What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

So now psychiatrists want to replace the term "pedophile" (1 Viewer)

CrossEyed

Footballguy
Mental Health Group Looks to Remove Stigma From Pedophilia

Published August 24, 2011 | FoxNews.com

A group of psychiatrists and other mental health professionals say it's time to change the way society views individuals who have physical attractions to children.

The organization, which calls itself B4U-Act, is lobbying for changes to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, or DSM, the guideline of standards on mental health that's put together by the American Psychiatric Association.

The group says its mission is to help pedophiles before they create a crisis, and to do so by offering a less critical view of the disorder.

"Stigmatizing and stereotyping minor-attracted people inflames the fears of minor-attracted people, mental health professionals and the public, without contributing to an understanding of minor-attracted people or the issue of child sexual abuse," reads the organization's website.

B4U-Act said that 38 individuals attended a symposium in Baltimore last week, including researchers from Harvard University, Johns Hopkins University and the universities of Illinois and Louisville. According to the group, which said to not endorse every point of view expressed, the speakers in attendance concluded that "minor-attracted" individuals are largely misunderstood and should not be criminalized even as their actions should be discouraged.

Speakers also argued that people who are sexually attracted to children should have input into the decision about how pedophilia is defined in the DSM, which they said is supposed to be a guide to promote “mental health vs. social control.”

The American Psychiatric Association did not participate in the conference, and evidently does not condone the group's message.

"An adult who engages in sexual activity with a child is performing a criminal and immoral act and this is never considered normal or socially acceptable behavior," the APA wrote in a 2003 position statement.

Critics of the effort also note that the movement likens its fight for pedophilia acceptance to society's more recent embrace of homosexuality. They warn of a slippery slope to a time when pedophilia is "just another lifestyle choice" that won't warrant criminal charges—and will leave young children at risk.

Fox News’ Shannon Bream contributed to this report.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/08/24/mental-health-group-looks-to-remove-stigma-from-pedophilia/#ixzz1VyoLasyy
Unbelievable. Pretty soon just about every deviant behavior will just be written off as people who are "misunderstood".

I don't like the term pedophile either. We should definately change it. I vote we change it to 'Child Rapist'. Who else agrees?
Pedophilia describes someone who is sexaully attracted to children. In order to be a child rapist, you would have to actually act on that attraction. So no, that's not a good substitute.

Why would you want to remove the stigma from pedophilia?
Don't you know? They're just misunderstood. They were born that way. Who are we to judge? Live and let live. :wall:
that's not exactly iti don't agree with this, but it is not like they are saying give them a free pass. They are saying less people may seek help if they have to go to a shrink and say "I am a pedophile".I think it is misguided, but its not like they are saying "lets let pedophiles have at it!!!!"

The people in the article sound like idiots, by the way. The reason why the term "pedophile" carries a stigma is because the thing it signifies is vile and repulsive. Changing the signifier isn't going to cause people to be more accepting of sexual attraction toward children.

"Fringe group wants to replace the term 'pedophile'"

No.....that won't work.

"Psychiatric group wants to replace the term 'pedophile'"

Nope.

"Some psychiatrists want to replace the term 'pedophile'"

Nah, not quite.

"Psychiatrists want to replace the term 'pedophile'"

Perfect!

The people in the article sound like idiots, by the way. The reason why the term "pedophile" carries a stigma is because the thing it signifies is vile and repulsive. Changing the signifier isn't going to cause people to be more accepting of sexual attraction toward children.
I agree 100%this is not a well thought out plan to mebut it is not some sinister plot to legalize pedophillia, it is well intentioned people trying to get help to people before they commit crimes. Their methods are just not going to be effectie, and they will piss people off

No.....that won't work.

Nope.

Nah, not quite.

Perfect!
Yeah seems to ignore that B4U-Act is just another NAMBLA. Founded by a convicted child molester and run by admitted pedophiles. This is not mainstream in any way and in fact the American Psychiatric Association has denounced this whole thing.

No.....that won't work.

Nope.

Nah, not quite.

Perfect!
Yeah seems to ignore that B4U-Act is just another NAMBLA. Founded by a convicted child molester and run by admitted pedophiles. This is not mainstream in any way and in fact the American Psychiatric Association has denounced this whole thing.
If that is true i retract "well meaning"either way nothing here was saying "lets ok pedophillia" and the slippery slope stuff is stupid, and the real reason this story has any legs

No.....that won't work.

Nope.

Nah, not quite.

Perfect!
If that is true i retract "well meaning"either way nothing here was saying "lets ok pedophillia" and the slippery slope stuff is stupid, and the real reason this story has any legs
B4U-Act states that pedophiles aren't sick and don't need a cure. In fact the founder removed all reference to keeping pedophiles from offending from the site. This is all a smoke screen.

No.....that won't work.

Nope.

Nah, not quite.

Perfect!
:goodposting:

Pedophilia is actually a much more narrow definition (pre-pubescent) than what we criminalize, so I'd actually sign on to coming up wih something like "minor-attracted" to be more accurate and inclusive. However, suggesting we should do so to protect their feelings is pretty ludicrous and I'd imagine in a short time "minor-attracted" would carry the same stigma because to most being attracted to kids is sick and disgusting.

No.....that won't work.

Nope.

Nah, not quite.

Perfect!
:lmao: well done.

'IvanKaramazov said:
'Deranged Hermit said:
I don't like the term pedophile either. We should definately change it. I vote we change it to 'Child Rapist'. Who else agrees?
Pedophilia describes someone who is sexaully attracted to children. In order to be a child rapist, you would have to actually act on that attraction. So no, that's not a good substitute.
Not a good substitute. But then again I don't care much about people's thought crimes. The minute they become a child rapist, though, they should be thrown into a deep, dark dungeon for life.

I always thought pedophilia was the term meant for people attracted to pre-pubescent children, while there was another term for attraction to post-pubescent minors. I also always found it odd that the level of punishment isn't any different for raping a toddler vs. having sex with someone one day younger than some arbitrary age of consent.

Last edited by a moderator:
But then again I don't care much about people's thought crimes.
What the psychiatrists are saying here is that if we can understand these people better, perhaps we can help to prevent them from actually committing crimes. As much as the idea of "accepting" pedophilia disturbs me, I understand their motivation, and I can even intellectually sympathize with them (though not emotionally.)

I always thought pedophilia was the term meant for people attracted to pre-pubescent children, while there was another term for attraction to post-pubescent minors. I also always found it odd that the level of punishment isn't any different for raping a toddler vs. having sex with someone one day younger than some arbitrary age of consent.
Not true. At least here there are two charges - for someone under 12 (or thereabouts) and for above. The punishment for the former is much harsher, if memory serves.

:goodposting: It absolutely should be. That was one thing that really disturbed me about the Catholic priest scandal. Priests who had affairs with physically developed teenagers were lumped together with other priests who molested young children. I am not arguing that the former is right- it isn't, and deserves to be punished. But the latter is far far worse.

But then again I don't care much about people's thought crimes.
What the psychiatrists are saying here is that if we can understand these people better, perhaps we can help to prevent them from actually committing crimes. As much as the idea of "accepting" pedophilia disturbs me, I understand their motivation, and I can even intellectually sympathize with them (though not emotionally.)
I don't get the whole "understanding" thing here. If someone has theses urges they are human and are able to resist base urges. One of the good parts of being sentient. Heck, I love bank heist movies. When I go into a bank I'll typically look around for the cameras and figure out what I would do to hit the place, Point Break style. Thought crime - I'd never actually do a bank heist (I like my freedom). These folks should be the same - I don't care what they think. As long as they don't act on whatever they are thinking.

In Arizona it is. <14 is a "dangerous crime against children" and can get you life. >14 is 12.5 or higher, depending on criminal history.

Not true. At least here there are two charges - for someone under 12 (or thereabouts) and for above. The punishment for the former is much harsher, if memory serves.
It really varies by state.

'Joe Summer said:

No.....that won't work.

Nope.

Nah, not quite.

Perfect!
:goodposting:

'17seconds said:
'CrossEyed said:
'Jewell said:
Why would you want to remove the stigma from pedophilia?
Don't you know? They're just misunderstood. They were born that way. Who are we to judge? Live and let live. :wall:
You aren't comparing it to gay acceptance are you?
Fox seems to be doing just that:
Critics of the effort also note that the movement likens its fight for pedophilia acceptance to society's more recent embrace of homosexuality. They warn of a slippery slope to a time when pedophilia is "just another lifestyle choice" that won't warrant criminal charges—and will leave young children at risk.

Medically Pedophilia is the attraction to prepubescent children age 13 and younger. Hebephilia refers to attraction to early pubescent children 11-14. Ephebophilia refers to attraction to children in the 15-19 range. Of course that one seems a lot trickier definition. In general use pedophilia refers to sexual interest in any minor child.

Users who are viewing this thread