What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

where will CJ play in 2014?Jets sign him (1 Viewer)

Bri

Footballguy
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000296445/article/chris-johnson-needs-to-be-used-better-titans-ceo-says

NFL Media columnist Michael Silver reported over the weekend that Chris Johnson is unlikely to return to the Tennessee Titans at his scheduled $8 million salary in 2014.

In a Tuesday interview with Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean, new team president and CEO Tommy Smith said it was "premature" to suggest Johnson won't be brought back -- presumably at a reduced salary.

"Chris has done nothing but what he's been asked to do there. He suits up and he plays every game," Smith explained. "I think they need to figure out how to use him and his skill set better, but he has been a good teammate and a good player ... We are evaluating each and every position on this team, and we are only going to keep players we think will contribute and earn their keep."

The Hank said:
Schefter reporting ex Titans RB Chris Johnson has reached a 2 yr deal with NYJ

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if Johnson priced himself out of the league, since he is a guy who probably still thinks he should paid like a 2,000-yard runner, so he is gonna want big bucks, and RBs simply do not have as much value as they used to, especially a guy like Johnson, who is still good when used correctly, but isn't a stud anymore.

I think a lot of teams that are already pretty good are gonna fight over him. He would make the icing on the cake for a couple of teams like a Denver, Miami could use his services, the Jets would upgrade, Falcons could be in the market, Carolina depending on what they do with an aging DeAngelo, why not Dallas?

I can't imagine he's going to want a 2,000 yard runner price when he finishes at less than 1,000 this year.

That said, coming off a 3.7 YPC rushing season, will be 29 next season--logic would state that no one wants him as their feature back.

I think he fits in nice with the Falcons, but with Jaquizz and Snelling already there in that kind of complementary role, I doubt they'd go after Johnson.

The Dolphins and Jets both strike me as teams that need a back with that big play capability--and they aren't bottom feeders, so adding him would make sense.

The Browns are so awful at RB, any addition helps. They should obviously look for a young RB of the future, but they can use a solid veteran back. McGahee just isn't what he was.

All that said, a lot has to play out. A handful of quality free agent backs.

I think the Falcons learned their lesson on overpaying aging rbs this year. I wonder if any Falcons fans at this point would rather have Jackson or somebody like Stacy, Lacy, Bernard, Bell, or even Micheal on their team.

I would venture to guess that most teams this year are going to look at that situation as a type a cautionary tale. Hence, CJ going to the Raiders, the only team that always does the opposite of what conventional wisdom suggests.

Ministry of Pain said:
I think a lot of teams that are already pretty good are gonna fight over him. He would make the icing on the cake for a couple of teams like a Denver, Miami could use his services, the Jets would upgrade, Falcons could be in the market, Carolina depending on what they do with an aging DeAngelo, why not Dallas?
I really doubt he goes there, but it would be interesting to see him on Denver - he has still looked good when he has an open lane and that offense would open up plenty of them.

I'm curious if his ego will agree to an incentive laden deal with incentives (we all know) he won't reach. He still talks of 2k yards and raced a cheetah last offseason...

I think the Falcons learned their lesson on overpaying aging rbs this year. I wonder if any Falcons fans at this point would rather have Jackson or somebody like Stacy, Lacy, Bernard, Bell, or even Micheal on their team.

I would venture to guess that most teams this year are going to look at that situation as a type a cautionary tale. Hence, CJ going to the Raiders, the only team that always does the opposite of what conventional wisdom suggests.
this happens all the time and for as long as I can remember though.

I suppose Corey Dillon, Ottis Anderson and Terry Allen are the best memories, but some old RBs do pan out.

I think teams draft a zillion young guys and see an old vet as a stop gap, time to truly develop a young back, someone to lean on etc.

Tomlinson did well, the Jets are the Jets, but he did well after SD. His former teammate Turner did OK in ATL albeit not old when he started there but he had some wear on those tires.

You mentioned Stacy and Lacy. I feel like the Rams have had a dozen RBs in the last five years besides Jax and Stacy. Green Bay hasn't drafted a good RB since...well I can't remember one since Green came from Seattle and Grant from NYG.

Suppose Green Bay never drafted a RB or drafted some smallish amount. All those free picks for other players would have been so much more talent.

Zona

NYJ (pair him up w/ Ivory)

Jax / Oak (be fitting for him to endup in a wasteland)

StL

I can see the Jets signing him when they free up some cap (going to be a big chopping block yr with Holmes, Sanchez and possible Harris getting clipped). More than likely CJ and Tenn work something out.

Weird that people mention Oakland. Unless you think they fire the GM, there is no way a Ted Thompson protege pays for a guy like CJ

I think the Patriots would be a nice fit. But with all of the backs that they have, why pay for CJ? I feel like a lot of CJ's remaining value is in being a receiving back--and Vareen is obviously very good at that.

I think the idea of signing a complement to Stacy in St Louis makes sense--I also think Fisher loves feeding him 30 times a game and will keep doing so. Johnson maybe comes into that situation as a 3rd down, occasional change of pace back. I think he'll be looking for a chance to at least split.

The Colts could use help at RB--but they've got Bradshaw, they've got Donald Brown, and of course Richardson. I just don't see adding someone like Johnson with that stable of RBs.

Denver makes sense, but then it doesn't. Johnson is the veteran back you'd love to have on a contender. On the flip side, Moreno has been really impressive. They still seem to want to get Ball on the field. I think if they don't keep Moreno, they'll look to get a guy like CJ to split with Ball. But, I'd be shocked if they let him go with the season he's having. But, I'm always shocked at how many touches they give Ball, so who knows.

I think teams will probably just view him as a 1-2 year stopgap guy at this point, which isn't likely to equate to a big contract or a rock solid starting role. My guess is that when next season rolls around he'll either be keeping the seat warm for a high pick rookie, turning out as a desperation starter for a bottom feeder, or working as more of a committee back. I would not be surprised if we've seen the last of him as an unquestioned NFL starter. He turns 29 early next season. 1700+ career carries. His production has been sliding. This year he's only averaging 3.8 YPC with the same number of 20+ yard runs as Toby Gerhart, Rashad Jennings, and Donald Brown. Maybe it was just a bad year, but more likely is that he's past his prime. Without the juice he had in his glory days, he's just a guy.

OLD but his thoughts on some cities:

"Some places he clearly prefers over others. A visit to Houston last month, for example, produced this tweet: “I’m in the city what ittt isssss I might make dis my new city.”

Then again back in March, he conducted a Ustream chat that killed 28 minutes of a flight to Atlanta.

“Atlanta is like my second home,” he said. “It’s Orlando and then Atlanta. You know, I work in Tennessee but … .”

I would LOVE to see him come to the Bears. Arizona and Denver may be in the market for Running Backs. Gotta think this guy is smart enough to guy somewhere where he will be the feature guy.

St Louis? Jeff Fisher connection.

This scenario is just too perfect for the Raiders. The type of player he is/was, the attitude he portrays, and the type of money he wants.

He will make a good half of a thunder and lightning duo. I'd like to see him and Trent in Indy. But it will be telling if the titans don't try to bring him back and if Fisher doesn't show interest.

He will make a good half of a thunder and lightning duo. I'd like to see him and Trent in Indy. But it will be telling if the titans don't try to bring him back and if Fisher doesn't show interest.
(Merry Christmas)

I agree with thunder and lightning idea.

Years ago, the Giants brought in Ahmad in the 4th against a tired D and he rocked in the 4th Q. That would so work or some team with a Bettis Natrone type pounding RB...yeah good luck to a D that has to chase CJ after being worn down.

Fisher might have his back now in Stacy, seems to. CJ costs the Titans 8 mil in 2014 (OP) and I'm not sure he's worth that.

This is a guy that raced a cheetah and has a big ego (yes I've mentioned cheetah a few times because it goes to his ego and/or his agent's thoughts) so I'm not sure if he can be accepting of less.

I have no doubt Fisher would take him at some low salary, but if we're talking 8 mil...I think that deserves more thought as far as what else they can get for 8 mil.

Schwartz coached against him in practice. Does cutting Leshoure save $? Best will be off the books in 2014 right? They could have some $ for a backup RB and already plan to do so. I think Schwartz is the most likely familiar coach to show some high interest in him. He's also blessed/cursed with this need to take attention away from Calvin and while it's not the ideal WR opposite type attention, I think Bush and CJ would force the D to pay quite a bit of attention to the backfield and be very afraid of screen passes.

"Some places he clearly prefers over others. A visit to Houston last month, for example, produced this tweet: “I’m in the city what ittt isssss I might make dis my new city.”

Then again back in March, he conducted a Ustream chat that killed 28 minutes of a flight to Atlanta.

“Atlanta is like my second home,” he said. “It’s Orlando and then Atlanta. You know, I work in Tennessee but … .”
Hes not that old, he'll still be 28 when the season starts. Hes gone over 1000 rushing while avg 4.0 or higher every season hes been in the market. If he gets 50 yards this last week he'll be over 1000 again. Durable, proven, rarely fumbles... when you think about it it'll be pretty silly to not think there will be a big market for him if cut loose, but I think Tenn sticks with him for one more year.

Honestly, think what this guy could do on a good team and highly motivated

Last edited by a moderator:
He not that old, he'll still be 28 when the season starts.
Yea for like 3 weeks. For purposes of his future if you are not looking at him as a 29 year old you are looking at him wrong.

I just don't see him being retained at his cost or paid big money. It's hard enough to find one team to pay big money to a RB and even if that team did exist not sure he's the RB a team would want to spend it on. I put him at a ballpark of around $5 million a year with only the first year or two guaranteed. I see him getting a contract similar to the one Reggie Bush got with maybe a 10-20% hike. Reggie got $16 million over 4 years with only $4mill guaranteed.

He not that old, he'll still be 28 when the season starts.
Yea for like 3 weeks. For purposes of his future if you are not looking at him as a 29 year old you are looking at him wrong.

I just don't see him being retained at his cost or paid big money. It's hard enough to find one team to pay big money to a RB and even if that team did exist not sure he's the RB a team would want to spend it on. I put him at a ballpark of around $5 million a year with only the first year or two guaranteed. I see him getting a contract similar to the one Reggie Bush got with maybe a 10-20% hike. Reggie got $16 million over 4 years with only $4mill guaranteed.
Just saying, when you look at the numbers hes had a pretty successful career on a below avg team... RBs seem to prime out between 26 - 29 especially if they haven't suffered injuries like CJ. A successful and proven RB hitting the market in his last prime year(s) "should" command a decent price, and this yr there isn't many other vet RBs hitting the market. I know he has a bad attitude rep but hes also stayed out of trouble which is also a good factor.

Would be very interesting if cut loose, but again I doubt it.

Hes not that old, he'll still be 28 when the season starts. Hes gone over 1000 rushing while avg 4.0 or higher every season hes been in the market. If he gets 50 yards this last week he'll be over 1000 again. Durable, proven, rarely fumbles... when you think about it it'll be pretty silly to not think there will be a big market for him if cut loose, but I think Tenn sticks with him for one more year.

Honestly, think what this guy could do on a good team and highly motivated
Sorry wasn't more clear, I meant that was an old snip from an article of a few years back.

Bri said:
FUBAR said:
(Merry Christmas)I agree with thunder and lightning idea.

Years ago, the Giants brought in Ahmad in the 4th against a tired D and he rocked in the 4th Q. That would so work or some team with a Bettis Natrone type pounding RB...yeah good luck to a D that has to chase CJ after being worn down.

Fisher might have his back now in Stacy, seems to. CJ costs the Titans 8 mil in 2014 (OP) and I'm not sure he's worth that.

This is a guy that raced a cheetah and has a big ego (yes I've mentioned cheetah a few times because it goes to his ego and/or his agent's thoughts) so I'm not sure if he can be accepting of less.

I have no doubt Fisher would take him at some low salary, but if we're talking 8 mil...I think that deserves more thought as far as what else they can get for 8 mil.

Schwartz coached against him in practice. Does cutting Leshoure save $? Best will be off the books in 2014 right? They could have some $ for a backup RB and already plan to do so. I think Schwartz is the most likely familiar coach to show some high interest in him. He's also blessed/cursed with this need to take attention away from Calvin and while it's not the ideal WR opposite type attention, I think Bush and CJ would force the D to pay quite a bit of attention to the backfield and be very afraid of screen passes.
I would think the lions are happy with bell. And Schwartz may not be back.

Rotoworld:

Chris Johnson admitted that he may have played his last game as a Titan.

Johnson sees the writing on the wall. He's owed $8 million in 2014, averaged 3.86 YPC this season, will turn 29 years old in September and said there's "no way" he'd accept a pay cut. The Titans are expected to release the talented and durable yet frustrating speed back that has been the face of their franchise for the last six years. Power back Shonn Greene, who is under contract through 2015, projects as Tennessee's 2014 starter.

Related: Shonn Greene

Source: Nashville Tennessean

Rotoworld:

Johnson sees the writing on the wall. He's owed $8 million in 2014, averaged 3.86 YPC this season, will turn 29 years old in September and said there's "no way" he'd accept a pay cut. The Titans are expected to release the talented and durable yet frustrating speed back that has been the face of their franchise for the last six years. Power back Shonn Greene, who is under contract through 2015, projects as Tennessee's 2014 starter.

yikes...don't get why they'd want to roll with Greene...he's the definition of a below average RB.

IMO...

Raiders

Falcons

Panthers

Browns
I could understand why folks might assume the Panthers will be in the bidding for every expensive RB, but Hurney's gone and he left 2 overpaid and uncuttable RBs on the roster plus a properly paid and effective Tolbert.

CJ will not be in CAR next year.

Rotoworld:

yikes...don't get why they'd want to roll with Greene...he's the definition of a below average RB.
Greene is no worse than Johnson, who wouldn't hit the hole 50% of the time. That probably only means both are below average RBs.

Rotoworld:

Greene is no worse than Johnson, who wouldn't hit the hole 50% of the time. That probably only means both are below average RBs.
I disagree but we'll see I guess....

Greene is serviceable. Rushed for 1k twice on weak Jets teams. He can be like Rudi Johnson or Cedric Benson. Nothing more.

His talent level has always been underrated on these boards because he isn't a flashy or explosive runner.

Rotoworld:

Yeah he's quite average and it's an exciting star position. CJ looked like such a better athlete than Greene.

I like Jackie Battle and prefer him as the backup RB. I think he's a nice backup. He runs with some toughness to him and...I like that style in a backup.

The Titans owner has said a bunch lately that he wants his players evaluated and earning their money. I don't know that I'd consider Shonn as having earned his. Injury aside, when he was playing I wasn't at all impressed.

Greene is serviceable. Rushed for 1k twice on weak Jets teams. He can be like Rudi Johnson or Cedric Benson. Nothing more.

His talent level has always been underrated on these boards because he isn't a flashy or explosive runner.
That's about it. Not feature material and not a guy I would lean on. He also puts the ball on the ground, and when given ample carries is not a durable back if I recall. And he can't catch a cold. So forget him in the passing game.

You won't win too many games featuring him. He will be part of RBBC in Tennesee if Johnson does not return. No doubt the Titans will draft another back before going into 2014 touting Shonne Greene as the teams starting RB.

Just my opinion of course.

That's about it. Not feature material and not a guy I would lean on. He also puts the ball on the ground, and when given ample carries is not a durable back if I recall. And he can't catch a cold. So forget him in the passing game.
He was durable in New York on a pretty high workload. 280-290 touches in his final two seasons with no missed games.

He isn't an ideal starter, but neither are Jay Cutler and Joe Flacco. Not every team can have Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. Likewise, not every team can have Adrian Peterson or LeSean McCoy. At any given time there will always be teams forced to roll out a less-than-ideal starter. With dynamic runners being somewhat hard to acquire (there aren't that many of them and they usually go in the first 60-75 picks of the draft), it's quite possible the Titans will roll with Greene next season. That being said, I do think they'd look to add another back at some point in the draft if they let Johnson walk. The main question is whether or not that back would be talented enough to significantly eat into Greene's carries in year one. It probably isn't as likely as some people think. Partially because Greene is better than given credit for (he himself was a high pick, he's a multi year 1000+ yard back, and Tennessee gave him a pretty big contract) and partially because it's not as easy to find a clear upgrade as people make it out to be. It might require a top 75 draft pick and I don't know if Tennessee will be willing to invest that. Depends on many variables.

No idea where he could end up. I think teams are starting to see you can find value at the RB position. The last 2 years you've had Alfred Morrid and Zac Stacy come out of the late rounds and be able to produce. Take a chance on a young late-round RB or sign CJ for a couple milion a year. Someone will take a chance on him, but I don't know who. If I had to guess, I could see him in Oakland, Tennessee, Jets, and maybe Miami.

I don't think Denver will go after him. Ball seemed to be playing well down the stretch and they still have Hillman. Unless CJ took a bit less, Denver has more pressing needs elsewhere than RB.

Users who are viewing this thread