What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tech/Excel Guys - Question (1 Viewer)

mquinnjr

Footballguy
I have an Excel 2010 spreadsheet for which I password protect my banking data to track my bills, savings, etc. Keep it locally. Always sync the password up with my work PC password every 90 days manually, which is required to be a strong password so that I can keep track. Reset it two days ago, went to refresh the spreadsheet last night, and I now know when I setup the new password in I botched it, set the password incorrectly and now can't get in since I set it not to what I thought I had :bag:

I did some work on Google to see if there are any password recovery programs out there to strip the password to open an Excel 2010 formatted password required to open file, and of course Microsoft improved the encryption after 2007 to make this very difficult. Lots of sites offering to "crack" it brute force method, but this is a file I keep locally for a reason. No way I'm uploading it to some sham 3rd party in the cloud that I'd have to pay, with no guarantee of stripping off the file open password and opening myself up to instant ID theft.

Anybody know of a solution here that's not out to rip me off, optimally a program that I could download and do the fix locally myself?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate any help here.

:blackdot:

I keep my username password file in password protected Excel file as well and I also thought that it would be easy to crack via a simple VBA macro, but I was too lazy to do something else. I have no help to offer, but I want to keep tabs on what the fix is.

I seem to recall doing this in Excel 2003 a long time ago via a VBA that I found online...That's all the help I can offer though...You basically ran this macro and it unlocked it. I guess if that's the case, one has to ask if it's worth password protecting it in the first place, right?

I've done what Fat Nick describes to crack password protected files from others and that I've forgotten.

I seem to recall doing this in Excel 2003 a long time ago via a VBA that I found online...That's all the help I can offer though...You basically ran this macro and it unlocked it. I guess if that's the case, one has to ask if it's worth password protecting it in the first place, right?
Yeah, I read that Microsoft was aware of how easy it was to break Spreadsheet p/w protection in older Excel versions, so they beefed up their security from Excel 2007-on (of course they did). I'm pretty embarrassed that I botched setting a new password, I'm usually very good with this stuff, and just did it while tired, all on me.

I feel like it's worth p/w protecting since it's basically my financial life, but agree with scoresman, if it's locally stored only a strong password is overkill.

I'm going to do more digging when I get home from work, I'll update if I get anywhere with it. I'm also using a personal Mac, which I'm sure will hinder me as well since any programs that could even potentially help are almost always written for Windows. Might have to fire up Parallels desktop or something if it goes that far. My work PC is "kiddie proofed," so that won't help either.

Have you tried uploading it to google docs? Not sure if you need the password or if it carries over to GD, but it was a random thought I had.

2003 was ridiculously easy to hack, but now not so much.

Is there a system restore or backup you can go back and recover a previous version? I'm sure you've thought of that, and it wouldn't be the most current, but it's the best I can offer.

I've done it at work, and the best the IT could give me was the previous day's backup. I lost that days work, but it beat the alternative.

Is there a system restore or backup you can go back and recover a previous version? I'm sure you've thought of that, and it wouldn't be the most current, but it's the best I can offer.

I've done it at work, and the best the IT could give me was the previous day's backup. I lost that days work, but it beat the alternative.
I don't think those Windows system restores impact saved files. It's more for system settings and registry changes and stuff. Now if you had a full HD mirror or something, that would work...

I think my brother has a program that will do this....he is out for the day but i will ask tomorrow. :blackdot:

If it is a Password to Open and the password is "synthetic", then there are no chances with a common brute force. Even in case video card searching (password searching speed on video cards is much higher).

If you have any idea about the password structure, create a password mask and check passwords by mask.

If you created passwords using simple words, carry out a dictionary attack by means of transforming them.

All these features are implemented in our programs and there are video exmples demonstrating how to use them on YouTube chanel

Anybody know of a solution here that's not out to rip me off, optimally a program that I could download and do the fix locally myself?

Thanks for all the input, guys. Going to hunker down at some point this weekend with a few consecutive hours/afternoon to burn and try to hammer this out.

Oh, and appropriate on multiple levels, I see now in this thread: :ptts:

I have an Excel 2010 spreadsheet for which I password protect my banking data to track my bills, savings, etc. Keep it locally. Always sync the password up with my work PC password every 90 days manually, which is required to be a strong password so that I can keep track. Reset it two days ago, went to refresh the spreadsheet last night, and I now know when I setup the new password in I botched it, set the password incorrectly and now can't get in since I set it not to what I thought I had :bag:

I did some work on Google to see if there are any password recovery programs out there to strip the password to open an Excel 2010 formatted password required to open file, and of course Microsoft improved the encryption after 2007 to make this very difficult. Lots of sites offering to "crack" it brute force method, but this is a file I keep locally for a reason. No way I'm uploading it to some sham 3rd party in the cloud that I'd have to pay, with no guarantee of stripping off the file open password and opening myself up to instant ID theft.

When did you last back up the XL? If it was more than two days ago then you could go grab that version and just update what you've done since.

Yeah, I read that Microsoft was aware of how easy it was to break Spreadsheet p/w protection in older Excel versions, so they beefed up their security from Excel 2007-on (of course they did). I'm pretty embarrassed that I botched setting a new password, I'm usually very good with this stuff, and just did it while tired, all on me.

I feel like it's worth p/w protecting since it's basically my financial life, but agree with scoresman, if it's locally stored only a strong password is overkill.

I'm going to do more digging when I get home from work, I'll update if I get anywhere with it. I'm also using a personal Mac, which I'm sure will hinder me as well since any programs that could even potentially help are almost always written for Windows. Might have to fire up Parallels desktop or something if it goes that far. My work PC is "kiddie proofed," so that won't help either.
Do you have a Time Machine on the Mac? If so, you can bump back a bit and get a previous copy of the sheet.

As luck would have it, I was at an Excel class this week. While the class didnt address such an issue, I did email the teacher and asked. Here was his reply:

[SIZE=medium]That is a tough one! My only recommendation is to upload to a personal Google Drive account. That sometimes will remove the password. Assuming that they trust Google more than a different third party website. [/SIZE]

Users who are viewing this thread