What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vin Scully (1 Viewer)

timschochet

Footballguy
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/story/_/id/11283819/vin-scully-los-angeles-dodgers-return-2015-66th-season

LOS ANGELES -- The Dodgers announced Tuesday night that Hall of Fame broadcaster Vin Scully will return for his 66th season in 2015.

The team broke the news on the videoboard and its TV broadcast during the second inning of its game with the Atlanta Braves. In the bit, broadcaster Alanna Rizzo says she has some breaking news and introduces pitcher Hyun-Jin Ryu, who makes the announcement in Korean.

Then outfielder Yasiel Puig translates it into Spanish before going to infielder Justin Turner, who finally announces it in English.

On the screen, Dodger players began wildly celebrating, and at the stadium, a large crowd on Vin Scully Talking Microphone Night roared its approval.

The Dodgers then showed Scully, 86, acknowledging the crowd from the broadcast booth, holding his hand over his heart.

Scully began broadcasting Dodger games in 1950 and took over as the team's primary play-by-play man when Red Barber went to work for the New York Yankees in 1953. He accompanied the Dodgers to Los Angeles before the 1958 season. He was elected to the Hall of Fame in 1982.

"It is very difficult to say goodbye," Scully said in a statement. "God willing I will be back next year. Over the years I have been blessed to have so many friends including those that sit in the stands and listen as well as those at home, who listen and watch. It is just too hard to say goodbye to all these friends. Naturally there will come a time, when I will have to say goodbye, but I've soul-searched and this is not the time."

The team announced that Scully will continue to call all nine innings of the team's TV broadcasts on Time Warner Cable's SportsNet LA, with the first three innings of each game also simulcast on radio.

SportsNetLA is available in only around 30 percent of Southern California households because of a dispute between Time Warner cable and other providers such as DirecTV.

"I'm obviously not alone in saying that I'm overjoyed Vin will be coming back to the booth in 2015," Dodger president Stan Kasten said in a statement. "Our fans deserve the very best and Vin's voice, knowledge, experience and passion for broadcasting Dodger baseball are second to none."

I think a strong argument can be made that Vin Scully is the greatest sports broadcaster of all time. Thoughts?

I think a strong argument can be made that Vin Scully is the greatest sports broadcaster of all time. Thoughts?
Hm, no but he belongs in the conversation. Baseball seems to generate the best, maybe because of the long pauses, the proclivity for stylization, and the way memory and sounds are interwoven with the sport.

I watched a bit of the rerun of the Bills/Cowboys SB a couple weekends ago and the score got out of hand and the announcing between Madden (and Michaels? Summerall?) was just out of hand awful. It was like they were reading recipes and shopping lists or something. Great baseball announcers just get better and better as a game drags on and out of hand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Puig has a single, double and triple. Scully setting up his at bat next inning. Told a great story about Andy Messershmidt earlier, and said the Dodgers' 88 series win is being "lost to the mists of time"

Growing up in Southern California, Vin Scully and Chick Hearn were very influential in my love of sports. Even though my screen name would have you believe I am a Lakers fan, I haven't watched a single Laker game since Chick died. Dodger baseball will never be the same when Vin is gone.

Love late season when the Dodgers are in a playoff race and Scully essentially calls two games at once.

Vin Scully is an icon in sports. But I will go against the grain and say this: I can't handle more than an inning or two of him.

When the Phillies played the Dodgers in the playoffs in 2008, I spent a lot of time listening to the games on XM radio. For Dodger home games, they would use the Dodgers broadcast. His story telling is incredible, and he's definitely brilliant in the way he can weave the words together. But sometimes I felt like I was missing the game because he was too busy telling his antidotes.

Like I said, I'm fairly certain I'm in the minority, and I'm not saying I don't like the guy or respect his awesomeness. Just not my cup of tea. :shrug:

Whenever I see a headline or a topic that starts with "Vin Scully...", I always immediately assume it will be about him passing away. Him and Abe Vigoda.

Vin Scully is an icon in sports. But I will go against the grain and say this: I can't handle more than an inning or two of him.

When the Phillies played the Dodgers in the playoffs in 2008, I spent a lot of time listening to the games on XM radio. For Dodger home games, they would use the Dodgers broadcast. His story telling is incredible, and he's definitely brilliant in the way he can weave the words together. But sometimes I felt like I was missing the game because he was too busy telling his antidotes.

Like I said, I'm fairly certain I'm in the minority, and I'm not saying I don't like the guy or respect his awesomeness. Just not my cup of tea. :shrug:
Vin is a handy guy to have around if you get bitten by a snake.

Vin is a handy guy to have around if you get bitten by a snake.
Damn. That's what I get for trying to post and work at the same time.

Greatest of all-time. Not even up for discussion.
1000%

Was watching the Dodgers and Braves last night (MLB Extra Innings package rules) and it's a pleasure. Nothing like sitting back and listening to the one man show of Scully call a game. It's story time every night.

The guy is the pro's pro. No one like him. Cherish it people. I am a huge Yankee fan, but pretty much watch all the Dodgers home games too (being west coast games it works out perfectly most of the time) because of Scully. That is how fantastic he is.

I'm sure this is a typo, but it made me :lmao:

I'm sure this is a typo, but it made me :lmao:
Yes. It was a typo. It was pointed out already. When it was pointed out the first time, I actually thought he had changed it, because I was SURE I didn't write that. :bag:

I don't think antidote was a typo. He needs it for the poison he slowly contracted from having to sit through decades of Dodger baseball, let alone talk about it.

I think that is fair. At this point I think he comes across a lot better on TV.

Too many TV announcers try to tell you what you are seeing which isn't really necessary so they just become mouth breathers. Vin does a great job, IMO, of balancing out the stories and game description for a TV audience.

whenever Vin passes or stops announcing that will be so surreal. much like chick hearn i have lived my entire (almost) 40 years having that voice associated with dodgers baseball. glad to hear hes returning. he is just awesome to listen to.

Fair enough. To me Vin is the only announcer I felt NEVER missed the game while story telling. Lately he has slowed a bit due to age but I never felt he missed a pitch. Too many others get into a story or mindless rambling and 2-3 pitches go bye. Its amazingly bad.

"I don't believe what I just saw"
This wasnt Vin, it was Jack Buck. This is:

"All year long they looked to him (Kirk Gibson) to light the fire and all year long he answered the demands. High fly ball into right field. She is gone! [pause] In a year that has been so improbable, the impossible has happened."

I like Vin Scully but nobody gave me goosebumps like

."MY OH MY!"

"Swung on and BELTED!"

"FLY, FLY AWAY!"

"The throw to the plate...WILL BE LATE!!!"

Fair enough. To me Vin is the only announcer I felt NEVER missed the game while story telling. Lately he has slowed a bit due to age but I never felt he missed a pitch. Too many others get into a story or mindless rambling and 2-3 pitches go bye. Its amazingly bad.

"I don't believe what I just saw"
This wasnt Vin, it was Jack Buck. This is:

"All year long they looked to him (
Kirk Gibson) to light the fire and all year long he answered the demands. High fly ball into right field. She is gone! [pause] In a year that has been so improbable, the impossible has happened."That's right. I do remember watching that live. So amazing what Gibson did on those gimpy knees.

This was very cool to watch regarding 32 best calls in sports. They talk a lot about Buck and Vin on the the Gibson call.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/16/the-32-best-calls-in-sports-history-and-a-scully-vs-buck-debate/

Growing up in Southern California, Vin Scully and Chick Hearn were very influential in my love of sports. Even though my screen name would have you believe I am a Lakers fan, I haven't watched a single Laker game since Chick died. Dodger baseball will never be the same when Vin is gone.
I miss both and are reminded how good you guys have it in LA when I watch a Tigers game. The announcers here are the worst I have heard anyplace.

the Kirk Gibson call
Just watched this and got chills. One of the great methods of the greats is just shut up and let the crowd do the talking. You can hear the excitement in Vin's voice just like he's in the crowd telling you what's happening on a phone as it's happening and then he's quiet as he soaks it in with everyone else.

A great call from a great.

I didn't hear the Kirk Gibson call because I was there. All I could here were the cheers.
What other possible thing could you hear at that point?
Just watched this and got chills. One of the great methods of the greats is just shut up and let the crowd do the talking. You can hear the excitement in Vin's voice just like he's in the crowd telling you what's happening on a phone as it's happening and then he's quiet as he soaks it in with everyone else.

Why did you quote my post? Your post had nothing to do with my point.

I didn't hear the Kirk Gibson call because I was there. All I could here were the cheers.

There fixed above.

I thought you were commenting on how loud it was, and my point was just that Vin let that be heard on the broadcast. That's all. Maybe you were saying something else.

There fixed above.

I thought you were commenting on how loud it was, and my point was just that Vin let that be heard on the broadcast. That's all. Maybe you were saying something else.
Stupid Tim was saying that he was at the game, and that "all he could hear were the cheers." That's utterly obvious.

The windup and the 2-2 pitch.....oh, no sir, wait a minute! The batter is calling for time. Looks like he's going and getting himself a new bat. And now there's a beach ball on the field. And the ball boys are discussing which one of them is gonna go get it.

Users who are viewing this thread