What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dwayne Bowe (1 Viewer)

What are owners doing with him? Holding, selling, benching?
I know you guys are bored but these threads have to stop. It's been one week. If you're selling on a 4th-5th round pick after one week when there are no injury concerns on the entire offense you need your head examined.

I know you guys are bored but these threads have to stop. It's been one week. If you're selling on a 4th-5th round pick after one week when there are no injury concerns on the entire offense you need your head examined.
Exactly. I love the post-Week 1 panic. Yeah, let's ignore the fact that KC got up early on a hapless Jags team and didn't have to throw a lot and just dump Bowe now. :lol: Sorry for the sarcasm, but let's have some perspective, people.

I would personally, sell. This is a guy I wasn't buying at all this year. You had some warning signs prior to the season. You had Bowe being excited about his new contract predicting a big season with a lot of receptions. I will try to look for the article but it was something along the lines of him having to be sat down and told that is not how the offense will be working. The ball will probably be spread around enough to make Bowe more of a wr3 for the season. Alex Smith just seems to not throw to his number one receiver the way you think he should. Look at Crabtree getting a lot more receptions once Kaepernick came in.

Bowe just dropped last night on my league's waiver wire. 12 team, 18 man rosters. :shock: I don't think I have the firepower to get him next week but I'll try. The overreaction is strong on him.

Bowe will be boom or bust all season. If you can't stomach this fact, then it might be time for you to sell. There will be weeks he carries your team, and weeks he buries your team. I'd personally wait for one of those boom weeks before selling. Personally I like his prospects going forward and I would be buying.

He will be starting WR2 for me this week. Same as last week. Quit overreacting on 1 game against the jags. Smith showed he is exactly what we expected him to be, this is the best qb bowe has ever played with, he will be fine.

tonyftony716 said:
Raiderfan32904 said:
Bowe just dropped last night on my league's waiver wire. 12 team, 18 man rosters. :shock: I don't think I have the firepower to get him next week but I'll try. The overreaction is strong on him.
Why am I never in these leagues?
Would you want to be?

It makes me wonder if some of these people actually watch the games? The Kansas City Chiefs played the Jacksonville Jaguars in case anyone dropping Bowe wants to know. KC got up early that usually doesn't bode well for QB's and WR's in fantasy circles. Pretty sure Bowe is a hold at this point and I really like his matchup this week against the Dallas Cowboys in KC FYI.

I am holding but benching him for Edelman this week. Not sure if it's the right call but it's the call I'm making this week.

solorca said:
cmv5 said:
I would personally, sell.
Yeah, because right now is a perfect time to sel.
Obviously. I took the point of the question to mean do you think Bowe continues on this way. Buy/Sell/Hold.

Edited to add:

You need someone to be selling in order to buy, by the way. Your sarcastic comment implies you think it is a good time to buy. Leave it at that instead of coming across this way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry if I took the thread off track, back to the point. I'd be buying Bowe now. The Chiefs aren't going to curb stomp opponents like the Jaguars every week and will need Bowe to make plays into the 4th quarter of competitive games. We know that Andy Ried's offenses are known to be pass happy, and we haven't seen enough of the offensive playbook to make a judgment of Alex Smith's arm. I don't like Bowe as much as others in his ADP area code, mainly because of his inconsistency. But he's a guy you should be able to buy low without much trouble.

Ghost Rider said:
meyerj31 said:
ponchsox said:
Exactly. I love the post-Week 1 panic. Yeah, let's ignore the fact that KC got up early on a hapless Jags team and didn't have to throw a lot and just dump Bowe now. :lol: Sorry for the sarcasm, but let's have some perspective, people.
I know, right? Bowe only gets his points in the fourth quarter when they are down by 20. If they start taking leads consistently, the garbage-time all-star will never score.

solorca said:
cmv5 said:
Obviously. I took the point of the question to mean do you think Bowe continues on this way. Buy/Sell/Hold.
I expect him to average more than 4/30/0 the rest of the year.
Okay, then you would be buying. What kind of numbers do you think he ends up with at the end of the year?

solorca said:
cmv5 said:
Okay, then you would be buying. What kind of numbers do you think he ends up with at the end of the year?
70/1000/7. Those are low WR2 numbers.

solorca said:
cmv5 said:
70/1000/7. Those are low WR2 numbers.
I dont think you're far off at all. Think the TD number will be up slightly, but this looks about right.

Bowe's problem is Alex Smith spreads the ball around. He might not have as big a year as some thought.
I think it's premature to say that for sure. That's Alex's MO in SF, but we have yet to see AR's full offensive bag of tricks. We only saw a half of football and then they coasted to an easy win over a very bad Jags team. I think we have to wait and see AR's full arsenal of plays before we can declare Bowe a bust.

Bowe's problem is Alex Smith spreads the ball around. He might not have as big a year as some thought.
I think it's premature to say that for sure. That's Alex's MO in SF, but we have yet to see AR's full offensive bag of tricks. We only saw a half of football and then they coasted to an easy win over a very bad Jags team. I think we have to wait and see AR's full arsenal of plays before we can declare Bowe a bust.
I'm not basing my assumption from one game. It's a real tendency of his imo

I would personally, sell. This is a guy I wasn't buying at all this year. You had some warning signs prior to the season. You had Bowe being excited about his new contract predicting a big season with a lot of receptions. I will try to look for the article but it was something along the lines of him having to be sat down and told that is not how the offense will be working. The ball will probably be spread around enough to make Bowe more of a wr3 for the season. Alex Smith just seems to not throw to his number one receiver the way you think he should. Look at Crabtree getting a lot more receptions once Kaepernick came in.
I don't recall any of this before the season. Was the 3rd pre-season game where he was 6-73 in only one half of play a warning sign? 6 receptions in one half seems like a lot of receptions to me. Week 3 was Bowe's only meaningful playing time in pre-season and he looked good with Smith.

This week in a game where their opponent will most likely score more than 2 points we should see a better indication of how Bowe will do.

I don't recall any of this before the season. Was the 3rd pre-season game where he was 6-73 in only one half of play a warning sign? 6 receptions in one half seems like a lot of receptions to me. Week 3 was Bowe's only meaningful playing time in pre-season and he looked good with Smith.

This week in a game where their opponent will most likely score more than 2 points we should see a better indication of how Bowe will do.
Also in that preseason game Bowe caught 6 out of 7 passes from Smith, including a 30 yard pass. I expect when they are in a more serious game Smith will lean on him a lot more.

are people selling Calvin johnson too?

use your heads, folks.

there was zero reason to throw last game.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/406856/dwayne-bowe
Bowe's lofty goals might not happen
by Jamey Eisenberg | Senior Fantasy Writer
Chiefs receiver Dwayne Bowe said earlier this offseason that his goal is "to lead the league in receptions and touchdowns," but that didn't fly with the coaches in Kansas City, according to the National Football Post. The report says some of the coaches for the Chiefs "had to have a word" with Bowe about his stated goal. The report says they appreciate Bowe’s enthusiasm and ambition, but they want him to understand Andy Reid’s offense doesn’t work that way. Reid likes to spread the ball around to multiple targets and take what the defense gives them. The report adds Reid "won’t be looking to use Bowe the way the Lions use Calvin Johnson."

Last edited by a moderator:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/406856/dwayne-bowe
Bowe's lofty goals might not happen
by Jamey Eisenberg | Senior Fantasy Writer
Chiefs receiver Dwayne Bowe said earlier this offseason that his goal is "to lead the league in receptions and touchdowns," but that didn't fly with the coaches in Kansas City, according to the National Football Post. The report says some of the coaches for the Chiefs "had to have a word" with Bowe about his stated goal. The report says they appreciate Bowe’s enthusiasm and ambition, but they want him to understand Andy Reid’s offense doesn’t work that way. Reid likes to spread the ball around to multiple targets and take what the defense gives them. The report adds Reid "won’t be looking to use Bowe the way the Lions use Calvin Johnson."
That article was in June. It is listed right after an article about Alex Smith gushing about him. Also, here is that article because the quotes above make it seem like those are actual quotes versus snippets from the article.

*Some of the coaches in Kansas City had to have a word with Dwayne Bowe about his stated goal of leading the league in receiving. While they appreciate Bowe’s enthusiasm and ambition, they want him to understand Andy Reid’s offense doesn’t work that way. Never has. Probably never will. Reid likes to spread the ball around to multiple targets and take what the defense gives them. He won’t be looking to use Bowe the way the Lions use Calvin Johnson. And you might want to keep that in mind during your Fantasy Football drafts.

*The Colts had a pretty good vertical passing game last year, and they are looking to develop it further. What’s more, they believe they have the resources to be one of the better teams in the league at stretching the field. Part of their enthusiasm has to do with the acquisition of Darrius Heyward-Bey. Indy coaches see him as a potentially explosive playmaker who can get behind

coverage. The Colts will be trying to get Heyward-Bey more opportunities than he ever had in Oakland. And they also want to use second year tight end Coby Fleener more as a vertical threat down the seam. With his speed and size, Fleener should be able to take advantage of man to man matchups as well as zone coverages.
I don't see any actual quotes in there, so I will look more at a 6-73 in a half week 3 pre-season result than the article above. Note the other article about Heyward-Bey and Fleener. Explosive, getting behind coverage and a vertical threat. Does that equal 4 receptions for 40 yards against the Raiders? Articles written in June when we are waiting for training camp are more conjecture than fact, especially with no actual quotes. Heyward-Bey and Fleener may do better, but so will Bowe. It won't be often that Kansas City holds their opponents to 2 points. I think Dallas will be a much better example of how Bowe will do. If he has another 4-30 and Smith throws more this week, then I get worried, but not after last week. I hoped for more, but Jacksonville didn't get off the bus.

This week will tell you a lot about what Bowe will be. Dallas gives up plenty of passing yards and it's likely to be at least a competitive game.

I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't a bit concerned about what his usage would be like, but I'm not at the point of panicking...and I'll still be starting him over my other WR2/Flex options (Stevie Johnson, Golden Tate, Streater, Britt)

If you're selling him after 1 game you clearly didn't have any faith in him when you drafted him. So... why did you draft him?

If you're selling him after 1 game you clearly didn't have any faith in him when you drafted him. So... why did you draft him?
I drafted him because he was the last WR in his tier, and the guy I really wanted got swiped right in front of me. I should have scrubbed my other positional tiers, but I really wanted to get my WR3 there and given a 70 second timeframe, picked Bowe and never really felt good about it. It's where he was slotted to go, but push come to shove, I should have gone with my gut. Luckily I was able to package him in a deal for Gronkowski.

I agree with the people here that say its too early to bail on him. First if all trying to deal him after a 30 yard output in week 1 is foolish BC you are selling low.

Secondly, I don't think that week 1 was necessarily representative of how bowe will be utilized all season. KC dominated the jags. Shut them out. Smith didn't have to throw much, and when he did, he chose higher percentage throws. He and Andy Reid didn't feel the need to air it out which hurt Bowes production.

My concerns are:

1) smith threw Tds but seemingly ignored bowe in the end zone.

2) I think KC defense is for real this year. Like top 5 or real. I don't believe that every game will play out like this one but if their defense keeps dominating opponents all year this will remain a conservative, ball control offense and that would hurt bowe. The best recipe for bowe having a big year is a bad defense.

I will be watching the Dallas/KC game carefully. If Dallas puts some points on the board KC will have no choice but to open up the Playbook and then I will be very interested in seeing Bowes usage. If that happens and bowe puts up another stinker then color me worried.

I agree with the people here that say its too early to bail on him. First if all trying to deal him after a 30 yard output in week 1 is foolish BC you are selling low.

Secondly, I don't think that week 1 was necessarily representative of how bowe will be utilized all season. KC dominated the jags. Shut them out. Smith didn't have to throw much, and when he did, he chose higher percentage throws. He and Andy Reid didn't feel the need to air it out which hurt Bowes production.

My concerns are:

1) smith threw Tds but seemingly ignored bowe in the end zone.

2) I think KC defense is for real this year. Like top 5 or real. I don't believe that every game will play out like this one but if their defense keeps dominating opponents all year this will remain a conservative, ball control offense and that would hurt bowe. The best recipe for bowe having a big year is a bad defense.

I will be watching the Dallas/KC game carefully. If Dallas puts some points on the board KC will have no choice but to open up the Playbook and then I will be very interested in seeing Bowes usage. If that happens and bowe puts up another stinker then color me worried.
Given what we saw against the Jags I do think there's reason to be concerned about him vs. low scoring teams. Luckily the Chiefs don't look like they face anyone as bad as the Jags the rest of the season. Even the Raiders look like they may be able to put points on the board.

Users who are viewing this thread