What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alice's Restaurant (1 Viewer)

Parrothead

Footballguy
I'm cooking today, so I have the stereo on, and Arlo Guthrie's Alice's Restaurant CD in.. I have the title song on repeat, and it is on its third rotation.. want to see how long it takes my wife to say WTF??!!

I'm guessing 4 or 5..

:thumbup:

Is this some kind of odd tradition? My old man used to play Alice's Restaurant (and Lake Shore Drive, incidentally) more times than I could count every Thanksgiving I can remember.

Is this some kind of odd tradition? My old man used to play Alice's Restaurant (and Lake Shore Drive, incidentally) more times than I could count every Thanksgiving I can remember.
It'll be played at noon by all the local rock and classic rock stations here in Baltimore. Yes it is a tradition. Why? :goodposting: ETA: Why Thanksgiving is easy, why a tradition? :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:
And friends they may thinks it's a movement.And that's what it is , the Alice's Restaurant Anti-Massacre Movement, andall you got to do to join is sing it the next time it come's around on theguitar. You can get anything you want at Alice's restaurant. (excepting Alice)

It'll be played at noon by all the local rock and classic rock stations here in Baltimore. Yes it is a tradition. Why? :yes: ETA: Why Thanksgiving is easy, why a tradition? ;)
For years on Thanksgiving Day, a classic rock station (that turned into a country station a few years) did a fund raiser for the food bank here. They took pledges to play songs. For Alice's Restaurant, they would only play it once it had accumulated $500 in pledges and it still would get played 4 or 5 times during the day.

I want to kill. I mean, I wanna, I wanna kill. Kill. I wanna, I wanna see, I wanna see blood and gore andguts and veins in my teeth. Eat dead burnt bodies. I mean kill, Kill, KILL, KILL...And the sargent came over, pinned a medal on me, sent me down the hall, said, "You're our boy."

And he came to the realization that he wasn't going to look at the 20 8x10, color, glossy photos with the circles and arrows with a paragraph on the back of each one because it was another case of American blind justice and there was nothing he could do or say about it.

finished with a Thanksgiving Dinner that couldn't be beat... yum..

The answer to my experiment was 5.. yes, during the 5th rendition of Alice's Restaurant, Mrs PH said "WTF is up with this song"

:)

Hope everyone enjoyed or are enjoying their T-Giving dinners that couldn't be beat.. just remember NOT to dump your garbage in unauthorized places!!!

jjchat said:
And he came to the realization that he wasn't going to look at the 20 8x10, color, glossy photos with the circles and arrows with a paragraph on the back of each one because it was another case of American blind justice and there was nothing he could do or say about it.
27 :kicksrock:

I got this album when I was in 8th grade. Al Smith came over and we were listening to it before going to the Teen Club to hear some band from Houston, ZZ top (50 cents cover). Anyway, we are about to leave and my dad takes me back to his room and he's really,l really mad at me. He wants to know why I thought it was so funny to ridicule him? I am like wtf? I had no idea what he was talking about. Well he was listening to the lyrics and he was also a judge and took the whole song and my existence as an effrontery to him and his professional.

Lesson: even us old farts had older farts raining on on parade when we were young.

click the sig link for a free version on imeem. It's under "What Do Ya Want my Belt for?"

:mellow:

Holy ####, I just heard this song for the first time ever yesterday. It was #391 on the WXN 885 All time greatest songs countdown, and it lasted nearly my entire drive home. I am not sure if I hated it or loved it, but I could not turn it off.

Pretty sure I am on the Turkey day tradition thing now.

Holy ####, I just heard this song for the first time ever yesterday. It was #391 on the WXN 885 All time greatest songs countdown, and it lasted nearly my entire drive home. I am not sure if I hated it or loved it, but I could not turn it off.

:o

ETA - how about this one?

I have loved arlo since I was first introduced to his stuff when I was about 13. I have been to a few concerts, loved his movie, love his music. I love that the grocery store plays "city of New Orleans" but my kids hate that I sing along. Loudly.

Prior to this moment I had no idea it was a willie Nelson song. That makes one willie Nelson song I can name.

lol... I was listening too and thought it funny to see this thread today. Never heard of making it a Thanksgiving day tradition, but I like it. I like it a lot.

Turkey-day eve tradition activated... listening to Alice's restaurant on repeat, drinking bourbon, cooking my own meal for tomorrow, and drinking bourbon to commence shortly!

That didn't seem like much of a contest when I thought Louie Anderson was dead. Why did I think Louie Anderson was dead? And why do you seem to be suggesting the two are mutually exclusive options? Variety in entertainment is important.

Users who are viewing this thread