What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Carrying Pads as "Hazing" (1 Viewer)

Did you play competitive sports in high school?

• Total voters

fantasycurse42

Footballguy Jr.
Situation:

Competitive HS football team. At the end of practice some of the seniors tell the freshman and sophs to carry their pads back to the locker room. Let's say this was as intense as the "hazing" gets.

Does this bother you?

Voted meh. I was subjected to this on several baseball teams. Didn't bother me to do it and didn't think it was a big deal. The seniors/captains who went overboard with this I thought were #######s though. Definitely think it's pretty dumb, but find it totally distinguishable from some of the really nasty hazing techniques out there.

When it was "my turn" I never made anybody do anything.

If you don't carry pads we probably don't look out for you, invite you to parties or just generally acknowledge you

Voted meh. I was subjected to this on several baseball teams. Didn't bother me to do it and didn't think it was a big deal. The seniors/captains who went overboard with this I thought were #######s though. Definitely think it's pretty dumb, but find it totally distinguishable from some of the really nasty hazing techniques out there.

It is meh until it's not.

I played sports and there was always some sort of teasing towards freshman. Nothing major that I recall but looking back it's dumb and in today's age you get labeled the B word and you will easily find yourself suspended. Coaches are better off trying to squash even the smallest amount of any hazing.

not worth the risk of someone taking it too far

It is meh until it's not.

I played sports and there was always some sort of teasing towards freshman. Nothing major that I recall but looking back it's dumb and in today's age you get labeled the B word and you will easily find yourself suspended. Coaches are better off trying to squash even the smallest amount of any hazing.

But that wasn't the question. You're reframing the issue.

ETA: If not clear, I think the whole practice of making freshman carry pads/equipment is really stupid. But it's not hazing. Personally, my main experience is with baseball where it was the "rookies" job to take care of all the equipment. I found it dumb, but not that big of a deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah don't want the little mommas boys to have their delicate feelings hurt because they had to rake the ####### field.

When we go camping...we still make the youngest guys carry the coolers. Pissing on people younger than you has been around since caveman times.

Complaining about this type of stuff is a great example of how men have given women (and girly men) power over their (for lack of better words) boys clubs.

It is meh until it's not.I played sports and there was always some sort of teasing towards freshman. Nothing major that I recall but looking back it's dumb and in today's age you get labeled the B word and you will easily find yourself suspended. Coaches are better off trying to squash even the smallest amount of any hazing.

But that wasn't the question. You're reframing the issue. ETA: If not clear, I think the whole practice of making freshman carry pads/equipment is really stupid. But it's not hazing. Personally, my main experience is with baseball where it was the "rookies" job to take care of all the equipment. I found it dumb, but not that big of a deal.
It's a form of hazing.

I agree on its own it's not that big of a deal. Just saying in today's time it's a form of bullying. May sound dumb but it is what it is.

When we go camping...we still make the youngest guys carry the coolers. Pissing on people younger than you has been around since caveman times.
That just sounds creepy... :oldunsure:
It doesn't really get creepy until we bring out the vaseline, glow sticks and zip ties. That's why the youngest guy is never EVER the youngest guy again.
This is lacrosse isn't it??

I grew up in the city and lacrosse was that weird white kid sport. This seems like things kids playing lacrosse would do.

It doesn't really get creepy until we bring out the vaseline, glow sticks and zip ties. That's why the youngest guy is never EVER the youngest guy again.

I grew up in the city and lacrosse was that weird white kid sport. This seems like things kids playing lacrosse would do.
Yeah, to me that's kind of the funny part. Hazing appears to be a total "white" kid thing. The hockey, lacrosse, and rugby teams at my college had some of the most insane hazing techniques. Like salty cracker, punch bowl, naked runs, etc.

I've never come across anything like this even at the most benign levels in high school or college. Is this more common in football?

I don't know. I'm talking about camping.

This is lacrosse isn't it??I grew up in the city and lacrosse was that weird white kid sport. This seems like things kids playing lacrosse would do.
I don't know. I'm talking about camping.
I need to start camping outside on NJ

hey everyone fatnastycurse played football and really wants you to know that and it is a mans game and when men are playing a mans game that is what men do they make other guys do stupid stuff so that they can feel like big men it is the pinnacle of being a man to make other guys do what you want under the threat of violence i mean man is it cool in fact if you do that then bam instantly you are awesome and the best ever well either that or you are just some jagbag who threatened to hurt other guys if they did not carry crap for you and now you for some reason look back at and think it makes you something see the truth is that any jboy who looks back and thinks that being an ahole to other guys is a good memory probably deserves to get launched in to the sun take that to the bank brohans

Carrying pads? Nah, not really a big deal. Having consequences for not carrying pads? That's a bigger deal and its the tip of the iceberg where bullying is concerned. If kids could be trusted to have restraint then maybe some soft hazing would be good for comraderie but the problem is the a-holes with issues who take it too far. It's not worth the potential damage it can cause by an over zealous dbag: http://www.eonline.com/eol_images/Entire_Site/2012912/1024.4ben.ls.101212.jpg

Zow said:
comfortably numb said:
Thunderlips said:
Sinn Fein said:
Thunderlips said:

Yeah, to me that's kind of the funny part. Hazing appears to be a total spoiled, privileged "white" kid thing. The hockey, lacrosse, and rugby teams at my college had some of the most insane hazing techniques. Like salty cracker, punch bowl, naked runs, etc.
fixed.

I wouldnt carry squat for the seniors, tell them to blow me and show them up on the field.

Id have to be out of my mind to consider carrying pads.

Carrying pads? Nah, not really a big deal. Having consequences for not carrying pads? That's a bigger deal and its the tip of the iceberg where bullying is concerned. If kids could be trusted to have restraint then maybe some soft hazing would be good for comraderie but the problem is the a-holes with issues who take it too far. It's not worth the potential damage it can cause by an over zealous dbag: http://www.eonline.com/eol_images/Entire_Site/2012912/1024.4ben.ls.101212.jpg
Would it be fair to ostracize someone who didn't carry the pads?

when I was in high school kids were getting duct taped to the flagpole or in the middle of the school hallway

teachers just walked by didn't care

Effing seniors should show some leadership and carry the equipment themselves. Any jagbag can tell somebody else to do it. Be a positive example and inspire the underlings.

I have a problem with the seniors telling the sophomores to carry pads, but no problem with their telling the freshman to carry pads. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread