What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ugh. ***OFFICIAL NLCS THREAD: SF vs. STL*** (1 Viewer)

Matheny has reached the NLCS in his first three years as manager - anywhere. That is really remarkable considering how lost some of the young managers look sometimes in the post season. His situation is different inheriting a WS team, but hats off to him nonetheless.

I think STL has the edge in talent right now, but I would take Bochy over any of the other remaining three managers left this year. He did get lucky after having Strickland pitch to Harper last night, but that is how the game goes sometimes. It was definitely the wrong move.

It should be a good series. Without even looking at matchups, I think they are all going to low scoring close games.

Looking forward to having home field advantage. Not looking forward to the inevitable Bumgarner home run after the way Greinke and Kershaw knocked around Cards pitching.

Wainwright not a lock to pitch Game 1. Tendinitis and elbow discomfort.

He couldn't throw the fastball against the Dodgers, so once they figured out it was all curves and changeups, they knocked him out of the game.

Lance Lynn is being prepped as if he will pitch Game 1 just in case.

Two good things about this matchup

- One of them will lose.

- I'll have time to catch up on The Bridge now. :wub:

Looks like Morse will be on the NLCS roster. He's been out for a month and is always an adventure in the field but Gary Brown is no great loss if Bochy won't even play him in an 18 inning game.

Is Ryan "#######" Vogelsong expected to continue pitching well above his head in the postseason? You guys looks for a way to get him three starts?

Is Ryan "#######" Vogelsong expected to continue pitching well above his head in the postseason? You guys looks for a way to get him three starts?
Career postseason ERA leaders (min 30 IP)

Code:
1. Mariano Rivera   .70   141.02. Harry Brecheen   .83    32.23. Babe Ruth        .87    31.04. Sherry Smith     .89    30.15. Sandy Koufax     .95    57.06. Christy Mathewson.97   101.27. Monte Pearson   1.01    35.28. Blue Moon Odom  1.13    39.29. Ryan Vogelsong  1.19    30.110. Eddie Plank    1.32    54.2

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Mariano Rivera .70 141.02. Harry Brecheen .83 32.23. Babe Ruth .87 31.04. Sherry Smith .89 30.15. Sandy Koufax .95 57.06. Christy Mathewson.97 101.27. Monte Pearson 1.01 35.28. Blue Moon Odom 1.13 39.29. Ryan Vogelsong 1.19 30.110. Eddie Plank 1.32 54.2
Heard the other day that his velocity is up 3 MPH from the regular season to post season, so I'm assuming the pixie dust is in full-effect at this point. He'll be peppering STL with 97 MPH pellets soon enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Mariano Rivera .70 141.02. Harry Brecheen .83 32.23. Babe Ruth .87 31.04. Sherry Smith .89 30.15. Sandy Koufax .95 57.06. Christy Mathewson.97 101.27. Monte Pearson 1.01 35.28. Blue Moon Odom 1.13 39.29. Ryan Vogelsong 1.19 30.110. Eddie Plank 1.32 54.2
That's a fantastic list.

After Vogelsong pitches his shutout in the NLCS, he's going to pass Koufax and Mathewson.

Cardinals rotation (according to Goold):

Game 1 - Wainwright

Game 2 - Lynn

Game 3 - Lackey

Game 4 - Miller

That's a fantastic list.

After Vogelsong pitches his shutout in the NLCS, he's going to pass Koufax and Mathewson.
Sherry Smith lost a 13 1/3 inning complete game for Brooklyn in the 1916 World Series. Babe Ruth went 14 IP for Boston to get the win but at least Smith could tell his grandkids he held Ruth to an 0-5 day.

That's a fantastic list.After Vogelsong pitches his shutout in the NLCS, he's going to pass Koufax and Mathewson.
Sherry Smith lost a 13 1/3 inning complete game for Brooklyn in the 1916 World Series. Babe Ruth went 14 IP for Boston to get the win but at least Smith could tell his grandkids he held Ruth to an 0-5 day.
That's fantastic.

27 of Mathewson's Series innings were in 1905, when he went the distance in Games 1, 3, and 5 without giving up a run. IIRC the Giants won that Series 4-1 without giving up an earned run, and their loss came from Chief Bender shutting them out.

Cardinals going with 11 pitchers for the NLCS, dropping Sam Freeman to add AJ Pierzynski.

Not expecting Pierzynski to do much catching, but the team needs another lefty bat off the bench more than they need three lefties in the bullpen.

Cardinals going with 11 pitchers for the NLCS, dropping Sam Freeman to add AJ Pierzynski.

Not expecting Pierzynski to do much catching, but the team needs another lefty bat off the bench more than they need three lefties in the bullpen.
I like this. Freeman never instilled much confidence and I viewed him as an arm to come in when the Cards were getting blown out.

How fitting that Bochy and Matheny managing these teams. Catchers make pretty good managers.
...and then there's Ned Yost
living in Omaha (home of the Royals AAA team) I am surrounded by Royals fan. They love the Royals, HATE Yost. Dude was lucky he got out-Yosted against Oakland when the brought in Hammell. But, the Royals are a fun team to watch - reminds me of 80's era speed ball.

How fitting that Bochy and Matheny managing these teams. Catchers make pretty good managers.
...and then there's Ned Yost
living in Omaha (home of the Royals AAA team) I am surrounded by Royals fan. They love the Royals, HATE Yost. Dude was lucky he got out-Yosted against Oakland when the brought in Hammell. But, the Royals are a fun team to watch - reminds me of 80's era speed ball.
80s Astroturf baseball was fun to watch. The Royals led the AL with 189 SB attempts, which was 25 more than their closest competitor. By comparison, the 1985 Cardinals stole 314 out of a ridiculous 410 attempts.

80s Astroturf baseball was fun to watch. The Royals led the AL with 189 SB attempts, which was 25 more than their closest competitor. By comparison, the 1985 Cardinals stole 314 out of a ridiculous 410 attempts.
For a while Busch II was 386 to the gaps and 414 to center. The prevailing wind was a light breeze coming in from center field. Fly balls tried their best to get out but the ball would just die. Usually with Willie McGee standing under them with his glove open.

Only five teams this season stole more bases than Vince Coleman did in 1985. Four guys from that team stole at least 31 bases, a number good enough for top ten in MLB in 2014.

That 1985 Cardinals team is my all-time favorite. I went to at least 25 regular season home games, plus Game 5 of the World Series. All that speed, all those switch-hitters, all those great pitchers. Sure the last weekend didn't go the way I'd hoped, but it was so fun watching them all year.

That could have been so much worse. It also could have been so much better. Meh, I'll take it at this point. I actually think Wainwright's command looks just fine tonight. Just some very good hitting on good pitches.

**PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT**

If you hate Joe Buck and Harold Reynolds, but still want to watch the Cards/Giants, tune in to Fox Sports 1.

You're welcome.

Panik's MiLB numbers weren't spectacular as he progressed efficiently through the system but he sure looks like a ballplayer in the flesh.

Users who are viewing this thread