead of a vacuum.

I disconnected all alarms & I still get a chirp from somewhere WTF?!
Wasn't this on an episode of Modern Family?

Phil found the old detectors in the attic!!!
ETA: Just saw Mr. Pack's post...doh.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread