What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** 2013 MINNESOTA VIKINGS SEASON THREAD (1 Viewer)

Beo

Footballguy
I thought I would get this going since kickoff of week 1 is just days away and I didnt see another one started yet. I started last years and we went to the playoffs and I am superstitious......lol. Let's get ready for an interesting season! SKOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Minnesota Vikings

QB Christian Ponder - I am hoping somehow the light turns on for Ponder and he makes everyone bashing him eat their words. But realistically, he just does not have good body language, seems uncomfortable playing QB and I am not sure if that will ever change.

QB Matt Cassel - Serviceable back up who can be alright as a game manager for this offense, which is all the Vikings really need from the position. If Ponder struggles I don't think the Vikings will be slow with the hook so he may be starting at some point this season.

QB McLeod John Baltazar Bethel-Thompson - As usual the QB who has played the least is always the fan favorite. That is until they actually get a chance to play. He actually looks promising, shows more confidence than either Ponder or Cassell and seems to have a very live arm. Could be a surprisingly good player if the other 2 fail/get injured.

RB Adrian Peterson aka ALL DAY - One of the best players of the modern era. Is so good that people are tired of talking about it. Is widely considered the "no brainer" best player in FF. For once I think the majority of people are right. Will be looking to break Eric Dickersons single season rushing record and it is not just something players say as one of their goals. This guy could actually do it. Peterson also wants to play long enough to break Emmit Smith's all time rushing record. If healthy (huge knock on wood) he just might be able to do both. Best RB I have had the pleasure to watch since Walter Payton.

RB Toby Gerhart - A bigger RB who needs a lot of carries to reach full effectiveness. Will never get those carries unless Peterson is injured. Complete RB although a bit slower than most starters to my eyes. Good in pass protection and great on screen plays/quality receiver. Which is surprising considering the defense should know this, yet somehow he always seems to find a way to get open on these obvious 3rd down change ups. Free agent after this season who may get a shot with another team if he leaves similar to how Michael Turner did.

RB Matt Asiata - Another big RB similar to Toby Gerhart just not as good. Quality special teams player.

RB Zach Line - A HB/FB tweener. Fits the same mold as Gerhart and the heir to his role if Toby leaves after this season. Could develop into a quality FB in time as well. Has shown good hands in the receiving game much like Gerhardt. Will be useful on special teams.

TE Kyle Rudolph - Great hands and improving as a blocker. Becoming a well rounded TE and made the Pro Bowl last season. Possibly one of the better TE in the league, but needs better QB play to really be able to evaluate him fairly.

TE John Carlson - Struggled with injuries after signing as a free agent last season. Healthy now and could see more action in the passing game. Primarily a blocker (and decent one) in the Vikings offense that does a lot of screens/misdirection.

TE/FB Rhett Ellison - Will likely be the main FB while Jerome Felton sits 3 games due to DUI suspension. Quality blocker who is somewhat unheralded for the fine work he did as a rookie last season paving the way for Peterson and Harvin. Wears number 40 in honor of now retired Jimmy Kleinsasser and has played up to that billing so far. Important player for the Vikings blocking schemes.

FB Jerome Felton - Did an excellent job lead blocking for Adrian Peterson last season and a important part of what has taken the running game to another level. Will miss 3 games but the Vikings have enough other mobile beef to keep chooglin until he gets back.

LT Matt Kalil - Played better than expected as a rookie. Great LT who is athletic as a TE. Often gets to the second level on blocks and quickly. The Vikings have had many quality LT in their history but Kalil may be the best one yet. Has struggled in preseason a bit. Hopefully he can play as well as he did last season.

LG Charlie Johnson - 3rd year with the team. Johnson was over matched as a LT but is decent as a guard. The continuity on the offensive line is important and hard to complain about the job they did as a unit last season. Still perhaps the weakest link among the starting 5.

C John Sullivan - Had a minor micro-fracture surgery to his knee this off season. But hopefully fully healthy now and ready to go. Can struggle a bit at times against massive DTs but does a good job of holding his own. Very good at moving defenders sideways away from the play in the run game.

RG Brandon Fusco - A developmental player from a small school who has taken some time to come into his own. Split time last season but kept getting more snaps as the season wore on. Punishing run blocker who still is working on pass protection.

RT Phil Loadholt - Has really worked hard and gotten better. Played with Peterson in Oklahoma so there is a ton of chemistry/familiarity between them. Has gotten into better shape each of the last 2 years and a devastating run blocker. Struggles at times against quicker pass rushing ends his main weakness.

Backup linemen - J'Marcus Webb-Tackle Joe Berger- C/G and new comer Jeff Baca is listed as the back up LG and may push him for snaps. Berger is a veteran who has been with the team for awhile and can back up at center or guard if needed and in rotation. Baca being groomed to possibly replace Charlie Johnson in time. Travis Bond and Kevin Murphy were stashed on the practice squad. Seth Olsen was stashed on IR. DeMarcus Love is suspended by the commissioner. Not sure if the Vikings will have room for him when he comes back.

Oh yeah. The Vikings have some Wide Receivers.

Greg Jennings - Veteran receiver brought in from the Packers. Will play Z for the Vikings and potentially high volume receptions. A pros pro and great technician/student of the game. Will be used primary to move the chains when needed.

Cordarrelle Patterson - Rookie WR who should return kicks and will also be used at X receiver. Very elusive in the open field. Will be used on screens and running plays as well. Needs to work on his route running but the Vikings will find ways to get him the ball. Has shown good hands catching, plenty of speed and moves to make defenders miss. Similar prospect to Percy Harvin although may be used somewhat differently.

Jarius Wright - Back up Z receiver who will also play some slot. Good all around receiver with sleeper like potential if the Vikings were a passing team. They are not.

Joe Webb - Former QB now moved to WR. Has shown good hands and is a team favorite. Will be used quite a bit on constraint plays much like Percy Harvin was. Webb adds another element as a passer for trick plays for the defense to worry about. Big like a TE and great leaping ability for the red zone. Had some key blocks in preseason including on the kick return for a TD. Will be fun to see how the Vikings use him. Conservative nature of Leslie Frazier will likely keep things from getting too crazy.

Jerome Simpson - Starting X WR but as others have mentioned, will likely be supplanted by Patterson sooner than later. Simpson is ok but needs to play much better than he has so far. He did have some really good blocks for Peterson last season. He may not have been fully healthy with back issues last season.

Bottom line, the Vikings do not even try to be pretty on offense. Their game is to smash you and keep smashing you and try to win ugly with good defense. As the league becomes more and more about the passing game the Vikings are going the other direction. There is nothing simple about this however as the Vikings use some of the most diverse blocking schemes in the league. All of those TE and FB I mentioned are not there for your fantasy team. They are there to crush defenders trying to stop the run. They are deployed in multiple formations to get the right mis matches. The whole team plays inspired because of Peterson. Who wouldn't want to give their all blocking for him? All it takes is one block and he is house. This is what the Vikings are all about.

Special Teams - The Vikings have explosive kick and punt returners as special teams is a point of emphasis for the Vikings due to them being a running team. The primary kick returners will likely be Cordarrelle Patterson and Marcus Sherels. On punts for now it will be Marcus Sherels or Jarius Wright although Cordarrelle Patterson could be used there later on in the season or if they need a big play.

Kicker Blair Walsh broke a record for field goals over 50 yards last season so you know they are not afraid to let him kick from places a lot of teams might choose to punt.

The Vikings did add a rookie punter Jeff Locke in the draft who is good at dropping punts near the goal line to help the defense.

Defense. The Vikings have been playing some version of the 4-3 defense for as long as I can remember. They were playing this defense before that as well. The cover 2 defense which became the primary defense league wide for a period of time has many of its roots originating with the Vikings. With due respect also to the Steelers of the 70's. Tony Dungy began his defensive coaching career with the Vikings and brought their system to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, which combined with some very good players turned the Bucs franchise around and then caught fire across the league. Those days are over now as more defenses shift back to 3-4 and flex alignments. The Vikings play many more defenses than the cover 2 but when they do play it they are very good at it. The Vikings main front is the 4-3 over which features Chad Greenway as the strong side linebacker. The Viking defensive ends are all capable of doing well in coverage on zone blitzes. Jared Allen and Everson Griffin have snared interceptions from the DE position. There are many wrinkles to this defense that have evolved over the past 50 years. It always irks me when people talk about the Vikings defense being only the cover 2. Just tells me they do not know what the Vikings defense is really doing. That's a good thing though, opposing offenses don't always know either.

The main strength of the Vikings defense is the defensive line.

RDE Jared Allen - An aging veteran who played through a shoulder injury last season. He only had 12 sacks which is a down year for Allen who recorded 22 the season before. The offense is doing a better job of controlling the ball now. So Allen will likely never have so many opportunities again. The Vikings play in a pass happy division however with the Packers, Lions and now the Bears with Trestman should also throw the ball more frequently. Allen is good against the run as well. In a contract year.

LDE Brian Robinson - Although not as gifted as Allen, Robinson is a very sound player, good against the run and also as a pass rusher. Has had over 8 sacks the last 2 seasons as a starter. Also very good at causing pass deflections at the line. Maybe this season he intercepts one of those. In a contract year. George Johnson backs up Griffen and may be following the career path to starting after this season as the Vikings are not likely able to keep all 3 of their free agent starting quality DE's.

DE/UT Everson Griffen - Played very well last season in rotation with Allen and Robinson as well as playing very well at under tackle at times. Had 8 sacks and a interception returned for a TD last season. Will likely have more playing time one way or another due to being able to play so many spots on the line. In a contract year.

NT Letroy Guion/Fred Evans/Chase Baker - I think Evans is the best NT option here. Guion has more speed but is not as good at the point of attack. Chase Baker was on the Vikings practice squad last season and moves up to the 53 this year. The Vikings will likely use Kevin Williams here at times and Sharrif Floyd can play NT as well. The Vikings will use a rotation and have a lot of versatility here. The only thing they are missing is a true massive NT like they had for awhile in Pat Williams. It is possible that Floyd could be that kind of a plug in time but he may need a year before approaching that level. Floyd is good enough to play DE as well which will allow the Vikings to disguise things on twists and zone blitzes. The Vikings very easily can shift to what might be functionally similar to a 3-4 front after the snap while giving the same boring 4-3 look.

UT Kevin Williams/Sharrif Floyd/Everson Griffen - Depending on Williams health he will likely play here on early downs and move to nose on passing downs. Most of the NT players are more natural 3 technique or as the Vikings call it under-tackle. This has traditionally been the best Vikings defender. Ketih Millard and John Randle being the predicessors to Williams. KW is getting older now and took a cheap shot to his knee during pre-season. But once he is healthy, he still has some good downs in him. The Vikings are very deep at all of their defensive line positions. With a lot of different players who excell at different things, which allows the defense to take advantage of known weaknesses of opposing offensive linemen.

SLB Chad Greenway - The forms of the 4-3 defense over fronts are designed to take advantage of Greenway. A solid tackler who can defeat blocks and play coverage. Seems to be getting better with age. Backed up by special teamer Larry Dean who has been with the team for awhile. Desmond Bishop might be able to play here if Greenway misses any time.

MLB Erin Henderson - Henderson is a solid tackler but has been a liability in pass coverage as the weak side LB. Hopefully he will fair better playing the middle like his brother did before him. Henderson makes me worry somewhat if they use him as the nickle LB. I am hoping someone else steps up for that role. Backups are Audie Cole. Desmond Bishop. Michael Mauti.

WLB Marvin Mitchell/Desmond Bishop/Gerald Hodges - I expect Bishop to play the most here. But for the time being the Vikings list Mitchell as the starter. Hodges might be a candidate for the nickle LB position in time. The LBers have good depth and the Vikings kept most of their players on the 53 instead of risking them through waivers.

There are still some unknowns about the LB group but they have more quality depth than in recent years.

LCB Xavier Rhodes - Rookie corner drafted by the Vikings in the 1st round of 2013. The Vikings have not drafted a corner this high since Carl Lee. Rhodes is good in press coverage and will likely be tested often early on because he is a rookie. Very physical player who should be good in run support as well. The Vikings are focusing on creating more turnovers and Rhodes may be a big part of that.

SS Harrison Smith - The Vikings list Smith as the FS but the way I have seen them play Smith is more likely to be playing closer up to the line with partner Jamarca Sanford more often playing center field. Smith led the safeties in tackles and I often see him lining up somewhere behind Greenway who will play the strong side. I think the reason they are listed this way is mostly because Smith was considered a FS as a rookie prospect, so that just stuck. Both safeties are interchangeable in the defense. Very fast. Smith has good ball skills and is a good hitter. Backed up by Andrew Sendejo who hopefully only sees the field on special teams.

FS Jamarca Sanford - Became a much better player after being paired with Harrison Smith. Has played very well as gunner on special teams. Very fast. Needs to work on his coverage and took some bad angles in run support at times. Still getting better. Mistral Raymond is the back up and a more natural CB/FS player but seemed to lack instincts in brief time he played. QB magnet when he hits the field.

RCB Chris Cook - Cook is a big corner good in run support and has held his own when healthy. May be the weakest link of the 4 starters now if Rhodes develops quickly. Teams did not pick on him last season much so he must have been doing something right. In a contract year. Backed up by AJ Jefferson who has good althleticism, but seems to have trouble tracking and holding on to the ball despite often being in position to make the play. Jefferson also likely the dime corner back.

Nickle/Slot CB Josh Robinson - Made some big plays as a rookie last season. Looked really bad in pre-season against the 49ers. Played outside last season so may not be suited to take over the role yet. Could be used outside instead if the Vikings decide to play Rhodes here. Another option would be back up safety Robert Blanton who has been ok in spot duty.

The secondary is likely the weakness of the defense once again. Antoine Winfield will be missed. If he decides to un-retire I hope he gives the Vikings a call. The development of Rhodes and Robinson are the keys to how good this defense can be.

Last edited by a moderator:
J'Marcus Webb should be able to provide the Vikings an inside view of what Trestman is up to for week 2 as well.

I need not search for precious gold;
Of wealth, I have my share.
For with my eyes, I scan the skies
And find my fortune there.
A host of priceless dreams unfold
In songs that bluebirds sing.
The earth, the sea belong to me
Im richer than a king.
To add to things that money cannot buy,
An echo brings this very soft reply:
Yes! We have no bananas!
We have no bananas today!
Weve string beans and onions,
Cabrillas and scallions,
And all kinds of fruit and ****.
We have an old-fashioned tomato;
Long Island potato;
But, yes! We have no bananas!
We have no bananas today!
Yes, we no-nje gotta de bananos.
We no-nje gotta-da banano today, but one-a menoots!
We gotta new kinda garlic
When-a use-a dees garlic,
It-a meka you stand apart-a from-a you friends.
We gotta 64,000 watermelone!
We don't-a sell any, but the guy we buyem from
Mama mia! Does he sell a watermelone!
But-a yes! We no-nje gotta the bananas. Hey, why you-on?
We no-nje gotta de bananos today!
Yes! Ah, we have no bananas!
What's that? An half a banana?
Now what good is a banana split? Uh-huh-huh-huh!
We have a muttons, and buttons,
And kippers with zippers,
And pounds of devaluated pounds
Banana: S T I N K !
They aint no stinkin bananas!
Precisely! They aint no stinking bananas!
Yes! Ah, we have no bananas!
Pip pip, cheerio, and *******! Uh-huh-huh-huh!
Yes, we aint got bananas.
We aint got bananas today.
We got pickles and crocks;
We got bagels and locks;
A bagel that's-a done-a dipped in cement.
We got delicious knishes and kosher champagne
The kosher champagne there's two cents plain;
Pastrami, salami, matzos, and jam.
You should pardon the expression: We even got ham!
But yes, we aint got bananas.
We aint got bananas today.

41-17 Lions

I think Ponder struggles to keep the ball away from Strafford and AP is human week 1. 334 and 4 td's for Stafford. Cassel should be in by the third qtr but Frazier won't make the move. Josh Robinson, what's left of him, lays burned beyond recognition and melts into Ford Field.

I find your lack of faith disturbing. :football:

Minnesota swept this series last year. They have either won or covered the current spread in 8 of the last 10 of this series.

The Lions are 2-8 Against The Sperad in their last 10 vs. NFC North. They are 0-4-1 ATS in their last 5 games in September.

So with all things pointing to a potential Minnesota cover, what might stop us from placing a bet on the Vikings in this game?

J'Marcus Webb is certainly a nice late addition to this Vikings squad but they have lost Percy Harvin while the Lions gain Reggie Bush.

But alas Minnesota still has Adrian Peterson.

Most of the experts agree the Vikings are not likely to carry on the success of last year, but we shall see….

http://www.gambling911.com/football-news/vikings-vs-lions-betting-line-week-1-090313.html
Stop me if you've heard this before: Unleash Purple Jesus. Adrian Peterson is the straw that stirs the drink in Minnesota's offense, and the Vikings were wise to limit him in the pre-season. But Sunday, they will unleash him, and he should do very well. In 11 career games against Detroit (he missed one in 2011 due to his knee injury) he has rushed for 1165 yards, or 106 yards per game, on average. He has eclipsed 100 yards seven times against the Lions, and in those games the Vikings are 7-0. In the other four games, the Vikings are 1-3. The Lions were also the first team that Peterson went over 100 yards on last year, so hey, let's keep this little tradition going. http://www.dailynorseman.com/2013/9/3/4691978/vikings-v-detroit-things-to-look-for

41-17 Lions

I think Ponder struggles to keep the ball away from Strafford and AP is human week 1. 334 and 4 td's for Stafford. Cassel should be in by the third qtr but Frazier won't make the move. Josh Robinson, what's left of him, lays burned beyond recognition and melts into Ford Field.
I don't think we'll get killed by the Lions because... well, they are the Lions. That said, we probably will lose, and it probably will be due to our inability to pass, and that inability to pass will undoubtedly be blamed on the OL and lack of chemistry with new WRs (and who's fault will that be?). Honestly, I couldn't even listen to the Frazier/Paul Allen KFAN segment yesterday without turning off the radio. As candid as Frazier can be talking about the need for some younger players to prove themselves for the Vikes to succeed, he downright exaggerates Ponder's growth. There's a fine line between walking the company line and sounding legitimately brainwashed.

I think the offensive and defensive lines are going to be strengths...and if they are strengths, your team should be good. They will be better than people think.

As candid as Frazier can be talking about the need for some younger players to prove themselves for the Vikes to succeed, he downright exaggerates Ponder's growth. There's a fine line between walking the company line and sounding legitimately brainwashed.
Agreed...

If we hear one more time from Frazier that he never even considered pulling Ponder in the 4th quarter of a winnable game where he had less than 100 yards passing...I'm going to gently lob a small-soft pillow at my TV and scream in utter disgust.

I really want to see Ponder succeed because I love the the make-up of this team (other than QB and LB) and he really seems like a bright personality you want to root for...but his footwork didn't look any better this pre-season than 2012...he still doesn't seem comfortable enough to step into a throw to get any kind of zip on it and it's one high throw after another.

Skol Vikings, let's win this game,

Skol Vikings, honor your name,

Go get that first down,

Then get a touchdown.

Rock 'em . . . Sock 'em

Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!

Go Vikings, run up the score,

You'll hear us yell for more. . .

V-I-K-I-N-G-S

Skol, Vikings, let's go!

By the end of this season, this thread will be a debate about which QB we'll be taking in the first round and how we wasted another year of AP's prime....

Just sayin'.

Why don't you negative nancys pick another team to morn over?

If anyone needs me I will be in the ACF where I can get some more intelligent conversation.

Why don't you negative nancys pick another team to morn over?

If anyone needs me I will be in the ACF where I can get some more intelligent conversation.
Seriously? People who doubt Ponder are excommunicated and insulted as unintelligent? You provide great content at times Bia, but if that is your approach then I can't say I'll miss you. Have fun.

FunkyPlutos said:
I think the offensive and defensive lines are going to be strengths...and if they are strengths, your team should be good. They will be better than people think.
Agree completely on DL... if Allen is 100% this line is going to be rotating fresh talent and wreaking havoc. I think the OL is a definite asset as a run block unit but they don't seem able to pass protect worth a darn. Saw some of that again in preseason unfortunately.

I think Ponder was extremely unimpressive during the pre-season, but AP was not in and I'm hoping that changes the way the DF plays enough that Ponder can have some success when he needs to. Same for the OLine, they looked like they were struggling to pass protect, but that's against a DLine that doesn't have to worry about the run at all.

I really like how the team is built, and really don't get the negativism from the pundits and even many of the fans. Yes, if Ponder lays an egg, it could be a long year. But the DF is arguably stronger than last year (except maybe in the backfield) and the WR corp is stronger as well, even with Harvin being traded. AP should be the first RB to run for more than 1400 yards after hitting 2000 (I don't know about 2500, but 1500 is pretty reasonable).

My prediction for the season was 11-5, I have them sweeping the Lions and Bears, but splitting with GB. I am a bit worried about the Detroit game, because if it turns into a shootout, the Vikes are unlikely to be able to keep up. But the Vikes game plan is all about keeping it from turning into a shootout, and I think they can accomplish that. If not...I'll need to revise my predictions as they aren't the team I thought it was (and I'd say 8-8 is more likely in that case).

I am cautiously optimistic about the Vikings this season. Not sure they can get past SF or SEA in the post-season this year, but I think they'll probably get a chance.

Kalil, Loadholt Couldn't Be Less AlikePosted 1 hour ago

ap.jpg

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (AP) - With Matt Kalil under contract through 2015 and Phil Loadholt locked up a year longer than that, the Minnesota Vikings boast a sturdy and talented pair of offensive tackles they can include in the core of their roster for many more seasons.

The similarities of the recent high draft picks stop there, though. Kalil, the first-rounder in 2012, and Loadholt, a second-round selection in 2009, are about as opposite as players can be at the same position.

"We don't eat dinner together," Loadholt said, flashing a wry smile.

Diet is the root of their difference. The 6-foot-8 Loadholt, who carries as imposing of a physique as any player in the sport, tries to keep his weight at 335 pounds during the season. His story is more typical of the hulking modern NFL offensive lineman.

"He fasts a couple of days before weigh-ins," Kalil said. "I try to eat as much as I can."

That's because the 6-foot-7 Kalil has the metabolism of, well, a wide receiver. He wanted to play tight end in high school, a role he has the natural athleticism for, but his father, Frank, insisted to him and his coaches then that his son was going to be a left tackle.

To be effective, even in this age of sleek, speedy defensive ends in linebacker bodies, Kalil must be a 300-pounder.

Despite a bout with pneumonia last year that cost him 20 pounds as well as an offseason training regimen that he used to slim down to 280, Kalil arrived at training camp around 310 pounds. To stay there, he has to take in roughly 6,000 calories per day, slurping chalky protein shakes and wolfing down peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwiches between meals. He has spoken ruefully of this routine, describing his dislike for the constant consumption that sometimes makes him feel on the verge of vomiting.

On the other hand, this born-lean frame of his is big a reason why the Vikings took him with the fourth overall pick last year. His mobility is a skill that few others at his position around the league possess.

"I'm the strongest I've ever been and the fastest I've ever been, so I feel really good," Kalil said.

Loadholt is the relentless blocker on the right side the Vikings most often try to run Adrian Peterson behind, a studious player who has mostly overcome a penchant for false start penalties earlier in his career. Being three years older than Kalil, he'll offer a technique tip here or there. But because of their different sizes and blocking styles, there's not a lot about the way they play that can be compared.

Except that hard work thing.

"Neither one of us have got it all figured out by any means, but we're definitely working to improve each other together," Loadholt said.

Offensive line coach Jeff Davidson has the benefit of returning his entire group from a season in which all five of them started 16 games. That includes center John Sullivan, who's also under contract through 2016. Davidson's philosophy is to let each guy use the footwork and hand placement techniques they're most comfortable with and adept at, rather than pigeonholing them all into the same style. Considering the contrast that Kalil and Loadholt bring to the field, that approach is no better suited for a team than the Vikings.

"As a coach it takes longer to do it that way, but it's something I thought was important especially with the differences that we have," Davidson said. "Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing, I'll let somebody else judge that, but I just know that it's the way that I believe and I think it's been important for those guys."

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Kalil-Loadholt-Couldnt-Be-Less-Alike/ed44a282-fa54-4ba7-9f3e-b2921190acb3

Season prediction is the easiest of all time.. everything is on ponders shoulders..

If Ponder pulls his head out and plays like a NFL QB( heck at this point I'd take "plays like a college QB" ) and not a Pee Wee QB ( sorry if I insulted any Pee Wee QB's there ;) ) I say they go 10-6..

If Ponder plays like last year, where he had 3 games under 100 yards and 1 game of 111 yards, they will be lucky to get to 7-9 as the schedule is rough and AP isn't going to be able to carry the team all year.

As for this week..... Have a feeling the Lions defense isn't quite up to par on keeping AP in check and the Vikings win 20-17. : :football:

Man, that Loadholt-Kalil piece is interesting. Kalil seems like a "professional" with a drive to be great, but man, I sure hope he keeps that mentality and doesn't lose that edge. Hard to not be at least somewhat alarmed when a franchise piece isn't playing the position he wanted to and doesn't like having to eat the way he needs to to keep his weight up.

Watching last night's game with a heavy fantasy interest in Denver it reminded me of the exciting days of Pepper or Cunningham with CC, Moss, and Reed when every time the QB let a ball go you just knew it was going to be caught and the only questions were, who was it to, would it be a TD, a perfectly placed out with a great CC tap, or would the quick slant/cross allowing the runner to catch it in stride get the key block to turn the first down catch into a 20+ yard play.

Now we're happy with any pass completed beyond 5 yards and ecstatic if it allows any YAC at all. <_<

There was an article on ESPN 1500 the other day talking about how the Vikings need Ponder to be Flacco. Flacco has such a big arm that I immediately thought it was hardly fair to say Ponder needs to get to that but I couldn't help comparing what we've seen of Ponder to the way Flacco played lst night. What I came away with wasn't so much the arm strength but the release. When you watch an NFL qb deliver the ball it's easy to take for granted that the ball is "usually" delivered on time. The good one's do it with touch and accuracy, the bad one's don't. But the ball is generally delivered when it needs to be. When I watch Ponder, I find myself saying...."throw it.....THROW IT.....THROW the f'n BALL!!!"

I think I'm changing my arm strength tune to slow release. Now, is that a function of indecision? Compensating for arm strength by winding up with everything he's got? Poor mechanics? I seem to recall we were told during and after the draft that his mechanics were NFL ready so it's not likely that although he delivers the ball from some of the oddest releases and foot sets you'll ever see so maybe that's part of it.

Biabreakable made some strong cases last year for the fact that most, if not all, of Ponder's short comings are coachable. I seem to recall saying, "pppffffftttttt", to that. But let's pretend it's possible to coach and play himself onto another level and ask this question: Can anyone think of another example of a west coast offense QB (let's call him that for now) who displayed similar difficulty getting the ball downfield and then turned it around. And I'm not including guys like Randall Cunningham or Mike Vick who at times struggled getting the ball downfield accurately. I'm talking about guys who literally struggled because their ball floated and didn't zip.

I think the distinction is important because without adding size or arm strength I don't see how a guy can simply learn this and improve the skill. Better footwork, maybe?

I would like to believe that he can get better. I'm asking myself if it's reasonable to expect. Or maybe you believe I'm wrong and getting the ball downfield isn't a problem?

ETA: it was a Star Tribune atricle discussing Flacco. The ESPN article actually compared Ponder to Dalton which is probably more fair.

There was an article on ESPN 1500 the other day talking about how the Vikings need Ponder to be Flacco. Flacco has such a big arm that I immediately thought it was hardly fair to say Ponder needs to get to that but I couldn't help comparing what we've seen of Ponder to the way Flacco played lst night. What I came away with wasn't so much the arm strength but the release. When you watch an NFL qb deliver the ball it's easy to take for granted that the ball is "usually" delivered on time. The good one's do it with touch and accuracy, the bad one's don't. But the ball is generally delivered when it needs to be. When I watch Ponder, I find myself saying...."throw it.....THROW IT.....THROW the f'n BALL!!!"

I think I'm changing my arm strength tune to slow release. Now, is that a function of indecision? Compensating for arm strength by winding up with everything he's got? Poor mechanics? I seem to recall we were told during and after the draft that his mechanics were NFL ready so it's not likely that although he delivers the ball from some of the oddest releases and foot sets you'll ever see so maybe that's part of it.

Biabreakable made some strong cases last year for the fact that most, if not all, of Ponder's short comings are coachable. I seem to recall saying, "pppffffftttttt", to that. But let's pretend it's possible to coach and play himself onto another level and ask this question: Can anyone think of another example of a west coast offense QB (let's call him that for now) who displayed similar difficulty getting the ball downfield and then turned it around. And I'm not including guys like Randall Cunningham or Mike Vick who at times struggled getting the ball downfield accurately. I'm talking about guys who literally struggled because their ball floated and didn't zip.

I think the distinction is important because without adding size or arm strength I don't see how a guy can simply learn this and improve the skill. Better footwork, maybe?

I would like to believe that he can get better. I'm asking myself if it's reasonable to expect. Or maybe you believe I'm wrong and getting the ball downfield isn't a problem?

ETA: it was a Star Tribune atricle discussing Flacco. The ESPN article actually compared Ponder to Dalton which is probably more fair.
IMO, Ponder's issue is :scared:

I think at times he has proven he can throw a pretty accurate down field ball.. The coaching staff is partly at fault here as they don't call a lot of down field routes..

But even on short throws he seems so afraid of throwing INT's that if a guy is even slightly covered he looks elsewhere.. This is why you and I find ourselves yelling at the screen "THROW THE F'N BALL" :wall:

Again, maybe it is coaching and they need to tell him to just play like Favre and throw it no matter what and take your lumps and rewards ;)

This is exactly it in my opinion. Ponder has a few throws here and there (not every game) that have zip and a nice trajectory on them that are right where they need to be...and those are the decisive X-step drop-back and throw decisions where he knows he's able to step into a throw. Once that repetitive drop back and throw rhythm is lost and he's forced to improvise, his footwork is all over the place and rarely does he set his feet and step into a throw....drifting backwards, off of one foot, flat footed, hips pointing at his target, etc.

I think Musgrave has a lot to do with that...Webb regressed once Musgrave came aboard also and it was evident even last preseason that his footwork was terrible and he was floating pass after pass even though we know he's got a cannon and used to put a ton of zip behind it.

I haven't written him off completely, I'm hoping he's an Alex Smith type who reportedly just needs to fully understand a system and trust other players are going to do their part before he's able to take that next step. I hope the coaching staff changes their tune with him though...we've got a capable back-up and maybe Ponder just needs to feel his job is in jeopardy to get him through whatever that mental block is.

I think you guys make some good observations about Ponder's release of the ball. It is possible his multiple elbow injuries are a part of what makes this slower than many other QBs. Harder for him to quickly fling it out.

Another part of it is the footwork too, as well as the seeming lack of confidence to step up in the pocket and deliver the ball.

I do not think the Vikings need a QB to throw much more than 200 yards a game if everything else is working though. Some of the criticism comes from a league that is making 300 yards passing commonplace, while the Vikings are going the other direction with that. A good game for this team is 40 rushing attempts with 30 some passing attempts. If they can stay in the games and do this I don't think Ponder has to do much.

It is still only his 3rd season this year. Even a bit of improvement I think will be enough for the Vikings to win 10 games again. They need to win this one in Detroit. I think it will be very hard for them to win against the Bears week 2.

I listened to the press conference from Ponder the other day. It starts out kind of shaky. I think he had some things in his mind prepared to say.. but once he got up in front the camera.. it got away from him a bit. But eventually he calmed down in the face of some critical questions. Anyhow here is some of that-

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (AP) - Christian Ponder stepped to the podium for his first press conference of the 2013 regular season and, truth be told, kind of started to ramble.

"This is awesome. I know the whole team is excited, the whole organization is excited for this week," he said before catching himself with a chuckle. "I sound like Tim Tebow. I'm excited!"

Side-stepping blitzes from reporters and calmly deflecting scrutiny with some well-timed self-awareness has never been a problem for Ponder. It's on the field where his job as Minnesota Vikings quarterback has at times appeared to overwhelm him. And that's why his second full season as a starter could be considered make or break.

The Vikings are relying on Ponder to make big strides in 2013, from an inconsistent and mistake-prone youngster to a reliable and cocksure veteran worthy of sharing the same backfield with MVP running back Adrian Peterson. General manager Rick Spielman has said often that the Vikings expected there to be some tough times early in Ponder's development and that Year 3 was always going to be the season where it all came together.

Ponder begins Year 3 on Sunday in Detroit. After an inconclusive preseason, the time for talk is nearly over. Now it's up to him to prove the support from Spielman and head coach Leslie Frazier is justified.

The Vikings added veteran Greg Jennings and rookie first-rounder Cordarrelle Patterson in the offseason to bolster a nondescript receiving corps. Pro Bowl tight end Kyle Rudolph is back as well as the entire offensive line and, of course, Peterson, who is coming off a remarkable season in which he finished nine yards shy of Eric Dickerson's single-season rushing record.

There appear to be no more excuses for Ponder, and he is offering none.

"I'm just fully confident in what I'm doing," Ponder said. "With the pieces that we brought in around me this year, it's going to make my job easier. ... I just expect to be overall a better quarterback."

That's what the Vikings need. Peterson dragged the offense on his broad shoulders for most of last season, turning Minnesota into a throwback-style philosophy that relied almost exclusively on the run for big plays. It was enough to get the Vikings to a surprising 10-6 and into the playoffs, where they lost to Green Bay in the wild card round.

"With another year under his belt, I think he's definitely gotten, I wouldn't say smarter as a quarterback, but his decision making is definitely getting better and he's growing as a player just like the rest of us are trying to grow as a player," receiver Jarius Wright said.

Anxious fans watched each snap he took in the preseason hoping to see an indicator that Ponder was ready to make a leap. In an uneven preseason that included almost no time with Peterson behind him, that didn't happen. He completed 62 percent of his passes for 184 yards with two touchdowns and two interceptions. Ponder averaged only 5.0 yards per pass attempt and never really looked fully comfortable with his new-look receiving corps.

Frazier insists he's seen Ponder make big strides in practice that warrant his optimism.

"The command in the huddle, that shows up," Frazier said. "His leadership has improved, which is important going into his third season leading our offense. Also just the decision making."

With Peterson back there to take the bulk of the defense's focus, Frazier said, there should be plenty of opportunities for Ponder and the passing game. But he was also quick to point out that the identity of the team is clear. It's Peterson's offense, and the Vikings aren't asking Ponder to be Tom Brady. If fans were thinking offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave was holding things back in the preseason and is ready to unleash some high-flying plays in Detroit on Sunday, they should think again.

"We were vanilla in some respects. But the way we're set up, we're not going to be very exotic in the passing game," Frazier said. "We put a heavy emphasis on what we do in the run game."

If Ponder should falter or get injured, the Vikings can turn to a more experienced and capable backup in Matt Cassel. That would seem to ramp up the urgency surrounding Ponder as he heads into the season, but he doesn't see it that way.

"For me, if anything it takes less pressure," he said. "I know those guys are going to make plays. It's my job just to get the ball to them and let them do their thing."

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Ponder-Confident-Heading-Into-Critical-Season/bc42ff1a-0279-4392-a339-17c21bc4d7a2
If you watch the video of this press conference. At the beginning, Ponder goes a bit crossed eyed in introspection. I can see him taking a big gulp emotionally there, he does not seem as confident as he says he is, and in the back of his mind I think he knows that the hook will not be something the Vikings are slow with if he does go into a funk again.

Players and coaches say a lot of things. Trying to manifest them as truths by speaking them aloud. We shall see.

I just do not think it is wasting Petersons career. Peterson is making history and the less Ponder has to do the more opportunity for the MVP. As Frazier says, the offense is built to run the ball. Not really suited for passing 40 times a game which is pretty common across the league at this time.

As far as Kalil I have noticed that in his expressions sometimes, that he looks a bit sick like I likely looked at times last night from drinking too much. :X And on that note sorry if my joke was too crass. I didn't mean anything by it and actually a lot of the posts in the ACF are pretty smart questions.

If defenders were not so massive Kalil could likely play fine at 280 and maybe play a bit better overall from being more natural, more comfortable. But he needs that weight so as to be not over powered by some of the bigger guys in the league.

Good takes and I agree on pretty much everything. The Vikings don't need Ponder to be a 250-300 yards a game guy....but it shouldn't be too much to expect the out-liers to be sub 200 games, not 250+ ones. If he can just get more comfortable with the play action and get on the same page with one of his WRs I think he can help AP bring us back to the playoffs.

ETA: Last season

< 200 games = 9

> 250 = 4 (one was an OT game, another was 251)

yup, good points. Biabreakable is the go-to guy if you want to see the Ponder glass half full.

I was serious about comparisons though because, I admit, I've struggled to find any. I think the closest I've gotten so far is Testaverde who had some truly brutal seasons, much much worse than Ponder, but eventually transformed into a semi-legit downfield passer with a couple nice seasons. Confidence, lack there of, seems to be the common thread among our opinions.....not that that is a shock but if we can figure it out through our tv's imagine what the locker room is like?

I see this as pretty likely, with a ceiling of somewhere around 9-7, the likelihood of which depends almost entirely upon how quickly they hand Cassel the reins.

Cassel, I think, is just a tick below mediocre, making him a substantial step up from the incumbent, and more than good enough to complement the best RB in football and threaten a playoff run -- if he gets the chance.

Kalil might prove to be their biggest weakness, since he will be well above average in protecting Ponder's blind side.

The way the Lions play defense, with their wide 9 looks. I think the Vikings have their number pretty well as far as making gaps for Peterson against this defense. They just need to make sure they get Fairley and Suh sealed off away from the play for big gains. As well as the HB/FB clearing the lane, picking up the defender trying to fill that hole.

I am a bit worried about Patterson's back injury after what we saw from Simpson last season. I am so hoping this is not something that will bother him long like it seemed to Simpson.

Special teams are huge. Priefer is a great coach and Locke looks like he is going to be very good at helping us pin teams back when we do have to punt.

Who are your favorite Vikings writers?

I have become a huge fan of Arif Hasan from DN. He writes some great stuff. I wish he would write more. I also enjoy his podcast if you guys haven't had the chance to check it out, it is a good listen.

Not sure if this is a well known stat, but the vikings were also almost a full yard worse than the 31st team in regards to the average yards per reception the ball traveled in the air.

#1 Panthers = 7.21 yards

League average = 6.31
#31 Chargers = 4.93

#32 Vikings = 4.07

Even if you take Percy's stats out of it (8.21 YAC and 2.71 in the air), Ponder was still only at 4.43 yards.

Hard to blame all of that on Ponder...we all know what the play calling was like last year and it's very possible that Percy's demands dictated the offensive philosophy that caused this...so I'm holding out hope that we'll see a different gameplan this year and it won't just be quick outs to CP and others to take Percy's targets.

YAC totals taken from here and deconstructed on my own to determine yards traveled in the air because I was blown away when I found that the Vikings actually averaged 10th in YAC...but figured it was due to the Percy effect.

yup, good points. Biabreakable is the go-to guy if you want to see the Ponder glass half full.

I was serious about comparisons though because, I admit, I've struggled to find any. I think the closest I've gotten so far is Testaverde who had some truly brutal seasons, much much worse than Ponder, but eventually transformed into a semi-legit downfield passer with a couple nice seasons. Confidence, lack there of, seems to be the common thread among our opinions.....not that that is a shock but if we can figure it out through our tv's imagine what the locker room is like?
Yes. At least Ponder is not making those 10 second "aahhhhhh" fillers anymore. He seems to be able to laugh at himself. I do think he is better than Tebow? :lol:

Frazier presser a few hours ago- http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/Frazier-I-Feel-Good-About-Where-We-Are/84d0401f-293e-4fbb-90f2-b2a23d2a9431

So Kevin Williams is out but they are optimistic he will be able to practice next week and hopefully play week 2 against the Bears.

Floyd will play a lot in his place as well as the rotation of our other guys.

When asked about Peterson, Frazier sounds like they may be giving him the ball a ton.

I expect them to target Greg Jennings a lot to get him established in the offense when they are not running the ball.

Good news, Sterling Sharpe predicting the Lions will win. Feeling better about this game already. :cool:

No Donovan McNabb though? That guy was :moneybag:

I see this as pretty likely, with a ceiling of somewhere around 9-7, the likelihood of which depends almost entirely upon how quickly they hand Cassel the reins.

Cassel, I think, is just a tick below mediocre, making him a substantial step up from the incumbent, and more than good enough to complement the best RB in football and threaten a playoff run -- if he gets the chance.

Kalil might prove to be their biggest weakness, since he will be well above average in protecting Ponder's blind side.
Cassel is a hellva a nice guy. It just too bad that he continues to make bad decisions with the ball. I wish the Vikings did not waste a roster spot on him. I don't think he is an upgrade over MBT. MBT is the guy that looks most improved out of the three.

The Viking are definitely capable of going 10-6 even with Ponder at the helm.

Final Thoughts: Vikings vs. LionsPosted 1 hour ago

Mike Wobschallvikings.com

In every NFL matchup, there are a seemingly endless amount of angles to analyze. It’s hard to get to them all during the week of practice, and I’m sure there were some that slipped through the cracks despite all of the Vikings vs. Lions preview content we provided on vikings.com this week.

As I was sitting in my hotel room in Detroit watching college football on Saturday evening, I thought I’d try to cover a few more bases and provide a few final thoughts on the Vikings season opener against the Lions.

-- The Vikings return all five starting offensive linemen from last year’s team. The Detroit Lions are not doing the same. Detroit’s offensive line now includes three new starters from last year’s group. Gone are longtime left tackle Jeff Backus, right tackle Gosder Cherilus and veteran right guard Stephen Peterman. Those three started a combined 138 out of a possible 144 games since 2010. In their place are four-year veteran Jason Fox at right tackle, nine-year veteran Dylan Gandy at right guard and second-year player Riley Reiff at left tackle. Fox has never started a game in the NFL, Gandy hasn’t started since 2009 and Reiff is looking to hold down a starting spot after seeing occasional time on the field as a rookie. This isn’t to say this group of blockers can’t come together and play well, but offensive lines to rely on continuity and chemistry and you have to wonder how much of that has been developed with this group.

-- For his career, Lions tight end Brandon Pettigrew has averaged 4.3 receptions and 42.3 receiving yards per game. But for his career against the Vikings (eight games), Pettigrew has averaged a full catch more (5.3) per game and 49.3 receiving yards per game. Even more, in his last four games against the Vikings Pettigrew is averaging 6.8 catches and 67.0 receiving yards per game with two touchdowns. Also, 17 of Pettigrew’s last 27 receptions against the Vikings have been for a 1st down or a touchdown. The point is, the Vikings have had a hard time containing the 6-5. 265-pound playmaker and in order to win today they should probably reverse those fortunes.

-- Detroit rookie punter Sam Martin had a great preseason punting. He had 24 punts in the four exhibition games, with 10 of them inside the 20 and eight of them fair caught. Also, Martin ranked second in the NFL with a 42.2 net average during the preseason. Martin is also their kickoff specialist. Detroit registered 12 touchbacks on 25 kickoffs, so there’s no guarantee that Vikings returner Cordarrelle Patterson is going to get his mitts on a kickoff and have a chance to return it. If Patterson does, though, look out. On Patterson’s first kickoff return as a NFL player, he ripped off a 50-yard return against the Houston Texans. Hopefully today Martin will kickoff just once, and that kickoff will come after he’s been forced to punt a bunch of times because the Vikings defense is getting off the field, and hopefully that lone kickoff is hung up a bit so Flashy can run underneath it, field it, and take it to the house.

-- A key free agent signing for Detroit this offseason was safety Glover Quin. We saw him last season in the Week 16 matchup at Houston, where Quin was a key member of the Texans defense. In that game, Quin led Houston with 10 tackles, and three of them were for a loss. Now Quin teams with another talented safety – Louis Delmas – to form a talented tandem on the Lions defense. Both Delmas and Quin are elite against the run, so the Vikings will have to be aware of their location on every snap. With Delmas coming off a knee injury, the Vikings may be wise to test him deep early in the game. But I would stay away from testing Quin too often because eventually he’s going to find a way to make a play.

-- Ziggy Ansah, the No. 5 overall pick in last April’s draft, got his career off to a fast start when he intercepted a Mark Sanchez pass and returned it for a touchdown in the Lions preseason opener. But then on August 24 he suffered a concussion and was held out of action up until this past week. Ansah finished the week taking part in practice and is expected to play today. Ansah will play right defensive end and is expected to be an elite pass rusher in the NFL. His first test in the NFL is a good one – Vikings left tackle Matt Kalil.
Listening to interview with CP84 he seems fine and excited to play. Just me worrying to much hopefully. Would be great to see him score in 1st game debut. We shall see.

In regards to the talk about Pettigrew, I think Reggie Bush will get some of those targets that in the past have gone Pettigrew's way. I really think they need to leave him back as an extra blocker more often to help out the inexperienced offensive tackles, who will have their hands full.

It will be critical that Erin Henderson improves in coverage, as well as Mitchel and the other LB playing outside with him.

Glover Quinn did a great job as the last line of defense against Peterson in the game against the Texans. This is why they brought him here. I do not think this is lost on the Vikings however and they may have something new to account for him.

It is important that the Vikings play sound defense and not fall behind in the score. IIRC the Vikings had a lead for the 3rd most in the league last season. This is important to their game plan and why an early lead on the road is important. If the game turns high scoring, that is not the Vikings strength to be able to come back quickly.

The Lions are a quality football team, better than their record last season represents. They also play in a very difficult division, these teams know each other very well. OC Scott Linehan used to be with the Vikings at one time.

Really hoping for a win but honestly this game could go either way.

Take a look back at the history between the Detroit Lions and Minnesota Vikings, as well as one of the best games between the two rivals.

Before the Minnesota Vikings, another professional team played in the Land of 10,000 Lakes back in 1905 through the end of 1924 -- as the Minneapolis Marines -- and one more time from 1929 to 1930 -- as the Minneapolis Red Jackets. Before joining the American Pro Football Association in 1921 (the last year before the league was renamed to what it is today), the Marines dominated the independent football scene by going 76-12-6 in 14 seasons from 1905 to '20 (they didn't play in 1906 or '18). However, their success wouldn't last once they joined the NFL. The team started its professional career going 4-11-3 in its first three years and disbanded in 1924 after a 0-6 season. After starting back up as the Red Jackets, the team continued its poor play with a 2-16-1 record over its final two seasons.

With two failed attempts, the state of Minnesota would remain without professional football until the AFL awarded a trio of local businessmen a team. The group would fail to hold up their end of the bargain and instead formed an NFL team in 1961: the Minnesota Vikings.

Unfortunately for the Detroit Lions, the third time would prove to be the charm for a professional team in Minnesota. The Vikings have four Super Bowl trips to the Lions' none (which doesn't matter that much in my opinion since they've lost all four), but more painfully, Minnesota has dominated Detroit since '61 with a record of 68-33-2. Part of this disparity is thanks to the powerful Vikings squads from the late 60s into the 70s, when they went on a 13-game winning streak against the Lions (from '68 to '74 to be exact). On top of that, Minnesota held another 13-game winning streak at home against the Lions from 1998 to 2011.

Even though the Lions have only mustered 33 wins over 103 games against the Vikings, that's not to say there haven't been plenty of bright moments for Detroit to celebrate at home. In 1981, the Lions embarrassed the Vikings 45-7 behind a strong outing by quarterback Eric Hipple -- 13 for 21 for 188 yards and 2 touchdowns. Running back Billy Sims added 110 yards on 13 carries (re-breaking the Lions' single-season rushing record he set a year earlier en route to his best individual season) in what is the most lopsided victory between the two teams. The win eliminated the Vikings from playoff contention and kept the Lions' hopes alive, which eventually died thanks to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. But the '81 game pales in comparison to the game held on Oct. 6, 1991. It was one of those classic "Barry" games, where he did something ridiculous that parents tell their children about generation after generation.

Oct. 6, 1991 - Detroit Lions 24, Minnesota Vikings 20

I wish I had been alive to experience the 1991 Lions season, or at least say I was living during it. But I wasn't that lucky, and instead I joined the Honolulu Blue and Silver fandom a couple of weeks into 1992. So maybe it's my fault the Lions haven't had more than 10 wins or made the playoffs since '91. Whatever the case, '91 stills stands as Detroit's best season in team history. The Lions went 12-4, annihilated the Dallas Cowboys 38-6 in the divisional round of the playoffs in arguably the greatest game in team history and all signs pointed to '91 being "the year" for Detroit until the Washington Redskins thanked them for dispatching their divisional foe with a 41-10 rout. However, the season wasn't all glory on the road to the playoffs. In Week 12, starting right guard Mike Utley suffered a neck injury that left him paralyzed from the neck down. These days, Mike's regained most function in his upper extremities. To that, I say, "Thumbs Up Mike."

The '91 team featured a host of notable Lions: Chris Spielman, the hard-nosed, standup guy who should've been a Lion for life; Herman Moore, the future team legend in his rookie campaign; Mel Gray, the dominant kick returner; and Barry Sanders, the elite, always fun to watch running back who could do it all. In the first '91 game against the Vikings, Barry would do what he did best, taking control of the game.

After the first three quarters saw Detroit able to muster only a single Eddie Murray field goal, the Lions headed into the final frame trailing Minnesota 17-3. The Vikings would continue to keep Detroit quiet and add points themselves, increasing the lead to 20-3 with 8:38 left to play.

With the game looking hopeless, the Lions -- led by Rodney Peete and Barry Sanders -- went off for 21 unanswered points to end the game. Peete started the scoring following the Vikings' field goal with a 68-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Robert Clark. After the Lions recovered an onside kick, Peete led the team on an eight-play, 57-yard drive capped by a touchdown pass to wide receiver Willie Green to cut Minnesota's lead to 20-17.

Detroit's defense would stop the Vikings to give the Lions one more shot, and Barry made the most of it. On third-and-15 with 43 seconds left in the game, Sanders found the end zone, giving him 69 yards in the fourth quarter. For the game, Barry rushed 25 times for 116 yards and caught 9 passes for 76 yards. It was his fourth consecutive game with over 100 yards; Billy Sims is the only other Lion to ever accomplish that feat.

The win gave the Lions possession of first place in the division and their best start to a season since 1980. But in ‘91, the Lions weren't selling out home games, and by the time the fourth quarter rolled around, most of the 63,423-member crowd had already left the Silverdome. According to coach Wayne Fontes, those who stayed to witness the Lions score 3 touchdowns in the final 6:50 "sounded like 100,000." And in regards to his team that day: "I've been around football all my life. That fourth quarter by this total team was the best football I've ever been around in my life. A thing of beauty."

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2013/9/5/4698526/lions-vs-vikings-history-one-for-the-road/in/4454309
Barry Sanders would make you hold your breath every time he got the ball. There were times the Vikings did very well against him, there were others that Barry made everyone look silly. Best thing I think I heard anyone say about trying to stop Barry Sanders... I think it was Tony Dungy but perhaps someone else.. the best way to stop Barry was to stay in your lane and just wait.. even if he is on the other side of the field from you.. he might be coming back.

Hard to be mad about a player like that beating you.

Reggie Bush is a very gifted RB also, but at least he isn't Barry. Still going to be a huge challenge for the Vikings defense trying to make sure there are plenty of defensive backs around Mega. Another player so talented in a very different way of course but similar game changing abilities.

Thankfully the Vikings do have a player of similar greatness to Barry as well in Adrian Peterson.

Game day!!!!

The Season is upon us folks Say your Season Opening Prayers

Now I lay me down to bed
A helmet with horns upon my head
Allegiance to the Vikings I promise to keep
and cheer them on while I'm asleep.
If I should die, don't let me wonder,
Just bury me in the land of ponder.

But, Lord, before you take my soul,
Let me see the Vikes in the Super Bowl.
Forgive me Lord, for those I hated,
The Lions and Packers, they're overrated.
The streets of heaven, so I've been told,
Are paved for us in purple and gold.

If I get to heaven I'll have only one wish,
A big screen TV with a satellite dish
I pray for this Lord, for only one reason,
to cheer on my vikes to a winning season.

I'll close this prayer by thanking you Lord,
for listening to me and the time you afford.
But one more thing......please remember the Bears cuz their a team who hasn't a prayer!

41-17 Lions

Lofl.......nice prediction Funk!

Let's see.. Ponder is still crap.. defense is worse then last year.. I know it's only 1 game but 4-12 is looking like a dream right now :kicksrock:

Vikings shooting themselves in the foot. :wall:

Was a winnable game before the fumble, penalties on 3rd down extending Lions drive then again failure on offense to get a 1st down.

Still a slim chance I suppose, game is not yet over.

If the Vikings ever do win the Super Bowl I imagine some of you will still find things to complain about.

Users who are viewing this thread