What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****Unofficial FBG Baseball play-ins thread***** (2 Viewers)

Eephus

Footballguy
TUESDAY

AL wild card: A's at Royals, 8:07 p.m. ET (TBS)

Probable starters: Lester vs. Shields

WEDNESDAY

NL wild card: Giants at Pirates, 8:07 p.m. ET (ESPN)

Probable starters: Bumgarner vs Volquez

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never felt confident starting Edinson Volquez
this one looks too easy.
Why because he's Edinson Volquez? Take a look at what he's done the past 2 months (and most of the season) and take a look at what the Pirates have done at home since April. Obviously anything can happen in a one game playoff but I feel pretty confident in the Buccos. This of course is under the assumption that Martin is catching. If he's still hurt, all bets are off.

Since July 1st (15 starts), Volquez has given up more than 2 earned runs 3 times. At home, only one team has scored more than 2 ERs in that timeframe. So yes he's not Kershaw and he's definitely outperforming his peripherals this year but why are we so certain the trend will all of a sudden change in a one game sample size?

this one looks too easy.
Why because he's Edinson Volquez? Take a look at what he's done the past 2 months (and most of the season) and take a look at what the Pirates have done at home since April. Obviously anything can happen in a one game playoff but I feel pretty confident in the Buccos. This of course is under the assumption that Martin is catching. If he's still hurt, all bets are off.
thats why I said it looks too easy, looks can be deceiving.

this one looks too easy.
thats why I said it looks too easy, looks can be deceiving.
What's the line on the wild card games?

Bumgarner's been leaving a path of destruction in his wake the past couple months, and the Pirates don't hit lefties particularly well. I'd bet SF.

Would like to see KC get in for parity reasons and I'm rooting for pit so the O's game is at 3 on Friday instead of noon.

I love elimination games.

Hosmer 4th and Gordon 6th??? :loco:
Yost is not a great manager of the game. Players? Yes. The game? No.Tonight's game is set up for the Royals to win, but Yost could blow it. Yost won't know what to do if Shields needs to come out in the middle of an inning. If Shields pitching a shutout is out of the question, the next- best scenario is for Shields to get through six innings throwing 100-105 pitches, giving Yost an easy decision to bring in Herrera to pitch the 7th, Davis the 8th, and Holland the 9th.

Last edited by a moderator:
KC stole the most bases in the majors this year and ran all over Oakland, but that was before they acquired Soto. Should be interesting to see how much they test Soto's arm.

In 24 games this year, there have been 23 SB attempts on Soto, 13 were successful.
Iirc, he's thrown out 8/16 since joining Oakland. Not sure how good Lester is at holding guys on. KC took 5/7 from Oakland this year but Oakland outscored them 26-24.

That can get in base runners' heads. Lou Brock said the toughest pitcher he tried to run against was Reds lefty Don Gullett, and it was because Gullett never threw over.

Lester specifically asked to work on his pickoff move a couple weeks ago after some team ran all over Oakland (might have been KC). Wonder if he'll show off what he's been practicing.

Al Leiter's talking about Lester throwing over on MLB network right now. Lester hasn't thrown over since April of last year.

Users who are viewing this thread