What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Homeland (1 Viewer)

Usual21

Footballguy
It's starting next month on Showtime. Here's the premise:

A taut psychological thriller about a volatile CIA officer (Emmy® winner Claire Danes) who becomes convinced that a recently rescued American POW may be connected to an al Qaeda plot to be carried out on U.S. soil.

The pilot episode is available here: Homeland

Looks real good.

They showed the pilot on the Audience Network/DirecTV 101 the other day. Trying to get Showtime subscribers.

Knowing Audience, I'd imagine they'll show it again before the Showtime premiere.

I thought the pilot was pretty good (beware the censoring for Audience was downright annoying).

Just saw the pilot, THIS SHOW IS AWESOME!!!

Def has me hooked after just one episode.

This is one of those shows which might get stale after a season or two but for this year at least it is really a great premise. The two main leads, Claire Danes and Damien Lewis are amazing.

If there is one new show you should get into this has to be it

With a web of intrigue, 'Homeland' is season's best new show

Cleveland.com

Friday, September 30, 2011

If evidence still is needed to prove that Showtime has closed the quality gap with pay-cable rival HBO, it can be found hanging like a high-tension wire over every suspenseful turn of "Homeland." And tension is this instantly fascinating psychological thriller's basic stock in trade.

Premiering at 10 p.m. Sunday on Showtime, "Homeland" is a post-9/11 cable drama that hits home with harrowing resonance. Delving into doubts and anxieties gnawing away at Americans for the past 10 years, it stars Emmy-winner Claire Danes ("Temple Grandin") as a CIA analyst who could use some time with a good analyst.

Danes' Carrie Mathison is the most intriguing puzzler in this intricate web of intrigue. She's brilliant, tenacious, dedicated and driven to a fault. She has plenty of faults -- deeply disturbing faults that constantly threaten to undermine her career and our view of her as a relentless champion of truth.

She's obstinate, impulsive and sometimes reckless. And she's bipolar, a condition Carrie is hiding from her superiors because it would mean immediate dismissal.

She's also the fall season's most compelling new character, and, based on the three episodes Showtime made available to critics, "Homeland" is the fall's best new series of any kind. That's not say it doesn't take a few wrong turns. Like Carrie, this cable newcomer is not without faults.

While sprinting along at a fairly brisk pace, "Homeland" does stumble over the occasional psycho-thriller cliche and drearily familiar exchange of dialogue. It also needs to put a sense of humor on the requisition list. Obvious as they are, however, these are mere missteps, and the Showtime rookie never completely loses its balance.

Danes' performance keeps us fully engaged, as does the ongoing cat-and-mouse game that emerges in these early episodes. What's gripping far outweighs the tripping.

The riveting debut episode of "Homeland" follows the rip-roaring return of Showtime's "Dexter," which begins its sixth season at 9 p.m. Sunday. It's a stunning one-two punch.

Based on the Israeli television series "Prisoners of War," "Homeland" has been expertly Americanized by Howard Gordon and Alex Gansa. These two executive producers had plenty of time to experiment with high-stakes storytelling during their years crafting plots for Kiefer Sutherland's counterterrorist agent, Jack Bauer.

While covering similar counterterrorist themes as Fox's "24," "Homeland" has a far different feel and appeal. The stakes are set with an opening flashback showing Carrie racing through the streets of Baghdad. Making her way to a dilapidated prison, she reaches the cell of condemned Iraqi man.

The corrupt prison guard tells Carrie that it's only a matter of seconds before she's discovered and expelled. She pushes the prisoner for information. He hesitates. She pushes harder. Other guards arrive. Carrie is being dragged away from the cell.

She pulls away long enough to reach the small barred window in the cell door. The prisoner whispers eight chilling words in her ear: "An American prisoner of war has been turned."

Months later, America is electrified by the news that a Marine sniper, Sgt. Nicholas Brody (Damian Lewis), has been rescued after eight years of captivity. He is given a hero's homecoming.

Every major news outlet covers the welcome-home ceremony, which reunites Brody with his wife, Jessica (Morena Baccarin), and their two children. The period of adjustment is going to be tough for everybody on the home front. Having given up her husband for dead, Jessica has been having an affair with one of his closest friends, Capt. Mike Faber (Diego Klattenhoff).

Although the White House, the Pentagon, the CIA and the media view Brody as a sensational feel-good story, Carrie is troubled by some unsettling feelings. What if Brody is the prisoner of war who has been turned?

She wants to put him under surveillance, but her politically ambitious superior, deputy director David Estes (David Harewood), doesn't want this loose cannon anywhere near America's new hero.

Her CIA mentor, Saul Berenson (Mandy Patinkin), tries to help, but Carrie has been viewed as a liability ever since that unauthorized visit to an Iraqi prison.

Yes, Nicholas Brody is harboring secrets, but so are Carrie, Jessica, Mike and, you can bet, several other characters in "Homeland." We keep watching Carrie as she finds ways to keep watching Brody, and that keeps us guessing and second-guessing motives.

Is Brody part of a terrorist plot? And even if Carrie is right about him, will the ends justify the means and extremes? We grapple with these mysteries as the nuanced performances of Danes and Lewis put the considerable psychological grit into this psychological thriller.
:popcorn:

Just saw the pilot, THIS SHOW IS AWESOME!!!Def has me hooked after just one episode.This is one of those shows which might get stale after a season or two but for this year at least it is really a great premise. The two main leads, Claire Danes and Damien Lewis are amazing.If there is one new show you should get into this has to be it
Set the DVR for the season. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just saw the pilot, THIS SHOW IS AWESOME!!!Def has me hooked after just one episode.This is one of those shows which might get stale after a season or two but for this year at least it is really a great premise. The two main leads, Claire Danes and Damien Lewis are amazing.If there is one new show you should get into this has to be it
I am a big fan of the visitor queen's boobs! And a great story so far as well!!!!

great first episode. its cool how they set it up where youre almost rooting for the pow to not be a terrorist and rooting against the cia agent cuz shes psychotic but y ou know that wont be the case. and my god is the chick from v hot

Wow that second ep was great. I guess we all saw that prayer coming a mile away but it felt very real when he was saying those words

Wow that second ep was great. I guess we all saw that prayer coming a mile away but it felt very real when he was saying those words
I thought he was going to be building a bomb or something. :unsure:
As soon as he swept the floor I knew it was for praying, until then I thought he was building a time machine.
I was thinking the second he left the bed and went to garage it was to pray as a Muslim. This story can go so many ways from here its great

Glad to hear so many like it. Came into the middle of the 1st episode and stopped watching because I wanted to start over from the beginning and forgot to check it out until now. Supposedly it is based on an Israeli tv series that is really good.

Absolutely LOVE the cast. Claire Danes, Damian Lewis, Morena Baccarin, Mandy Patinkin. All people that have in been in stuff I have really enjoyed over the years.

Glad to hear so many like it. Came into the middle of the 1st episode and stopped watching because I wanted to start over from the beginning and forgot to check it out until now. Supposedly it is based on an Israeli tv series that is really good.

Absolutely LOVE the cast. Claire Danes, Damian Lewis, Morena Baccarin, Mandy Patinkin. All people that have in been in stuff I have really enjoyed over the years.
I had no clue that was Inigo Mantoya

Excellent show. Well done to set up plenty of doubt about Carrie and Brody. Everything they do can be evidence of either something mundane or serious nefariousness. Well acted, which I was worried about since I don't like the Brody actor, but even he's great. Inigo Montoya was a little hard to recognize behind the beard but his deep voice and even keel lends a great air of authority.

I actually cringed up and started biting my fingernails and grinding my teeth when they revealed Brody was doing the punching and Nazir was holding his head

I haven't had that visceral of a reaction to a show in a looooong time. Maybe first season of Dexter.

Oh, but whoever approved the line "I'm just a simple girl from Sandusky, Ohio" ought to be flogged. Just a simple girl who bangs as well as arranges harems for one of the richest men in the world. Yeah, just a simple girl...

'mad sweeney said:
Excellent show. Well done to set up plenty of doubt about Carrie and Brody. Everything they do can be evidence of either something mundane or serious nefariousness. Well acted, which I was worried about since I don't like the Brody actor, but even he's great. Inigo Montoya was a little hard to recognize behind the beard but his deep voice and even keel lends a great air of authority.

I actually cringed up and started biting my fingernails and grinding my teeth when they revealed Brody was doing the punching and Nazir was holding his head

I haven't had that visceral of a reaction to a show in a looooong time. Maybe first season of Dexter.

Oh, but whoever approved the line "I'm just a simple girl from Sandusky, Ohio" ought to be flogged. Just a simple girl who bangs as well as arranges harems for one of the richest men in the world. Yeah, just a simple girl...

After that line I was like "Carrie, go ahead and use the asset without remorse".

'mad sweeney said:

After that line I was like "Carrie, go ahead and use the asset without remorse".I don't want her to die... :unsure:

:blackdot:

So rare to find a well-done serious dramatic series that also makes it a point to give us completely gratitous nudity. It reminds me of that movie The Bank Job. You turn it on expecting a tense thriller, and you not only get what your ordered, but an unexpected large side order of fantastic boobs as well.

.I haven't had that visceral of a reaction to a show in a looooong time. Maybe first season of Dexter.Oh, but whoever approved the line "I'm just a simple girl from Sandusky, Ohio" ought to be flogged. Just a simple girl who bangs as well as arranges harems for one of the richest men in the world. Yeah, just a simple girl...

How do you not like **** Winters??He's awesome.

.I haven't had that visceral of a reaction to a show in a looooong time. Maybe first season of Dexter.Oh, but whoever approved the line "I'm just a simple girl from Sandusky, Ohio" ought to be flogged. Just a simple girl who bangs as well as arranges harems for one of the richest men in the world. Yeah, just a simple girl...
How do you not like **** Winters??He's awesome.I haven't seen him in much, probably only in Dreamcatcher, and he annoyed the crap out of me. However, he seems quite good so far in this one so that's going above and beyond my expectations. Can't ask for more than that.

Blah blah blah, there are non-specific minor SPOILERS in this post but if you don't want spoilers, you shouldn't be reading the thread.

Guess I know why I couldn't find Boobs McGavin's name on imdb. Pay attention ladies, THAT's what they're supposed to look like (both pairs), not flesh colored softballs glued to your chest.

Another great episode. Daines is impressive but Inigo is killing it. I admit to not seeing that twist ahead of time and at first thought it was a clunky when Walid told her to leave. Makes a lot of sense after. Can't wait for the next one.

Watched the "necklace" episode last night (#3 maybe) and thought it was pretty decent. Will continue to watch until told otherwise. :unsure:

Watched the "necklace" episode last night (#3 maybe) and thought it was pretty decent. Will continue to watch until told otherwise. :unsure:
Stop watching. Does that suffice? :)On topic, I plan to torrent the first 3 episodes of this when I get home tonight...despite being a re-make, sounds interesting.

Excellent again. :thumbup:

Wonder if we'll find out how they made her. You'd think they'd let the viewer know eventually, yes?

And yes, the boobs are spectacular. : :wub: :yes:

Excellent again. :thumbup: Wonder if we'll find out how they made her. You'd think they'd let the viewer know eventually, yes?And yes, the boobs are spectacular. : :wub: :yes:
I don't think she was made. I think she was killed by the henchman so her necklace could be stolen and sold for proceeds to fund terror here. Good chance the prince knew nothing about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent again. :thumbup: Wonder if we'll find out how they made her. You'd think they'd let the viewer know eventually, yes?And yes, the boobs are spectacular. : :wub: :yes:
[spoilers]I don't think she was made. I think she was killed by the henchman so her necklace could be stolen and sold for proceeds to fund terror here. Good chance the prince knew nothing about it. [/spoilers]
could be :hifive:

she wasnt made. I thought that was pretty clear. The necklace the prince gave her was the target so the handler can finance his terror plot.Can anyone explain the couple at the end? Im assuming the guy was a terrorist. Was he financed with the necklace $$? Married to a white woman. Interesting stuff

she wasnt made. I thought that was pretty clear. The necklace the prince gave her was the target so the handler can finance his terror plot.Can anyone explain the couple at the end? Im assuming the guy was a terrorist. Was he financed with the necklace $$? Married to a white woman. Interesting stuff
Seems pretty clear that that's the connection. Right by an airport (didn't catch the city they were in). The wife may not be in the know.

Users who are viewing this thread