What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will Facebook eventually die the way Myspace did? (1 Viewer)

Raider Nation

Devil's Advocate
I'm 100% sure Twitter is here to stay. It can be a valuable source of information. But what about Facebook? Is it a novelty that people will get sick of sooner or later?

Last edited by a moderator:
I honestly thought twitter would die within a few months. So shows what I know. Facebook? Meh. Probably one day.

Of course. Facebook already has a few competitors.

If I was Zuckerberg, I'd cash out now and start something else.

not at all. i think it will be a personal's entry point onto the web. it will be how content - customized to the consumer - is delivered. it's the ultimate vanity! i am *here* on the 'net!

Eventually? Sure, I'd suppose.

But facebook has become integrated into daily life in the sense of building your own personal community(ies) in a way that no other application, tool, technology ever has. As such, it will be far more engrained than other examples such as myspace which told others about who you were, but did not become a complete part of your daily life, ritual and the way to connect with past and current friends and relatives.

I do think Facebook will die a slow death.

Something will come along that is better.

20 years ago I had no idea I'd be chatting on a message board, trading stocks, watching pr0n, and stalking chicks on facebook online.. nor did i think i would be carrying a cell phone and using it to get texts and tweets.

No clue what things will look like in 2030... but I be surprised if something better didn't come along.

Twitter - I think it'll have less than facebook. I love twitter... it's the best way to get up to date information on whatever you are interested in.

But I'm guessing there will be an even better way soon.

Will texting be around in 20 years?

Eventually? Sure, I'd suppose.But facebook has become integrated into daily life in the sense of building your own personal community(ies) in a way that no other application, tool, technology ever has. As such, it will be far more engrained than other examples such as myspace which told others about who you were, but did not become a complete part of your daily life, ritual and the way to connect with past and current friends and relatives.
Okay, so why couldn't another piece of software replace Facebook? The blueprint is there. It will happen.

It will be here for a while.

My MIL, multiple brother-in-laws, my stepmom are all on Facebook. They never knew about MySpace. They know they want to play games, look at pictures and send messages to family and friends. Facebook is all the Internet they need.

I would compare Facebook more to early AOL than MySpace at this point. It's the walled garden of the Internet where most people are comfortable and never need to go anyplace else.

It will last but Twitter has surpassed it as the most important social media. Who knew that Ashton Kutcher was actually on to something.

I dont think it will ever fail or be taken over. Way too many people are emotionally invested in FB. You have 5 year olds up to grandmas with pages. They are not going to switch over for something new. It took 10 years to get to this point. Also if a competitor comes up then Facebook could just buy them up.

It will last but Twitter has surpassed it as the most important social media. Who knew that Ashton Kutcher was actually on to something.
I agree, yet I am still trying to figure out how they will make money.I feel like the minute they try to charge users or put ads in their messages that a clone of their service will pop up.Seems too easy to replicate.

It will be here for a while.My MIL, multiple brother-in-laws, my stepmom are all on Facebook. They never knew about MySpace. They know they want to play games, look at pictures and send messages to family and friends. Facebook is all the Internet they need.I would compare Facebook more to early AOL than MySpace at this point. It's the walled garden of the Internet where most people are comfortable and never need to go anyplace else.
This. People like things where all the hard work is done for them. Something that is intuitive, covers the big things, and is easy to use. Just look at Apple.Of course, how long is "long" in terms of a modern PC or Web based company? I think it will end up like Microsoft in that it will entrench itself into so much of our everyday life, that it cant help but stick around a while. But in time (5, 10, 20 years?) other players will come along and gradually erode its influence and reach.ETA: of course this all depends on monetizing the stupid thing. Microsoft did have a revenue source right out of the gate. FB has to invent theirs

nothing lasts forever
:goodposting: Facebook will have to continually reinvent itself or it will be replaced/obsolete in time and that cycle has been increased in the digital age. That goes for Twitter as well and I am not sure why you would bet on Twitter over Facebook.

I dont think it will ever fail or be taken over. Way too many people are emotionally invested in FB. You have 5 year olds up to grandmas with pages. They are not going to switch over for something new. It took 10 years to get to this point. Also if a competitor comes up then Facebook could just buy them up.
I don't agree with the first part, nothing lasts forever, especially when it comes to the internet. But I agree that the emotional attachment to FB is WAY stronger than Twitter.

When the monkeys take over they will have no need for social media, their social media involves sniffing, domination, urinating, and sharing food

Facebook will die then, if not before

I think facebook will outlast twitter. Exactly when it will die is a fascinating question. I'd give it at least five more good years . . . but things move so fast, who knows?

I am not sure why you would bet on Twitter over Facebook.
Twitter's co-founder was on Howard Stern last month. Zuck tried to buy the company and they told him to pound sand.
I am not sure how that equals a reason to bet on Twitter over Facebook.
It doesn't, really. Just seemed like an appropriate spot in which to crowbar the factoid.
Cool, then this seems like a good place to jam this story about 1/2 of Facebook's original 200 employees have left so they can sell their shares:http:Within the Industry, an Urge to Cash Out

What about the FFA?
good question on whether message boards will continue.Basically in terms of anonymous interaction and the ability to find an area specific board in which to discuss specific hobbies or interests, they have very few peers.There's lots of things I really enjoy discussing on message boards that I don't have any local friendly contacts to discuss with.Idea sharing on the internet/smartphones isn't going away.. the question is how it will happen.. facebook/message boards/twitter... do they all stay?On one hand message boards seem out of date now... but on the other hand texting is trending up while talking on your phone is trending down.. and that seems counter-intuitive.Who knows.

Whichever one remains scandal free will last. Whichever one does not have a security breech will last. Both are bound to happen though.

It will be here for a while.My MIL, multiple brother-in-laws, my stepmom are all on Facebook. They never knew about MySpace. They know they want to play games, look at pictures and send messages to family and friends. Facebook is all the Internet they need.I would compare Facebook more to early AOL than MySpace at this point. It's the walled garden of the Internet where most people are comfortable and never need to go anyplace else.
I think you're right on here. Myspace had some serious problems and Zuckerberg was smart enough to make a better version of it before anyone else could. At this point I don't think there's enough limitations functionally with Facebook that would cause people to shift to another site. The one way I can see a site beating Facebook is if it is dedication to promoting privacy - the exact opposite direction Facebook is going. Eventually people will get tired of Facebook's lack of privacy and look for something else. IMO, Facebook is now too focused on making money at the expense of it's users' privacy.

I think facebook will outlast twitter. Exactly when it will die is a fascinating question. I'd give it at least five more good years . . . but things move so fast, who knows?
Look at where RIM BlackBerry was at 5 years ago. King of the hill. They were unbeatable with a ton of cash in the bank. Fast forward 5 years and they have been seriously wounded by Apple and Google. Things move so fast in tech. I think Facebook's future is tied in many ways to the future of mobile. And at the end of the day, Facebook doesn't control any of the mobile ecosystem outside of the application layer. I give them 5 more good years before the service starts to become marginalized.

Mason is laughing all the way to the bank. I doubt anyone will remember Groupon in 5 years.
Perhaps no company has seen its early investors and founders take so much money off the table so quickly as Groupon. The company is still losing money, but some insiders have already become rich on it. Out of $946 million that Groupon raised from investors last winter, $810 million went into the pockets of the chief executive, Andrew Mason; the chairman, Eric Lefkofsky; and others. In April 2010, many of the same insiders pocketed an additional $120 million.

I am not sure why you would bet on Twitter over Facebook.
Twitter's co-founder was on Howard Stern last month. Zuck tried to buy the company and they told him to pound sand.
I am not sure how that equals a reason to bet on Twitter over Facebook.
It doesn't, really. Just seemed like an appropriate spot in which to crowbar the factoid.
Cool, then this seems like a good place to jam this story about 1/2 of Facebook's original 200 employees have left so they can sell their shares:http:Within the Industry, an Urge to Cash Out
They can't sell their shares while with the company? How long have they been with the company? In this day and age it is not uncommon for employees to move around and I think it is even more common than most other industries in this sector. Also, it is fairly common for people to sell their options, shares, etc when they leave a company. They just have a whole lot of equity coming out of that position right about now and likely can get a pretty good payday being lured by another company at the same time.

Mason is laughing all the way to the bank. I doubt anyone will remember Groupon in 5 years.
Perhaps no company has seen its early investors and founders take so much money off the table so quickly as Groupon. The company is still losing money, but some insiders have already become rich on it. Out of $946 million that Groupon raised from investors last winter, $810 million went into the pockets of the chief executive, Andrew Mason; the chairman, Eric Lefkofsky; and others. In April 2010, many of the same insiders pocketed an additional $120 million.
That is crazy.

Man I agree. Groupon seems like the weakest IPO of the whole lot. This model is so replicable.. even my local newspaper has ripped it off.

I hate Groupon with a passion. It's bad for small businesses.

The only people making money off Groupon is the Groupon people.

Man I agree. Groupon seems like the weakest IPO of the whole lot. This model is so replicable.. even my local newspaper has ripped it off.

I hate Groupon with a passion. It's bad for small businesses.

Yea, I signed up for a local Chicago version of Groupon for dogs. The problem with Groupon is that it devalues the product or service being offered. You might get some new return business from people who you might never have reached before there is a whole lot of people who now see the value of what you are offering as a business at being the reduced cost. The customers no longer see the day at the spa being worth the normal $100 but rather the $40 they spent for it through Groupon and thus are not likely to be profitable customers or customers at all moving forward. The burden is on the small business their product or service in such a way that it overcomes the value perception problem of introducing at such a discounted rate because they desire the product/service so much that they are willing to pay full retail for it. If a small business uses it as an advertising cost and then delivers beyond expectations, then I think it is good for them- however, for most business that do not hit the ball out of the park with their product or service, they have just ate a ton of margin.

The problem with Groupon is that it devalues the product or service being offered. You might get some new return business from people who you might never have reached before there is a whole lot of people who now see the value of what you are offering as a business at being the reduced cost. The customers no longer see the day at the spa being worth the normal $100 but rather the $40 they spent for it through Groupon and thus are not likely to be profitable customers or customers at all moving forward. The burden is on the small business their product or service in such a way that it overcomes the value perception problem of introducing at such a discounted rate because they desire the product/service so much that they are willing to pay full retail for it. If a small business uses it as an advertising cost and then delivers beyond expectations, then I think it is good for them- however, for most business that do not hit the ball out of the park with their product or service, they have just ate a ton of margin.
:goodposting: Yeah, it's not a good model to be honest. The local gyms and kid centric places (Citibabes, Kiddville, NYC Kids) all hate it. You don't want to pay full rate for the same service after you just got a one month sampler at a huge discount. It's been a real losing proposition for a lot of small business owners around here.

The problem with Groupon is that it devalues the product or service being offered. You might get some new return business from people who you might never have reached before there is a whole lot of people who now see the value of what you are offering as a business at being the reduced cost. The customers no longer see the day at the spa being worth the normal $100 but rather the $40 they spent for it through Groupon and thus are not likely to be profitable customers or customers at all moving forward. The burden is on the small business their product or service in such a way that it overcomes the value perception problem of introducing at such a discounted rate because they desire the product/service so much that they are willing to pay full retail for it. If a small business uses it as an advertising cost and then delivers beyond expectations, then I think it is good for them- however, for most business that do not hit the ball out of the park with their product or service, they have just ate a ton of margin.
I agree. Groupon makes sense for small new businesses trying to increase trial of their product/service who think that customers will be wow-ed by their initial experience. Even for these businesses, the problem is that Groupon generally attracts cost-conscious consumers and wowing them is tough when you have 2x -3x their normal volume on the Groupon days.

And consumers, since a penny saved is a penny earned.
As a consumer, I pretty much hate it too. Mostly because 99% of the deals have zero appeal to me. I think the only one I've actually purchased was the canvas picture one. If you want a day at the spa, Philly Groupon seems like a good idea. Otherwise, forget it. At least in the Philly area, it's extremely targeted towards the female demographic.

Users who are viewing this thread