What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Heading to Bar Harbor, ME area next week, what to do? (1 Viewer)

badger

Footballguy
My wife and I plus another couple have rented a house near Bar Harbor, Maine next week. We're staying on the water in Hancock I believe. Our friends have been there before and are acting as tour guides a bit, but thought I'd check in to see what you guys think are the must-see's or must-do's in this part of the country. We also have 1 night in Portland on our way out of town.

You realize that it's a little drive from Hancock, ME to Bar Harbor, right? And I don't think there's much to do in Hancock itself. There's lots of great places right in Bar Harbor... why did you choose Hancock?

Acadia

Whale/ dolphin watch

Eat lobster

Drink at brew pubs
Pretty good list here.

If you get bored and have extra free time, a couple of day trips you could do are Campobello Island with FDR's summer house (in Canada, bring passport) to the north, or Camden and Mount Battie to the south.

Was just there last week.

Acadia is a must. We rented bikes and it was great. A good way to explore the park on the Carriage Roads.

I had the wife and the kids, so walking across the bar to the island at low tide was fun. With just couples, you may want to do something different.

I would take a Whale Watch cruise. Maybe rent Kayaks and look around the Harbor.

go to sand beach climb the mountain and eat popups at jordan lake outside under an umbrella all in acadia national park our national parks are awesome and when you get near one you should make it happen take that to the bank brohan

Blue Hill, Maine is up in the same area... it's a scenic little village with a few pretty good restaurants & bars. There's some famous people who live there... in fact, I think many residents are "somebody". I know Paul of Peter Paul & Mary lives there... Don McLean used to live there, among others

acadia is a funny national park if you have been out west it is sort of like they are removed from everything but acadia has cities in it left and right and homes and inholdings and so on so it is pretty different from what at least this dummy considers normal for a national park but i think you will like it there is one spot which i cannot remember the name of but if you get there when the tide is right it shoots spouts of water up in the air i guess ask a ranger about that one take that to the bank brohans

Some people are crazy and like to get up way too early to see the sunrise from Cadillac Mountain. I think it's the first place the sun rises in the US. I never went up for it, but my wife did and said there are tons of people there, especially photographers.

As mentioned, hiking is a must. Also mentioned have been the sand bar where you can walk (and even drive?) to an island at low tide and Thunder Hole. There's also a sand beach in the park. One night they had an astronomer out there pointing out things in the sky. There are usually various activities going on in the park.

I really like walking around cities and towns, so I'd suggest spending time just walking around the town of Bar Harbor. Hit the shops and restaurants and stuff.

I've gone whale watching twice in my life. First time was from Cape Cod and we saw over 20 humpbacks that day. They were everywhere, would swim near our boat, and many of them were eating which was cool to see. Second time was from Bar Harbor and we saw 2. They just swam around a bit. A bit disappointing, especially for the price. But, if you get lucky and see tons of them in action, it's an awesome experience.

Hit a genuine lobster shack in some nothing "town" on the water. We went to Thurston's Lobster Pound.

Some people are crazy and like to get up way too early to see the sunrise from Cadillac Mountain. I think it's the first place the sun rises in the US. I never went up for it, but my wife did and said there are tons of people there, especially photographers.

As mentioned, hiking is a must. Also mentioned have been the sand bar where you can walk (and even drive?) to an island at low tide and Thunder Hole. There's also a sand beach in the park. One night they had an astronomer out there pointing out things in the sky. There are usually various activities going on in the park.

I really like walking around cities and towns, so I'd suggest spending time just walking around the town of Bar Harbor. Hit the shops and restaurants and stuff.

I've gone whale watching twice in my life. First time was from Cape Cod and we saw over 20 humpbacks that day. They were everywhere, would swim near our boat, and many of them were eating which was cool to see. Second time was from Bar Harbor and we saw 2. They just swam around a bit. A bit disappointing, especially for the price. But, if you get lucky and see tons of them in action, it's an awesome experience.

Hit a genuine lobster shack in some nothing "town" on the water. We went to Thurston's Lobster Pound.
Do it by segway!

johnnycakes said:
You realize that it's a little drive from Hancock, ME to Bar Harbor, right? And I don't think there's much to do in Hancock itself. There's lots of great places right in Bar Harbor... why did you choose Hancock?
I don't realize that, I'm not 100% sure the house is even in Hancock. I just want to make sure I don't miss out on the usually exceptional recommendations from the FFA.

Of course, we will be eating and cooking lobster daily.

Parrothead said:
Acadia

Whale/ dolphin watch

Eat lobster

Drink at brew pubs
Good and simple list. I'll have to see if the group is in on #1, the other 3 for sure.
If you are going all the way to Bar Harbor and not doing at least a full morning/afternoon in Acadia you might as well pick a seaside town closer to Portland.

Parrothead said:
Acadia

Whale/ dolphin watch

Eat lobster

Drink at brew pubs
Good and simple list. I'll have to see if the group is in on #1, the other 3 for sure.
If you are going all the way to Bar Harbor and not doing at least a full morning/afternoon in Acadia you might as well pick a seaside town closer to Portland.
I assume my "tour guide" has this all figured out.

Parrothead said:
Acadia

Whale/ dolphin watch

Eat lobster

Drink at brew pubs
There's no way you can't go see Acadia National Park and at least drive up Cadillac Mountain.

That said... a Maine vacation shouldn't be hectic, trying to cram in as much crap as one possibly can during the stay. Sounds like you have a good feel for how to spend the time... relax, eat, drink, enjoy the beautiful scenery, etc. But every single person you ever meet is going to ask you if you saw Acadia National Park and Cadillac Mountain if they know anything about Maine. Don't get me wrong... neither is a Yellowstone, but these are easily the biggest tourist draws to the area.

If it were me, I'd stay in Bar Harbor itself. It's more spread out than other coastal towns.. you'll still need a car to get around, but there are lots of good restaurants and bars and sights within a very short drive from Bar Harbor.

Oh yeah... the water is cold up there. Real cold. Even in summer. You might do some wading, but I'm not so sure about actual swimming.

I hiked Mt Penobscot, which was a decent walk, but not too strenuous. There are some tougher trails around there if that's your thing as well. Screw the driving to the top nonsense.

This just in...

(NEW YORK) -- When ABC's Good Morning America put out a call this month for your favorite places in America, the response was overwhelming.

GMA viewers sent in so many entries, from all over America, but in the end, Maine’s Acadia National Park took the top spot on GMA’s Favorite Place in America, finishing ahead of top five finalists including Lake Tahoe and the Chicago Lakefront.

Acadia is situated along the state’s central coast. Attracting more than 2 million visitors each year, the park is home to nearly 50,000 acres of jaw-dropping beauty, providing something for everyone with its cobblestone beaches, lush forests and rugged mountains.

The park’s centerpiece is the majestic Cadillac Mountain. Situated on Acadia’s Mount Desert Island and rising more than 1,500 feet, Cadillac is the highest point on the Eastern coast, and it’s famous for being the first place to see the sunrise in the U.S.

The park is designed to give visitors a front-row seat to nature, with 45 miles of scenic carriage roads and 125 miles of hiking trails.

Aracely and Sergio Rios visited Acadia during their travels to the lower 48 states. By far, Acadia is the Texas couple’s favorite place.

Once visitors are done exploring Acadia, they can head to nearby Bar Harbor to enjoy its shops, stroll the quaint streets and dig into some of the freshest lobster in the state.

Next, stop by Acadia’s cliffside Bass Harbor Head lighthouse to soak in the sunset.

Recommendations on eating establishments always good.
Reds Eats in Wiscassett. Best seafood and lobster rolls in ME and worth the wait in line It's on Rt 1 on the way from Portland and is a much more scenic drive than taking 95 North. I love Bar Harbor. Have not been there in a few years. I worked there back in the 90's subcontracting work on new houses and had free room and board right in town. Good times.

Users who are viewing this thread