What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB performance after high ankle sprains? (Charles) (1 Viewer)

iamkoza

Footballguy
We all remember CJ Spiller's dismal 2013 season which many have blamed on his high ankle sprain.... can anyone think of more recent high ankle sprain RB's and what they did after the injury?

CJ Spiller 2013... never looked right after his early season high ankle sprain

adrian peterson 2011.... missed a month then came back and didnt do much the last 2 games

darren mcfadden 2012.... also missed a month, production seemed to be ok per game logs

edits:

Matt forte 2012.... looking at the reports the bears denied it was a high ankle sprain... and given he only missed one game it would seem they were being honest.... he was fine the rest of that season too

I'm wondering if the shark move is to cut bait on charles... i suppose if you already have knile davis its no harm to keep charles.... but the worst case scenario would be cahrles coming back in a limited form ala CJ Spiller 2013

Last edited by a moderator:
FOrte in 2012
early reports called it a high ankle sprain... but i found a quote from then coach lovie smith 3 days after the game in which he was denying that it was a high ankle sprain.. forte only missed one game and produced fine for the rest of that season... so i would think lovie was being truthful for once :)

It won't be a pretty season for this guy. The high ankle sprain plus a crappy OL, this guy has the makings of a colossal 1st RD bust.

It won't be a pretty season for this guy. The high ankle sprain plus a crappy OL, this guy has the makings of a colossal 1st RD bust.
Or...you basically get a fresh and healthy Jamaal Charles start playing in week 6 or 7 when a lot of opponents have been through the rigors of the season and he rocks it out 2nd half of the season.

This is a dangerous player to overlook. He was on the field for 3 minutes yesterday and got 2 points just by breathing. Injuries happen. Might be Calvin next week. Dunno. But I know if Charles is on the field, I want him. One game. Ten games. Whatever. Let him sit right now while the Chiefs get their line issues resolved and then bring him back and let him do his thing.

Forte's situation was slightly unique in that his injury happened on a Thursday night week 2, he didn't play week 3 and then their week 4 game was on Monday night so even though he only missed one game, he actually got 18 days rest and didn't play all that great the first game back (13-52 and only 1 target in the passing game resulting in negative yardage). Had a good game the week after against Jax which was over 3.5 weeks after the initial injury and then had his bye the week after that so he got additional rest. And as someone already posted, we're not even sure if that was definitely a HAS.

Charles has his bye week 6, obviously depends on the severity, but I wouldn't be shocked if we don't see him until week 7.

Forte's situation was slightly unique in that his injury happened on a Thursday night week 2, he didn't play week 3 and then their week 4 game was on Monday night so even though he only missed one game, he actually got 18 days rest and didn't play all that great the first game back (13-52 and only 1 target in the passing game resulting in negative yardage). Had a good game the week after against Jax which was over 3.5 weeks after the initial injury and then had his bye the week after that. And as someone already posted, we're not even sure if that was definitely a HAS.

Charles has his bye week 6, obviously depends on the severity, but I wouldn't be shocked if we don't see him until week 7.
Nice rundown of the timeline.

Forte's situation was slightly unique in that his injury happened on a Thursday night week 2, he didn't play week 3 and then their week 4 game was on Monday night so even though he only missed one game, he actually got 18 days rest and didn't play all that great the first game back (13-52 and only 1 target in the passing game resulting in negative yardage). Had a good game the week after against Jax which was over 3.5 weeks after the initial injury and then had his bye the week after that so he got additional rest. And as someone already posted, we're not even sure if that was definitely a HAS.

As a Charles owner, I hope we don't see him until after the bye. HAS is an injury that requires rest or it simply won't go away. Let him recover fully and release the beast week 7.

As a Charles owner, I hope we don't see him until after the bye. HAS is an injury that requires rest or it simply won't go away. Let him recover fully and release the beast week 7.
although it hurts for now, I agree. Rather have a healthy Charles in week 7 - playoffs than rush him back and have it linger.

although it hurts for now, I agree. Rather have a healthy Charles in week 7 - playoffs than rush him back and have it linger.
In a dynasty league, I agree. Not sure if I had him in a redraft though. Missing half the season with the guy you had a top-3 overall on likely means your season is over if its a competitive/competent league.

In a dynasty league, I agree. Not sure if I had him in a redraft though. Missing half the season with the guy you had a top-3 overall on likely means your season is over if its a competitive/competent league.
Losing your first round pick for 4 games definitely hurts but it happens. All you can do is hit the WW and/or play your RB3 until Charles returns. It could be worse. Charles could be out for 10 games or the rest of the season.

Losing your first round pick for 4 games definitely hurts but it happens. All you can do is hit the WW and/or play your RB3 until Charles returns. It could be worse. Charles could be out for 10 games or the rest of the season.
He still could be. Not sure why everybody is so sure that it's only 4 games. Nobody really knows for sure.

He still could be. Not sure why everybody is so sure that it's only 4 games. Nobody really knows for sure.
You are absolutely correct. We are all just guessing. My point is that you manage your team with what you know. You hold Charles on your roster and play the next best RB until he returns to the field. Some FF teams will struggle into the playoffs without Charles. Some may have lost their only chance. It is only week 3. There is a lot of football season left.

CJ Spiller 2013... never looked right after his early season high ankle sprain
Fun fact: Spiller averaged 4.0 ypc in games 1-8 and 5.1 ypc in games 9-16. So I think he probably did look right in the second half of the season, but his lack of TDs makes people think he was bad.

I think Mathews had a HAS sprain his rookie year and aggravated it again later in the season. Missed a total of 4 games that year.

Not to mention the two games he did play with no production.

If it's a true high ankle sprain, he has quite a big of ligament damage around the entire ankle, with ligament damage also occurring above the ankle to the calf. There will be little to no difference in shape/definition going from your calf to your foot. There is no way Matt Forte had a true high ankle sprain and played in a week and a half. Myself, and other athletes I know who have had high ankle sprains have had their ankle stay swollen for months, not weeks. Even over a year later, sometimes high ankle sprains can still make the ankle weaker than what is was before. A lot of times bad lower ankle sprains can be mistaken for a high ankle sprain due to the severity of the swollenness, but a true high ankle sprain is no fun. A player like Jamaal Charles might be more affected than say a lineman because he relies on his speed and cuts so much to be effective.

Any more updates on this injury? I was kinda annoyed I couldn't IR him last night (he was listed as day to day), but I am assuming he is actually out for awhile?

I heard a bit on Matthew Berry's podcast where someone was talking about high ankle sprains. A high ankle sprain doesn't necessarily mean it's a long-term injury that can depend a lot on the severity and low ankle sprains sometimes can put guys out longer. We are just all guessing at this point. The fact they said it was mild though, gives us some hope. I just think back to the McFadden injury, given it was a Lisfranc, but teams are just so hush-hush on injuries I don't know what to believe.

I think the problem w/ Spiller last year is that he just tried to come back too soon, and likely further aggravated the injury at some point before he ended up sitting out again.

I heard a bit on Matthew Berry's podcast where someone was talking about high ankle sprains. A high ankle sprain doesn't necessarily mean it's a long-term injury that can depend a lot on the severity and low ankle sprains sometimes can put guys out longer. We are just all guessing at this point. The fact they said it was mild though, gives us some hope. I just think back to the McFadden injury, given it was a Lisfranc, but teams are just so hush-hush on injuries I don't know what to believe.
About the bolded part: Was Reid the one saying he believes "it's on the lighter side" or something along those lines? If that's all we got than this is IMO no reason to be relieved.

Yeah, this is really a tough situation. We are pretty much entirely in the dark here -- he could be back in 2 weeks... or 10. And when he does come back, will he really be right back to the top-3 production everyone drafted him for? I own him in 2 of my 3 leagues, but I'm afraid I just don't see it.

I've gotten a few offers for Charles -- VJax and Spiller for Charles and Gerhart (or Justin Hunter) is the closest to reasonable and even that is horribly low value. I'm close to taking the deal on the premise that at 0-2, I need guys who can play now, not in 4+ weeks. Leaning more towards holding onto Charles and hoping that I can get by the next few weeks before Charles comes back healthy and ready rock.

Yeah, this is really a tough situation. We are pretty much entirely in the dark here -- he could be back in 2 weeks... or 10. And when he does come back, will he really be right back to the top-3 production everyone drafted him for? I own him in 2 of my 3 leagues, but I'm afraid I just don't see it.

I've gotten a few offers for Charles -- VJax and Spiller for Charles and Gerhart (or Justin Hunter) is the closest to reasonable and even that is horribly low value. I'm close to taking the deal on the premise that at 0-2, I need guys who can play now, not in 4+ weeks. Leaning more towards holding onto Charles and hoping that I can get by the next few weeks before Charles comes back healthy and ready rock.
2013 - Week 15, 4 games or 10, I'm not letting this happen to me again.

Charles, Jamaal KCC RB

at Raiders Sun 1:05 p.m. PT

KCC 56, 31

24.000 4 Receiving TDs

6.000 1 Rushing TDs

8.000 8 Receptions

2.000 20 Rushing Yards

21.767 195 Receiving Yards

61.767 Subtotal

2014 - Week 15

http://espn.go.com/nfl/schedule/_/week/15

Charles, Jamaal KCC RB

KCC 56, 31

24.000 4 Receiving TDs

6.000 1 Rushing TDs

8.000 8 Receptions

2.000 20 Rushing Yards

61.767 Subtotal

2014 - Week 15

You had to go and post that. I went though the five stages of grief in one three hour period watching my number 1 seeded team go down to the Charles owner who got in the playoffs because the week before the owner with Reggie Bush didn't remove him before the snow bowl in Philly. Fun times...And oh yeah, I have Charles this year. FML...

Charles, Jamaal KCC RB

KCC 56, 31

24.000 4 Receiving TDs

6.000 1 Rushing TDs

8.000 8 Receptions

2.000 20 Rushing Yards

61.767 Subtotal

2014 - Week 15

You had to go and post that. I went though the five stages of grief in one three hour period watching my number 1 seeded team go down to the Charles owner who got in the playoffs because the week before the owner with Reggie Bush didn't remove him before the snow bowl in Philly. Fun times...And oh yeah, I have Charles this year. FML...
Yeah. I had the highest scoring team in the league. Lost by 2 points to the Charles team in that game while scoring the second highest point total in league history. I remember seeing the game breaks and I kept thinking, why do they keep showing that 70 yard touchdown over and over again?

I own him this year too.

Not a fan of him practicing. But if he really is practicing then he probably doesnt have a high ankle sprain.

Who knows what the deal is

Yep, a sign of relief hath shown itself! Seen on Rotoworld:

Jamaal Charles (ankle) returned to Chiefs practice Thursday.
Per ESPN's Adam Teicher, Charles participated in warmups, spent a "brief period" being tended to by the team's trainer and then joined position drills. It would suggest Charles isn't dealing with a high-ankle sprain at all, and that the Chiefs have been misapplying the phrase. There's still more reason to believe Charles will sit than suit up this weekend, but we obviously don't have enough information right now. Charles owners should not count on him being active for Week 3, while Knile Davis owners simply need to sit tight.

I guess the reports of his death were exaggerated.

Hope those people taking fliers the other day went Rainey over Davis.

If you're a Charles owner it's a good sign that he's at least on the practice field. Though you should probably hope he doesn't try to play this weekend. Part of the reason for Spiller's ankle issues last year had to do with him trying to come back too early.

we celebrate now but what if he plays in a 50-50 timeshare with davis... would just make things worse for people like me who rostered davis

he may have just set himself back further
if it is truly a high-ankle sprain, then chances are, yes, it's awfully stupid for him to be out there on the practice field. but all we know at this point is that it is "mild" and has the "component of a high-ankle sprain." WTF does that even mean? Reid is just blowing smoke up the media's collective ###.

if it is truly a high-ankle sprain, then chances are, yes, it's awfully stupid for him to be out there on the practice field. but all we know at this point is that it is "mild" and has the "component of a high-ankle sprain." WTF does that even mean? Reid is just blowing smoke up the media's collective ###.
maybe, but what's the point of that? so the miami dolphins only gameplan for charles thursday thru saturday instead of tuesday thru saturday?

If you're a Charles owner it's a good sign that he's at least on the practice field. Though you should probably hope he doesn't try to play this weekend. Part of the reason for Spiller's ankle issues last year had to do with him trying to come back too early.
Spiller is not Charles. Case by case basis.

I would think the notion that he is allowed to practice suggests this is a lot milder than what was thought. And that's kind of weird because he went down and it was like "OUT!" Kind of makes me wonder if the Chiefs just had a panic moment. Or maybe Charles is a fast healer. Who knows. All speculation but the fact he is on the practice field suggests he is doing pretty good.

kd1 said:
zgotts said:
VA703 said:
maybe, but what's the point of that? so the miami dolphins only gameplan for charles thursday thru saturday instead of tuesday thru saturday?
I think the point is merely to keep everyone confused. Either that or Reid was earnestly speaking from a lack of knowledge of the situation and just throwing words out there, which is very possible.

I'm not an Eagles or Chiefs fan, but Reid seems a bit like Belichick in that he doesn't like to share a lot with the media. Whether it's positive or negative information about a player on the team, why not just keep the situation as cloudy as possible for outsiders? Most of the time, there's no benefit in coming clean.

Aside from all of that, the Chiefs gameplan is likely the same whether it's Charles or Davis back there.

Either it's not a HAS, or KC is really stupid. They have a really good backup RB in Davis. It wouldn't make sense to have JC practicing on a HAS, even a "mild" one. Returning to practice too soon surely increases the likelihood of re-injury, even if it's "mild".

I didn't see the "component of a HAS" story. Link?

I remember my first ankle sprain like it was yesterday... Hobbled to the side of a basketball court, hobbled home. Within 2 days I was running around pretty well-i know cool story bro :) I think Reid is just f'ing with everyone, maybe they were just being extra cautious. I know coaches can get in some trouble for falsifying injuries, but my experience is that they understate/overstate the severity all the time.

Shutout said:
chinawildman said:
Spiller is not Charles. Case by case basis.

I would think the notion that he is allowed to practice suggests this is a lot milder than what was thought. And that's kind of weird because he went down and it was like "OUT!" Kind of makes me wonder if the Chiefs just had a panic moment. Or maybe Charles is a fast healer. Who knows. All speculation but the fact he is on the practice field suggests he is doing pretty good.
That much is obvious. Just pointing out that the Chiefs are better off playing it safe than be sorry later. Though I'd imagine some of this has to do with that fact that they're 0-2 and floundering as well.

these injury updates lately are all over the place (AJ Green, Ellington, Charles, etc.). I don't know what to believe.

these injury updates lately are all over the place (AJ Green, Ellington, Charles, etc.). I don't know what to believe.
It would be much easier if they would report the correct injuries. They can only report what they are told though.

But yeah, jesus, so annoying. An update every two hours for these guys and its different every time

Users who are viewing this thread