What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2014 Boston Marathon story - overblown? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Dude

Footballguy
I searched and I am surprised this topic hasn't already been discussed.

While I understand the 2014 Boston Marathon is mildly a national interest story, I also think the story is overblown in the press as a day of prevailing over the tragedy.

Now if you live there or ran it the marathon before - the story is a little different for you.

But on a national level is the story is minor news. And is not about prevailing over tragedy.

Looking for other thoughts

Yeah, since when it is national news when somebody sets off a homemade bomb at at major public gathering? Clearly such an event should only be of interest to a small subset of the population.

You do realize that people from all over the country train (sometimes over multiple years) to compete in the Boston Marathon, right? So when the bombing last year occurred, it did affect people (and friends and family) nationally.

First, I am referring to the 2014 story - not the events of 2013. Second I am referring to the positioning of the 2014 marathon as a test of endurance or prevalence over evil.

First, I am referring to the 2014 story - not the events of 2013. Second I am referring to the positioning of the 2014 marathon as a test of endurance or prevalence over evil.
for many in the field the events of last year have served as their motivation in training.

Media has extensively covered the anniversaries of other national tragedies. (9-11, Columbine, Sandy Hook, etc.) I don't know why you expected them to do things differently this time.

Terrorist blows up major invent maiming and killing dozens. Many of those victims returning to the scene, some running, all lives never will be the same due to missing limbs, etc. Yeah this shouldnt be covered at all

Without a doubt it is being overblown. But the media loves this stuff so we will be reminded of it every year. The 5 year anniversary will be quite the "celebration" for people who cannot get enough of it. Yeah boy, not sure how America will get through tomorrow.

Terrorist blows up major invent maiming and killing dozens. Many of those victims returning to the scene, some running, all lives never will be the same due to missing limbs, etc. Yeah this shouldnt be covered at all
Three people died. 3. That's a SImpson's handful.

Like I said there are personal stories of people that were there - and those that lived there.

But at the end of the race, I am not certain that there is any triumph other than those individuals. It's a personal story. Not a national story of perseverance.

And it's not a fishing trip. Watching the news this morning about how the nation will be fixated on the marathon. But seriously, if you are a person who hasn't been there does tomorrow's event resonate with you as a major event?

it wasn't a terrorist it was two morons.

I guess my point is that at the end of the race, not a thing has changed. I get the closure it brings to some people (mostly participants and locals). But at the end of the day, there is no triumph over evil just because the marathon was completed without incident.

I agree with you that there will be some great stories of personal perseverance. Just not sure that the completion of the marathon itself is significant of anything (except in those cases).

I will be watching the survivor stories tomorrow night. This isn't much different than a wounded soldier returning home except the soldier knew what he could be signing up for and the people at the marathon didn't. And such incidents does effect all of us emotionally as well as knowing that something like this can happen anywhere.

Mods really need to think three moves ahead and lock this thread before it goes much longer.
Dude, take it upon yourself to tell me how I am off base. What does the completion of the race signify tomorrow?
Many of those who were injured in the race last year will be running/wheeling/walking it. It signifies to us all that we can over come fear. I don't think I'd want to return to the place where I was severely injured so big props to them.

I will be watching the survivor stories tomorrow night. This isn't much different than a wounded soldier returning home except the soldier knew what he could be signing up for and the people at the marathon didn't. And such incidents does effect all of us emotionally as well as knowing that something like this can happen anywhere.
And I am behind this - there will be great inspirational stories tomorrow about individual triumphs.

But I am drawing a fine line stating that the running of the marathon itself is not any more significant than any other year - and it's impossible to separate one from the other. I guess my posts are more as how the story is positioned in the news

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess my point is that at the end of the race, not a thing has changed. I get the closure it brings to some people (mostly participants and locals). But at the end of the day, there is no triumph over evil just because the marathon was completed without incident.
I disagree although I don't really believe in the concept of "evil" per se - just people who do evil things. In any event the authorities caught both the perpetrators with one dead and other probably in prison for the rest of his life (if he is not executed).

And the purpose of a terrorist act is to terrorize people and that didn't have the long term intended consequences the bombers hoped for - participation by runners and spectators does not appear to have been negatively impacted in Boston, or in other marathons, or in other sporting events. And the American public psyche has not been permanently scarred by this incident, so in my mind there is a triumph over what the perpetrators had hoped to accomplish beyond this heinous act in itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
I disagree although I don't really believe in concept of "evil" per se - just people who do evil things. In any event the authorities caught both the perpetrators with one dead and other probably in prison for the rest of his life (if he is not executed).

And the purpose of a terrorist act is to terrorize people and that didn't have the long term intended consequences the bombers hoped for - participation by runners and spectators does not appear to have been negatively impacted in Boston, or in other marathons, or in other sporting events. And the American public psyche has not been permanently scarred by this incident, so in my mind there is a triumph over what was the perpetrators had hoped to accomplish beyond this heinous act in itself.
Thanks for an intelligent response. I even buy into what you are saying on a local and personal level (Boston residents, marathon participants, viewers, etc). But I think it much less significant on a national level - which is opposite of how the media appears to be portraying it.

The Dude, do you also think coverage of anniversaries of other national tragedies are overblown?
three people dying at the hands of two idiots isn't a national tragedy.
How would you define a national tragedy?
not sure but I know that's not one
So being American on American soil and being bombed at a sporting/family event where people were blown to pieces doesnt constitute a tragedy.national or otherwise ? Strange.

The Dude, do you also think coverage of anniversaries of other national tragedies are overblown?
So being American on American soil and being bombed at a sporting/family event where people were blown to pieces doesnt constitute a tragedy.national or otherwise ? Strange.
How does being an american, or on american soil make it a tragedy? Are you suggesting that if this had happened at the London marathon, and only killed/maimed europeans that it would not be a tragedy?

How does being an american, or on american soil make it a tragedy? Are you suggesting that if this had happened at the London marathon, and only killed/maimed europeans that it would not be a tragedy?
Im suggesting that some idiots decided to attack Americans in America....and im guessing that Panther club is American ,you can figure out the rest

What type of thoughts are you looking for?
An intelligent one. One that would change my mind on the national significance of the marathon being run tomorrow. I don't think there is national significance - but it will be dominate CNN tomorrow. In between the coverage of the Malaysian airplane.

pantherclub said:
And it doesn't get any gayer than #bostonstrong.
I went to school and know personaly 3 guys who lost limbs in the bombing. I'd love for you to sit in a room and explain to them why you think the adopted slogan of an entire region that's trying to get past this tragedy is ####.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread