What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Santonio Holmes/Miles Austin - where do they land? (1 Viewer)

Sweet Love

IBL Representative
These two kind of stick out to me, because if healthy, both are still capable of 800+ yard seasons. For both, that is far from a given, but I do think as time goes by, they could provide some good value (guessing their current ADP is in the 80s for WR), so they can be picked up as WR 5-6 in a 16 teamer.

Here are my thoughts on both:

Miles Austin - Missed 11 games in the last three years...game based on speed, and his leg injuries have sapped him of that value. Was phased out of the offense last year in favor of Terrance Williams, but put up a line of 66-943-6 in 2012. Those are good WR3 numbers, so you can see where I am intrigued by the potential value. Not a troublemaker, and a good locker room guy from all accounts. He will start the season as a 30 year-old and while he is not he type of guy I see going into his mid-30s still in the league, we have witnessed injury prone WRs get right into their 30s (Joey Galloway for example).

Santonio Holmes - I got to watch him as a Jets fan the last few years, and I would say his future looks more bleak. He also will start the season at 30 years old, but since his breakout year in 2009, the best numbers he has posted were the following year 52-746-6. That is not good. Between suspensions and injury, he has missed 21 games in the last four seasons. He still shows "flashes", but they are few, and far between. He also has now burned bridges in two cities (before his 30th birthday, mind you), and I am not sure someone is going to take a chance on him with such paltry numbers on the field.

I can see Austin landing in a place like Carolina once they let the draft shake out (or even a return to Dallas)...I am not sure what to make of Holmes. Maybe a guy like Andy Reid could get something out of him, but there are few places I can see him landing where he will have any impact.

I've been quietly curious about this as well. I think both guys are capable of 1000+ but obviously situation is critical to that. I'm sure you watches Holmes more than I did, but I came away impressed after expecting him to be ruined after the lisfranc injury and missing so much camp. 30 is not old by any means for a WR, so age doesn't concern me a bit. Health and situation are the only components worth worrying about here. Talent and age are just fine. But Miles has now had hamstring injuries in three straight seasons. He's played through 2 games with a debilitating injury for every 1 that he's missed. Guys just aren't effective with hamstring injuries. Look at Fitz last year.

I'll gladly take a flyer on either guy (or both if roster is deep enough). If one lands on Carolina, their stock will obviously jump, but I expect both to be seriously discounted regardless. They've both suffered injuries and consequently production drought. In the case of Holmes, he was also in a horrible situation for a WR.

Sidney Rice is another guy still in his prime, but marred by injuries, that could do well in a good situation.

I think Rice is back in Seattle, so that is why I targeted these two as "best available", IMO. You are correct in that Holmes did look good, but he has that attitude which compounds the age/injury dilemma.

I'm surprised the Jets haven't sniffed around Miles Austin given the fact that he's a hometown guy, has talent, and is likely not going to break the bank. Health has been an issue but hamstring injuries should be something that's manageable.

Looking at 1 year minimal deal at the lowest price possible. No way they are 1K yard receivers, that would be only by volume and they are not WR1 or WR2's.

With an incoming class, it's useless to take away snaps and give them to these guys.

Holmes could be a training camp injury option, Austin could catch on in a desperate situation (CAR?), but both are flyers w/ very low upside.

Dr. Octopus said:
I'm surprised the Jets haven't sniffed around Miles Austin given the fact that he's a hometown guy, has talent, and is likely not going to break the bank. Health has been an issue but hamstring injuries should be something that's manageable.
This was my thought as well. It still might happen. Maybe they're waiting to see how the draft shakes out

Looking at 1 year minimal deal at the lowest price possible. No way they are 1K yard receivers, that would be only by volume and they are not WR1 or WR2's.

With an incoming class, it's useless to take away snaps and give them to these guys.

Holmes could be a training camp injury option, Austin could catch on in a desperate situation (CAR?), but both are flyers w/ very low upside.
Wtf are you talking about? It's useless only if you don't want to win now (which is understandable for a team like Cleveland or Jax). Rookies still take time to develop into workable NFL WRs in most cases. Both guys are still in their prime and have shown they are capable of being NFL WR1s. If they are both 100% healthy (quite an assumption for sure) then they are still capable.

All 1000 yard receivers are by volume and I specifically mentioned situation would dictate their chance at hitting that number. If one of them lands in a situation where they see 120+ targets then they could easily crack 1000 yards. Although, veterans coming off down years and/or injuries don't usually get handed WR1 jobs, it is feasible since they are the best options out there and Carolina still needs a WR1. The WR1 in Carolina will probably be a fantasy WR2 and these guys are priced at what? WR7?

Wtf are you talking about? It's useless only if you don't want to win now (which is understandable for a team like Cleveland or Jax). Rookies still take time to develop into workable NFL WRs in most cases. Both guys are still in their prime and have shown they are capable of being NFL WR1s. If they are both 100% healthy (quite an assumption for sure) then they are still capable.

All 1000 yard receivers are by volume and I specifically mentioned situation would dictate their chance at hitting that number. If one of them lands in a situation where they see 120+ targets then they could easily crack 1000 yards. Although, veterans coming off down years and/or injuries don't usually get handed WR1 jobs, it is feasible since they are the best options out there and Carolina still needs a WR1. The WR1 in Carolina will probably be a fantasy WR2 and these guys are priced at what? WR7?
Tell you WTF I'm thinking. They are well past the expiration date for WR1 unless it's in the USFL, CFL or any other offshoot league. They are not difference makers, can't play on the outside, have injury histories and I'd rather build and develop a player at 21or 22 than those guys. 32 teams, no visits.

As an Austin owner in a 19 player, PPR, dynasty, start 3 WR league I am chalking up Austin as one of my guaranteed cuts come draft time. This is doubtful to change, but I would change my mind if Austin signed with a good situation and showed flashes in preseason, I just don't see that happening.

Tell you WTF I'm thinking. They are well past the expiration date for WR1 unless it's in the USFL, CFL or any other offshoot league. They are not difference makers, can't play on the outside, have injury histories and I'd rather build and develop a player at 21or 22 than those guys. 32 teams, no visits.
I guess Andre Johnson should just hang them up then. And Reggie Wayne must've never had that 1355 yd season at age 34. It must've been a glitch in the matrix and actually a repeat from the other year he had 1355 yards. Oh wait, that season was at age 32, so it must've been an error, too. Brandon Marshall is the same age as them. Better write him off. Vincent Jackson is older than them. Stick a fork in him. Steve Smith averaged 1284 yds from age 32 to 33. Wes Welker's best years were at 30 and 31. Boldin at age 33 had a better season than he did at 29, 30, 31, and 32. Why? Situation.

So, as I said before, this is clearly a buyer's market for 30 year old WRs coming off of bad years, but these guys are far from over the hill. Their situations have not been favorable, but if they catch a break (health + passing offense) then they could easily be relevant again. Even at the ripe old age of 30 (Miles has a few more months before he turns 30).

It might be time to start thinking about using that college education for a 2nd career, that is if they have one.

I guess Andre Johnson should just hang them up then. And Reggie Wayne must've never had that 1355 yd season at age 34. It must've been a glitch in the matrix and actually a repeat from the other year he had 1355 yards. Oh wait, that season was at age 32, so it must've been an error, too. Brandon Marshall is the same age as them. Better write him off. Vincent Jackson is older than them. Stick a fork in him. Steve Smith averaged 1284 yds from age 32 to 33. Wes Welker's best years were at 30 and 31. Boldin at age 33 had a better season than he did at 29, 30, 31, and 32. Why? Situation.

So, as I said before, this is clearly a buyer's market for 30 year old WRs coming off of bad years, but these guys are far from over the hill. Their situations have not been favorable, but if they catch a break (health + passing offense) then they could easily be relevant again. Even at the ripe old age of 30 (Miles has a few more months before he turns 30).
C-o-n-t-e-x-t. Not every WR at/over 30, these two guys. Their situations are not favorable for definite reasons, you are missing the huge red flags. As far as relevant, that ship has sailed. Again, 32 teams, no visits. Nada. None.

C-o-n-t-e-x-t. Not every WR at/over 30, these two guys. Their situations are not favorable for definite reasons, you are missing the huge red flags. As far as relevant, that ship has sailed. Again, 32 teams, no visits. Nada. None.
Sigh. So you are telling me these guys are over the hill but not the other guys? These guys just have a rare disease where they age too quickly? Look, you are right that their situations are not favorable. I've been saying that all along. That's why they are at an extreme discount fantasy-wise and in the NFL. Randy Moss was written off at age 30 just like these guys after three lackluster seasons on two teams.

P-r-e-m-a-t-u-r-e. Writing guys off who were injured and/or in bad situations is premature. I know people on FF boards like to flippantly write guys off and/or pile on them when they're down, but these guys both have an outside chance at a comeback. Both have shown great talent in the past and need the elusive combination of situation and health to get back in the shark pool's good graces. But to write them off completely and say it's over is just narrow minded and silly.

I'm not saying to bank on them for production. But they are worth a flyer if your bench is deep enough or maybe they'll be $2 in the subscriber contest. I won't hesitate to grab them in the kicker/defense rounds of best ball leagues to fill out my WR6/WR7 spots.

I think that tackling dummies is referencing that the two guys in question are done, NOT every WR in their age group. Did you see Austin play last year . . . guy could have tried out for the invisible man.

I think that tackling dummies is referencing that the two guys in question are done, NOT every WR in their age group. Did you see Austin play last year . . . guy could have tried out for the invisible man.
Austin looked done to me, but Holmes looked like he could still play.

I thought there'd be some sort of market for Holmes. My guess is that he'll latch on with somebody eventually, but this just shows you what a grade A headache he must be.

As an Austin owner in a 19 player, PPR, dynasty, start 3 WR league I am chalking up Austin as one of my guaranteed cuts come draft time. This is doubtful to change, but I would change my mind if Austin signed with a good situation and showed flashes in preseason, I just don't see that happening.
I am in same situation with Austin in a 22 player dynasty league. His hammy issues seem to be on-going and bothersome enough that it keeps him off the field and/or ineffective. I don't understand it--hammys SHOULD be manageable. But for this guy, they don't seem to be. I doubt that changes and that is probably why no team was interested.

For Holmes, I owned him but jettisoned him last off season--thankfully. I don't think he has ever recovered fully from the Lis Franc. He is a guy who relied on his speed and I don't think it is there anymore.

That being said, in deep leagues, they are both still worth a late flyer, and could be WR3s IF they land on the right team. But I really doubt it.

Users who are viewing this thread