What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's a more accurate predictor, Astrology or Racism? (1 Viewer)

What's a more accurate predictor of a person's future behavior?

• Total voters

T Bell

Footballguy
You're asked to predict a person's future behavior. Big picture, small picture, it doesn't matter.

What provides a more reliable set of criteria for you to base your prediction upon, astrology or racism?

Please explain your answer.

How is racism a predictor? What's the theory?

I mean, if someone is born under Leo, some astrologcal nut could say they will be racist due to their "sign". I dunno how stars can "assign" anybody, and especially assign them racist.

Maybe astrology stems from ancient beliefs of indigenous tribes, left to those who used to spend a quarter dollar on the old biorhythm machines at a dive bar, just to see if they can get laid that night.

You asked a very good question. I don't think there is a solution for it. Yet I'm sure tim could help us here.

Baloney Sandwich said:
shouldn't the question be astrological sign or race?
Not unless you believe broad stereotypes about race aren't racism.
Sure, but the question might confusing to some people. It's unclear whether the "racism" option means you use race as a predictor, of if you are predicting based on the racist thoughts of the subject who's behavior you are predicting.

Say we are predicting Donald Sterling's behavior.....are we using the white or Jewish part to predict his behavior? Or that fact that he's a racist?

Last edited by a moderator:
So... something pretend or something real?

ETA: I read this as person A is both an Aries and a bigot. Which one helps you predict his future behavior?

Last edited by a moderator:
Libra, October 2nd:

You feel even better at math than usual today, which may be saying quite a lot! It’s not necessarily a surprise, though, because you may be terrible driver and maybe applying calculus to your methods could lead into a new way of seeing old problems that really helps.

No "null" option?

Writing in for that.

These things are both considered bad policy by most people precisely because most people believe either set of tools is inherently flawed. Many people believe this to the extent that they believe both are utterly useless as predictors of any given individual's future behavior. :shrug:

Baloney Sandwich said:
shouldn't the question be astrological sign or race?
Not unless you believe broad stereotypes about race aren't racism.
There is plenty of data one could review broken down by race to make assumptions about that person without bringing stereotypes into the process
:goodposting:

Is it racist to say that whites have a higher median net worth, or just factual?

Can we toss in the "magic 8-ball" to this poll as well? Should be about the same odds.

Serious answer: if by race, you mean that you're asking us to assume present socioeconomic situations with race, then yes, "racism" would be a better predictor than astrology (we is just random BS) because minorities have a higher rate of being poor and one could probably predict a person's path in life based on their financial status.

But, to suggest that skin color has some sort of correlation to a potential lifestyle or life path, is just stupid.

Users who are viewing this thread