What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL Coaching & Front Office Changes for next season (1 Viewer)

Faust

MVP
Black Monday: Now a Ritual Whose Meaning Is Clear By KEN BELSON Published: December 28, 2013

The N.F.L. loves to trumpet its calendar, from Draft Day to Kickoff Weekend to Super Bowl Sunday. Then there is Black Monday, the day after the regular season ends, when a dozen teams prepare for the playoffs and some of the rest announce that they have fired their coaches or general managers or both.

The league does not include the red-letter date on its schedule, and its origins are murky. But to N.F.L. insiders and fans around the country, Black Monday has its own news media ecosystem, complete with weeks of speculation, denials and news releases, followed by confessionals, goodbyes and promises to start anew.

Last year, seven coaches and five general managers were replaced, one of the busier Black Mondays on record. Because many assistants are also shown the door when their bosses are fired, Black Monday 2012 was a veritable funeral procession in the coaching industry.

This year will very likely be no different. As teams that started the season with high hopes have slid out of contention, rumors have swirled about the future of coaches from New York to Detroit and from Washington to Oakland. Minnesota Vikings Coach Leslie Frazier, Rex Ryan of the Jets and Greg Schiano of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are just a few of the leaders with their fates in the balance as the regular season comes to a close.

As with everything in the N.F.L., there is a science behind the decision to waste no time in firing coaches. For one, no team wants the news media to spend yet more time speculating about a coach after a deflating season. Turning the page as quickly as possible allows teams to change the conversation to the future and the potential for wins and championships.

But there is another practical merit to moving fast: Teams have to start searching for a new coach, and other teams that fired their coaches will be bidding for a limited pool of top replacements. Once a head coach is hired, other coaching spots must be filled. Then all of them must prepare for the combine and the draft.

“Everyone’s in such a competitive environment, there’s a race to get things done because there is the same group of candidates out there,” said Mike Tannenbaum, the former general manager of the Jets who now represents coaches for Priority Sports & Entertainment. “It’s to clear the decks and move on.”

This year, more than a half-dozen teams may clear the decks. In Washington, Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan, whose team has three victories going into Sunday’s game just one year after making the playoffs, has feuded publicly with the owner Daniel Snyder over the decision to bench quarterback Robert Griffin III.

Mike Munchak of the Tennessee Titans, Dennis Allen in Oakland and Jim Schwartz in Detroit are also in the hot seat. The Houston Texans, another team unable to return to the playoffs, fired Gary Kubiak earlier this month, just weeks after he collapsed on the field during a game and was hospitalized.

Innovations like 24-hour sports channels, Twitter and blogs have fueled the coaching merry-go-round and given Black Monday an almost historical or hysterical feel, depending on your point of view. But the use of the phrase Black Monday to denote the coaching day of reckoning appears to date back only about 10 or 15 years.

Even with an extensive search of news databases, it is difficult to determine who coined the phrase Black Monday, which the N.F.L. does not endorse. Some of the earliest references were in the late 1990s, including a story in The Chicago Tribune about several college coaches being fired at one time. In 1998, The Associated Press ran an article with the headline “Black Monday for N.F.L. coaches.” The story began: “The next time a group of N.F.L. coaches gets together and someone says ‘Black Monday,’ nobody should ask him what he’s talking about.”

The New York Post and The Houston Chronicle also used Black Monday in their headlines that day.

It is unclear whether the news media created the phrase or whether reporters parroted a term used liberally by football insiders. But two years later, The Associated Press ran an article that said that the day after the regular season ends “traditionally is called ‘Black Monday’ in the coaching profession,” though when this so-called tradition started was not defined.

There are few examples of N.F.L. and team personnel using the phrase, though in a Jan. 6, 2000, article in The Times-Picayune, Greg Bensel, a spokesman for the New Orleans Saints, was quoted saying that he discussed with Tom Benson, the team owner, “what the state of the league was on Black Monday” and “who was around and who wasn’t.” That off-season, the Saints fired Mike Ditka and hired Jim Haslett.

Bensel said he did not recall where he first heard the phrase. But within a few years, others in the N.F.L. started saying Black Monday, including Bill Cowher, then the coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers. He said that coaches always feared being fired and were motivated “to not be a part of Black Monday.”

While the term’s roots are uncertain, it is clear that a handful of coaches, assistants and front office personnel are going to receive pink slips Monday, regardless of whether their teams win their season finales.

As Cowher said in 2006, “We all understand that getting into this business.”

Alain Delaqueriere contributed reporting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to see Cowher back in football on the sidelines. I miss the guy.

I see some say the Redskins must consider him and that he was quoted as saying Shanahan will be back...otherwise I don't see too much of him coaching again. Every team should consider him, that's not news.

I miss the guy.

I see some say the Redskins must consider him and that he was quoted as saying Shanahan will be back...otherwise I don't see too much of him coaching again. Every team should consider him, that's not news.

I miss the guy.
Cower was good, but I think his time might be passed. He's a hard nosed guy but with the league going more offensive scheme focused, younger guys and offensive minded coaches are often sought after now. WIth Kelly/Harbaugh's recent successes, I think we are going to see more and more College coaches and offensive coordinators getting most of the gigs.

When does hiring coaches who have had success YEARS ago really work? No coach in nfl history has won a superbowl with 2 different teams. Look at guys like Shanny who won superbowls then totally stink it up in their new gigs.

I don't think teams these days are drooling over these tough old coaches who have won superbowls but have been out of coaching for a while like Billick, Cower, and Gruden.

Surprised Schwartz and Ryan are looking like they're coming back.
If Schwartz comes back, Detroit will revolt.
This is so fascinating and I've enjoyed so many that share similar thoughts. Schwartz has completely turned that franchise around in such a short time and they were perennial losers with an all-time low of fan interest before he got there.

Decision's already been made i bet, but if Jets win today and finish 8-8, it would be rather impressive considering a rookie qb, and not one offensive weapon.

I miss the guy.
Cower was good, but I think his time might be passed. He's a hard nosed guy but with the league going more offensive scheme focused, younger guys and offensive minded coaches are often sought after now. WIth Kelly/Harbaugh's recent successes, I think we are going to see more and more College coaches and offensive coordinators getting most of the gigs.

When does hiring coaches who have had success YEARS ago really work? No coach in nfl history has won a superbowl with 2 different teams. Look at guys like Shanny who won superbowls then totally stink it up in their new gigs.

I don't think teams these days are drooling over these tough old coaches who have won superbowls but have been out of coaching for a while like Billick, Cower, and Gruden.
You got me thinking...I don't think you're right yet can't come up with anyone so maybe this is true. I never realized that. Vermeil?

I thought Marvin Lewis built an incredible defense that Billick feasted off of. I give him credit for not trying to make Dilfer into Daunte and recognizing the differences and all, but I didn't find him overly impressive as a HC. Gruden I've never respected as a coach even with Dungy's team.

Conceding your point, I still miss Cowher and would think teams would then want him to build them a contender and find someone else to win it all. I remember a Parcells article about how the value of franchises sky-rocketed when he re-built the teams. The Jets and Boys not being the punchline in jokes had to help too.

While I follow the Titans, I think he'd be perfect there. You put him in a city where they had this high flying offense and ..I don't see it.

Personally, I think CB play has been terrible. There are some superb players, but the rest aren't very good at all. Some of these WRs are blessed with great ability, but where is the CB's ego and pride bruised so he knocks the ball down or tackles him as legally hard as he can? I used to think there's no way a mouthy Cortland Finnegan should coach in the NFL when he retires. Now, I almost don't care what he says as long as those CBs feel some pride and rise up. It's not rule change! That's a cop out. I have seen oh so many Safeties (and top CBs) play a WR well.

This is so fascinating and I've enjoyed so many that share similar thoughts. Schwartz has completely turned that franchise around in such a short time and they were perennial losers with an all-time low of fan interest before he got there.
I know right, considering the Lions have many weapons and the leagues best WR and yet they may finish 7-9 after starting 6-3.

BUT HEY! Lets keep the coach, he is working out.

I miss the guy.

You got me thinking...I don't think you're right yet can't come up with anyone so maybe this is true. I never realized that. Vermeil?

I thought Marvin Lewis built an incredible defense that Billick feasted off of. I give him credit for not trying to make Dilfer into Daunte and recognizing the differences and all, but I didn't find him overly impressive as a HC. Gruden I've never respected as a coach even with Dungy's team.

Conceding your point, I still miss Cowher and would think teams would then want him to build them a contender and find someone else to win it all. I remember a Parcells article about how the value of franchises sky-rocketed when he re-built the teams. The Jets and Boys not being the punchline in jokes had to help too.

While I follow the Titans, I think he'd be perfect there. You put him in a city where they had this high flying offense and ..I don't see it.

Personally, I think CB play has been terrible. There are some superb players, but the rest aren't very good at all. Some of these WRs are blessed with great ability, but where is the CB's ego and pride bruised so he knocks the ball down or tackles him as legally hard as he can? I used to think there's no way a mouthy Cortland Finnegan should coach in the NFL when he retires. Now, I almost don't care what he says as long as those CBs feel some pride and rise up. It's not rule change! That's a cop out. I have seen oh so many Safeties (and top CBs) play a WR well.
Ya I heard a couple years ago when Wash got Shanny that no coach has ever won a title with two different teams.

I agree Cower could be great, and might see him more in head office role or building the team, but not sure I see him back on the sidelines as a head coach again. Someone would certainly give hiim a chance I think if there weren't other options, but I think a top college coach or offensive co-ordinator that is lighting up the league would be higher up on almost all teams' lists.

Don't discount the Titans offense yet... they have some exciting WR weapons and I think they are moulding into a more offensive minded team, especially if they draft an exciting young RB which I expect them to do after they cut CJ. Can't see Green/Locker being the future of this team for long, but who knows.

I know right, considering the Lions have many weapons and the leagues best WR and yet they may finish 7-9 after starting 6-3.

Yeah I enjoy this. It's nice to see really. I have several Lions fans as friends that went through a lot of lean years.

So let's suppose you've got them signing some marquee name who takes the team to the next level...that's fantastic. Not long ago that seemed like a pipe dream.

Yeah I enjoy this. It's nice to see really. I have several Lions fans as friends that went through a lot of lean years.

So let's suppose you've got them signing some marquee name who takes the team to the next level...that's fantastic. Not long ago that seemed like a pipe dream.
I think he needs to be gone as the team has all the talent in the world, but needs a shake up. Schwartz might lead them to a good season next year, but not a superbowl... he keeps blowing it at the end of the season / end of games. When teams do that, that's usually on the coach, not the players. A team that goes 6-3 has good enough players, but you don't have your team focused and aren't calling the right plays, etc if you keep collapsing like that.

Yeah I enjoy this. It's nice to see really. I have several Lions fans as friends that went through a lot of lean years.So let's suppose you've got them signing some marquee name who takes the team to the next level...that's fantastic. Not long ago that seemed like a pipe dream.
I think he needs to be gone as the team has all the talent in the world, but needs a shake up. Schwartz might lead them to a good season next year, but not a superbowl... he keeps blowing it at the end of the season / end of games. When teams do that, that's usually on the coach, not the players. A team that goes 6-3 has good enough players, but you don't have your team focused and aren't calling the right plays, etc if you keep collapsing like that.
Yeah, lions blew a gift opportunity this year with the bears and packers hurting.

I miss the guy.
Cower was good, but I think his time might be passed. He's a hard nosed guy but with the league going more offensive scheme focused, younger guys and offensive minded coaches are often sought after now. WIth Kelly/Harbaugh's recent successes, I think we are going to see more and more College coaches and offensive coordinators getting most of the gigs.When does hiring coaches who have had success YEARS ago really work? No coach in nfl history has won a superbowl with 2 different teams. Look at guys like Shanny who won superbowls then totally stink it up in their new gigs.

Good post. It's not often you see a guy leave the game, his value keeps going up as he sits out, and then it goes the other way. But it has. Cowherd could easily build a team the right way but I really don't think, beyond that, that owners are looking for guys like him. They want the dynamic offensive guys that will put up points and cause chaos on defenses and they figure they can hire a GM for the building part. Cowher's window to capitalize was from the day he left up until about two seasons ago. Now he's just nostalgic name.

Yeah I enjoy this. It's nice to see really. I have several Lions fans as friends that went through a lot of lean years.So let's suppose you've got them signing some marquee name who takes the team to the next level...that's fantastic. Not long ago that seemed like a pipe dream.
Yeah, lions blew a gift opportunity this year with the bears and packers hurting.
If Schwartz doesn't get fired after this years collapse, mishaps and yelling at fans.

I do not know what you have to do to get fired in Detroit. Wayne Fontes got fired and was far better and far more successful.

If Schwartz doesn't get fired after this years collapse, mishaps and yelling at fans.
I do not know what you have to do to get fired in Detroit. Wayne Fontes got fired and was far better and far more successful.
Well what's available? Aside from lack of fan support, they started to attract free agents in Detroit and that was a real hindrance when they couldn't. They can't step backward here.

Like you alluded to earlier, a step up is intriguing-signing some schlub that failed on two previous teams or some college guy we all predict will fail....that can't happen. It has to be improvement IMO.

That old Redskins guy that used to be the Texans GM(forget his name right now)...he loved Schwartz. I'll be curious if that franchise is still intrigued by him.

If so, BB and Fisher would probably offer him a job the minute he's fired.

Philbin needs to be axed
For what, exceeding expectations?

Or for not controlling his locker room?
Being a terrible coach.
Tannehill did him no favors, but I agree he's a terrible head coach.

Really crapped the bed in the last month when they were a borderline playoff contender.
Yeah, I don't think Tannehill is a franchise QB at all. IF he can't succeed being hand-picked by his college coach, now OC then I don't see him getting better. Of course, Sherman has done a miserable job.

Philbin needs to be axed
For what, exceeding expectations?

Or for not controlling his locker room?
Being a terrible coach.
Tannehill did him no favors, but I agree he's a terrible head coach.

Really crapped the bed in the last month when they were a borderline playoff contender.
Yeah, I don't think Tannehill is a franchise QB at all. IF he can't succeed being hand-picked by his college coach, now OC then I don't see him getting better. Of course, Sherman has done a miserable job.
Same wavelength. If Philbin somehow survives, Sherman HAS to go

That old Redskins guy that used to be the Texans GM(forget his name right now)...he loved Schwartz. I'll be curious if that franchise is still intrigued by him.

If so, BB and Fisher would probably offer him a job the minute he's fired.
Charley Casserly.

I thought Chud did a pretty good job this year, all things considered. Pretty creative playcaller, scrappy team that stayed in games.

Instability doesn't get you anywhere, if you're firing guys who maybe shouldn't be fired.

Reports say Schwartz, Frazier, and Shanahan to be fired.

Ryan to be brought back by the Jets

I thought Chud did a pretty good job this year, all things considered. Pretty creative playcaller, scrappy team that stayed in games.

Instability doesn't get you anywhere, if you're firing guys who maybe shouldn't be fired.
Yeah, that surprises me as well. Did much better than a guy with a team QB'd by Weeden/Hoyer/Campbell should have.

Bri said:
Phenix said:
Deamon said:
Bad NFL teams are supposed to get better. With the draft and the cap, that's how the league is set up. Once they got the historically bad Matt Millen out of the way, the Lions were able to start accumulating talent like a normal team. Schwartz doesn't really deserve a lot of credit for that.

Yeah, that surprises me as well. Did much better than a guy with a team QB'd by Weeden/Hoyer/Campbell should have.
Agree. Not setting the world on fire but, geez, you have to build a house by laying a foundation somewhere and these guys were in games. That's a start

The other thing to consider is that a coaching candidate who has options will not want to go to Cleveland if the leash is going to be a s short as the front office has demonstrated...

I am not going to say firing Chud is bad from a football perspective, but it really makes our organization look 5x dumber than it already did.

These are the same "geniuses" that traded away Richardson. Blind squirrels.
Just because some FBGs disagree with the firing doesn't make it wrong. Recall that most also thought trading Richardson away was beyond stupid by the front office.
So you are saying it is a good move to bring in a new staff, new offense, new defense, and run this well oiled machine with Weeden, Campbell, and several non-NFL caliber RBs, and then fire the coach after one year of it not working?

As I said before, I don't care enough about Chud for it to anger me he is fired, but it looks ridiculous to fire him after one year.

Just because some FBGs disagree with the firing doesn't make it wrong. Recall that most also thought trading Richardson away was beyond stupid by the front office.
So you are saying it is a good move to bring in a new staff, new offense, new defense, and run this well oiled machine with Weeden, Campbell, and several non-NFL caliber RBs, and then fire the coach after one year of it not working?

As I said before, I don't care enough about Chud for it to anger me he is fired, but it looks ridiculous to fire him after one year.
I wish the Vikings fired Leslie Frazier after 1 year. Maybe he is not a good coach and they don't need 3 years to figure that out.

The Browns make me glad to be a Bears fan. Fire head coach after 1 season? What a bunch of maroons :loco:
We have more in common than you think. I thought only the browns lose games by giving up long touchdowns on 4th and 7 with under a minute left. As a browns fan i would be upset but we have the cowboys, lions, and yes even the bears to keep us company in our misery.

I wish the Vikings fired Leslie Frazier after 1 year. Maybe he is not a good coach and they don't need 3 years to figure that out.
It does not appear he is anywhere near bad enough to get fired after one year. Maybe Frazier was, who knows.

I know Pat Shurmur was. Nobody woulda questioned firing him after one year.

I miss the guy.
Cower was good, but I think his time might be passed. He's a hard nosed guy but with the league going more offensive scheme focused, younger guys and offensive minded coaches are often sought after now. WIth Kelly/Harbaugh's recent successes, I think we are going to see more and more College coaches and offensive coordinators getting most of the gigs.When does hiring coaches who have had success YEARS ago really work? No coach in nfl history has won a superbowl with 2 different teams. Look at guys like Shanny who won superbowls then totally stink it up in their new gigs.

You got me thinking...I don't think you're right yet can't come up with anyone so maybe this is true. I never realized that. Vermeil?I thought Marvin Lewis built an incredible defense that Billick feasted off of. I give him credit for not trying to make Dilfer into Daunte and recognizing the differences and all, but I didn't find him overly impressive as a HC. Gruden I've never respected as a coach even with Dungy's team.

It is absolutely true.

Users who are viewing this thread