What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Could you be an Offensive Coordinator of an NFL team for a Qtr.? (1 Viewer)

Sure, I could do this. I may or may not be successful but I could easily call plays into the QB. Plus, if anything goes wrong, I'd just blame the players for not executing. Just like a Pro.

Probably run on first down a lot. Pass once in a while to keep 'em guessing. If I had a good slot receiver I'd have him run a lot of slants and crossing routes. Other than that, lots of flea flickers, shovel passes, statue of liberty, fake reverses, etc. I'd want my time out there to be memorable.

Isn't it basically just that Tecmo Bowl screen in front of you, where you pick a pass play or a run play and that's it?

I would think I could be a coordinator. Might be better on D as that is where I played but I think I could figure it out. Now is it come in cold or do I get to prepare the game plan and all that? If it's cold then anyone can call a few handoffs.

Absolutely! I've coached enough youth and HS ball to know, I could call plays provided I know the playbook.

I would think I could be a coordinator. Might be better on D as that is where I played but I think I could figure it out. Now is it come in cold or do I get to prepare the game plan and all that? If it's cold then anyone can call a few handoffs.
for a quarter? sure. Wouldn't look much different than Carolina's start against Green Bay.

for half a week, planning, training, etc? No. Well, actually, sure. But the team would get destroyed the next week.

for a quarter? sure. Wouldn't look much different than Carolina's start against Green Bay.

for half a week, planning, training, etc? No. Well, actually, sure. But the team would get destroyed the next week.
If you gave me a Carolina I would call a much different game than they do. I would start off with some quick slants to Avant and Cotch. 4-5 yards a play. Get the defense back a bit. Then start mixing in some read option. Now once you have them worrying about the read option go a little play action. Now we got Olsen and Benjamin taking shots down field. I think I could put together a pretty good quarter.

I already script the first twenty plays or so each week for two or three random teams to see how I match up to what actually gets called on the field. On about 64% of them, the OC and I call the same plays and of the ones we differ on, my call would have been the superior call on 72% of those. So yeah, I could. In my sleep.

I think a good percentage of us here at FBG could likely "manage" the teams play calling for more than a quarter, and I would bet our 4th down decision making and clock management would be worlds better. Making adjustments, setting up blocking schemes, etc (Halftime and bye week stuff) would be hard as would having a DC on the other side mixing up coverages and the like.

The truth is that the average coach or coordinator in the league was likely a jock who had a B or C education. Us Straight A multimillionaire FBGs are all smarter than them, we just may need a few minutes to adjust to the task at hand...

Users who are viewing this thread