What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2012 Tampa Bay Rays thread (1 Viewer)

Who are the 2 bats they are allegedly pursuing?
Knowing Friedman, 2 people nobody is talking about.
I know it's not in the budget, and the lack of fan support doesn't allow it, but signing Fielder would make them instant favorites in the East, maybe even the entire AL. What a ridiculous order they would have to go with their ridiculous starting pitching then...1-Jennings2-Upton3-Longoria4-Fielder5-Zobrist6-<DH> Damon (Get him cheap b/c he wants to stay)7- Joyce8-Molina9-Rodriguez

A power bat at first base could indeed put this team over the top. They just won't spend the money. I don't necessarily blame them. They're running a business. It's a shame more people don't make it to the games. I, like most people around here, watch the team nightly on tv.

I probably only make it to 5-10 games a year on Fridays or the weekend. It's borderline impossible to get to the Trop for a 7 o'clock start if you have a job outside of St. Petersburg.

A power bat at first base could indeed put this team over the top.
Luke Scott may be half of the answer if healthy. His political insights in an election year are a bonus.
LolI like the signing. Health is a small question but apparently he's checked out fine. Anything the Rays can get from the DH spot is a huge plus. During their 4-year run they've had pretty much nothing.

Jennings

Zobrist

Longoria

Joyce

Upton

Scott

1B

Molina

Brignac/Rodriguez

That's a pretty healthy lineup. :thumbup:

'Premier said:
JenningsZobristLongoriaJoyceUptonScott1BMolinaBrignac/RodriguezThat's a pretty healthy lineup. :thumbup:
BJ ended the year batting 2nd a lot. Any chance that sticks?I could see Scott and Joyce swapping at cleanup. Joyce against lefties, Scott against righties. The Scott signing is so Rays. A cheap signing on a guy who has potential. I really hope it works out. Scott can be a terror against righties when healthy. Is Pena going to be the 1B in 2012? I'd bet on it since the guy loves TB and I think is really good friends with Zobrist.

Rumors today are suggesting the Rays will sign Pena.....just a day after it was reported they are hitting Joyce grounders at 1B so they could take a look at him "in case"

Carlos Pena signed for $7.25M.

I loathe Pena, but he fills a need at 1st base and puts a little pop back into the lineup. The luxury of putting him as far down as 7th in the order is nice as well.

The Rays are putting together another nice team on a budget.

Rays really need a bat, and would think there has to be a team out there that would trade a very good young hitter under team control for the next few years for Shields, a real workhorse. Hellickson, Price, and Moore is ridiculous as a top 3, and they still have quite a bit of pitching on the way. But offense is a huge need.

Rays really need a bat, and would think there has to be a team out there that would trade a very good young hitter under team control for the next few years for Shields, a real workhorse. Hellickson, Price, and Moore is ridiculous as a top 3, and they still have quite a bit of pitching on the way. But offense is a huge need.
Unless they are adding an impact bat at SS or C, I'm not sure where you think they can make a significant move. Longoria, Upton, Zobrist, Jennings, Joyce, Pena, and Scott are pretty well set to play almost everyday.

Unless they are adding an impact bat at SS or C, I'm not sure where you think they can make a significant move. Longoria, Upton, Zobrist, Jennings, Joyce, Pena, and Scott are pretty well set to play almost everyday.
A significant improvement on those players listed. Upton contributes defense, and is an albatross on O. Speculation the Rays were looking to deal him, although I am not sure what team would want him. But if they can unload him, they can move Jennings to center, and go get an outfielder. I am sure the Rays will gladly curtail Luke Scott's time if they can find a better player (not difficult). They also need a platoon partner for Matt Joyce who cannot hit lefties at all.I can't really see any good shortstops available that meet the Rays requirements (cheap, under team control).There is no question they can win with that pitching, it carried them last year. But they need a couple more bats.

'Balco said:
'RnR said:
'Balco said:
A significant improvement on those players listed. Upton contributes defense, and is an albatross on O. Speculation the Rays were looking to deal him, although I am not sure what team would want him. But if they can unload him, they can move Jennings to center, and go get an outfielder. I am sure the Rays will gladly curtail Luke Scott's time if they can find a better player (not difficult). They also need a platoon partner for Matt Joyce who cannot hit lefties at all.I can't really see any good shortstops available that meet the Rays requirements (cheap, under team control).There is no question they can win with that pitching, it carried them last year. But they need a couple more bats.
What outfielder are we talking about specifically? I'm not sure the net gain of all those moves is better than just keeping Upton in center. What player are they acquiring that is better than Scott that is within their current budget? I feel like these are idealistic views if there were players out there at the right skill level and price points just waiting to be signed, but I'm not sure it is practical given the current circumstances.Joyce's lefty struggles are legit enough, and I don't disagree there. I'm surprised they didn't try to bring back Jonny Gomes, he would've been the perfect compliment to Joyce in RF and Scott at DH.

Rays don't need a bat at all. Upton's offense was perfectly acceptable last year given his defense, and I think he ended the year at 4 WAR (maybe it was even higher, I forget). They also have 7 guys in the projected everyday lineup capable of 20 homers (Jennings, Upton, Longoria, Pena, Scott, Zobrist, Joyce) and I believe they plan to platoon Brandon Guyer with Joyce in RF, so that will negate Joyce's lefty splits.

I expect the Rays to have one of the most balanced lineups in baseball this year.

And no, I don't expect them to get much offense out of catcher, but there have been some great articles on the defensive addition that Molina will be to the staff.

Upton was a 4.1 WAR player last year, had a .760 OPS and had 23 homers and 36 steals. If that's an offensive albatross, then sign me up.

Cap, what do you think about Price? What the heck happened to him last year? I traded him away in a keeper league last year to make a playoff run (got Kennedy & a bat for him) and the guy I traded him to wants Kennedy back. My instincts say go with the talent and get him back but him pitching in the AL East is always scary.

Cap, what do you think about Price? What the heck happened to him last year? I traded him away in a keeper league last year to make a playoff run (got Kennedy & a bat for him) and the guy I traded him to wants Kennedy back. My instincts say go with the talent and get him back but him pitching in the AL East is always scary.
Relies too much on his fastball, and left too many of them up in the zone last year. Tries to overpower too many guys instead of relying on the team's strength (defense). Then again, this is only his 3rd full year. Seems like he's been around forever.

Gotta think they want to make at least one more move with one of Shields/Davis/Niemann +.
Maybe, but they certainly don't have to. In fact, I'd love to see what Davis could do in the pen.
I'm not sure what it would take, or if the Cubs would even entertain the thought of moving one of Soto or Castro, but they seem like a trade partner that would make some sense.

Gotta think they want to make at least one more move with one of Shields/Davis/Niemann +.
Maybe, but they certainly don't have to. In fact, I'd love to see what Davis could do in the pen.
I'm not sure what it would take, or if the Cubs would even entertain the thought of moving one of Soto or Castro, but they seem like a trade partner that would make some sense.
Cubs won't move Castro but they might easily move Soto for a couple of extra Rays pitcher if Tampa was so inclined.....but that may not be the case considering they went out of their way to go get Jose Molina to catch all their good young pitchers

I like Molina. He'll be a major upgrade at the position. Brignac is a plus defender, but he looked absolutely lost at the plate in 2011. It's tough to have a hole like that in the lineup. How far away is Hak Ju Lee from the bigs? He's just as slick defensively as Brignac, and has put up some nice numbers in the minors. The Rays look like they fleeced the Cubs in that deal. Bitter sweet being a fan of both teams.Keith Law from ESPN on Lee:

"I know Lee's not going to maintain a .390+ BABIP, but I don't think he's going to be a league-average BABIP hitter either. He's looking more polished at short and at the plate, and I'm getting some rave reports from scouts on him. I think the consensus of my best sources would put him more in the teens, but I think Lee projects as a +10 glove or better at short, which, with a solid OBP and doubles power, would make him one of the top 15-20 players in the league."

Yes, I'm the one who was slamming the Longoria contract in the Prince Fielder thread. I was wrong.

Rays third baseman Evan Longoria said during an appearance on MLB Network's Intentional Talk that he has no regrets about the club-friendly extension he signed in April 2008, according to Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times. "I can honestly say that Ive never regretted doing it. I can look at myself in the mirror and say that I made the right decision. You never know, who knows, one or two years in I mightve hurt myself and not been the player that I am today." The six-year deal includes three club options for what would have been free-agent years for Longoria. It could be worth as much as $45MM and will expire after Longo's age-29 season.
I just think of the silly money he would make in NY or Boston. But I respect the heck out of him for being sensible and safe with his 1st big contract. I hope he never leaves TB.I am a Tiger fan but Longoria would probably be my favorite player in MLB, because he's my 8 year old son's favorite player. We go to St Pete every year (condo in Isla Del Sol) and see 3 or 4 Rays games, as well as the Lightning (Stamkos would be my son's favorite hockey player of course). The Rays are our 1B team in MLB and I love to see them succeed. I had no visions of Prince coming to Detroit but dreamed of what he'd do for the Rays' lineup and the team as a whole. TB is a team that's easy to root for based on their salary and obviously talented front office, including the scouting dept.

I was wrong about Longoria and hope all the best for him. Please excuse me for I am Costanza, Lord of the Idiots.

Go Rays!

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone been to a futures game? There's a future Rays game b/t Spring Training and Opening Day at the Trop. Has anyone gone before and are there any of the Rays that play in it?

@TBTimes_Rays: #Rays Zobrist: "It's exciting, a new year, 2012. We're planning on winning the World Series this year."

Yes, I'm the one who was slamming the Longoria contract in the Prince Fielder thread. I was wrong.

Rays third baseman Evan Longoria said during an appearance on MLB Network's Intentional Talk that he has no regrets about the club-friendly extension he signed in April 2008, according to Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times. "I can honestly say that I’ve never regretted doing it. I can look at myself in the mirror and say that I made the right decision. You never know, who knows, one or two years in I might’ve hurt myself and not been the player that I am today." The six-year deal includes three club options for what would have been free-agent years for Longoria. It could be worth as much as $45MM and will expire after Longo's age-29 season.
I just think of the silly money he would make in NY or Boston. But I respect the heck out of him for being sensible and safe with his 1st big contract. I hope he never leaves TB.I am a Tiger fan but Longoria would probably be my favorite player in MLB, because he's my 8 year old son's favorite player. We go to St Pete every year (condo in Isla Del Sol) and see 3 or 4 Rays games, as well as the Lightning (Stamkos would be my son's favorite hockey player of course). The Rays are our 1B team in MLB and I love to see them succeed. I had no visions of Prince coming to Detroit but dreamed of what he'd do for the Rays' lineup and the team as a whole. TB is a team that's easy to root for based on their salary and obviously talented front office, including the scouting dept.

I was wrong about Longoria and hope all the best for him. Please excuse me for I am Costanza, Lord of the Idiots.

Go Rays!
:thumbup: :hifive:

Played in the team's golf event yesterday with EJ and Sam Fuld...two great guys. No earth shattering insight other than BJ coming in with another 10+ pounds of muscle. EJ also thinks he's going to be on the bench in Tampa opening day instead of Durham. He's starting at 3B in Longo's absence today....there is no way he's thinking clearly right now....if you know what I mean.

"If a wild boar shows up in our clubhouse, we're in good shape."

Manager Joe Maddon, in the hunting prowess of DH Luke Scott and other Rays.

:lmao: love that guy.

Rays pitcher Matt Bush was arrested Thursday evening in Port Charlotte, Fla., for his alleged role in a hit and run accident, according to a report by the local NBC affiliate. Officials at Charlotte County Jail confirmed that Bush, 26, was in custody there Thursday night but said he had not yet been charged. According to the television station's report, Bush, the No. 1 overall pick of the 2004 First-Year Player Draft by the Padres, was arrested on suspicion of fleeing the scene of an accident with serious injuries, driving with a suspended license, DUI with serious injuries and DUI with property damage. The Rays issued the following comment: "The Tampa Bay Rays organization is deeply saddened by today's tragic news. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the victim and his family. We will reserve further comment until we learn more about the incident that took place." The Florida Highway Patrol told the NBC station that the Rays Minor League right-hander was driving in a Dodge SUV when he allegedly hit the back of 72-year-old Anthony Tufano's motorcycle, then fled. Tufano was taken to Peace River Regional Medical Center, then flown by helicopter to Lee Memorial Hospital Trauma Center. Bush was caught in North Port and taken into custody. Alcohol has gotten Bush into trouble with the law before. Drafted as a shortstop, he received a $3.15 million signing bonus but was suspended after a fight outside an Arizona nightclub before he played a game. Bush's career as a hitter didn't work out, and he was converted to pitcher in 2007, but then had to undergo Tommy John surgery. In February 2009, he was accused of assault in another alcohol-related incident and pleaded guilty to four misdemeanor counts of simple battery. Traded to the Blue Jays, he was released two months later after violating the team's zero-tolerance policy. In June 2009, Bush was charged with driving while drunk, resisting arrest and vandalism after he was videotaped in an altercation with police. The Rays gave Bush another chance. He pitched 13 2/3 innings in the Minors in 2010, then 50 1/3 over 36 relief appearances last season for Double-A Montgomery. He went 5-3 with a 4.83 ERA, 77 strikeouts and 24 walks. Bush, who is on the Rays' 40-man roster, pitched 4 2/3 scoreless innings for the team this Spring Training before being optioned to Minor League camp Sunday.
What an idiot.

Anything of note really happening with this news of the Hillsborough and Pinellas commissioners jumping into the stadium fray?

Starting rotation just announced of:

Shields, Price, Hellickson, Moore, Neimann. (Davis to the pen)

~~~~~~▄▐▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▌

~~~▄▄██▌IT'S JAKE MCGEE TIME

▄▄▄▌ :bowtie: █▌▌

███████▌.▌▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▌

▀(O)▀▀▀▀▀▀▀(O)(O)▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀(@)(@)▀▀▘

Users who are viewing this thread