What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 13 meaningless? (1 Viewer)

OG_GF

Footballguy
So, sadly I lost in the first week of our league playofs. So, this week I am playing the other team that lost last week, and I am killing it. Will lead the league in points. Last week I was second in points, but played the guy that was first. I've looked through the rules, and I see absolutley no reason why my team plays a heads up match here.

Sucks. 2nd in league points, 2nd best record, will put up the most points in the playoffs, and I am going to the consolation round.

I would suggest re-evaluating how the seeding works in the offseason. The team I beat this week (in the league playoffs) I also beat H2H in the regular season, and I way outscored him in points. He just got lucky and ended the season with the best record (i was 2nd) and he is going to the championship and I am not. Make it H2H or most points, instead of trying to do both.

Also, give us something to play for week 13 if we lose week 12.

Last edited by a moderator:
You will be playing for the big money the next 3 weeks. Sounds a bit like you are crying because you lost last week.
I don't think so. I was the 3 seed, and since I lost last week ... Consolation round.The way my seeding worked out, the top 2 points scorers played each other week 12. Ironicly, if I had 3 more regular season losses, I would be league champ.

Yep that blows. I suggested they make the 1 seed the highest point scorer and the 2 seed the best record.

I would make the 3 seed the team with the second most pts and the 4 seed the team with 2nd best record.

The 1 seed would never play a 'better' team in the 1st round if u do this, at least points wise. And the 3 seed who is 2nd in pts , and probably got screwed by the schedule would be the better team then the 2, a fair amt of the time.

Cause when u think about it, this tournament at the end of the day is rewarding the teams who put up the most points (ie Championship rd)

And i dont think many would be opposed to this since you're still rewarding the best record with the 2 seed and automatic bid into the champ. round.

I'd say do away with record alltogether. It makes no sense. In my league the 4 seed had a losing record (5-6) but got the seed due to points. He will end up finishing 2nd because the 1 seed (best record) did not have a very good team, so he got a cake walk to the finals.

Then the 2 best teams (first and second in points) had to play each other week 12 and now the team that scored the most points in the playoffs is going to the consolation round.

I'd say do away with record alltogether. It makes no sense. In my league the 4 seed had a losing record (5-6) but got the seed due to points. He will end up finishing 2nd because the 1 seed (best record) did not have a very good team, so he got a cake walk to the finals.
Well u cant do away with records. You want teams to have a chance to win their leagues. For every garbage 3 seed, there were a ton of quality ones. So a 7-4 team with decent, but not great points total, should be able to still win his league or get 2nd place even. No records, you'll have 1/2 the tournament abandoning their teams, then what? Now the FA pool is skewed cause those teams arent even picking up guys. And at the end of the day, the top 2 point scorers in every league made the playoffs. So hard to complain really. But hey, what happened to you happens in all sports. Any team can win 'any given sunday'. The Broncos arent given a free ride to the superbowl. They could lose the 6 seed in rd 2 and be done. It happens...

I understand. It just sucks that this week I put up the most points of any team all year, and the game was absolutely meaningless.

If you are going to have a week 13 game that is effectively for 3rd place, 3rd place should win something.

Also, the 2 top scoring teams should never play each other in the first round.

I understand. It just sucks that this week I put up the most points of any team all year, and the game was absolutely meaningless.

If you are going to have a week 13 game that is effectively for 3rd place, 3rd place should win something.

Also, the 2 top scoring teams should never play each other in the first round.
No you're right about that. Its a meaningless week 13 game for the 3 or 4 seed who loses in the 1st rd. I could see starting the consolation in week 13 for everyone not in the finals. but the issue is a team like mine, im the 3 seed in the championship game who may or may not lose. lol

Even if it was the 1 or 2 seed, it's meaningless. Every league has 2 teams playing a meaningless game this week.

Even if it was the 1 or 2 seed, it's meaningless. Every league has 2 teams playing a meaningless game this week.
Right but they have the championship rds to look fwd to, but what other format/league pays out a 3rd place team? I understand it means nothing to the teams who lose 1st rd of playoffs but ive never seen 3rd place paid out for anything.

But yea they shouldnt have the 2 losing teams 'facing off' on the site. Semantics really. The only matchup that should be showing on the site at least is the championship.

I agree. All it does is accentuate the failure in the seedings. It seems crazy to me that my team, who had the 2nd best record and second most points on the year, goes into the playoffs and puts up the most total points over those 2 weeks, and I am the only team of the 4 that didn't win anything.

Record should matter, so should points, thus, my favorite format is Victory Points. For those unfamiliar, each week you can earn up to 4 points--2 points for a win, 1 point for tie, 0 for loss & 2 points for a score ranking in top third of the league, 1 point for middle third and zero for bottom third point total for the week. Awesome and unequalled fairness to establish league standings. If applied to FFPC/FPC leagues, the top 4 in Victory Points after week 11 make league playoffs, with top two getting automatic berths in championship round. Each week you are judged on win and points scored, even if you score second most points but get beat, sucks, but you still get something in standings.

LionSlappy said:
Record should matter, so should points, thus, my favorite format is Victory Points. For those unfamiliar, each week you can earn up to 4 points--2 points for a win, 1 point for tie, 0 for loss & 2 points for a score ranking in top third of the league, 1 point for middle third and zero for bottom third point total for the week. Awesome and unequalled fairness to establish league standings. If applied to FFPC/FPC leagues, the top 4 in Victory Points after week 11 make league playoffs, with top two getting automatic berths in championship round. Each week you are judged on win and points scored, even if you score second most points but get beat, sucks, but you still get something in standings.
That is a good idea.

After Week 12, you have two winners and two losers.

The winners play, presumably for first and second place. But WHY?

At the end of Week 13, you have a 2-0 team (winner), an 0-2 team (loser) and two 1-1 teams.

Should not the 1-1 team with the highest point total for the two weeks win 2nd place? That makes better sense.

If not, why the hell do you have the two losers playing each other in week 13 if there is no prize.

That's ridiculous!

If there is no change in this (at least a rule where the top 2 point scorers can't be seeded against each other) then I don't think I will play again next year. Are there any plans to address these issues?

If there is no change in this (at least a rule where the top 2 point scorers can't be seeded against each other) then I don't think I will play again next year. Are there any plans to address these issues?
We understand that we can't please everyone but we feel that we have a solid format as a whole and unless we see glaring problems, there are no plans to make any changes to the contest format.

Alex- maybe the simple solution is not to have a 3rd place vs 4th place game since its meaningless for the Footballguys tourney

Alex- maybe the simple solution is not to have a 3rd place vs 4th place game since its meaningless for the Footballguys tourney
That's a software issue. The software doesn't know whether there is a prize for the 3rd place game and simply places both losing teams into a matchup. Since we have the same contest format in the FFPC Main Event where there IS a 3rd place prize, the software is the same for both contests. We can probably get rid of the 3rd place game for next year if this is a bother, no worries.

We understand that we can't please everyone but we feel that we have a solid format as a whole and unless we see glaring problems, there are no plans to make any changes to the contest format.
You don't see the top 2 point scorers being seeded to play each other in the first round as a glaring problem? The second place winner in my league didn't even have a winning record.

That's a software issue. The software doesn't know whether there is a prize for the 3rd place game and simply places both losing teams into a matchup. Since we have the same contest format in the FFPC Main Event where there IS a 3rd place prize, the software is the same for both contests. We can probably get rid of the 3rd place game for next year if this is a bother, no worries.
The real issue is that every week of the playoffs or the regular season, it matters how many points you score. That is true for 10 out of 12 teams in each league. For 2 teams the points they score in week 13 (the week we have been building our team all year to be competitive in) have absolutely zero value.Even worse, it's possible that those two teams could be the best teams in their league, that just had 1 off week or faced a team on a heater that had 1 player (see Josh Gordon) that just went off. If it's possible for a team to put up the most points overthe 2 weeks of the league playoffs, and not win anything, then your system should be based on record and not record AND points. If record is all that matters weeks 12 and 13, then that's also how the seeding should be determined.

At the very least it should be mentioned in the rules that for 2 teams in each league, week 13 will not count for anything. That way at least people know up front it is a possibility.

Really dont get your beef to be honest. Its fantasy football. Very often the best teams 'dont' win. I'm sure there were a TON of teams who lost to a lesser team in the 1st rd. it happens. If you were that great of a team you would have won the 2 seed and automatic bid at the very least. Yes the week 13 game is meaningless for all the playoff losers but knowing the rules prior to the start, I was aware of this. As were most teams I'd imagine.

Your real beef should be with the 'Consolation Bowl'. I think they need to put more $ into that part of the contest. So teams who yes got unlucky can have more of a chance for $ or free entries at the very least.

Really dont get your beef to be honest. Its fantasy football. Very often the best teams 'dont' win. I'm sure there were a TON of teams who lost to a lesser team in the 1st rd. it happens. If you were that great of a team you would have won the 2 seed and automatic bid at the very least. Yes the week 13 game is meaningless for all the playoff losers but knowing the rules prior to the start, I was aware of this. As were most teams I'd imagine.

Your real beef should be with the 'Consolation Bowl'. I think they need to put more $ into that part of the contest. So teams who yes got unlucky can have more of a chance for $ or free entries at the very least.
Throwing a fit because he lost, nothing more.

Not throwing a fit, just see nowhere in the rules where it explains that 2 playoff teams from each league play a meaningless week 13 game. I was not aware of this until it happened, and I don't see how you could be aware of this ahead of time. Points matter, every week of the year, for every team, besides the 2 first round playoff losers in week 13. Points scored by those teams that week count for nothing.

Also, if you go by record I was the #2 seed. If you go by points I was the #2 seed. But because this contest tries to combine record and points to determine seeding, I was the #3 seed. This ended up costing me $1500. So, yeah, I am a little unhappy about how it turned out. Don't mean to come across as a whiner by any means, and I would like to play in this contest next year. However, the fact that it is possible for both league's top scorers to play each other in the first week of the playoffs (meaning that one of them gets eliminated) imho is a glaring problem, that should be addressed.

Dude you really need to read the rules of a contest before you join it rather then complain about said rules after the fact. Straight out of the 'Official Rules' section:

Footballguys Players Championship Consolation Round

All teams that participated in the League Playoffs but did not qualify for the Championship Round will compete in the Consolation Round which will run during NFL Weeks 14, 15 and 16. In addition, any team which did not qualify for the League Playoffs but finished in the top 20% of the FPC Overall Leaderboard after Week 11 will also qualify for the Consolation Round (i.e. based on 4,000 teams, the top 800 teams are considered as the top 20%). Each team will start the Consolation Round with their one-game point average from the regular season (weeks 1-11) and will be seeded according to these points. Points scored during Weeks 12 & 13 are not counted toward this one-game average. Consolation Round winner(s) will be determined based on each team's total points scored during Weeks 14, 15 & 16 and added to their one-game point average from the regular season. The team with the most points will be the Consolation Round winner and will win prize(s) as listed in the Prize section. The team(s) with the next highest points will win prizes as listed in the Prize section.

It specifically outlines the format for all playoff losers/consolation bowl participants. I was definitely aware that if u lost week 1 of the playoffs and you were the 3/4 seed, you went right to this Consolation Bowl. The fact that it doesn't say week 13 is meaningless for the playoff losers is well pretty dam obvious to me at least. Because it shows an actual matchup on the website you think it's a big deal I guess I don't know why but ok. What fantasy leagues reward 1st rd losers anyways?

And as for the seeding issue, again Read the Rules. Not trying to sound like a jerk but all of the seeding is clearly laid out for you before you enter this thing. Did u not think it was possible to be the 3 seed but score the 2nd most Pts? Come on man.

Look, I'm not asking for a refund or anything here. I'm not saying my team deserves to win anything this year. I am pointing out some things in the rules that I think could be fixed. I think there should be some way to prevent the top 2 points scorers from playing each other in the first round. This is only possible because of the strange seeding this contest uses. I think the rule should be changed for next year to prevent this from happening. Period. End of rant.

Again, you want to minimize that 'luck' factor. But thats a part of fantasy. If you were a crappy 1 seed who ended up winning the league, i doubt you'd be complaining about this format.

In my other league, the 2nd highest scoring team (12 teams, 6 playoff teams) didnt even make playoffs! Its just fantasy man.

I had suggested also that they flip flop the 1 and 2 seeds since yes the top 2 teams (scoring wise) could face each other 1st rd. But after some thought, i think that would deter alot of folks from entering this. Yes the grand prize is completely pts based, but its a H2H format at its heart. And when there is a H2H matchups, luck will always be a factor. The only way to cancel out luck in fantasy is doing a strict pts league. And in doing that, you'd probably lose 1/2 the entrants.

Users who are viewing this thread