What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pat Tillman HOF? (1 Viewer)

Bri

Footballguy
Cris Collinsworth was saying yesterday he's eligible and should be automatic for the HOF, type of guy people should want in etc.

Naturally I don't disagree with much of the love for Pat but the NFL/USA lost a lot of football players in WWII and well I'd like to know if they're in the HOF as players or just a list? I think it's just a list.

Times are very different. During WWII it was somewhat normal to lose precious lives to the war. Despite the obvious fact that we too were in war, people now are almost shocked and probably sadder as they haven't been conditioned by the continuous flow of death notices like the people in the WWII era.

What's the right thing to do here?

Cris Collinsworth was saying yesterday he's eligible and should be automatic for the HOF, type of guy people should want in etc.Naturally I don't disagree with much of the love for Pat but the NFL/USA lost a lot of football players in WWII and well I'd like to know if they're in the HOF as players or just a list? I think it's just a list.Times are very different. During WWII it was somewhat normal to lose precious lives to the war. Despite the obvious fact that we too were in war, people now are almost shocked and probably sadder as they haven't been conditioned by the continuous flow of death notices like the people in the WWII era. What's the right thing to do here?
If we just keep the conversation about Tillman then I say yes he should get in.........if you start talking about well so and so died during whatever war...maybe not....but if you are doing that I think you are missing the point.....Edit to say: it's the Hall of Fame.........not the Hall of Stats

Last edited by a moderator:
Never been to the football hall of fame but been to Cooperstown several times. Is there a special wing there,like in baseball,where a person like Tillman could be honored for his sacrifice? And all who served in war, for that matter, who played the game. If so,he belongs there,if not,it should be done.

Never been to the football hall of fame but been to Cooperstown several times. Is there a special wing there,like in baseball,where a person like Tillman could be honored for his sacrifice? And all who served in war, for that matter, who played the game. If so,he belongs there,if not,it should be done.
That's the right move.

Just looked to see what the "requirements" were for induction. There's just a very broad statement of selecting "the best the game has produced". Could be interpreted many ways,probably by design to allow for owners,office and league personnel,for example Pete Rozelle,George Halas,Wellington Mara,etc. I could see an argument either way in regards to Tillman. Personnally,if I made a trip to Canton,I'd like to see him honored in some way.

If we just keep the conversation about Tillman then I say yes he should get in.........if you start talking about well so and so died during whatever war...maybe not....but if you are doing that I think you are missing the point.....
what am I missing then?The awful thought process of deciding if Pat's life was more valuable to this country than those football players that died in WWII or Korea or Vietnam?He was killed by friendly fire. What if someone lost their brother in Vietnam as he was saving american lives and won a medal (just suppose) but that soldier isn't in. How would that person feel when Pat's inducted but his brother isn't?I snipped your it's the HOF not the hall of stats. Just about any war historian will tell you that the most famous were not necessarily the best soldiers but those that performed well near the press during an engagement. War and fame is yet another touchy subject.

Just looked to see what the "requirements" were for induction. There's just a very broad statement of selecting "the best the game has produced". Could be interpreted many ways,probably by design to allow for owners,office and league personnel,for example Pete Rozelle,George Halas,Wellington Mara,etc. I could see an argument either way in regards to Tillman. Personnally,if I made a trip to Canton,I'd like to see him honored in some way.
Agreed. I could see RG pushing for something like this more than Tags would have.

No.

Just curious, though...name the Vietnam/Korean/WWII players KIA that keep being referred to obliquely.

Where does Joe Delaney fit into this discussion?

From wiki:

Delaney had a lifelong history of helping others,[6] and once paid for the funeral of a former teacher whose family could not afford a proper service.[3] On June 29, 1983, at Critter's Creek–a since-closed amusement park at Chennault Park in Monroe, Louisiana–Delaney dived into a pond and tried to save three children who were screaming for help.[3][6] The children were floundering in a water hole left by recent construction work.[3][12] The water hole, which covered two acres and was 20 feet deep,[3][13] was not intended to be a swimming pond but instead to be used to add aesthetics.[3] Despite his inexperience in swimming, Delaney tried to rescue the children.[5][14] One child was saved while two children and Delaney died by drowning.[3][6] Delaney was in the park with friends and had earlier encouraged the children not to go far out in the pond.[3]

From what I have heard about Tillman, I think he'd be offended by being inducted into the HOF because he'd know he didn't deserve it for what he did on the field, which is the standard for players.

I absolutely agree that those who both served and played should be honored in some way at the HOF. Tillman should be included and perhaps even be featured in that listing.

Didn't he die in friendly fire?
Yeah, and the whole story is disturbing. Not sure this is the place for that talk though.Probably not a HOF guy, but should be honored by the NFL in some respect.
It doesn't matter how he was killed, the incident happened because they were moving through very dangerous enemy territory. What the Army may or may not have done after is irrelevant to the fact that he gave up millions to serve and made it to a command position in an elite unit.

Yeah, and the whole story is disturbing. Not sure this is the place for that talk though.Probably not a HOF guy, but should be honored by the NFL in some respect.
Haven't the NFL already honored him? When is the "honor" of Tillman going to be enough? I think if the NFL puts Tillman in the HOF, that does a disservice to all other fallen servicemen.
I think this is an insulting argument to make. A huge part of the reasons for people like Tillman getting recognition is because they are larger than life versions of the multitudes that go unnoticed. Nobody is ever saying that PT was a better person or more deserving than any other soldier, but that they can honor all of them through this example who everybody knows about. And that's exactly the way PT would view something like this.I do agree that the NFL and the Cards have sufficiently honored his memory and sacrifice and the HoF is not the place for him. If OJ's activities outside of football don't remove him then I don't think PT's should get him in.

Haven't the NFL already honored him? When is the "honor" of Tillman going to be enough? I think if the NFL puts Tillman in the HOF, that does a disservice to all other fallen servicemen.
Yeah the NFL has honored him a few times if I recall. In my eyes it still isn't enough. Tillman was an example of all that is right in this country. He gave up a promising career and millions of dollars to do what very few people have the guts to do. The least the NFL could do is make a Pat Tillman award and give it to the player who does the most for troops and their families. Could be USO tours, charity events, helping the disabled veterans and such.

Was at the Pro Football Hall of Fame over the holidays and they do have a section that spotlights the NFL's war vets. There's a tribute there to Tillman with his picture and uniform and a video. They also had a nice display for Rocky Bleier that I liked.Sorry, don't have a pic. The battery in my camera died.

I'm all for honoring our fallen heros, but let's not change what the HOF is for. Having him honored in a special section of the HOF for vets, and having his number retired for the Cardinals is a pretty good way to honor him.

Absolutely no to the HOF.

He has been honored in other, more appropriate ways that would have meant more to him anyway.

No HOF.

Honor him as he (and all men and women who serve) deserves, but he was not an HOF football player

I'm all for honoring our fallen heros, but let's not change what the HOF is for. Having him honored in a special section of the HOF for vets, and having his number retired for the Cardinals is a pretty good way to honor him.
:unsure:

I think Pat Tillman was a Hall of Fame person, but not a Hall of Fame player based on his brief career.

-QG

Was at the Pro Football Hall of Fame over the holidays and they do have a section that spotlights the NFL's war vets. There's a tribute there to Tillman with his picture and uniform and a video. They also had a nice display for Rocky Bleier that I liked.Sorry, don't have a pic. The battery in my camera died.
Found one online: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...l%3Den%26sa%3DX

I would be up for a special wing that honored NFL heroes like Tillman or the previously mentioned Delaney who made sacrifices for others and lost their lives outside of the game. It's good PR for the league and I don't see how it takes away from other inductees. I think it would be a popular addition.

He shouldn't be in the HOF. If the Cardinals really wanted to honor him why don't they name their stadium Pat Tillman Memorial Stadium? Or set up a college fund for children of servicemen/women?

If there was ever an exception to a rule that I would support, it would be Pat Tillman in the HOF.

He should definetly get in. The selection system is not being tarnished. Obviosuly people will realize he is there for his character/service to his country and NOT because he racked up a certain amount of tackles.

As for Sean Taylor-

Maybe they could put a memorial or something in the HOF without officially electing him.

Users who are viewing this thread