What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Blacklist - new NBC show (1 Viewer)

Oh this thread went a different direction...I was sad I wasn't going to be able to watch the Voice this season since we were blacklisting NBC.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been getting bombarded with ads for it. Seems interesting. Not sure how long they can keep it suspenseful.

It's a silence of the lambs ripoff so far but I'm intrigued. Pretty sure we all know why he is obsessed with her.

I'm assuming this show will also be trashed here because I liked it and nothing I like is liked by fbgs.

I like mindless films where things blow up. Bon jovi is good. Phish sucks. I ordered super Chanel so I could watch sons of anarchy. I wear 501s, hockey jerseys with my name and number on them. I still pick the dog.

I like mindless films where things blow up. Bon jovi is good. Phish sucks. I ordered super Chanel so I could watch sons of anarchy. I wear 501s, hockey jerseys with my name and number on them. I still pick the dog.
I meant about TV, but okay. I don't see anything to take away your human race membership card in that inventory. Oh, and as to the jerseys, I have like 16 NFL authentics, but they have other people's names on them, which is also frowned upon at FBG Central.

Ok

I like:

Sons of anarchy

Under the dome

Big Bang

Liked Terra Nova and Alcatraz

There is a good chance that if there is a thread here mostly full of people bashing the show I like it.

I think SOA is a fine show, not great, but fine. I don't do sitcoms. I liked Alcatraz but did not like Terra Nova's first two eps so I gave up on it. So you're not wholly alone. Oh, Under the Dome. I watched the whole first season (did not read the book). I thought it was alternately stupid and interesting, but it was always entertaining. I'll watch it next year.

Just finished it.

It was good! I was pleasantly surprised at some of the twists and clever plotting. Nothing overtly stupid happened. If the pilot is any indication, this appears to be miles better than some of the shows I've watched in the last couple of years, e.g., Last Resort, Zero Hour, Revolution, The Event, and others. As usual, I have some concerns about how they will serialize this, but it seems pretty obvious that each week, they'll take down a terrorist/criminal, and there will be ongoing arcs as well, like whatever is going on with the husband, and how Liz got the scar and such.

Thumbs up. I'm glad I watched. In for the season.

I thought it wasn't bad. It certainly is better than that show Kevin Bacon did. Spader was pretty good. Going to give it a chance and see if they can keep it together.

My girlfriend and I enjoyed it alot. Thought the lead girl and Spader both did a very good job, and for a pilot, it was every bit if not more intriguing than most other shows. IN.

Meh. The whole premise seems pointlessly convoluted. There's no reason for Spader to turn himself in. I'm sure it'll turn out that he was either a good patriot going undercover to learn all about the bad guys or he's criminal mastermind that can only retrieve some piece of information or technology from inside the government facility. Either way it's nonsense. The kidnapping scheme was needlessly complicated and completely obvious. The roll-away prison cell was just absurd. There were some interesting possibilities, but they were trying way too hard to try to appear clever.

DaVinci said:
Meh. The whole premise seems pointlessly convoluted. There's no reason for Spader to turn himself in. I'm sure it'll turn out that he was either a good patriot going undercover to learn all about the bad guys or he's criminal mastermind that can only retrieve some piece of information or technology from inside the government facility. Either way it's nonsense. The kidnapping scheme was needlessly complicated and completely obvious. The roll-away prison cell was just absurd. There were some interesting possibilities, but they were trying way too hard to try to appear clever.
I thought it was pretty obvious why Spader turned himself in. But I won't spoil it for those that don't see it coming.

DaVinci said:
Meh. ... The kidnapping scheme was needlessly complicated and completely obvious. The roll-away prison cell was just absurd. There were some interesting possibilities, but they were trying way too hard to try to appear clever.
This is my early take as well. Was hoping for something that didn't rely on as many gimmicks, but figured it would go in this direction when I saw the trailer with the opening scene.

Still, I will give it a few more episodes before bailing.

ETA: for anyone saying there was nothing too over the top, it was very 24-like in how all of the characters were able to just appear wherever they needed to with whatever assets they needed at the right time. Best example being Spader showing up in the park with a bomb expert to neutralize the bomb with seconds remaining.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaVinci said:
Meh. ... The kidnapping scheme was needlessly complicated and completely obvious. The roll-away prison cell was just absurd. There were some interesting possibilities, but they were trying way too hard to try to appear clever.
This is my early take as well. Was hoping for something that didn't rely on as many gimmicks, but figured it would go in this direction when I saw the trailer with the opening scene.

Still, I will give it a few more episodes before bailing.

ETA: for anyone saying there was nothing too over the top, it was very 24-like in how all of the characters were able to just appear wherever they needed to with whatever assets they needed at the right time. Best example being Spader showing up in the park with a bomb expert to neutralize the bomb with seconds remaining.
Pretty obvious Spaders character set everything up. They obviously knew the FBI was coming and were set up on the road to intercept them and pull off the kidnapping. The villain tells him he handled her husband just as he asked him to. Having the guy on hand to defuse doesn't seem like such a stretch given that.

DaVinci said:
I thought it was pretty obvious why Spader turned himself in. But I won't spoil it for those that don't see it coming.
I see at as one of two things and since I can't use spoiler tags on mobile scenario A directly relates to female lead and B would be to serve a greater end game for Spader with a possibility of C a combo of both.

I thought it was pretty good for a first episode, much better than the previews. I can see a couple of good seasons although shows like this would be much better if they just decided on a total number of episodes for the series at the beginning. Give the writers a known number of episodes for a series and you will get a better product. Network TV doesn't think like that though.

For the show to work long term, the audience is going to have to buy in to the central character. He's sort of interesting and Spader seems to be enjoying playing the heel again. But the character is all surface so far. I assume the creators have written his back story and have an idea of how they're going to reveal it. I think developing the character going forward is a tougher challenge. The writers have to walk a fine line between man and superman. The show loses credibility if he is too all knowing about everyone about the blacklist. The pilot was dangerously close to this. Also, some items from the character's past could paint the writers into a corner for future development.

For the show to work long term, the audience is going to have to buy in to the central character. He's sort of interesting and Spader seems to be enjoying playing the heel again. But the character is all surface so far. I assume the creators have written his back story and have an idea of how they're going to reveal it. I think developing the character going forward is a tougher challenge. The writers have to walk a fine line between man and superman. The show loses credibility if he is too all knowing about everyone about the blacklist. The pilot was dangerously close to this. Also, some items from the character's past could paint the writers into a corner for future development.
If you buy into the fact he's one of if not the worst of the worst him being all knowing is easier to swallow. I'm picturing the world they're creating having an illuminati of the crime world going on.

Yea, is it really that much of a spoiler? They practically hit you in the face with it.

Thought it was ok for a pilot - they throw a lot into a pilot to try and initiate all the story lines. A little graphic for network tv but enjoyed the show overall. Liked how they cleverly hid the surveillence camera when he moved into the plush hotel suite. Why would you try to clean the carpet with all that blood - Wouldn't you just have it taken out? How did she find the stash under the floor so quick? I'll stay with it for a few more shows.

Thought it was ok for a pilot - they throw a lot into a pilot to try and initiate all the story lines. A little graphic for network tv but enjoyed the show overall. Liked how they cleverly hid the surveillence camera when he moved into the plush hotel suite. Why would you try to clean the carpet with all that blood - Wouldn't you just have it taken out? How did she find the stash under the floor so quick? I'll stay with it for a few more shows.
Well the attempted blood cleanup is pretty typical TV shorthand for someone trying to get control again. And really the first piece of carpet she tore up had the hidden cache under it.

Well the attempted blood cleanup is pretty typical TV shorthand for someone trying to get control again. And really the first piece of carpet she tore up had the hidden cache under it.
Yes, As a FBI Profiler, I was thinking she would be a little bit more methodical/less emotional about it. As I mentioned, the tv pilots have to shorten up the story line to get a lot into the episode. Thought that was a lucky break to cut the carpet right where the cache was. Still enjoyed it. We'll see how it develops in the next few weeks.

I'll give it a shot. The concept seems interesting (but a bit farfetched). IMO, they crammed too much into the first episode. I did have a question as I got distracted at one point.

At one point I thought the girl and Spader were talking on cell phones after he escaped from the hospital. Did they explain that and by extension does that mean the girl is in on everything?

I'll give it a shot. The concept seems interesting (but a bit farfetched). IMO, they crammed too much into the first episode. I did have a question as I got distracted at one point.

At one point I thought the girl and Spader were talking on cell phones after he escaped from the hospital. Did they explain that and by extension does that mean the girl is in on everything?
If I remember the scene accurately this was after he met up with his buddy. Spader had so much information on her I assumed he had her number and I assumed terrorist guy gave him the phone to use

As a Spader fan, I'm in.

A simple rule to live by: If you are a government or military official, and you are transporting something or someone important, when you see any type of roadblock or detour, SOMETHING IS UP!

As a Spader fan, I'm in.

A simple rule to live by: If you are a government or military official, and you are transporting something or someone important, when you see any type of roadblock or detour, SOMETHING IS UP!
I thought it was odd that they would send a helicopter to pick up the woman on her first day on the new job, but they did not use the same chopper to go pick up the girl from the dance class.

I liked it overall, added it to the DVR rotation.

Thought the part where she stabbed him with the pen was awesome. I got annoyed when she kept staring at her husband and saying "everything is going to be ok".

I also got annoyed that they made her husband into some kind of super spy. The whole husband/wife both secret agents without knowing is just a tired story line. Unless it includes Angelina Jolie of course.

Enjoyed it but story was convoluted (not that it didn't wrok)

So the russian wanted to kidnap the kid

but the kidnapping only worked because Spader set them up by telling them the Russian was coming for the kid

so Spader - trying to keep his good rep - gives the lead female's husband over to the russian

all this to apparently prevent the russian from setting off a bomb at the zoo

Users who are viewing this thread