What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

24 hours of LEMONS--Starting Over (1 Viewer)

With all the shtick, it's kinda like Canonball Run except with really crappy cars and on a track.

With all the shtick, it's kinda like Canonball Run except with really crappy cars and on a track.
Take some of your election coin and sponsor a team. We could have the local FBGs from each race area be the team that week.

I went a few years ago and helped on the crew of my friend's car. It was a lot of fun. My only regret is not being able to take the car around the track at all.

My neighbor does this. They have a black and green Mustang. Four Honda engineers, they seem quite serious about it.

####### rules. This thread just inspired me.... Getting a team together.
Perhaps I'll see ya at Summit Point! Not sure well the jeeps going to go through the turns.
Wouldn't be a jeep. I've got some buddies who could weld or paint anything. Getting the stripping/customizing would be easy/cheap. Also have a buddy with a salvage yard full of old benzes. Options abound ;)

Update We purchased a 1986 BMW 325e (yes the "economy" engine) for $500- and we paid the seller $200- for delivery ;) . It's amazing how much lighter the car is since we gutted it. We're selling the parts we don't need (interior, radio, windows, AC, etc) and have made $210- so far. Bought a tubing bender and 100' of tubing for the cage (starting on cage next week). We've replaced the wheel bearings, added quick release steering wheel, etc. The engine runs again (next time we'll mark all wires as we gut). We were planning on racing in May but there's way too much to be done. So we'll take the car to track days and autocross it. Hopefully this will allow us to debug the car, and it will give the 6 of us some wheel time. Hoping to run NJ in July.How's everyone else progressing?

We're racing NHMS nhms.com with 130+ other cars in 3 weeks. Unbelievable how much work and $ we've put in to get the car to this point. The car hadn't started for 6+ months until last week. It's 99% complete and we are scouring google earth to find a place to get some "testing" in. Our meetings had been meeting once a week, but for the past month 2x a week. Everyone has there driving goodies (helmets, suits, HANS, etc.). If you are at the track. stop in and say hi. Center garage #10 (Cheatee Cheatee Bang Bang theme). I'll be the idiot dressed as grandpa.

WooHoo

We're racing NHMS nhms.com with 130+ other cars in 3 weeks. Unbelievable how much work and $ we've put in to get the car to this point. The car hadn't started for 6+ months until last week. It's 99% complete and we are scouring google earth to find a place to get some "testing" in. Our meetings had been meeting once a week, but for the past month 2x a week. Everyone has there driving goodies (helmets, suits, HANS, etc.). If you are at the track. stop in and say hi. Center garage #10 (Cheatee Cheatee Bang Bang theme). I'll be the idiot dressed as grandpa.

WooHoo
I fully support all this foolishness.

I'm always envious of people that have found time to do these. One day...one day.

We had a genuine former Daytona 500 winning NASCAR crew chief help us set up our car the other night. Quite a learning experience. :) According to the expert our car looks pretty good. The car was put on scales and it was determined that the right rear is a bit "light". We were told how and are working to fix that so the car will handle better. Even after adding the cage and fuel cell the car lost over 600 pounds. Power/Weight baby!A place was found to test the car this weekend. Hope the local cops have a sense of humor and don't arrest a bunch of 40 somethings doing donuts in a parking lot. Everyone is getting nervous that this is finally happening. Hopefully we'll all get at least one stint driving, before something "bad" happens.

Race is this weekend. We took the car out and tested her on a somewhat "private" public road. Car ran great for a bit and then problem with the clutch. No one was arrested. Clutch is sorted, and tomorrow is our first "track" test day. Saturday the race starts at 10 and there's supposed to be over 140 cars on the track. We're all nervous as hell, and I'll be driving the first race stint (thanks Jack of spades). Wish me luck!

Race is this weekend. We took the car out and tested her on a somewhat "private" public road. Car ran great for a bit and then problem with the clutch. No one was arrested. Clutch is sorted, and tomorrow is our first "track" test day. Saturday the race starts at 10 and there's supposed to be over 140 cars on the track. We're all nervous as hell, and I'll be driving the first race stint (thanks Jack of spades). Wish me luck!
Stay out of trouble, find some space and then go for it. Best of luck!

WE DID IT!

Friday was practice, and safety inspections. The car breezed through the safety and BS inspections. We were put in class A with zero penalty laps. We all got to drive the car for the first time on a track. There were maybe 30 cars on the track during practice. Some cars were very fast, others not so much. We were amazed at how well the car handled, and for a bone stock motor, we were hitting 100+mph at the end of the front straight.

Saturday was insane. I had the first shift driving, and there were 139 other cars on the track with me. The flag dropped and all hell broke loose. Picture 140 cabbies racing to the airport for a $100- tip. By the end of my 1st 45 minute stint, I wanted to puke. The day went on and the field thinned (maybe 80-100 cars on track). We all got a little more accustomed to this speeding mess that we were racing in. The car ran great and we only had to add fuel and oil. We had a couple of minor contacts, and finished the day in 50th place.

Sunday came and we rotated the driving order so I drove 4th. By the time I was to start my first stint, we had worked our way up to 40th position. Things were looking really good. On his out lap driver 3 got a bit too aggressive under braking and hit another car (minor damage to both). By this time the Lemons officials were fed up with all the contact going on that day, and declared 30 minute penalties minimum for all contact. So we sat in the penalty box for 30 minutes and dropped to 68th place by the time I got back in the car. My stint went well and we had moved up a bit then our first driver was ready for his final stint of the day. Half way through a car didn't see him passing and there was more light contact... 30 more minutes sitting in the penalty box. We had about 3 hours left to race. We finished the day in 57th place.

We had a fantastic weekend. It's been extremely rewarding stripping this car to it's shell, and rebuilding her to where she is now. She ran great all weekend even though we beat the bajebus out of her. We're getting together this week to compare race stories, watch videos, and bust chops. Good times!

Awesome!

I was just reading the lemon forums last night and thinking about getting a group together.

Have any pics to share?

Awesome!

I was just reading the lemon forums last night and thinking about getting a group together.

Have any pics to share?
We spent well over 1,000 hrs. prepping the car. It was draining at times, but while other teams were wrenching on their cars last weekend, we were able to enjoy the parties at night! Cheatee ran perfectly, only added oil and gas. We decided when we started the team it was better to put the time into prep rather than be scrambling at the track, or worse have to go home early. If you decide to start a team search the lemons forums for opinions on how to set up a team. I'm a relative noob, but I'll give you my 2 cents if you have any questions. Best of luck if you start a team.

Going to take a swing at this next year. We have 4 drivers (so far), a car dolly, and a 1986 BMW 325 coupe. What can you tell me? Checked out a race at NHIS in oct. 135 cars on a 90 second track equals lots of fun. http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/usercontent/lemons/LandingPages/Spectator2013.html
I would love to try this some day.
Some teams have an arrive and drive option. Cost ranges from $600-$1200 for a race. There is a forum on the 24HOL website (HumanResources) that lists rides for rent all over the country.

The NHMS Road Course is a ton of fun on iracing. I'd kill to run there in IRL

What course configuration did ya run?

Did ya run either of the NASCAR corners or did they cut them both?

The NHMS Road Course is a ton of fun on iracing. I'd kill to run there in IRL

What course configuration did ya run?

Did ya run either of the NASCAR corners or did they cut them both?
We ran the road course config. There was 3 turns where Nascar turn 1 and 2 are. 3 turns where Nascar 3 and 4 were. The course was really fun. I'd never been on the course. But it felt safe. Two of us turned 1:30.3's, but we both think with more practice we should be able to knock a couple seconds off that. I think best lap in the race was a 1:24.

Last edited by a moderator:
:thumbup:

The car looks really really professional on the inside. I can tell a lot of work went into that. Seems a lot more sanitary than a lot of the other cars I've seen. I'm assuming you have some guys that have done some amateur racing?

I liked seeing the pass on the K wagon. I hear it's a rare event to see it on track.

Seems like it slows down quite a bit.

Now I know why Nemo has a shorter fin on one side. Your driver's description to the judges is :lmao: .

Can you share the quick math on how you arrived at the $500? It seems like it more advantageous to buy a $2k car that you can sell parts off of versus a $500 car no one wants anything off of. Do you swap interior parts for junk yard back up engines and transmissions?

Battles said:
:thumbup:

The car looks really really professional on the inside. I can tell a lot of work went into that. Seems a lot more sanitary than a lot of the other cars I've seen. I'm assuming you have some guys that have done some amateur racing?

I liked seeing the pass on the K wagon. I hear it's a rare event to see it on track.

Seems like it slows down quite a bit.

Now I know why Nemo has a shorter fin on one side. Your driver's description to the judges is :lmao: .

Can you share the quick math on how you arrived at the $500? It seems like it more advantageous to buy a $2k car that you can sell parts off of versus a $500 car no one wants anything off of. Do you swap interior parts for junk yard back up engines and transmissions?
Thanks for the props on the cars interior. We're a diverse bunch, but a few of us are anal retentive and ended up trying to make things as "professional" as we could.

The K car is rarely on the track due to mechanical woes. But it has been driven across the country many times and raced by many different teams this year. I'm happy to say that it had it's best race of the year this past weekend.

I agree about Marks description. :lmao: He did finally "come clean" in the penalty box and Nemo was allowed to leave after a few minutes.

As for our experience... I raced enduro karts 25 years ago. The guy who did our wiring raced autocross 10ish years ago. Our Nemo punting driver has done some track days (mostly 10-15years ago). We have a drag racing guy who'd never been on a road course before (he did fantastic). Lastly we have another guy who's done two corvette driving schools. We are not what anyone would call experienced or professional. But we pulled it off and had a great time doing it.

The math is the difficult part. The rules state that the car needs to be $500- (excluding safety items). We paid $700- for our car. $500- for the car... $200- for delivery ;) We sold about $900- in parts out of the car. People pay for all sorts of stuff you don't want or need to race. We sold; AC stuff, switches, windows, seats, heater stuff, interior panels, door seals, tool kits, locks, etc. E30's have a cult like following and these guys eat up parts you're looking to sell. They also have forums that are invaluable for info on figuring out the cars strengths and weaknesses, and how to prevent possible failures.

According to the rules whether you purchase a $2000- car or a $1 car. You cannot go below $0-valuation. Example: If you sell $12,872.53 off a $1-car, the most you can spend on "upgrades"/parts is $500- (can't go below $0- valuation) Back up stuff is NOT considered part of your budget. We plan on purchasing another POC to take to the track next time so we have a spare everything. (just found another junk parts car for $150-) Spare POC doesn't count towards your $500- budget.

The truth is ALL teams cheat. The judges know it and they take bribes! Bribe the judges and your car is adorned with a "bribed" logo. They are very fair and look at the car/theme/team and determine its class (A,B, or C) and the # of penalty laps they'll give you. They've seen it all so don't try to BS them.

Our team has spent well over 10k on our "$500- race car". This includes all safety items(tires, wheels, brakes, fuel cell, roll cage, belts, Hans, etc.) tools, car dolly, etc. Teams do it for much less, others spend more. We started this wanting a safe, reliable car, that handled well. I think we succeeded. Other teams have different philosophies. There is no right or wrong in Lemons racing, just fun.

Purchased a $150- parts car last weekend. Now we need to rent a garage for the winter to strip parts car... Warning to all interested in "cheap" racing. This is very cheap compared to many other race series. But it is not $500- cheap either.

We've been accepted into our second race at NJMP May 9-11. The car ran great last fall, so we are mostly doing basic maintenance. The stick was moving all over the place so I'll try and re-bush the worn out linkage. We're also adding some niceties that we didn't have for our first race (Radio, cool suit, power to go-pro, etc.) Fortunately we have a nice place with a lift to work on her until the end of this month!

Very cool. I had some friends do this last year and who are doing it again thi year. They're rank amateurs compared to you guys and I think they played things much closer to the rules as their car looked like a piece of junk compared to most out there.

I do see you cited tires and wheels as safety items. I thought they weren't considered safety items and had to be factored in. Or is that part of the bribe part? I know that suspension and tires were a huge problem for my friends. Their tires were garbage compared to the $1000 worth of tires some teams clearly had on their vehicles.

Very cool. I had some friends do this last year and who are doing it again thi year. They're rank amateurs compared to you guys and I think they played things much closer to the rules as their car looked like a piece of junk compared to most out there.

I do see you cited tires and wheels as safety items. I thought they weren't considered safety items and had to be factored in. Or is that part of the bribe part? I know that suspension and tires were a huge problem for my friends. Their tires were garbage compared to the $1000 worth of tires some teams clearly had on their vehicles.
In Lemons each team is wildly different in terms of car prep. Some teams completely strip the car and re-enforce weak points and get better safety equipment(us). Other teams throw in a less expensive cage and racing seat in and do very little prep. The cars are placed into one of three categories (class A, B, or C). Class A cars are cars that are expected to finish the race and generally have some sort of raciness (BMW, Audi, V-8 Firebird). Class B cars "probably" will finish the race and are cars like a Taurus. Class C cars "were never meant to be raced" (Chevette). Your friends probably race class C. We were in class A.

The wheels and tires are budget exempt for safety reasons. They do require that the tires have a tread wear rating of 190 or higher to prevent people from using really sticky rubber. The tires limit how much traction you have so no matter how good your suspension or brakes are, they only work as well as the tires stick.

Users who are viewing this thread