What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Apple CEO Tim Cook outed as gay on CNBC (1 Viewer)

Meh.

I'm sort of of the opinion that when you go ahead and accept one of the visible and public positions in the known universe, you do so knowing that the rewards will be immense, but you'll certainly be giving up a lot in terms of privacy and peace of mind. Not only will things that leak about you invariably become newsworthy, but every Tom, Richard, and TMZ on the planet will try to force those leaks open every chance they get.

Comes with the territory. :shrug:

He coulda led a nice, quiet, unassuming, gay life. I don't blame him for being disappointed he couldn't have his cake and eat it too. But when the famous and the powerful complain about the drawbacks of fame and power, I find it pretty hard to work up much more than a shrug.

GordonGekko said:
Considering this article and factoring in the implications, I want to take a moment to publicly and directly apologize to a couple of fellow FBG's that I have outed as gay on this board.

If I have a personal problem with you, I should find another way to resolve that issue with you. ( Punching someone in the face always works. Using my contacts at the IRS to get you audited. Using a nailgun and created a wreath on your door with your pet. Things like that. ) If I've got a personal problem if I've been openly and publicly attacked by someone, I shouldn't bring their sexual preferences into the conflict. I've always believed there's plenty of reason to hate people long before you get to things like race, preferences, religion, gender, etc.

I wouldn't want some 14 year old kid who finally figures out that he/she is different to fear shaming for what they prefer. If I don't want that for one, I can't want it for all. I want for the world to exist as such if people are going to hate that 14 year old, it will be for how they act, their character and their choices. I don't want gays to use their bedroom lives as a shield, so I shouldn't use it as a noose.

Be as tolerant as you wish the world would tolerate you. I said that to MacArtist, I should hold to it.

My apologies to three fellow FBGs. You might deserve to be shamed for how you act, but you shouldn't be shamed for how you live.

GG.
Apology accepted.

GordonGekko said:
Considering this article and factoring in the implications, I want to take a moment to publicly and directly apologize to a couple of fellow FBG's that I have outed as gay on this board.

If I have a personal problem with you, I should find another way to resolve that issue with you. ( Punching someone in the face always works. Using my contacts at the IRS to get you audited. Using a nailgun and created a wreath on your door with your pet. Things like that. ) If I've got a personal problem if I've been openly and publicly attacked by someone, I shouldn't bring their sexual preferences into the conflict. I've always believed there's plenty of reason to hate people long before you get to things like race, preferences, religion, gender, etc.

I wouldn't want some 14 year old kid who finally figures out that he/she is different to fear shaming for what they prefer. If I don't want that for one, I can't want it for all. I want for the world to exist as such if people are going to hate that 14 year old, it will be for how they act, their character and their choices. I don't want gays to use their bedroom lives as a shield, so I shouldn't use it as a noose.

Be as tolerant as you wish the world would tolerate you. I said that to MacArtist, I should hold to it.

My apologies to three fellow FBGs. You might deserve to be shamed for how you act, but you shouldn't be shamed for how you live.

GG.
I don't think you outed Otis and Righetti.

GordonGekko said:

GG.
You think Todd Andrews, TGunz and drummer will accept your apology?

Last edited by a moderator:
He didn't out him. It was fairly common knowledge in the tech world and no one cared.
Well, sounds like a lot of the American public and FFA population didn't know.
One of those poorly kept secrets. But to say he was outed would mean no one knew until that guy said it. Like his family, friends and co-workers didn't know. Which isn't even close to true. He didn't make a big public spectacle is all.

GordonGekko said:
I've said this to MacArtist ( she has outed herself for a long time here, so hopefully she doesn't think I'm trying to extend an olive branch in her direction. ) several times. That I found it odd she would have a sub heading indicating she was female here, use an avatar denoting she was female the consistently talk about girl on girl sex or touching or kissing or things intentionally designed to rile up a community that's probably 99 percent male then in other topics, decry that her sexuality is used against her and she is discriminated against for being a lesbian. If you don't want to be defined by your sexuality, don't define yourself with it. I think it's short sighted for straight people to only define gay people simply by their sexuality. I also think it's beyond sad when a gay person decides, by their actions, that the only relevant and worthwhile thing about them is being gay.

I'll say this to any gay person here, including MacArtist, to her face or to their faces -

If the thing you are known in life most for by your friends, your family, your coworkers, the people around you, is being gay, then what kind of life is that really?
Probably a much happier life than the one you are living.

Most gay people I know seem much better adjusted to living in the real world of 2014 than you appear to be from the postings in this forum (which always seems to be a lengthy 10-12 paragraph rant about something that I don't usually have either the attention span or interest to read in its entirety).

And you have a really one dimensional view of gay people if you think that coming out to one's friends, family or coworkers means that piece of information is the "only relevant and worthwhile thing about them".

Those of you who skip GG posts, do your selves a favor and at least watch the video link in the post above.

Was already public knowledge. Maybe some people weren't paying attention since it isn't a big deal.

Those of you who skip GG posts, do your selves a favor and at least watch the video link in the post above.
The guy who was complaining is much more like the gay people I have known. But hey that guy exists on the hetero side as well. Lots of calendars up with half naked women, every comment to or about a women is sexual, etc.

I don't believe I want to live in a world or help create a world where a 14 year old, boy or girl, decides it's just easier to cut open their wrists than deal with the reality of the brutal world around them. I think it's a question everyone should ask themselves, both gay and straight - Are you helping to build a better world for that kid to feel safe and feel like they have a place in this world? Or are you acting in a way that is essentially like handing that kid a razor blade?
I think this is very well said and as a parent of two small children, I worry as much about how the world will treat them as anything else.

To your point about (paraphrase) "what kind of life is it if the thing people identify about you is your sexuality?" I think that confuses your earlier point that a person should be able to live and feel safe with who they are. If a person wants to have their sexuality or wealth or snark or poverty or charity, etc. be the thing they "hang their hat on" then I'm not sure it makes much sense to judge that any hat-hanger is better or worse then any other. People change, lives change, we are the sum of not just what we do but how it effects other people.

The guy who was complaining is much more like the gay people I have known. But hey that guy exists on the hetero side as well. Lots of calendars up with half naked women, every comment to or about a women is sexual, etc.
Don't break anything straining to force a moral equivalence and 'the other side does it too!!!!' It's a joke.

Don't break anything straining to force a moral equivalence and 'the other side does it too!!!!' It's a joke.
A joke being used to make a point. I'm not straining anything. I am merely saying you could do that same skit with flaming hetero guy. We all know at least one of them.

:lmao:

Thanks for the heads up.... I did indeed skip over GG's monologue. Love me some Key and Peele... and that video definitely nailed it.

As far as the topic goes....

100% chance the bigot bible thumpers translate this into some sort of boycott.

A joke being used to make a point. I'm not straining anything. I am merely saying you could do that same skit with flaming hetero guy. We all know at least one of them.
Sure. And? The skit used a persecuted minority (gays) and the social tendency for some members of a persecuted minority to far overplay the stereotype and alienate all those outside their group to play the victim. It's hilarious. But it's interesting that your comment had to be 'Most gays aren't like that. Some non-gays are like that.' We all know that.

GordonGekko said:
One of those poorly kept secrets. But to say he was outed would mean no one knew until that guy said it. Like his family, friends and co-workers didn't know. Which isn't even close to true. He didn't make a big public spectacle is all.
One of the things that I have mentioned a lot and makes me take pause often on the "gay issue" is the idea of a 13 or 14 year old, who has discovered that they are "different" and fear the potential reprisal of their parents, their class mates, their friends, their church, basically their entire world around them.

One of the most saddening things I've ever watched was Michael Moore's interview with Matt Stone ( of Southpark fame) who was a resident near the Colombine massacre and said he wished those two kids had seen a world outside of high school, a different world, that there is a big difference when you can make more of your own choices and not be trapped in the painful constraints of teenage life.

I don't believe I want to live in a world or help create a world where a 14 year old, boy or girl, decides it's just easier to cut open their wrists than deal with the reality of the brutal world around them. I think it's a question everyone should ask themselves, both gay and straight - Are you helping to build a better world for that kid to feel safe and feel like they have a place in this world? Or are you acting in a way that is essentially like handing that kid a razor blade?

There are lots of straight people who do that kid zero favors. But, on the flip side, there are lots of gay people as well (including the gay lobbyists and agenda seekers who think it's ok to publish what the Apple CEO does in his bedroom, even if 99 percent of the world knows it), who do that kid absolute zero favors.

Generally, I find these Key and Peele skit interesting because it covers a lot of what I think causes frustration for non gays out there -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3h6es6zh1c

I'll say the same that I say when I discuss the Rooney Rule, being "gay" or any other disenfranchised group with a powerful lobby in a culture of adversarial legalism, does not absolve you of the question of what kind of human being you are. I think a lot of folks find the outrage, not in someone's bedroom, but in the idea that their determination of you as a person has been taken away. Almost universally, I think lots of gays deal with a lot of unfair intolerance. I also think a lot of gays become intolerant themselves, refusing to acknowledge that it simply isn't easy for non gays to deal with gays in a culture where the media weaponizes agendas and devastating PR and threat of lawsuits creates a legal and social mine field. While it might just be 1 or 2 percent that didn't know about the Apple CEO, that 1 or 2 percent belonged to him, not to gays, not to the media, not the gay agenda of what they think they are entitled to from other gays.

I wouldn't want anyone to spit in Michael Sam's face for being gay. Then again, I don't think who he sleeps with is justification enough for taking control of the entire narrative of the 2014 NFL Draft and forcing NFL front offices to rock back on their heels for fear of league, public and corporate reprisal for any perceived misstep, even something innocuous. A 14 year old who accepts themselves, even at risk of reprisal, that to me is courage. Not some movie star milking some free PR or some middling athlete trying to score a book deal and reality show. Sorry for some of you, but I'm not going to use the same word ( courage) for someone sharing their bedroom preferences as I would for a NY cop or firefighter who decided to run into a burning building and died there trying to save others.

I've said this to MacArtist ( she has outed herself for a long time here, so hopefully she doesn't think I'm trying to extend an olive branch in her direction. ) several times. That I found it odd she would have a sub heading indicating she was female here, use an avatar denoting she was female the consistently talk about girl on girl sex or touching or kissing or things intentionally designed to rile up a community that's probably 99 percent male then in other topics, decry that her sexuality is used against her and she is discriminated against for being a lesbian. If you don't want to be defined by your sexuality, don't define yourself with it. I think it's short sighted for straight people to only define gay people simply by their sexuality. I also think it's beyond sad when a gay person decides, by their actions, that the only relevant and worthwhile thing about them is being gay.

I'll say this to any gay person here, including MacArtist, to her face or to their faces -

If the thing you are known in life most for by your friends, your family, your coworkers, the people around you, is being gay, then what kind of life is that really?

It's just as toxic and soul crushing as seeing people who define themselves by their career, by money, by the achievements of their children, by their fame or any other proxy for the pertinent question of what kind of person are you really in this life?

That someone like MacArtist wants to hang her hat on being a lesbian is just as sad to me as Otis or Dentist thinking a lot of money or banging the "right kind of chick" or getting that "perfect house/retirement/lifestyle" will magically and finally push them into being the kind of person and live the kind of lives they think they deserve.

That 14 year old kid deserves better. Better from those of us who are non gay and also from those of you who are gay. The responsibility to build a better world, in that regard, is "equal"
Some serious troll bait here.

You realize MA is a world class graphic designer, photographer, and has overcome many other challenges if you ever actually got to know her right?

GordonGekko said:
One of the things that I have mentioned a lot and makes me take pause often on the "gay issue" is the idea of a 13 or 14 year old, who has discovered that they are "different" and fear the potential reprisal of their parents, their class mates, their friends, their church, basically their entire world around them.

One of the most saddening things I've ever watched was Michael Moore's interview with Matt Stone ( of Southpark fame) who was a resident near the Colombine massacre and said he wished those two kids had seen a world outside of high school, a different world, that there is a big difference when you can make more of your own choices and not be trapped in the painful constraints of teenage life.

There are lots of straight people who do that kid zero favors. But, on the flip side, there are lots of gay people as well (including the gay lobbyists and agenda seekers who think it's ok to publish what the Apple CEO does in his bedroom, even if 99 percent of the world knows it), who do that kid absolute zero favors.

Generally, I find these Key and Peele skit interesting because it covers a lot of what I think causes frustration for non gays out there -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3h6es6zh1c

I'll say the same that I say when I discuss the Rooney Rule, being "gay" or any other disenfranchised group with a powerful lobby in a culture of adversarial legalism, does not absolve you of the question of what kind of human being you are. I think a lot of folks find the outrage, not in someone's bedroom, but in the idea that their determination of you as a person has been taken away. Almost universally, I think lots of gays deal with a lot of unfair intolerance. I also think a lot of gays become intolerant themselves, refusing to acknowledge that it simply isn't easy for non gays to deal with gays in a culture where the media weaponizes agendas and devastating PR and threat of lawsuits creates a legal and social mine field. While it might just be 1 or 2 percent that didn't know about the Apple CEO, that 1 or 2 percent belonged to him, not to gays, not to the media, not the gay agenda of what they think they are entitled to from other gays.

I wouldn't want anyone to spit in Michael Sam's face for being gay. Then again, I don't think who he sleeps with is justification enough for taking control of the entire narrative of the 2014 NFL Draft and forcing NFL front offices to rock back on their heels for fear of league, public and corporate reprisal for any perceived misstep, even something innocuous. A 14 year old who accepts themselves, even at risk of reprisal, that to me is courage. Not some movie star milking some free PR or some middling athlete trying to score a book deal and reality show. Sorry for some of you, but I'm not going to use the same word ( courage) for someone sharing their bedroom preferences as I would for a NY cop or firefighter who decided to run into a burning building and died there trying to save others.

It's just as toxic and soul crushing as seeing people who define themselves by their career, by money, by the achievements of their children, by their fame or any other proxy for the pertinent question of what kind of person are you really in this life?

That someone like MacArtist wants to hang her hat on being a lesbian is just as sad to me as Otis or Dentist thinking a lot of money or banging the "right kind of chick" or getting that "perfect house/retirement/lifestyle" will magically and finally push them into being the kind of person and live the kind of lives they think they deserve.

That 14 year old kid deserves better. Better from those of us who are non gay and also from those of you who are gay. The responsibility to build a better world, in that regard, is "equal"
Some serious troll bait here.

You realize MA is a world class graphic designer, photographer, and has overcome many other challenges if you ever actually got to know her right?
Well to be fair she has said some things that got her in hot water with a lot more people than just whoever has the keys to GG today.

Users who are viewing this thread